Lyle B. Style

Ross appeared to injure himself when both he and Medlock froze on that putrid field goal attempt. A make on that field goal and Reilly would have had to go into massive superman mode to pull out the W. Ross picked up the ball after Medlock balked at the attempt - rolled to his right before easily succumbing to Edmonton pressure. He was last seen rolling on the turf - trying to pretend he wasn't injured, when he obviously was. Gale was prolly the best available guy on the list of QBs in the waiting room.
Not sure I have ever seen a field goal attempt quite like that one and will say your description fits the situation to a T. I'll cut Ross some slack and say slippery when wet. Not quite sure why Medlock did not just kick it anyway but it all happens so fast. Ball did not look like it was on the tee to me.

To hear that Ross is back on the field today tells me he is determined to give his best shot at sticking with the club. I hope it pays off for him. 5 is too many quarterbacks when Nichols returns. Someone will be gone I am guessing.

Busy Monday around the league. Funny how that is after playing a real game. Travis Bond to the Eskimo's will be interesting. Would imagine he will be out to show Chris Jones he still has plenty left in the tank. Not that good of news for the other west division teams.

As fpr why Medlock didn't make an effort to poke the ball over the line and thru the uprights is a mystery. Here's my theory fwiw:

Medlock is a smart guy, he'll serve as a solid kicking coach once his career ends.

Once Ross lost the ball in terms of laying it directly on the T, Medlock decided to terminate his kicking motion. WHY? I suspect he figured a dead ball or Ross getting himself smothered by a pile of Esky pursuit was better than kicking it low into a pile of mankind and having an Esk lineman return it 60 to 80 yds for a TD - so he just ceased his follow thru and let Ross get creamed. Remember also, Medlock never EVER tackles returners or blocked punts/FGs. He doesn't walk off the field - but his biggest effort is back-peddling like the dickens and hoping he can delay/steer the return enough so that braver souls make the required tackle on the jailbreak!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

joe

Does it go down as a field goal attempt seeing as he didn't kick it?

Would hate to mess up the streak and true enough about making it worse with a bouncing ball. Similar to Edm working so hard to get in field goal range at the end of the half and then giving up the td with no time left.  

Too much weather to draw any solid conclusions from the game imo. Some good, some bad. The points would have come in handy.

They will see a better secondary this week. Did not see much from Henoc Muamba but Jamaal Westerman was noticeable. His brother not so much.

Assuming they will go after Willy. I could see 5 more sacks happening.

Won't be easy but they need two points from this game. We'll see on that.

Lyle B. Style

Does it go down as a field goal attempt seeing as he didn't kick it?

Would hate to mess up the streak and true enough about making it worse with a bouncing ball. Similar to Edm working so hard to get in field goal range at the end of the half and then giving up the td with no time left.  

Too much weather to draw any solid conclusions from the game imo. Some good, some bad. The points would have come in handy.

They will see a better secondary this week. Did not see much from Henoc Muamba but Jamaal Westerman was noticeable. His brother not so much.

Assuming they will go after Willy. I could see 5 more sacks happening.

Won't be easy but they need two points from this game. We'll see on that.
Boxcar Willy lickin' those Eddy Haskell lips of his. He'll never see more free acreage than with a certified Richie Hall defense - all kinds of free spaces on the bingo card for the takin' . . . . Bombers should be able to mount a decent rush against a mediocre Als o-line but could still be gassed from last weeks 7 hour affair.

No secondary rushing after Andrew Harris as Flanders still on IR. Demski the healthiest of the rest of 'em should garner 2 or 3 lugs.

I'd say this game is 50/50 but if Als break thru for the W - the panic buttons will be issued - but orders not to press them til 4 Ls in a row.

I'll have my eyes on the following players.

Adarious Bowman - is he washed or was he just a bit out of sorts last week?
Henoc Muamba - last surviving Muamba brother rostered; can he control A. Harris 33?
Westerman Brothers - hopefully we get some penalties off their undisciplined play
Paddy Neufeld - can this guy stop bulrushes or what?

