depopulationINC

......Bennett finally got going today in tc after his short convalescence ....This kid has a gun for an arm BUT so did a few other qbs....Michael Bishop comes to mind...Could gun it the length of the field with ease BUT couldn't make that gift translate to any success because of his inability to read defences....A mastermind he wasn't...IF Bennett can show the Bomber brass more than a strong arm he could also be in the running as back-up....Most likely be a no. 3 IF Streveler can keep up his stellar performance...I like the fact that Streveler  can run and on those short yardage plays, that comes in very handy
Bennett was interesting when I saw him...heck of an arm...seemed very accurate...solid footwork.  It was unreal to watch him get in his own head with the lights on though.  In camp he showed to be a contender for the number #2 spot but it really did not translate in the game.  I do feel with the right coach in his ear he could be a viable QB.  Would think that even if Streveler shows so-so in his next outing that he would be a front-runner for retaining a spot though

DAN38

"Th, th, th, That's all folks !"
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Clutch

Williams > Bennett.  All I was saying.  Williams is a solid QB but has to pull the trigger faster. I thought Watford looked alright for first action and against most of the Esks starters.
LOL . . . do you go "beep" when you back up like that?

Williams over Bennett is "All" you were saying?
 I'd suggest you were saying much more than just that, saying that you would be "all over" both Watford and Williams if seeking QB depth.  You did not limit it to just a comparison with Bennett.

Williams, 3/7, no TD, one interception
Watford, 8/17, no TD, one interception.

Streveler, 10/10, one TD, no interceptions.

Looks to me like the Bombers' QB depth is just fine without Watford and Williams.

So again, both Williams and Watford merit a "meh", unless you've got green glasses on.
If you say so.  Meanwhile....back in reality....I said this pre-PS1 in another thread (http://forums.cfl.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders/7/2018-camp/106084/) of the depth QBs "Watford has looked strongest overall in camp, but I question if it will translate as well in a game...I am guessing not." In other words I have stated that Watford (the guy they kept) was not going to show well in the game, and was > than Williams.
LOL - I agree with what others are saying - they aren't any better than what the Bombers have already. Who knows how they'll develop but clearly you have tunnel vision there. In other words, I could go any, and I mean any, CFL TC and say the exact same thing about their 'bubble' QB's that you are saying about these 'bubble' guys.

The future may prove you right, who knows. But the current history? These guys are no better than any other QB scrub in TC right now. And in some cases are a lot worse. If the bombers need depth at the QB position, based on preseason, the guy I'd be all over McLeod Bethel-Thompson. This is what is making everyone laugh - you only tout these guys because they are Rider QB's - they've done NOTHING - so why would the Bombers (or any other team for that matter) be interested in them? Bethel-Thompson, if he's released (he won't be) would be a person of interest for sure.
Hey...I made my statement when the neither the Riders nor the Bombers had played a preseason game and it was clear the Bombers were still shopping around.  I very clearly have indicated I questioned how these guys would look in game action in another thread, which I now referenced here, but they are good depth guys to look at if a team is in need.  The guy I said was likely to stick out of the first game did...he didn't have stellar numbers but he did have ok numbers against largely a starting D.

And no you couldn't go to any camp and say that.

Streveler does look rather promising for the Bombers.
One game - in preseason - meh. I mean, 10 for 10 is ok lol, but it's against a bunch of scrubs that will go back to stocking shelves in the US. Though it's a lot better to go 10 for 10 against scrub than 5 for 10 for sure. 

I just don't get too excited at all about preseason performances. We've seen it here before with guys like Robert Marve - and look how that turned out! One thing for sure, Wpg is more than due. Last QB the bombers have brought into the league and developed who went on to be a starting QB was Danny McManus. Ever since then, the Bombers have been unable to recruit and develop a QB, and it's the biggest reason why they have the longest GC drought. 

joe

One thing for sure, Wpg is more than due. Last QB the bombers have brought into the league and developed who went on to be a starting QB was Danny McManus. Ever since then, the Bombers have been unable to recruit and develop a QB, and it's the biggest reason why they have the longest GC drought.
Maybe didn't bring them into the league but both Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn established themselves as starting quarterbacks during their time with Winnipeg. Could almost add Nichols to the list although he had more experience prior to arriving in Winnipeg.

