Lyle B. Style

........Mikey says today that Lapo will be around for 18'....kinda nixes the thought of him heading out for a head mans job...No mention of Hall though....hmmmmm just maybe the Irishman has seen the light and it sunk in that Ritchie is deadweight... Could have told him that last year..in fact I think we mentioned that very fact on here, Ad infinitum ..Probably won't hear anything official until we full fill the unwritten gag order about changes till after the Cup...Steinauer's name being bandied about as a replacement....but like Gray showing up next year, I think that's a stretch....I doubt he's going to leave his NCAA gig anytime soon
Mikey has lots of predictions. Some, mostly his injury ones are simply guesses or wish list stuff.
Gray will NOT attend camp in 2018, but he could pry loose from the s-fest in New York by end of September.
They won't cut Richie Hall loose until they secure a replacement. If they haven't talked to Noel Thorpe yet, something is really rotten in Denmark. Like you say, Steinauer is a pipedream for '18. . . . . . my Plan D if they can't get anyone like Steinauer or Thorpe for '18 is to give the defense to Ian Wild and pull him out of the line of fire.
You'd then have at least one guy on your staff (Lapo) who'd be natural hire if Miller got tired of O'Shea's extreme loyalty act and another (Wild) who could learn up in the next 2 or 3 years, putting himself in position to be head coach by age 33/34.

Bombers did OK last time they hired a 28 yr old head coach, didn't they? (Bud Grant)
Not bad with guys in their 50s & 60s (Spavital, Jauch, Ritchie, Murphy)

Another old guy - a shoeshiner named Joe Zaleski failed miserably after Grant's departure.
32 yr old Mike Riley was an incredible success before bolting southward; 37 yr old Jeff Reinbold an incredible failure.
Warthogs like Mike Kelly, Timbo Burke, Bud Riley all flamed out.
Even Allie Sherman was only 31/33 when he took on the bombers in the mid 50s 

Plop was barely 40 when he got his first go as Bomber HC
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

papazoola

.......IF Wild turned out to be another Bud 'the ol fox' Grant I would be elated....I know he has the grey matter for the job but will he get the time to prove himself...Folks around these parts are getting awfully antsy about a 27 year drought...Which brings me to next year and Mike O...IF he keeps Hall and falters out of the gate, I want to see him gone...He can pack his bags along with the inevitable firing of Hall and head back to North Bay...The fans in Winnipeg would have seen enough of that act and revolt...
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

.......IF Wild turned out to be another Bud 'the ol fox' Grant I would be elated....I know he has the grey matter for the job but will he get the time to prove himself...Folks around these parts are getting awfully antsy about a 27 year drought...Which brings me to next year and Mike O...IF he keeps Hall and falters out of the gate, I want to see him gone...He can pack his bags along with the inevitable firing of Hall and head back to North Bay...The fans in Winnipeg would have seen enough of that act and revolt...
Fans in Winnipeg have one major fault. They are far too forgiving. Guys like O'Shea, Miller, Paul Maryse, Kelvin Cheveldayoff, Mark Chipman have learned the secret - and the secret is - BROWN NOSE THE LOCALS TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH

if Hall is revealed to continue his awful work as DC due to O'Shea's extreme loyalty - and the team comes out of the chute no better than 1-5, 1-6 there better be 3 bus tickets to North Bay ready for the O'Shea family and a couple Greyhounds going the other way to Regina (for Hall)

Personally I wouldn't wait - but BROWN-NOSERS CAN WAIT FOREVER - CUZ THEY'VE LEARNED THERE'S LITTLE TO NO CONSEQUENCES FOR POOR PERFORMANCE.

