depopulationINC

This Quentin Gause signing looks like it might be a good look or at least healthy competition at LB.

joe

This Quentin Gause signing looks like it might be a good look or at least healthy competition at LB.
You should buy the jersey now. Sure to be a collectible soon.

depopulationINC

You should buy the jersey now. Sure to be a collectible soon.
If you want to blow off a good player, that is fine...but I think this is a good pick up. He is right in at that upper 230lb range that IMO a MLB should be, yet still runs a 4.60 and a 7.0 on the 3 cone...those are fairly good numbers for any LB, never mind a beefier middle LB.  Atop of that he is known to be a fairly hard hitter with a nose for the ball.  His knock, and likely what is keeping him out of the NFL, is that he lacked some of the top end speed to stay with some RBs in coverage...but that is not really a huge concern in the CFL game...that is more of a 4 down play issue.  I think this is a good pickup to legitimately compete.

papazoola

....Took a look at the vid. on this Gause kid (25)...We may be on to something here...He's built like a brick poop house...sort of squatty and looks like a mean hitter...Throw him into the mix and see what he does in tc...can't hurt and it's nice to see we're 'trying' to fill the void in the middle
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

joe

....Took a look at the vid. on this Gause kid (25)...We may be on to something here...He's built like a brick poop house...sort of squatty and looks like a mean hitter...Throw him into the mix and see what he does in tc...can't hurt and it's nice to see we're 'trying' to fill the void in the middle
Agree on can't hurt but think it is a lot to ask for someone who has not played the CFL game to step in to a starting role.  Reading the play is a huge part of the MLB role. Familiarity goes a long way. That said there have been plenty of good first year guys come into the league.

What you can be sure of is he is here on the $56,000 entry level deal. It would be wonderful if it happens to work out. I hope he leads the league in tackles but I feel the practice roster is more likely.

Bombers need to take the MLB spot seriously. Are they going for the cup or rebuilding again? Year 5! SMS is a mess. Why have a $200,000 kicker and a $60,000 MLB? 

2018 playoff money is not a guarantee in Winnipeg imo.

depopulationINC

Agree on can't hurt but think it is a lot to ask for someone who has not played the CFL game to step in to a starting role.  Reading the play is a huge part of the MLB role. Familiarity goes a long way. That said there have been plenty of good first year guys come into the league.

What you can be sure of is he is here on the $56,000 entry level deal. It would be wonderful if it happens to work out. I hope he leads the league in tackles but I feel the practice roster is more likely.

Bombers need to take the MLB spot seriously. Are they going for the cup or rebuilding again? Year 5! SMS is a mess. Why have a $200,000 kicker and a $60,000 MLB?

2018 playoff money is not a guarantee in Winnipeg imo.
If there is anywhere outside of the front 4 that a guy can step in on the D early on it is inside LB.

200k is a lot for a kicker...but he covers 2 roles, so not really.  Most teams that have national kickers carry a kicker and a punter.  Anyone on a second contract who is any good for a kicker is going to break 100k, so you are going to be pushing 200k for both.  I suppose one could argue...how many game winning tackles does a LB make vs a FG kicker scores a winner?  IMO MLB is not a spot you should never be over spending on for an international unless you land yourself some absolute allstar like a Solomon Elimimian.  There are a lot of guys out there that can fill that role well if you want to spend cap elsewhere because while they need the same burst in the CFL as in the NFL they do not need the top end speed in most defensive alignments like in the NFL because when they role into coverage it is generally between the hashes in the CFL...so the drawing window is way bigger, and  I think that is what they may have hit with Gause.

everyman

I'm always shocked at how often fans denigrate the kicking game and then want blood on a missed 40 yarder with 0:00 on the clock and the game on the line.
Spending $200,000 for all kicking duties, on a guy that will lead the team in scoring, and be relied upon to "win" games is more than reasonable.
Trust me. Scrimp on this area and your win total will drop by 1/3. Medlock is beyond valuable. Top 3 on the team, if not top two.

IMO the most overrated position of needed excellence in todays CFL is MLB.

joe

Good insight and analysis by both depop and everyman. Thank you.

I hear what you are saying and yes not sold on Medlock. 

Just seems Sam Hurl got run out of town for not being a good enough middle linebacker and now you are saying it is not that important of a position. Bombers have been run on at will since Joe Lobedahn left town. Andrew Harris would run for 150 for sure against the Bomber d.

Add in Walters dangling a reported $170,000 at Muamba makes a guy think the Bombers think there is concern. 

I'm good with how ever it goes. Just seems a tad disorganized for achieving any level of success. 

Best part of having Medlock on the team is the entertainment value in watching him on a long return. Guaranteed to make you smile. He is and was smart to get his deal done at the end of the year before Walters had a chance to think it over. Said it before the Medlock era in Winnipeg has been better for Medlock than the Bombers. If he wins a Grey Cup I will take it back. I personally like the Ottawa duo and think they made good choices.

everyman

It's fools gold to hope a kicker should be counted on to make tackles. Just a recipe to have to go out and find replacement sooner rather than later....in mid season.
It would be like expecting the QB to be able to make tackles after an interception, or to lower his head and take on linebackers. Foolish.  or an O-line guy making one handed catches. 

You can be bet that Medlock like McCallum has been cleared to get off the field shortly after a kick.

Last time McCallum made a tackle it cost him his ACL.

papazoola

Bombers have been run on at will since Joe Lobedahn left town. Andrew Harris would run for 150 for sure against the Bomber d.

.......AND don't forget Barrin Simpson...the minister of defence...Got him from the leos too late in his career but he was solid for us....