Will add that the two huge blunders related to Bomber quarterbacks since the last Grey Cup win were Jeff Reinboldt dissing Reggie Slack in favor of Kevin McDougall and Mike Kelly letting KG go over a bonus payment and opting for Stefan Lefors. Both times it ended up in disaster and put the team back to square one without the $200 for passing go. Live and learn.

Clutch

One thing for sure, Wpg is more than due. Last QB the bombers have brought into the league and developed who went on to be a starting QB was Danny McManus. Ever since then, the Bombers have been unable to recruit and develop a QB, and it's the biggest reason why they have the longest GC drought.
Maybe didn't bring them into the league but both Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn established themselves as starting quarterbacks during their time with Winnipeg. Could almost add Nichols to the list although he had more experience prior to arriving in Winnipeg.

Will add that the two huge blunders related to Bomber quarterbacks since the last Grey Cup win were Jeff Reinboldt dissing Reggie Slack in favor of Kevin McDougall and Mike Kelly letting KG go over a bonus payment and opting for Stefan Lefors. Both times it ended up in disaster and put the team back to square one without the $200 for passing go. Live and learn.
nope nope and nope. As you know - Khari Jones was recruited and developed by the B.C. Lions, we got him because B.C. didn't have room for him once he got to a certain level. Kevin Glenn - we gave him a chance as a starter but again 3 years in Sask and he had started a fair amount of games too. You also answered your Nichols.

No - what i mean is, someone the Bombers have recognized, brought up here, and developed into a starting QB. It's not that it's a bad thing to recognize talent on another club and pounce, and that happens everywhere. But 25 years? That says it all right right there to me. I don't even care if the guy turns out to be a McManus, or from our side, a Jones or Nichols (i.e. we recruit and develop him but we let him go to another team where he goes on to be a star QB) as at least that gives me confidence in the organisation overall.

I'm still waiting, and so are the Bombers, for that Grey Cup. When they can find their own QB, to me, that means they can find other key position players too -and voila - Grey Cup. 

I hear ya on the other guys too - especially Lefors - watched him here and didn't think much of him. When Kelly left, cut Glenn and got this guy my only thought at the time was that Kelly must know something we all don't. Turned out he was Jon Snow - he knew nothing

joe

nope nope and nope. As you know - Khari Jones was recruited and developed by the B.C. Lions, we got him because B.C. didn't have room for him once he got to a certain level. Kevin Glenn - we gave him a chance as a starter but again 3 years in Sask and he had started a fair amount of games too. You also answered your Nichols.

No - what i mean is, someone the Bombers have recognized, brought up here, and developed into a starting QB. It's not that it's a bad thing to recognize talent on another club and pounce, and that happens everywhere. But 25 years? That says it all right right there to me. I don't even care if the guy turns out to be a McManus, or from our side, a Jones or Nichols (i.e. we recruit and develop him but we let him go to another team where he goes on to be a star QB) as at least that gives me confidence in the organisation overall.

I'm still waiting, and so are the Bombers, for that Grey Cup. When they can find their own QB, to me, that means they can find other key position players too -and voila - Grey Cup.

I hear ya on the other guys too - especially Lefors - watched him here and didn't think much of him. When Kelly left, cut Glenn and got this guy my only thought at the time was that Kelly must know something we all don't. Turned out he was Jon Snow - he knew nothing
Neither Jones or Glenn were "established" as starters prior to coming to Winnipeg but whatever.

Maybe Streveler will be the guy although O'Shea does not have a track record of playing his second string guy barring an injury so his development may take time as it will be tough to get a start ahead of Nichols for the foreseeable future. 

Ryan Rigmaiden seems a step in the right direction regarding recruitment but the Bombers appear to like the build the team with the free agent route. Medlock vs Hajrullahu as an example.

Noah Picton was right there and they passed on using a 6th round pick. Not saying he is gonna be a star but he has shown a fair bit of determination already just getting to a camp. I wish him well.

joe

A bit selective to say McManus was developed by the Bombers as well. Two years behind Tommy Burgess and one behind Matt Dunnigan with a total of 6 starts hardly made him a star. He did go on to success with other teams but he had to leave Winnipeg to do so.