I only have one more thought. How much more of the same do you want to see before you pass judgement?

aulcee

Well, the 2017 season came to a crashing end last Sunday at ol IGF stadium - nice crowd, around 27,000 and according to reports Wad Midler only papered the house with 2,000 worthless seats - so 25,000 paid in bitter Winnipeg weather is a testament to the hardiness and loyalty of bomber fans. Should also help Miller pay down the mortage!

btw - when The Bombers cut a cheque for 4 million plus - exactly who do they cut it to? It should be Province of Manitoba, however until someone verifies it - I think it just could be bounced back into the holding company for the bombers! VERIFICATION REQUIRED

Prospects for 2018:

- lots of guys coming into free agency, so we'll see how loyal these guys are to commandant O'Shea when money is on the line
- Two main stalwarts, West Dressler (32/33) and Andrew Harris (30/31) are getting up there. Dressler is pretty much guaranteed to miss a clump of games - how can he not, he's 5'6" and 159 lbs. Harris will continue to get banged around if they keep throwing him those floaters in the backfield.
- Guys like Westerman, Legget, Bryant are starting to age. Legget is still spunky but has to be backed up with speed guys to make up for his loping style
- Sam Hurl was a real atrocity in the bombers D middle. O'Shea, of course in his usual pattern of denial wanted to keep the guy viable but if you saw last couple games, Hurl's ice-time was severely limited
- Richie Hall is plain and simple - a horrid defensive coordinator. Bombers have no one to promote from within. Comm. O'Shea wants to keep Hall (loyalty pledge). Gomer Kyle (GM) better get on the blower with Noel Thorpe before its too late. Give Hall his guaranteed bomber payout and let him live out the rest of his life in his mobile home estate south of Regina

So for 2018, expect more of the same. However, don't expect progress to continue. O'Shea has shown that his bizarre ideas and in-game moves are habit NOT anomaly. He's blown himself up in 2 straight playoff games.

Not much to be expected in 2018 CIS draft. Walters is horrid at the draft table. Trade some away for guys who can help in 2018. If Fatty Ekaka is the best they could find with #1 overall last year - the entire draft table should be blown up.

My guess, with a good group of core guys the bombers will descend slightly - they won't be 13-5 or 12-6, more likely 10-8, even 9-9 depending on when their injury assault comes.

Bomber fans will support this dog no matter what. Season tix might take a slight dip (2 to 4% down) but Miller relies more on corporate sales, advertising, gimmickry, alcohol, concessions and parking than he does on a couple hundred mopes turning in their season ticket loops.

If they come out of the chute 1-6 or 2-8, I suspect O'Shea's days are numbered 'til Wadzilla has to bring a security detail into O'Shea's office and force him to turn in his keys to the desk fort. NOTE: Its pretty obvious most in bomberville are terrified of the former Argo Mountain Man, Wad Miller no exception. That's why its ultra important to keep Paul Lapolice around as the go-to guy if O'Shea has to be cut loose. And to replace Richie Hall with Noel Thorpe - or someone half-arsed competent.
Dude! Do you seriously  look at life this way?Wow!

aulcee

I'm  really hoping  we drop Hall.It is the only thing holding us back in my opinion.OShea is a real draw here,and I think Walters will fill the gaps.I think we need to see some results from the scouting department.We are close,and now we just need to take the next step.Nice to see our OC resign.

aulcee

OShea was rather  vague about coordinators.I hope that means bye bye Hall.To me that puts us over the top

wolverine29

.......So the inevitable one and done occurred on a frigid day in the Peg... but not as cold as the horrid D co-ordinators schemes in the second half...Utter bull$hit....Esks. have some really good receivers but on two glaring plays they were left all on their lonesome to put up six and that's all she wrote..... I suspect Ritchie has drawn his last pay cheque here...Hurl has to be replaced or shuffled off to special teams.....O'Shea...hear this....he's not a bloody linebacker.....See who is available in free agency and go after him hard....We also need a bigger receiver to complement Adams....

...As far as the game itself.....Nobody is mentioning the call by O'Shea in our end to try and run for a first instead of punting.....IF it works you look great....if it doesn't....Mike O you're a goat

.....Harris played his heart out in a losing effort....Great player who is not that young anymore for football....A few other players are reaching their best before date and we have some players to sign before free agency...Going to be an interesting offseason to see if we can get better and keep our keepers...

