1150 TSN Radio off the air!

Assuming CHML (Corus) getting broadcast rights to a Bell Media property is easier said than done ? Lions and Bummers are in the same boat.

Just watched Sportscentre on TSN. Not a word on CFL free agency. Ran on the bottom ticker screen

UNBELIEVABLE. Why ignore the CFL? :poop: :poop: :poop:

If the CFL owners are not willing to play an 18 game season, with or without fans, what stops Bell/TSN from cancelling their existing contract? For 2021 a full season is possible if the owners are willing to absorb the losses.
If I was Bell/ TSN I would want product to show from June to September before the NFL starts up. Their NFL ratings are very good, so they might decide they don't need the CFL anymore.
I think not playing an 18 game schedule could have some even larger negative consequences . Seeing how Bell is already cutting some CFL radio programming and also seem to be ignoring free agency this does not look good for the league.

Something was missing this morning. :thinking: :scream:

1 Like

My thoughts too. In fact many providers have been pitching this for years . I think the Cats will do something independently.

1 Like

Obviously i have no clue? Your not a very good detective!

How can a league that had to cancel an entire season because it is so dependent on ticket sales afford to start up, and provide programming for, either a radio operation or a TV network?

Caretaker is a dot com guy
Hopefully he will find a way to get the Ticats to their fans around the City, the Country and around the world

3 Likes

I think it is realistic that each team could set up some sort of Internet radio play by play from their websites or apps, but in terms of a station or channel that someone can listen to in their car, that is a whole different thing.

Let's be honest here at the gate driven model is a failure
The CFL needs to change its Revenue model in order to survive
Covid just sped up the inevitable and now the CFL must make a decision to survive
I don't know how that is done but a hand out we'll just keep them going with the status quote and that won't work in my opinion long-term

What I propose is this
The league take a hard look at the way it does business
And come up with a new Revenue model once that in place
Approach the Canadian government for a 30-year loan
This loan will be paid back at a 3% interest rate for the first 10 years
After that the percentage will drop .5% every two years till it reaches 1.5%
But you have to change your Revenue model or else the Canadian government is not going to give you any money gate driven leagues can't work anymore

You could listen to it over your phone in the car

1 Like

The CFL only has one option when it comes to “revenue models”. Any!

Sure……with a very good data plan.

You are correct and things change so fast, fewer people listening to the radio. With fewer people listening it means advertisers are not buying air time. I have sirius in my car and never listen to a radio station, music without talk, sirius also broadcasts all CFL games.
Same at home, every Canadian probably has access to the internet and that’s the future for not only listening but for viewing too. More and more people have cut their cable/satellite and just stream.
The first line second paragraph from the President and COO - “the media world has changed drastically since our original agreement in 2016 with TSN” - less than 5 years things have changed drastically.

1 Like

A likelier scenario is TC games being carried by Funny820..the only other Bell Media station in this market.

1 Like

Bell’s Q4 financial report:

1 Like

My God. They are in the poor house. No wonder they laid off so many employees. (sarcasm alert - the preceding was meant to be heard with the most sarcastic voice possible).

3 Likes

That could be!

FYI, this is the answer to the suggestions that pop up occasionally that Bell/TSN/MLSE should prop up the CFL with multi-million dollar hand-outs or contributions.

For-profit companies do not just hand over this kind of cash with no hope of earning a return. Even if they are very profitable or wealthy companies.

Furthermore, if certain business units are losing money, they will make cuts to those units or sell/close them altogether. Even if other business units are highly profitable.

That’s just the way of the world. Sorry.

1 Like