Looks like your homegrown talent is going to get their shot. Won't count Ross but the other two were recruited by the Bombers so should meet your criteria.

Clutch

Neither Jones or Glenn were "established" as starters prior to coming to Winnipeg but whatever.

Maybe Streveler will be the guy although O'Shea does not have a track record of playing his second string guy barring an injury so his development may take time as it will be tough to get a start ahead of Nichols for the foreseeable future.

Ryan Rigmaiden seems a step in the right direction regarding recruitment but the Bombers appear to like the build the team with the free agent route. Medlock vs Hajrullahu as an example.

Noah Picton was right there and they passed on using a 6th round pick. Not saying he is gonna be a star but he has shown a fair bit of determination already just getting to a camp. I wish him well.
Of course they weren't, neither is/was James Franklin or Matt Nichols. I didn't say they were. What I said was that they were recogonized/signed/brought in to the league by another club, and they were developed by that club to the point of becoming a starter. The problem for them (and lucky for the bombers)  was that the club that recruited and developed them didn't have room for them. Bombers got Nichols because the Esks didn't need him with Reilly and Franklin (btw - Reilly was recruited and developed by the B.C. Lions - and is the guy I wanted the Bombers to gets - Esks were smarter and pounced on him first and we got Willy - but Edm brought in Nichols before him and Franklin after him).

And now, you see my point. Something I left unsaid as I didn't want to jinx anything. Nichols has gone down - the Bombers just wasted two years in Dom Davis, who like the (literally) dozens of QB's that have proceeded him in Wpg, was no good. 

So back to my point, until Wpg can recruit and develop their own QB, which they haven't done since Danny McManus, they'll always be a bubble team at best, a non-playoff team at worst. Last season was de-railed when Nichols went down and was forced to play when he shouldn't have because the backups in Wpg, frankly, were terrible. This season, not only are they 'terrible', they have zero experience. 

Now, I don't know much about this Ross or Strievler kid, maybe they finally got someone. But until I see it - based on the past 27 years or so, yeah, I'm a big time skeptic. Until I see it I won't believe it. 

If Nichols injury is serious and he misses the whole season, the Bombers in a world of hurt. That's just a fact. And it's solely because of the ineptitude of the organisation for the past three decades (lots of blame to go around here) and their inability to recognize, recruit, and develop, their own QB. 

papazoola

.....First of all we don't know the extent of the injury to Matt..could be a wrenched knee....could be a season ender....IF it's season ending we most likely will go with what we have in our quarterback stable presently...Streveler looked to be the most competent...but it won't take long until Bennett is up to speed...so there's that...We have to hope like heck that the D can carry this club, while we settle in with a new starter and/or look at other options ....Tough break for Nichols no matter how you cut it....Can't say much more until the official results of an MRI are in......................so we wait...Hope for the best, expect the worst.
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

DAN38

I'm mixed up Clutch. You say we should sign/recruit and develop our own QB and yet you give the example of Reilly who was signed originally by BC. Winnipeg is not the exception in not developing their own QB. Some teams are good at it and others not, same as receivers and other positions. I can't remember when the last time the Argos developed their own QB and then won the GC with him. How about Ottawa or Mont ? BC and Edm are QB mills it seems. They haven't dominated in winning GCs though. We can count Cal. too !
   Dom Davis was a waste of two years, you say, but we were trying to develop him...Like the draft, it seems this is a crap shoot too.

Maybe we should be looking at how Edm keeps developing QBs on a steady basis.

joe

Paul Jones knows football? 

Not sure when or why we ran him out of Winnipeg. Another whatever.

DAN38

Paul Jones knows football?

Not sure when or why we ran him out of Winnipeg. Another whatever.
   Even before Jones, Edm had found a QB or two. What's the secret ?

I agree with Clutch to a point. I would love if we became a QB producer. It's nice to get other players in exchange for your backup QBs but the downside is you are supplying teams with weapons to beat you. Both Nichols and now Franklin may come back to haunt the Esks.