....Long offseason once more and this regime better make the right moves and be a solid contender for the Cup for sure, or there will be a 'gutting' and we start all over again....First move is to get Thorpe on the line and get the ball rolling
As far as the big plays given up by the D, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the scheme.  The big plays were all to the side of the field where Walker and Alexander were in coverage as I recall.  Seemed like each time one of the DBs should've stayed with his man deep but released him to pick up a guy short.  Both guys played well this year but they are both rookies and they were targeted a bunch by the Esks who for the most part avoided going much at Randle or Heath.  There were bound to be a couple of breakdowns when you have two rookies playing the same side of the field and this was the wrong game for it to happen.  Maybe having Leggett's experience to communicate with the young guys and help settle them down would've helped, but it cost us unfortunately.

That fake punt call wasn't necessary, agreed.  Cory Watson made a great play on it.  Not sure if anyone saw Watson's comments on it after the game, but he pretty much said that one of the lineman blew his assignment which allowed him to make the play.  Bad call, but a mistake in execution made it worse.

It's small mistakes like that which cost us the game. We also faced some adversity with the officiating which we weren't able to respond well to which led to quick points for the Esks in the second half and put the game essentially out of reach.  The Bombers showed resiliency all season long, going back to early in the season with winning all the close games.  However that didn't happen this time around.

Offseason will be a long one.  Even with O'Shea's comments regarding LaPo, he left the door open to LaPo leaving but obviously there are the new rules in place which would require us getting compensation in return for letting a coach go that's under contract.  LaPo would have to want to go first, not sure if he really wants to at this point.  Rumors persist Hall may have health issues so he may step away on his own. The scheme will need to change though and I don't see how Hall can return given how many points and yards we kept giving up all season. 

As for the players, we have a hefty list of pending free agents, but thanks to the one year deals so does every team.  Sounds like a few of the vets are contemplating retirement.  That would suck.  I'm concerned a guy like Travis Bond may be gone.  Three Americans on the Oline would be expensive, he's an all star caliber player, and could play tackle if needed.   There will be a lot of money thrown his way I think.  BC for instance had a terrible Oline and most of their starters are pending free agents so they'll have money.  Neufeld was OK, but he's only good in small doses IMO.  He can't fill the shoes of an all star.  With Jeffcoat and Okpalaugo stepping up their games at the end of the season, Westerman may not be brought back.  Maybe no Medlock, Leggett thinking retirement.  And even then, assuming there's a new DC, he may want to change some players anyways.  The roster for sure will have some changes.  

tabbyfan

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that WBB fans are down on O'Shea.  I really like him, he reminds me of a CFL Don Cherry, he would die for his players.  Yeah he may make a bad call, but far less than we watched Hamilton make this year (2nd and 1 from the 1, hand off 5 yards deep, loss.  Then again, but this time a failed pass).  Plus he is still only in his 5th year if I remember correctly as HC.  I wouldn't mind if he came to coach in Hamilton; Kahari Jones would be another great HC.

Also to remember, if those "bad calls" worked if would be a daring genius.

Lyle B. Style

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that WBB fans are down on O'Shea.  I really like him, he reminds me of a CFL Don Cherry, he would die for his players.  Yeah he may make a bad call, but far less than we watched Hamilton make this year (2nd and 1 from the 1, hand off 5 yards deep, loss.  Then again, but this time a failed pass).  Plus he is still only in his 5th year if I remember correctly as HC.  I wouldn't mind if he came to coach in Hamilton; Kahari Jones would be another great HC.

O'Shea is entering his 5th year as bomber HC - his career winning percentage, including playoffs is a tepid .477

He's made the playoffs twice - losing in both outings. Questionable coaching in both games, ineffective decision-making and really bad let in terms of explosion plays by the opponents.

He lost Bob Wylie (old coot o-line coach) to a bad NFL team and really hasn't upgraded any of the coaching staff in any way. Very lucky to have Plop back for another year. Can't imagine this team with Garry Crouton or Marcel Bellfeiulle.

Bomber fans love O'Shea's "Loyalty Act". They're buying it hook, line & sinker. Only problem is the results speak for themselves.

