Lyle B. Style

Huge game this Thursday vs. the depleted Esks - still featuring the CFL's leading player & QB (Radar O'Reilly, The Mad Hatter)

So who's under pressure in Winnipeg?

1. Is it Matt Nichols - a budget version of Mike Reilly. Matt doesn't have the power, the arm or the sheer will to coueur de bois across the gridiron that Reilly possesses. If Nichols gets squashed by another round of Reilly heroics, so be it. There's always tomorrow - and that's what O'Shea would say if the bombers lose. They'd still be 5-3 and in the thick of it for 3rd, 4th crossover - even a bite of 2nd if things go berserk down the stretch.

2. Is it Mike O'Shea - O'Shea's career winning percentage was hovering around .400 heading into the 2017 season. A win Thursday and he'll be sporting an amazing .750 winning percentage. Truly a tour de force. Losing to the Esks and he's still nearly 63% for the season. If he loses there's still 10 more games for bomber fans to consume - unless they go into a 5 or 6 game losing funk - they'll be playoff contenders right to the last week.

3. Is it Kyle Walters - don't think so. At least not this outing. Walters hasn't been unable to unearth the great speed-burners, difference-makers and defensive monsters (MLB for sure) that creates a certain Grey Cup contender. His gap-filling rate doesn't stand up to guys like Hufnagel (who does) or even The Edmonton pipe-line (a pipe that's produced amazing players over the history of their participation in the CFL.

In reality there's only one dude who's got pressure on him. And its about time. Wad Miller has been able to elude responsibility for the vast majority of his near 3 year run at the helm of the team. The on-field product has improved markedly, even with an all-Canadian management team (rarity in CFL). His stadium management, while coated in secrecy and cryptic answers is reasonable. He's done solid work with the transportation system and fully understands the bombers current location isn't doing any favours for the team's bottom line. He's adjusted pricing, made a nice profit on his last Grey Cup and continues to make the in-game experience a decent outing for old and new fans alike (a tough chore, but he's been doing a decent job)

Now, he's on the spot. Bombers have 33,000+ pieces of seat inventory. Other than the annual raid by the Sask' Riders (4,500 to 6,000 Rider fans come by wagon train or tractor) to IGF he's been a bit on the low side.

With an unbeaten eskimos team featuring the league's best player, an autocratic and anti-social coach (Maas) there's no reason Miller can't put 28,000 to 30,000 folks in the seats. A crowd of 22,500 to 25,000 will be most disappointing, even a solid crowd of 26,000 to 27,500 is expected. Can Miller fill IGF with its new capacity (30,000 for all intents and purposes)? Does he have the marketing and advertising skills to sell those extra 3,000 to 3,500 seats that assure short to mid-term success of the franchise - and the ability to pay back the over 200 million dollars still left on the books?

Miller is a dogged GM, even without the devil-tongue slicksterism of guys like Buono, Hufnagel, CJ Horky or even Ed the Sock but this week's matchup is one that demands accountability from a stadium fulfillment point of view.

Poor local advertising and marketing for this game in the Winnipeg area market - that doesn't bode well. I think without any advertising this game should still bring out 26,000 to 26,500 without even trying. Make a major effort and the crowd should be in the 28,000 to 30,000 range. The Jets haven't even begun their pre-season (man the Jets suck the local market dry when it comes to publicity and interest), the weather has been wonderful (and expected to continue) and the bombers have a winning percentage of .700 (or just over) based on their current 5-2 record.

Losing really isn't the question for me. A short crowd - well that's another matter!

If you can't get 28,000 for this type of game - even on a Thursday nite there's a problem - and Wad Miller knows what it is.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

aulcee

Lyle B. Style

If Wadzilla can't generate a crowd over 27,500 vs. unbeaten schmoes there's something wrong. Look, the team isn't perfect - it sports an unusual head coach, a defeatist defensive coordinator - an OC who yearns to be a head coach once again plus a smorgasbord of specific positional problems (loudest being middle linebacker)

If the crowd slithers in under 27,000 Miller can blame it on a variety of things:

1. Weather
2. Thursday nite vs. Friday nite
3. Short turnover time to sell tickets
4. Sluggish delivery time for transporting customers to game
5. Last 27 years of losing football
6. Lyle Bauer
7. Mike Kelly
8. Joe Mack
9. Barf Buchko

wolverine29

No one's under any additional pressure other than the usual one to try win a game.  Nichols isn't losing his job, nor is O'Shea, Walters, Miller.  Attendance isn't an issue either.  Every team other than the Riders and Ottawa are having issues filling their seats.  Edmonton's attendance has been somewhat bolstered by the big 50/50 and having halftime musical acts. Besides, according to cfldb.ca, the bombers average attendance for 2017 is at just under 82% capacity.  Stamps are one of the best teams and they are at 75%.  Ottawa had been selling out previously is down to 1 sell out this year in 5 home games.  I don't include Edmonton and BC because they are in an oversized stadium already.  So while they'd like big crowds every game, I'm not sure you can squarely blame Miller for an issue impacting the league country wide.