My guess on the bomber stats-line

Streveler - 13/29 for 198; 2 TDs, 2 Ints, 38 yd rushing
Bowman - 1 rec for 18 yds
Harris - 12 carries for 55 yds; 3 recepts for 22 yds
Dressler - 5 recepts for 45 yds
Adams - 2 recepts for 59 yds
Peterman - 2 recepts for 22 yds

Our top sacker will be Corney with 1.5 sacks; Jake Thomas 1.0

Earnest Jackson will brutalize our secondary!

DAN38

I stopped blaming the refs many years ago but I gotta say that 1st TD throw by Reilly was aided immensely by the refs inability to call holding on the EE Oline. Reilly never gets that ball away if there is not massive holding. Now here's where it gets good. The replay of that supposedly fantastic TD only gets shown from the LOS out meaning that I only saw one replay showing the holding during the game. TSN doesn't show how bad the holding was. It isn't good for ratings I guess. Makes me think how much else we don't see.
  I watch for this all the time and in every game. I'm seldom disappointed.

Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

joe

I stopped blaming the refs many years ago but I gotta say that 1st TD throw by Reilly was aided immensely by the refs inability to call holding on the EE Oline. Reilly never gets that ball away if there is not massive holding. Now here's where it gets good. The replay of that supposedly fantastic TD only gets shown from the LOS out meaning that I only saw one replay showing the holding during the game. TSN doesn't show how bad the holding was. It isn't good for ratings I guess. Makes me think how much else we don't see.
  I watch for this all the time and in every game. I'm seldom disappointed.

Not sure if I saw the same hold but there were a few that went uncalled. Seems other games in week one were the same. It was mentioned that allowing some holding would help increase offence. Maybe it is an Ambrosie thing coming from his O line background. Was told years ago there is holding on every play.

Will say the guys doing it know what they got away with and will be pushing their luck further next game. Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand and whatever the standard turns out to be is the same for both sides.

Reffed hockey a few times and it is not as easy as it looks. No time to think. See it, call it and don't listen to the guilty party plead his case.

DAN38

The top ref was standing right there.   EE centre bobs his head before the snap, no call. They were trying to draw us offside...#94 held up. #95 held by two guys but the worse was #67 being held and almost thrown into the end zone right beside the ref....If we got to Reilly, this is a different game.

All of this doesn't bother as much as the way TSN covers this kind of crap up. I see it time and time again. How many people will go and look for a replay THAT does show the holding ? It stands out to me because I was watching for it. As for the old "there is holding on every play " theory, I have a question which I've been asking for years. Why are some holdings called and others let slide like the above example ? What's the difference and what's the criteria ?.. This has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've talked about this many times here..... I hope the wrath of the EE fans doesn't fall my way. I've heard it all before.

papazoola

…..On one play Jeffcoat was not only held he was mugged right in plain view of the ref who obviously went brain dead...There's no way he couldn't have seen that play...Do some of the refs have the mindset of..'well Edm. has the star qb. of the league and he should not be pummelled' ...Sure looked like it...That play mentioned, allowed the edm.drive to continue and they scored....The refs. have to hone up on some of these obvious penalties....let the incidental ones slide if it looks fifty-fifty...but when the outcome of a game is on the line, those calls have to be made correctly 
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

…..On one play Jeffcoat was not only held he was mugged right in plain view of the ref who obviously went brain dead...There's no way he couldn't have seen that play...Do some of the refs have the mindset of..'well Edm. has the star qb. of the league and he should not be pummelled' ...Sure looked like it...That play mentioned, allowed the edm.drive to continue and they scored....The refs. have to hone up on some of these obvious penalties....let the incidental ones slide if it looks fifty-fifty...but when the outcome of a game is on the line, those calls have to be made correctly
If Jeffcoat had somehow escaped the rear naked choke he was ensconced in and managed to rock Reilly a 1/4 to half second after Reilly released the ball - I'm sure that brain dead ref would have suddenly come out of his coma to assess a 15+ on Mr. Jeffcoat. Such is the current way of the CFL - sometimes you get away with murder; other times you're incarcerated for jay-walking!

