1150 TSN Radio off the air!

This morning during the Marsh and Melo morning show they were talking about Free Agency like any normal day. Then at noon I tuned in and there was a pre-taped financial show instead of sports . Now I am reading that Bell Media has taken 1150 TSN Hamilton off the air as part of their cost cutting initiatives. ( I think this was just mentioned on another thread but I think it deserves its own thread)
I have listened to these guys every morning for 3 years and their 4:00PM Ticat show during the season was always great.
I would sometime play the radio broadcast instead of the TSN sound as well. Who will be covering the games on the radio? This is a big, big loss.

There will now be ZERO CFL Coverage in Southern Ontario.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see where Tiger-Cat broadcasts end up. Wouldn't be surprised to see them return to CHML, which I would be fine with actually.

1 Like

With 1/10 the content, knowledge and insight.

Media is an even tougher business than football. At least with football, generally the number of paid gigs does not decline over time.

Agreed. Its been on CHML for most of my life.

Why do you say that? CHML has a great football tradition going back to 1927 with hall of fame sportscasters (Norm Marshall) and were the coverage until 2015 when TSN muscled out a local station.

1 Like

And, I don't care what anybody says. You can't beat the Fifth Quarter call-in show on CHML. I found myself always turning to the 5th Quarter still driving home from THF vs. listening to TSN1150's post-game show.

2 Likes

Feel bad for Staff 1150 there I hope The Cat Games return to 900 CHML..

2 Likes

It is terrible that this morning Ferguson was still tweeting for people to tune in to their live Free Agency show at noon. Wow, that is harsh.
I hope CHML is able to pick up the slack and do the radio broadcasts. I agree that the 5th Quarter was always a favorite of mine. In the 80's during the blackout era CHML and before that 680 CHAM were the only way I was able to "watch " most games. I wonder if the ratings were good for TSN radio game broadcasts?

1 Like

Obviously you have no clue what content Ferguson provided through the week.
There isnt anyone at CHML that even approaches his knowledge and insight.
It isnt the single game broadcast thats lost its TC and league coverage between games.
At least two hours of knowledgeable, useful CFL talk on average five days a week now gone in a market where CFL already gets squelched.
This is bad.

3 Likes

This is an opportunity for the CFL to get a CFL channel on SiriusXFM on satellite radio or something more ambitious with a CFL Network on Cable just like how the NFL has on Canadian Television

1 Like

Re: the Ticats official statement...

It sounds like a dream come true for all those chatboard members who are convinced that streaming is the key to both worldwide fame and financial independence.

2 Likes

Just put it back 900 CHML where it belongs

1 Like

I'm not impressed one bit by Bell Media on this decision.

1 Like

The CFL had better think twice if it thinks it is going to get a better monetary TV package out of TSN on their next contract!
Good thing the contract is until 2025

1 Like

Did anyone see Bubba on the 6pm news.

Heartbreaking.

No ways about it, this was a big loss.

This morning Marshall Ferguson was interviewing Dave Marler re his connection to Bruce Arians at Mississippi State who had
just started coaching as a grad assistant near the end of Marler’s college career. Arians actually saw his potential as a starting QB (he’d previously been the team punter and backup QBs I presume). These are the types of stories, insight and local angles that we will be missing out on with TSN 1150 off the air.

Different than the typical endless babble we get from Toronto radio stations about Leafs and Blue Jays, or some of the obnoxious sport jocks you hear on US sports radio. Flipped around tonight to FAN 590 and Arash Madani came on and hosts were actually discussing new Edmonton football team names - of course to mock them endlessly. Even if I agree, it just seems grating coming from some of these Toronto- centric wannabe big league d- bags.

CHML did a decent job on the game broadcasts, but I will definitely miss my fix of Ticat talk in the morning during the season and through the year. Marshall is too talented to be unemployed for long, hope to see him and the other local guys there land on their feet.

3 Likes

Marshall Ferguson told Derek Taylor:

"I think I talked too much Argos, then they shut down the station. I'm pretty sure that's what happened."

1 Like