Lyle B. Style

If Bombers are at 82% that's pretty decent. Probably a couple points higher than what Miller budgeted for!

But this game is a special one. Nothing really changes win or lose but its a real test of Wad Miller's ability to generate super crowds (29,000 to 32,000+ in Wpg's case)

An unbeaten group of cocky Eskimos - led by the league's top player (Reilly) vs. the stand-by-me team of 2017, Mike O'Shea's bombers!

No excuse of crowds under 27,500 . . . . . a win and future crowds will be emboldened to show up at IGF. A loss - just getting edged by the top-rated Eskies and the result is almost the same as a big win.

Getting slaughtered? Other than the Sask'n Gap-Toother game which is nearly sold out - the results will show mild to substantial declines for remaining games. Especially if you can't sell out some of the $21/ seat inventory the bombers tout.

aulcee

If Bombers are at 82% that's pretty decent. Probably a couple points higher than what Miller budgeted for!

But this game is a special one. Nothing really changes win or lose but its a real test of Wad Miller's ability to generate super crowds (29,000 to 32,000+ in Wpg's case)

An unbeaten group of cocky Eskimos - led by the league's top player (Reilly) vs. the stand-by-me team of 2017, Mike O'Shea's bombers!

No excuse of crowds under 27,500 . . . . . a win and future crowds will be emboldened to show up at IGF. A loss - just getting edged by the top-rated Eskies and the result is almost the same as a big win.

Getting slaughtered? Other than the Sask'n Gap-Toother game which is nearly sold out - the results will show mild to substantial declines for remaining games. Especially if you can't sell out some of the $21/ seat inventory the bombers tout.
Since you are so concerned with the attendance  I assume you are attending right?Perhaps you can talk to WADE himself about your concerns as I have found him to be extremely  approachable. Or do you still not attend games and just sit at home and complain about things?Create threads about non existent threats.Make up arbitrary  numbers that must attend so you can claim it's a disaster,win or lose.Go to the game and up the numbers by 1 why don't  you.

Wumper

Wad knows the core group is a fixed number, prob 23,500.
He also knows The "fill" are "the party animals" crowd.
Beer snake'n, rum hut'n, burger buy'n, tail chase'n looking for a good time before the weekend at the lake young Peggers. This crowd chases "fun" and tomorrow Wad's got it.

He's got a great match-up, fine weather (tank top 27, no rain), free buses now running from every warm-up booze tank in town, this crowd comes loaded.

Expect 29,900, new MLCC beer sales record, and the win?

Half the crowd don't care.

Wad's polishing The Rum Hut's sales figures to ensure he can pledge it at the bank next time there's a "call".

I expect to sip  a few myself. Gonna be lotsa them tank tops on parade.....

Bombers win on a Reilly screw up late in the game, Medlock ice's it, MOS versus MAAS, almost sounds like a Mad Magazine sketch.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Lyle B. Style

Looks like Warren B Wumper's predictions are coming true. While the bombers never reveal ticket counts - their rep on the Shadow Davis CJOB radio show said they sold 1,000 tickets yesterday. Big buzz in bombertown around the game. Most prognosticators think they'll reach 29,000, with big daily walk-up they could hit 29,500+

The 33,500 IGF capacity is now a sacred object.

Wumper

Looks like Warren B Wumper's predictions are coming true. While the bombers never reveal ticket counts - their rep on the Shadow Davis CJOB radio show said they sold 1,000 tickets yesterday. Big buzz in bombertown around the game. Most prognosticators think they'll reach 29,000, with big daily walk-up they could hit 29,500+

The 33,500 IGF capacity is now a sacred object.
Unusually big emphasis on crowd noise going around today, I'm expecting a few time counts being thrown.
Forecast is 27 sunny and a breeze. I'm guessing those int. DL's start cramping up, Bombers deeper than Esky's there, I'm expecting Harris to start to roll late 3rd, could be the dif. This loud crowd will have him vibrating. Gonna be a blast in The Peg tonite. 
Wad's counting on the ATM fees beside the Rum Hut to hit a new high, could fund the new MLB.