DAN38

If Jeffcoat had somehow escaped the rear naked choke he was ensconced in and managed to rock Reilly a 1/4 to half second after Reilly released the ball - I'm sure that brain dead ref would have suddenly come out of his coma to assess a 15+ on Mr. Jeffcoat. Such is the current way of the CFL - sometimes you get away with murder; other times you're incarcerated for jay-walking!
   Agree with both posts.

i sure am glad i'm not the only one who sees the bias. Some teams get away with a lot more than others and we know who they are.

Wumper

Dan, I ask sincerely, who are they?
Illegitimi non carborundum

DAN38

If I started naming names I would get fried but one team that gets a lot of breaks has been named already.

I mentioned in another thread that after 50 years of watching I've noticed there are darling teams. These teams get more press and have to have all the better players available and it's no coincidence that some of the darling teams can't fill their own stadiums. Along comes that bizarre unequal trade and the team gets more media but it doesn't work in filling seats....Not all the darlings are like this. Some can fill their stadiums. Didn't some team just sign Terrell Owens on their neg list ?

I am not the only guy to notice the bias.

FootbalYouBet

If I started naming names I would get fried but one team that gets a lot of breaks has been named already.

I mentioned in another thread that after 50 years of watching I've noticed there are darling teams. These teams get more press and have to have all the better players available and it's no coincidence that some of the darling teams can't fill their own stadiums. Along comes that bizarre unequal trade and the team gets more media but it doesn't work in filling seats....Not all the darlings are like this. Some can fill their stadiums. Didn't some team just sign Terrell Owens on their neg list ?

I am not the only guy to notice the bias.

not the only guy to imagine it either :)
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

DAN38

Try watching the intro before a game and tell me what team's logos, helmets and players you see consistently. Watch one of those promo commercials made for the league and tell me what teams you see represented over and over. If I am imagining, I guess I must be imagining that other teams aren't represented, at the same time...This has been going on for decades. Look past the glitz. There is a reason a team like Hamilton hates the Argos so much. It isn't just the colour blue. Who gets all the coverage and players ? Who gets ignored ? Hell, it's a big reason I cheer for the Cats over the Argos. Just my imagination, eh.

papazoola

I happen to agree with Dan and I've been a fan of this league since 1957….When you call one team….'the flagship' of the CFL...mainly because of the cash they rake in, then you can see where that team would get a lot of ….let's say luv'... Another one has the so called 'best player in the league' at qb and the media makes sure they get most of the ink,,,Our club puts together a pretty good offseason of acquiring players...had a heck of a year last season placing in the top tier and all of a sudden we're relegated  by the media to a second last place position and that was before Nichols was out.....HOWEVER....we have to use that as an impetus to move forward and beyond...It's tough to play the refs and the other club too but if that's what takes to get it done...so be it....There's definitely bias in this league and the media.. and anyone saying/or seeing any different is looking through their rosey coloured glasses

DAN38

1957 WOW- I bow to your experience, Papa. There is truth to growing older and wiser.

I grew up in Toronto and Sth. Ontario. All my friends were fans of the local CFL team. Even they admit the bias and have a good chuckle at it. Any body with any doubt need only look at the Ricky Ray trade. Since he's come to Tor he's won two GCs. Is Edm the feeder team for Argo QBs ? (Franklin)....Nothing has changed the attendance but don't worry, they'll keep trying.

Users Online

113 Guests, 10 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MadJack, btharner, greenandwhite, Mightygoose, woody, Dr.Whiskey, RichardVeilleux, jim43bob, Cflukb69, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)