PS. Safari Jones will never amount to head coaching material. He failed in terms of providing a gifted athlete like Jennings a proper offense. only time they really exploded for big yards were when pitted up against the Richie Hall Stinky defenses.

Wally will anoint Mark Washington head coach - but only if the BC embargo on black head coaches is lifted. He can also offer the HC job to PLop Lapolice - but would have to provide compensation to Winnipeg - as the bombers re-upped Lapolice for another season! Bombers could easily end up with Brian Burnham (WR) and Khari Jones (OC) if Plop takes the Vancouver job.

DAN38

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that WBB fans are down on O'Shea.  I really like him, he reminds me of a CFL Don Cherry, he would die for his players.  Yeah he may make a bad call, but far less than we watched Hamilton make this year (2nd and 1 from the 1, hand off 5 yards deep, loss.  Then again, but this time a failed pass).  Plus he is still only in his 5th year if I remember correctly as HC.  I wouldn't mind if he came to coach in Hamilton; Kahari Jones would be another great HC.

Also to remember, if those "bad calls" worked if would be a daring genius
   You are correct. WBB fans are down on MOS. Myself included. I like the Cherry analogy. I thought that myself but loyalty to a player has to have a limit. Remember that old grade school teacher who let the students do what they wanted, regardless ! Well that don't work. Nobody learned anything in those classes. Nobody cared because nobody was afraid. I like MOS but he has to crack the whip. Enough diaper changing. 5 years IS enough time to create a team. One that doesn't constantly win in the last second on a come-from-behind effort. Too many games are this way. WE need a dominant team in order to win it all, not a team that keeps coming in the backdoor. I said last year that we were winning too many close games and we need to get over the hump. That needs players who can do it for you.
   Also, the players this team has released in the past few years and those that they didn't sign or resign when they had the chance help fill the rosters of teams that are successful. The ex-Bombers on other teams is sickening.

Also to remember, if those "bad calls" worked it would be LUCK.---fixed it for you. ;D

Si vis pacem... para bellum

papazoola

......What I'm afraid of Dan is that a 5 year run has resulted in 'as good as it get's and we've peaked.....Faltering at the beginning of 18 will be an indicator and it wont be a pleasant place around here...I'm hoping that's NOT the case but I'm a little tentative about this present head coach's tenure..

Lyle B. Style

......What I'm afraid of Dan is that a 5 year run has resulted in 'as good as it get's and we've peaked.....Faltering at the beginning of 18 will be an indicator and it wont be a pleasant place around here...I'm hoping that's NOT the case but I'm a little tentative about this present head coach's tenure..
Actually it will probably be Act 1, Scene 4
The lemmings, pushovers, brown-nosers and 90% of local media will go thru a feeble 2018 opening with the usual pap about new schemes, formations, couple injuries, etc. causing the problem - NOT that its innate or anything.

The usual suspect response cycle goes like this, its still early, still a bit early, ok lets see what they do in the 2nd half, changes should be contemplated, maybe the backup should be the starter, changes should be demanded. Rinse & repeat.

So long as Herr Miller can jam 25,000 to 28,000 into the park (remember the rider game(s) of 33,000+ really skew the game averages) no changes will be made in 2018.

2019 - that's another story - a poor to muddling 2018 might signal the demise of 2 of the 3 so-called amigos (Miller, O'Shea, Walters). Can't imagine who survives?

But so long as the money is flowing, the stadium hasn't demised and the hot dog vendors wear gloves - ALL IS WELL.

wolverine29

I'm not.  Is he perfect?  No, he makes bad calls.  Every head coach does, so does he make more than his fair share?  Hard to say.  His win percentage is sub .500, granted.  However his first two years were dismal as the team was being rebuilt from the mess Joe Mack left of the roster.  The last two seasons his win percentage, with or without the playoffs included, is over .600.  Has he topped out?  I don't think so.  I think it's very telling how players want to play for him.  I'm not sure that was happening in Hamilton this year under Austin.  

