depopulationINC

Nice to hear all the positivity surrounding Ross and Steveler. Hoping they both continue to do well but it won't bother me if neither takes a regular season snap meaning that Nichols stays healthy.

That said the one thing a veteran backup can bring to the team is that extra set of eyes that could spot something to help the team. That is not to say younger quarterbacks do not know the game but sometimes lack the credibility where the starter may not be as open to listening or taking advice from them.

BC has that situation with Lulay.

Not sure if that is part of why many quarterbacks go on to head coaching positions.

Hearing the Bombers are bringing Brian Bennett back for another go. Can't remember if he took snaps but I think he showed promise and was a victim of numbers back then. Good luck to the 2.0 version.
If one of Watford or Williams cuts loose from Rider camp I would be all over them if seeking QB depth.

Wasn't expecting a lot from Watford....but he has been very good.  BJ Daniels has also been alright, but he is high and low, never really "bad" though.  One can see why so many GMs were hyped on him for so long.  Perhaps it is because the other 2 hit minis / were with the team last year.  Watford actually has one of the nicest touches on the longball I can really recall seeing in some time, but is a lil hit n miss with intermediate stuff thus far.  I would suspect BC and Montreal, and even perhaps Calgary with their #2 will be keeping an eye on it.  Don't really know until you get in a game...but it is an impressive group overall.  Watford has actually been the best QB out there at least one of the 4 days.

depopulationINC

I see the Bombers signed Bennett.  Guy looked pretty respectable in camp last season but crashed and burned in preseason action.  Perhaps another year will have done well for him.  Had a good camp but crashed hard in PS action and had a rough time in the rest of camp after that.

joe

I see the Bombers signed Bennett.  Guy looked pretty respectable in camp last season but crashed and burned in preseason action.  Perhaps another year will have done well for him.  Had a good camp but crashed hard in PS action and had a rough time in the rest of camp after that.

Good luck to our boys and how about that damn Drew Willy in Mtrl. 

MadJack

If one of Watford or Williams cuts loose from Rider camp I would be all over them if seeking QB depth.

Really?  Or are your green coloured glasses getting in the way here?

From what I saw of those two in the preseason game against Edmonton, it's thanks but no thanks.

papazoola

....Agreed Madjack....nothing special there...Williams looked lost and was released.. Watford has a pretty good arm but greener than the rider's jersey...How would we be any better off than what we already have?? At least Ross has real game experience...Streveler most likely has more potential..Like you say Madjack ...Thanx but no thanx to that duo
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

papazoola

.....I think the last line of my previous post had some merit...Streveler certainly looked like the real thing last night...Only pre-season and Esks. were firing blanks BUT you can't knock the guys performance in his first pro game...Was 10 for 10 and had an eighty yard bomb to White...The kid has wheels as well ...almost took one to the house but lost the handle....We MAY have ourselves a good one guys if he can consistently play to that level and his initial game is any indication

DAN38

.....I think the last line of my previous post had some merit...Streveler certainly looked like the real thing last night...Only pre-season and Esks. were firing blanks BUT you can't knock the guys performance in his first pro game...Was 10 for 10 and had an eighty yard bomb to White...The kid has wheels as well ...almost took one to the house but lost the handle....We MAY have ourselves a good one guys if he can consistently play to that level and his initial game is any indication
    Good ! Now if we will just give him some playing time. If we know we are playing a.. AHUM.. poorer team, why not give him the start and see what happens. God knows we have lost games at the end so many times because of poor play and bad coaching. If he can't perform by the end of the 1st then you still have 3 quarters left. Surely our D will be able to help !
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

depopulationINC

Williams > Bennett.  All I was saying.  Williams is a solid QB but has to pull the trigger faster. I thought Watford looked alright for first action and against most of the Esks starters.

MadJack

Williams > Bennett.  All I was saying.  Williams is a solid QB but has to pull the trigger faster. I thought Watford looked alright for first action and against most of the Esks starters.
LOL . . . do you go "beep" when you back up like that?

Williams over Bennett is "All" you were saying?  I'd suggest you were saying much more than just that, saying that you would be "all over" both Watford and Williams if seeking QB depth.  You did not limit it to just a comparison with Bennett.

Williams, 3/7, no TD, one interception
Watford, 8/17, no TD, one interception.

Streveler, 10/10, one TD, no interceptions.

Looks to me like the Bombers' QB depth is just fine without Watford and Williams.

So again, both Williams and Watford merit a "meh", unless you've got green glasses on.

depopulationINC

Williams over Bennett is "All" you were saying?
 I'd suggest you were saying much more than just that, saying that you would be "all over" both Watford and Williams if seeking QB depth.  You did not limit it to just a comparison with Bennett.

Looks to me like the Bombers' QB depth is just fine without Watford and Williams.