....Medlock is money and until he ain't, I want him on my club...I  hope they bring back the little kicker from Quebec...   Menard is one of those kicking talents you want to bring back and bring along

Lyle B. Style

The sooner we can get Felix Menard to the breach, the better.

Medlock isn't a sure thing anymore. His numbers have been steadily declining - to the point he's now not much better than Troy Westwood - a perennial 73 to 77% FG kicker with low trajectory punts. Like Medlock, Westwood was also terrified of physical contact - often trying to find a parallel route to chase the return-man back but not come to close to the contact zone - Westwood was gleeful when he could outrun a returner and never come close to the returner - just staying in an adjacent lane.

Medlock is now slightly better than 80% at FGs - and that's even with the bombers declining attempts over 55 yards - unless its a last play or desperation attempt.

If Menard could average 80 to 85% on FGs inside the 50 and punt directionally over 42 yards he's probably open up at least 70,000 of cap space!

Troika will monitor the situation over first third of season - if Medlock is under 80% and not average 40 yds/punt I'd say his status would move from lock-down to debatable. Only problem is that stubbornness governs guys like O'Shea & Hall - so they'd figure Medlock would come out of any impending slump.

Other Medlock problem is distance - it appears his leg is slightly atrophying after turning 30. Those 55 yd attempts are just not there anymore - and 50 isn't even a sure thing!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

everyman

Good insight and analysis by both depop and everyman. Thank you.

I hear what you are saying and yes not sold on Medlock.

Just seems Sam Hurl got run out of town for not being a good enough middle linebacker and now you are saying it is not that important of a position. Bombers have been run on at will since Joe Lobedahn left town. Andrew Harris would run for 150 for sure against the Bomber d.

Add in Walters dangling a reported $170,000 at Muamba makes a guy think the Bombers think there is concern.

I'm good with how ever it goes. Just seems a tad disorganized for achieving any level of success.

Best part of having Medlock on the team is the entertainment value in watching him on a long return. Guaranteed to make you smile. He is and was smart to get his deal done at the end of the year before Walters had a chance to think it over. Said it before the Medlock era in Winnipeg has been better for Medlock than the Bombers. If he wins a Grey Cup I will take it back. I personally like the Ottawa duo and think they made good choices.
I'm not saying MLB is not a position of importance.
What I am saying is that the position is the most overrated defensive position in todays CFL.

And Barrin was from another era.

I think you have saved some cap money by not signing a guy who has never stuck with a team since his first seasons in Winnipeg several seasons ago. I agree Hurl played too light for the position. You are not paying for scouting staff to fail in bringing in several prospects who could fit the bill. Motor...220-230lbs...and the ability to tackle first and foremost. 

Lyle B. Style

As far as the MLB spot being over-rated - I have to agree. Its probably the most over-rated on a standard CFL defense.

One codicil.

The MLB has to be serviceable, able to make tackles when the play comes into their hot zone.

A slightly below average to slightly above average MLB is required.

Putting a lawn sign like Hurl out there is just that. No power to bust up running lanes, no speed or push to the passer, limited drop back cover ability combined with physically weak ability to make tackles - and to be truthful fairly easy to shake off or evade with limited moves.

So when you don't have a serviceable MLB - the position becomes important - BECAUSE YOU ARE BASICALLY OPERATING WITHOUT A 12 man.

Hurl could read film and agree with coaches - he was an excellent booyah man in the locker room

But when you drop to a certain level - your entire defense is exposed because your MLB isn't performing at the barest serviceable levels.

everyman

The sooner we can get Felix Menard to the breach, the better.

Medlock isn't a sure thing anymore. His numbers have been steadily declining - to the point he's now not much better than Troy Westwood - a perennial 73 to 77% FG kicker with low trajectory punts. Like Medlock, Westwood was also terrified of physical contact - often trying to find a parallel route to chase the return-man back but not come to close to the contact zone - Westwood was gleeful when he could outrun a returner and never come close to the returner - just staying in an adjacent lane.

Medlock is now slightly better than 80% at FGs - and that's even with the bombers declining attempts over 55 yards - unless its a last play or desperation attempt.

If Menard could average 80 to 85% on FGs inside the 50 and punt directionally over 42 yards he's probably open up at least 70,000 of cap space!

Troika will monitor the situation over first third of season - if Medlock is under 80% and not average 40 yds/punt I'd say his status would move from lock-down to debatable. Only problem is that stubbornness governs guys like O'Shea & Hall - so they'd figure Medlock would come out of any impending slump.

Other Medlock problem is distance - it appears his leg is slightly atrophying after turning 30. Those 55 yd attempts are just not there anymore - and 50 isn't even a sure thing!
Oh for gawds sake..
Medlock has never made less than 80% ( except in career year two when he attempted only 10 and made 7)
Hit a 57 yarder last year
Had his best ever punting average at just under 44 yards. Was brilliant on directional punts which are lower projectory.
What breech?
The numbers you attach to Menards potential are all-star numbers and are in fact Medlock's numbers. Geezus man.
Every career runs its course and one year you will be right. But Medlock is far from a concern now imo. But your style is to look everywhere for a fire alarm to pull. Just as long as it's by a couch and fridge presumably.

joe

Westwood was also terrified of physical contact 

I'm pretty sure I remember Troy Westwood being knocked out after contact a couple of times in his early days. Probably weighed 150 lbs at the time but had the attitude. May have even worn a cage for a year.

For what it is worth Troy was outstanding in the 2007 Grey Cup in a game that mattered despite a season of turmoil with Doug Berry. Mike Renaud was a good tackler during his time. Can not say I remember much of Bob Cameron's tackling highlights if there were any. Smart Bob. 

Users Online

59 Guests, 2 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (9)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)