Certain people have suggested winning seasons are enough for the Bombers to be happy with the status quo.  I think that's preposterous.  Winning in the playoffs just sells more in terms of tickets and merchandise.  Winning the cup let's you make money of a whole lot of cup champion gear.  To suggest that they are happy with the status quo just goes beyond all logic.  We moved on from our co-ordinators in O'Shea's first couple of years, I fully expect changes coming on D coaching this off season.  If anything they are guilty on being a bit too slow to make changes.  Maybe they are too afraid of making a rash decision that costs them.  Still, I think they realize the writing is on the wall in that the D is the biggest factor holding the team back from taking that next step.  

Disappointment in the loss aside, if you take a step back and look at what's going on here, the team and the roster have steadily improved over the last few years.  I don't know of any other fan base that has this much distaste towards their own team given our record, and that within the West division which is the toughest. We were only one of two teams to have a winning record against the west division and yet O'Shea's either overrated, a bum, or peaked.  Meanwhile, over in Ottawa they have had back to back 8-9-1 records and are at best a middling team, but thanks to a run in the playoffs last year and Campbell's a god.  

I'll be accused of wearing rose coloured glasses and I'm fine with that.  Am I happy getting knocked out in the first round or that our Grey Cup drought will continue?  Heck no.  But the team is in the best spot it's been in in 15 years as we haven't had back to back winning seasons like this since Dave Ritchie 2001-2003.  So by all means, let's blow it up.

DAN38

MOS- 4 years-2 playoff games both losses

Campbell- 4 years-5 playoff games- 2 GC appearances-1 GC

These kind of stats speak volumes. Whatever the excuses or reasons, they both were hired to do a job. Who is doing it better ?.....Excepting Lyle, there would be next to nothing in the complaint department if MOS had even close to Campbell's results. Maybe MOS can't figure out that not every player is an Ugly Duckling. Some will forever be ugly.

Iconic SR

Fans in Winnipeg have one major fault. They are far too forgiving. Guys like O'Shea, Miller, Paul Maryse, Kelvin Cheveldayoff, Mark Chipman have learned the secret - and the secret is - BROWN NOSE THE LOCALS TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH

if Hall is revealed to continue his awful work as DC due to O'Shea's extreme loyalty - and the team comes out of the chute no better than 1-5, 1-6 there better be 3 bus tickets to North Bay ready for the O'Shea family and a couple Greyhounds going the other way to Regina (for Hall)

Personally I wouldn't wait - but BROWN-NOSERS CAN WAIT FOREVER - CUZ THEY'VE LEARNED THERE'S LITTLE TO NO CONSEQUENCES FOR POOR PERFORMANCE.

I only have one more thought. How much more of the same do you want to see before you pass judgement?
Participated in a CFL focus group couple years back at Grey Cup 100. We learned that season ticket holders can't all be lumped into the same basket. Some want to punish poor performance or strongly express their concerns, while others not so much. And then there is everything in between. See below:

Some will purchase/renew only if they see a direction and decisions from the club that they support. (This is a scary fan because they can be very fickle). Bandwagon jumpers get grouped into here too. Ugh.

Some will purchase/renew no matter what. Many of these types can't imagine NOT having a team, so they will tolerate anything and always show up. (The best fans a team could hope for). The teams brand penetration is deepest here with this group.

Some are sports nuts so they buy just because it's pro football where they live. Can be fickle based on personal economics and while most are passionate about their local team, quite a few are not - but go anyway to get their fix.

Some will buy because they want to be involved as a community supporter and will use tix themselves or give them away or resell them as required (2nd best type of fan, pretty much always there with the $)

Corporate: giveaways for clients or staff (Has their ebbs and flows with their business success and club success). Usually pretty consistent tho as it's a good advertising medium for many businesses.

ExPats: this category is mostly unique to or predominant with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. These season ticket holders have moved away years ago but still renew their tix and attend a few games here and there when they can, while giving away the rest to family and friends. Emotional purchaser, cannot let go of their ties to the team. Tied for 2nd best type of fan.

Casual or walk up = crapshoot. Weather, timing, & other events etc all affect the commitment levels here.

Users Online

62 Guests, 3 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, Lyle B. Style, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 100. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)