Clutch

I'm mixed up Clutch. You say we should sign/recruit and develop our own QB and yet you give the example of Reilly who was signed originally by BC. Winnipeg is not the exception in not developing their own QB. Some teams are good at it and others not, same as receivers and other positions. I can't remember when the last time the Argos developed their own QB and then won the GC with him. How about Ottawa or Mont ? BC and Edm are QB mills it seems. They haven't dominated in winning GCs though. We can count Cal. too !
   Dom Davis was a waste of two years, you say, but we were trying to develop him...Like the draft, it seems this is a crap shoot too.

What are you mixed up about? The Esks had brought in and developed Matt Nichols. When Ray was traded they realized he wasn't quite ready, so they recognized Reilly as the next one and traded for him while the bombers sat back. Reilly was in competition for the #1 job with Nichols - first preseaon game, Nichols ripped up his knee going for running TD and that was it - Nichols out for the year, Reilly was the #1. The Esks then went and recruited and developed James Franklin. My point is simple, teams do recruit QB's from other teams, happens all the time, but the teams that are successful are able to still get other QB's. So in Esks case, they didn't recruit Reilly, but they did recruit Nichols and Franklin, and before them Maas and Ray. 

That's one teams example, but bottom line is simple, the Wpg Blue Bombers have not recruited and developed a QB for success in the CFL since Danny McManus. Do you think it's just happenstance then that the Bombers have not won a Grey Cup since '90 - in an 8 / 9 team league? If you're counting, that's TWENTY SEVEN YEARS - and no, it's not happenstance or coincidence. It's a fact.

And like I said - bombers spent the last two years on Dom Davis. When he got some real playing time - well I've seen rookie QB's from other organisation who've never even seen a CFL game play better. Waste of two years.  Same for the past 28 years - rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat - no GC win. 

My opinion, and history will prove me right as it has so far. I've been spouting this stuff for 15 years at least - until I see the bombers get a QB on their own and develop him, no Grey Cup. 

DAN38

Let me get this straight. Until the Bombers develop their own QB, they will not win a GC. The GC win therefore hinges on our own QB.
I beg to differ.
   GC winners

2017- Argos with Ray
       16- Ott with Burris
       15- Edm with Reilly
       14- Cal with Mitchell, their own
       13- Sask with Durant, their own

As I look further back there are far more GC wins with QBs who weren't developed by the winning teams than were. Far more.
   I want the Bombers to develop their own of course but i don't think our GC depends on it.

84-Winn with Clements
    88- Winn with Salisbury, we brought him in I think
    90- Winn with Burgess
  2 out of 3 of our last GCs were with QBs who we didn't develop.

joe

Danny Mac left Winnipeg for BC where he was behind Danny Barrett in 93 and Kent Austin in 94 so to say he was developed by the Bombers is a stretch. His opportunity came during the expansion to the states era when there was a requirement for another 6 starters. He became a starter in his 6th year

Hajrullahu is a better example of someone the Bombers found but lost faith with in his second year in favor of a established veteran free agent. This seems to be the current management team philosophy and based on the development of their draft picks appears to be a logical choice. I can only guess that this is the fastest way to the cup in their mind and appears to be the route that they are taking.

Even as far as giving a guy some time in an already decided game is not in O'Shea's mindset / wiring so I am guessing again that the Bombers will never develop a quarterback on their own under the current management.

One year contracts will factor into development as well. The game has changed.

Bomber management is short on experience and being patient is not their strong suit. Pointing fingers and blaming others for the lack of success is something they are better at. Not seeing Durant for what he was is on them. It was way too odd from day 1 imo but now everything is on Durant being a dirtbag and spoiling the plan and Walters etal are poor victims.

Hate me if you want with the others but the Bombers winning the cup in 2018 will be a miracle of epic proportions and yet we can still hope. 

Users Online

115 Guests, 26 Users (22 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
hairyarm, Espo, Reggiemac, Lyle B. Style, Grover, kfan, FootbalYouBet, MadJack, Niagaraguy2018, KevinRiley2, jim43bob, brianjoxx, heapbag, TheCrazyCatLady, JTea, raymarkca, ticat1, mstigercats, slowhand, Corey.the.tiger, Google (AdSense) (17), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)