So again, both Williams and Watford merit a "meh", unless you've got green glasses on.
If you say so.  Meanwhile....back in reality....I said this pre-PS1 in another thread (http://forums.cfl.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders/7/2018-camp/106084/) of the depth QBs "Watford has looked strongest overall in camp, but I question if it will translate as well in a game...I am guessing not." In other words I have stated that Watford (the guy they kept) was not going to show well in the game, and was > than Williams.

DAN38

I wish this forum had a laugh track because I would be using it now !

Clutch

I'd suggest you were saying much more than just that, saying that you would be "all over" both Watford and Williams if seeking QB depth.  You did not limit it to just a comparison with Bennett.

If you say so.  Meanwhile....back in reality....I said this pre-PS1 in another thread (http://forums.cfl.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders/7/2018-camp/106084/) of the depth QBs "Watford has looked strongest overall in camp, but I question if it will translate as well in a game...I am guessing not." In other words I have stated that Watford (the guy they kept) was not going to show well in the game, and was > than Williams.
LOL - I agree with what others are saying - they aren't any better than what the Bombers have already. Who knows how they'll develop but clearly you have tunnel vision there. In other words, I could go any, and I mean any, CFL TC and say the exact same thing about their 'bubble' QB's that you are saying about these 'bubble' guys.

The future may prove you right, who knows. But the current history? These guys are no better than any other QB scrub in TC right now. And in some cases are a lot worse. If the bombers need depth at the QB position, based on preseason, the guy I'd be all over McLeod Bethel-Thompson. This is what is making everyone laugh - you only tout these guys because they are Rider QB's - they've done NOTHING - so why would the Bombers (or any other team for that matter) be interested in them? Bethel-Thompson, if he's released (he won't be) would be a person of interest for sure.

MadJack

LOL - I agree with what others are saying - they aren't any better than what the Bombers have already.
Very true.  Not only are they not any better, compare their numbers for their one preseason game against Streveler's numbers in his one preseason game, and they're not even close.

I agree with you about Bethel-Thompson.  He seems very calm, cool, and collected, and manages the offence with competence.  Not flashy by any means, but I'd be very happy if my Als could get their mitts on him; he appears light-years better than what is on the roster at present.

depopulationINC

If you say so.  Meanwhile....back in reality....I said this pre-PS1 in another thread (http://forums.cfl.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders/7/2018-camp/106084/) of the depth QBs "Watford has looked strongest overall in camp, but I question if it will translate as well in a game...I am guessing not." In other words I have stated that Watford (the guy they kept) was not going to show well in the game, and was > than Williams.
LOL - I agree with what others are saying - they aren't any better than what the Bombers have already. Who knows how they'll develop but clearly you have tunnel vision there. In other words, I could go any, and I mean any, CFL TC and say the exact same thing about their 'bubble' QB's that you are saying about these 'bubble' guys.

The future may prove you right, who knows. But the current history? These guys are no better than any other QB scrub in TC right now. And in some cases are a lot worse. If the bombers need depth at the QB position, based on preseason, the guy I'd be all over McLeod Bethel-Thompson. This is what is making everyone laugh - you only tout these guys because they are Rider QB's - they've done NOTHING - so why would the Bombers (or any other team for that matter) be interested in them? Bethel-Thompson, if he's released (he won't be) would be a person of interest for sure.
Hey...I made my statement when the neither the Riders nor the Bombers had played a preseason game and it was clear the Bombers were still shopping around.  I very clearly have indicated I questioned how these guys would look in game action in another thread, which I now referenced here, but they are good depth guys to look at if a team is in need.  The guy I said was likely to stick out of the first game did...he didn't have stellar numbers but he did have ok numbers against largely a starting D.

And no you couldn't go to any camp and say that.

Streveler does look rather promising for the Bombers.

papazoola

......Bennett finally got going today in tc after his short convalescence ....This kid has a gun for an arm BUT so did a few other qbs....Michael Bishop comes to mind...Could gun it the length of the field with ease BUT couldn't make that gift translate to any success because of his inability to read defences....A mastermind he wasn't...IF Bennett can show the Bomber brass more than a strong arm he could also be in the running as back-up....Most likely be a no. 3 IF Streveler can keep up his stellar performance...I like the fact that Streveler  can run and on those short yardage plays, that comes in very handy

Users Online

115 Guests, 30 Users (20 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, Espo, kfan, FootbalYouBet, MadJack, Niagaraguy2018, hoth, KevinRiley2, Reggiemac, jim43bob, brianjoxx, Lyle B. Style, heapbag, TheCrazyCatLady, JTea, raymarkca, ticat1, mstigercats, slowhand, Corey.the.tiger, bowl450, Onemoredork, yougottabekidding, Rick16, Google (AdSense) (13), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)