$10 million profit for Braley's Grey Cup

Typically, the host team generates a profit of $3 million to $4 million, as the game sells out each year. What made this year’s game different is that the Argos and the CFL received $9.5 million from the federal and provincial governments to celebrate the game. The Ministry of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages gave $5 million while Tourism Ontario spent $4.5 million.
The Argos’ Grey Cup organizing committee sold roughly $14 million worth of tickets to the game, including 100 luxury suites that sold for $20,000 apiece, a source told the Star. The committee also sold at least $3 million worth of corporate sponsorships for the accompanying Grey Cup festival. As many as 30 companies such as Nissan, Telus and Scotiabank paid as much as $500,000 apiece to build buzz about their brands through ties to the Grey Cup festival.

All told, the Grey Cup organizing committee generated revenue of more than $17 million.

[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1293544--grey-cup-argonauts-owner-david-braley-set-for-up-to-10-million-in-profits-sources]http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1 ... ts-sources[/url]
What made this year’s game different is that the Argos and the CFL received $9.5 million from the federal and provincial governments to celebrate the game. The Ministry of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages gave $5 million while Tourism Ontario spent $4.5 million.
The Star article is stating that a host team normally makes $3 million to $4 million??? but $10 million profit because of the federal and provincial taxpayer's money?

while worded funny, i think the message is, the CFL grey cup committee parlayed the government hand-out into a bigger grey cup festival and more festivities, which drew in more sponsorship money than previous grey cups.

That's the way the CFL would spin the explanation for the taxpayer handout. The article is worded and the inference is that "normally" a Grey Cup makes $3 to $4 million but because of the $9.5 million from taxpayers the profit was $10 million.

I wonder what the the Prov of Quebec or Quebec City made for profit with the $40 mill taxpayer handout from Heritage Canada for the 400th anniversary to pay mega miliionaires like Celine Dion to perform?

Also from the article...

Argos spokesperson Beth Waldman said ...In a statement...that the government money went toward free events for the public during the week-long festival leading up to the game. “Any public funds the festival has received via the CFL have been used to finance free-to-the-public activities and zones which would not otherwise have been staged.?
the team — which loses about $3 million a year — would make a substantial amount from the Grey Cup.

“The Argos will make significant money from this game,? Maychak said. “They sold out, they keep the revenue from the tickets, and they will make a big profit.?

The league historically keeps the revenue from television rights and sponsorships for the game, and covers expenses such as stadium rent and paying the winning and losing teams. The host team — the Argos in this case — keep the money from tickets and sponsorships sold for the festival.
Besides earning revenue from ticket sales and sponsorships to the Grey Cup festival, the Argos also generated money through ticket sales to a gala dinner, the league’s player awards, and several beer gardens, Albrecht said.
“One of the mandates of the Department of Canadian Heritage is to foster a sense of belonging and feeling of pride in Canadians by supporting initiatives of national significance that commemorate important aspects of the history of Canada, such as the 100th anniversary of the Grey Cup,? said Geneviève Myre, a spokesperson with the Department of Canadian Heritage.

One of the new elements to this year’s Grey Cup was a train that travelled 4,100 kilometres across the country, displaying artifacts such as game-worn cleats and jerseys which highlighted memorable moments from previous years.

Sports business executives said an estimated $3 million of the $9.5 million in public-sector money was spent helping to pay for the special CFL-themed train tour. Train cars and access to track were provided by CP Rail and Via, said Chris Lang, a Toronto sports marketer who helped broker the deal.

In 2009, Albrecht asked for an estimate for hiring a football-themed train to run from Montreal to Calgary. He was told the expense would be just over $1 million. This year’s train trip is much more extensive than Albrecht considered. The Grey Cup toured the country on the train and was also flown to destinations as remote as Iqaluit.

I have read and talked to people who say it will be north of $15M profit.

The optics on this are simply not good.

$9.5M of taxpayers' money to goose the profits for "for profit" parties. It appears that David Braley's done really well hosting 2 Grey cups in consecutive years. It will be interesting to see if Regina gets a $9.5M public fund dole out next year.

Braley deserves it, he is the back bone of the league, He will find some way to put it back in the League, he probably already has! :thup:

This Leaague has never been Stronger because of guys like Senator Brayley

Well said tc. Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon had this in the palm of their hands but they passed on the opportunity and chose to sell the team. Their choice. C'est la vie. Believe me, Bob McCown would have been praising them had they held onto the Argos and wouldn't have mentioned anything to Mark Cohon, is my bet.