Lyle B. Style

If crowd comes anywhere near 30,000 Wad is completely off the hook - FOR NOW

papazoola

.......I think you got it wrong Lyle....Waddler is not the guy in trouble....If you've been following close you would have heard that Mike O is more hands involving the D and is changing some of Ritchie Hall's schemes....Seems to be for the better as we are enjoying a little more success recently....IF anyone is in trouble and being given the 'once over' it's Ritchie...Probably be a major correction in the offseason as far as Hall's position is concerned ;)
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

pigseye2015

.......I think you got it wrong Lyle....Waddler is not the guy in trouble....If you've been following close you would have heard that Mike O is more hands involving the D and is changing some of Ritchie Hall's schemes....Seems to be for the better as we are enjoying a little more success recently....IF anyone is in trouble and being given the 'once over' it's Ritchie...Probably be a major correction in the offseason as far as Hall's position is concerned ;)
I agree with pops on this one, Hall was iffy to even return this season due to health issues iirc.
Now that MOS is involved more in the defence and if we see improvement, I think Hall will get the apple and road map in the offseason.

Wumper

Was there, Bombers dominated.
50/50 was probably close to net beer sales, Nichols 9/10, Lofler nasty all night,
Harris as I predicted, just vibrating, caught/ran  a double/double.
Crowd was in it all night, it got loud.
Credit to Reilly, no time counts.
I do loath Mass and FOUR too many men calls was fun to watch.
Esky's get healthy they win that game, Bombers shouldn't assume too much.
Wad sold beers right till game end, next game he'll have it on the bus ride home. 
That was a lot of fun.

Thanks Bombers, you made me proud. Been a while.

Lyle B. Style

Was there, Bombers dominated.
50/50 was probably close to net beer sales, Nichols 9/10, Lofler nasty all night,
Harris as I predicted, just vibrating, caught/ran  a double/double.
Crowd was in it all night, it got loud.
Credit to Reilly, no time counts.
I do loath Mass and FOUR too many men calls was fun to watch.
Esky's get healthy they win that game, Bombers shouldn't assume too much.
Wad sold beers right till game end, next game he'll have it on the bus ride home.
That was a lot of fun.

Thanks Bombers, you made me proud. Been a while.
Wad brought 30,500+ out to the field last nite. What a great - and loud crowd!
Don't think we'll see 30,000+ again (other than Banjo Bowl where 4,500 dirt farmers, skanks & rowdies arrive via wagon train) so this sets the table for regular crowds of 27,000 to 30,000 for all remaining home games - complete with jacked up beer sales, $400,000 50/50 draw, etc.
Maas was a mess all nite - O'Shea rather enjoyed himself.
Mountain Man Loffler was hit 'n miss all night - wasn't athletic enough to climb the wall and prevent a couple bombs by O'Reilly.
But he wasn't the worst bomber defender - that ignomy goes to Roc Carmichael, Kyle Knox & Sammy Hurl. They were terrible to slightly below average.
As far as Hallsy Hall is concerned I he's really not the same since early season health challenges. I think O'Shea is being a good marine and dragging him along for the fight but Hall's defense is not airtight (I'm being charitable) and he's got some questionable personnel inserted to boot (not his fault, that's on Gomer Kyle)
So the team is carrying a wounded warrior to the season finish line - then they'll honorably discharge the guy and try to upgrade the DC. Once Okapologo, Wild return the defense will get better just by having better people. Finding a solid NFL cut to replace Rotten Roc Carmichael - hopefully the team still has a semblance of a scouting staff down south.

Wumper

The injury plague hasn't hit yet, Wild won't be back this year, Hurl is a traditional Sioux name awarded to this guy by a college coach after watching some film, Harris talks the talk but his body language was not "let's share the rock", the D line was not a force, I'm surprised, saw a lot of duct tape on the Esky Line and they lost another at the half, Lofler is a nasty character, would hate to play opposite, MOS actually smiled a few times, Sara running across the end zone with a minute left was rather nice, Maas does not play well with others, still my numero uno knob, huge beer sales, I mean huge, The crazy pilot rolled the plane on his first celebration, 
DUI??, Canada's remaining F18's didn't fly over, they flew beside the stadium, WTF was that about?, no burners rather tame, c'mon you guys want new birds bang up the old ones, lots of military presence, nice, that big flag needs a dry cleaning, enjoying old time football, no yellow flags, diversity tee shirts selling well, WAD's waiting for the XXXXL shipment,
on the way home the city has replaced farm school buses with the "A" fleet, cops had every turn under control, now I know how Justin rides, in closing, my son hands the guy a twenty for two draft, turns to me, "you got a toony?", so WBBFC draft beers are officially into double figures. Wad's smiling. 

Users Online

97 Guests, 13 Users (17 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Abendschan, 97valkyrie, drummer_god, Iconic SR, Blackrussian63, Mightygoose, djrobertson2017, Chewbaca1973, Rick16, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 146. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)