....really? $9.5M of taxpayers' money into David Braley's pockets? Are there no other pressing needs in this country that could use $9.5M?

No Braley = No CFL

Braley's cut, or total profit?

The article says Braley stands to profit $10m, and also says that the league itself has it's own separate cut.

David Braley earned as much as $10 million in profit as the host of the 100th Grey Cup
The league historically keeps the revenue from television rights and sponsorships for the game, and covers expenses such as stadium rent and paying the winning and losing teams. The host team — the Argos in this case — keep the money from tickets and sponsorships sold for the festival.

But as someone on RTH said, David Braley may be the next sucker here in Tigertown, so let's be somewhat nice to him :wink: :

I don't believe Young's objections were mere straw men, he just overestimated his influence and got stuck with Ivor Wynne, the site his employee Mr. Mitchell said was unviable from the very start of this abysmal process (and I mean well before PanAm). And I will be shocked if Young still owns the football club by 2015; IW is part of his exit plan to pass it along to the next sucker (who may well be the above-cited D. Braley [again]). Finally, regarding those who decline to support the Tiger-Cats at the gate - as I have resolved to do after a lifetime of monetary and emotional support: it's called 'Voting with your feet', which is the only sort of communication some people understand. If it happens to conflict with the misguided acts of Hamilton Council, that's not our fault.

[url=http://raisethehammer.org/article/1442/council_controversy_over_velodrome_proposal]http://raisethehammer.org/article/1442/ ... e_proposal[/url]

Not exactly...

The CFL received the money from the government agencies and channelled a portion to the Argos. How much went to the team is not clear and neither the league nor the Argos would say how the split worked. The league said it would explain how the money was spent to the government agencies who gave it to the league.
Also, some public towards "Canadian" if you will, rather than directly to Mr Braley,
“One of the mandates of the Department of Canadian Heritage is to foster a sense of belonging and feeling of pride in Canadians by supporting initiatives of national significance that commemorate important aspects of the history of Canada, such as the 100th anniversary of the Grey Cup,? said Geneviève Myre, a spokesperson with the Department of Canadian Heritage.

One of the new elements to this year’s Grey Cup was a train that travelled 4,100 kilometres across the country, displaying artifacts such as game-worn cleats and jerseys which highlighted memorable moments from previous years.

Sports business executives said an estimated $3 million of the $9.5 million in public-sector money was spent helping to pay for the special CFL-themed train tour. Train cars and access to track were provided by CP Rail and Via, said Chris Lang, a Toronto sports marketer who helped broker the deal.

Some events have been free at the Grey Cup festival, such as a 220-metre zipline ride at Nathan Phillips Square. ... This year, there have been free concerts on Front St. and other events accessible to low-income families, Maychak said. “If someone tells you we are doing less or the same as last time, they are not telling you the truth,? Maychak said. “We have a lot more free, non-ticketed events.?

Did you care when millions upon millions of dollars were spent on the Vancouver Olympics? I don't like public funds being used for private endevours, but if the Olympics warrant public money, than I think the 100th Grey Cup does as well.

And to answer your question, I doubt Regina will get $9.5 million. This was a special circumstance -- being the 100th and all -- and the various orders of government thought that was something worth spending money on. Agree or disagree, that's what they thought. Regina and every other Grey Cup, until maybe the 150th, won't merit the same kind of public funds.

Excellent response :thup:

And I'm sure many more corporate sorts made more money than that off of the government spending of big millions on the Olympics, as well as money for members of the International Olympic Committee, most of whom don't even reside in this country and pay taxes.

How is the Olympics a private endeavour? I could be wrong, but I thought it was a non-profit endeavour largely supporting amateur athletes.

but I thought it was a non-profit endeavour largely supporting amateur athletes.

Yup, that's what they say Captain, it's just all about with the Olympics. :lol:

check this out:

This is taxpayers’ money, our money. We don’t know exactly how much is being spent.
But by our incomplete tally and with another year to go until the Games, it’s more than $6,000,000,000.

[url=http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Olympics+bill+tops+billion/1207886/story.html]http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Olym ... story.html[/url]