Balticfox

Legendary Winnipeg Blue Bomber coach Bud Grant's name was added to those of QB Ken Ploen, OL Chris Walby, FB Gerry James, WR Milt Stegall, QB Dieter Brock and HB Leo Lewis.on the Blue Bombers' Ring of Honour at halftime of a game against the Edmonton Eskimos that took place in late September 2016:

Here as well is a video clip of Coach Grant's appearance when his statue was unveiled outside Winnipeg's  Investors Group Field in October 2014:

http://www.youtube.com/v/X7i9fxRQCmY&version=3&f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

Here are some excerpts from Bud's simply phenomenal career:

1.  He had poliomyelitis as a kid. He accordingly took up sports to help strengthen his leg muscles!

2.  He lettered in three sports at the University of Minnesota - football,  basketball and baseball! Twice he was All Big-Ten in football.

3.  He was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1950.  But he was also drafted in the fourth round by the Minneapolis Lakers  though! He chose basketball and played 35 games for the Lakers in the  latter part of the 1949-50 season. He stayed with the Lakers for one  more season in 1950-51.

4.  He then realized he would never achieve  much in the NBA. He elected to switch to football and joined the  Philadelphia Eagles for the 1951 season. He played defensive end that  season leading the Eagles in sacks.

5.  He switched to wide  receiver for the 1952 season and was second in the NFL in receiving  yards with 997! He then thought he merited a healthy salary increase.  The Eagles disagreed and told Grant to take it or leave it. He opted to  leave it, and instead signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for more  money.

6.  He played both defensive back and offensive end for the  Blue Bombers for the next four seasons. He led the Western  Interprovincial Football Union in receiving yardage in 1953 and 1956,  pass receptions  in 1953, 1954 and 1956, and was named a  W.I.F.U. all-star in 1953, 1954 and 1956.

7.  He still holds the CFL record for most interceptions in a playoff game with five!

8.  In 1957 he was named the head coach of the Blue Bombers at the age of  29! When later asked how long it took his former teammates to realize  that he was now the boss, he replied "About five minutes."

9.  He  coached the Blue Bombers to a Grey Cup berth that very first year in  1957 and then again in 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962 and 1965 with the Blue  Bombers emerging triumphant in 1958, 1959, 1961 and 1962. Ironically all  six of those Blue Bomber Grey Cup games were against the Hamilton  Tiger-Cats.

10.  The custom of Blue Bomber linemen playing games in  sub-zero November temperatures with bare arms against their similarly  bare armed rivals with the Edmonton Eskimos may have originated during  Bud Grant's tenure in the fifties. Simple intimidation "What, you call  this cold?" Those were the days when the Western final was a best of  three game affair played over the course of eight days. Football players  were tough in those days.

11.  He was offered the job of head  coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 1961. He turned it down at the time,  but relented and accepted the position in 1967.

12.  He then  engineered a rare trade between teams in the separate leagues when he  acquired QB Joe Kapp from the British Columbia Lions in exchange for  Canadian WR Jim Young. Young would go on to earn the appellate "Dirty  Thirty" with the Lions and was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall  of Fame after retirement.

13.  He wouldn't allow heaters along the  Viking sidelines during games. He wanted his players to stay focused on  winning the game and not warming up by the heaters. When you saw the  Vikings standing like ice giants along the sideline in their purple  cloaks while the other team huddled miserably by their heaters, it was  pretty obvious which team would win the game!

14.  When many  players took to celebrating TDs with outlandish antics in the end zone  in the late seventies, Viking players did not. When a reporter asked Bud  whether there was a team rule prohibiting such celebrations, his reply  was "No, there's no such rule. They just better not."

15.  Bud  Grant didn't like to see players fidgeting during the national anthem.  He thought that standing respectfully at attention would earn not just  the respect of the fans but also of the players on the other team. He  accordingly had giant defensive end and former National Guardsmen Carl  Eller lead his Viking teammates in national anthem practices.

16.  The player Bud Grant considered to be the best he ever coached in either  league was Leo Lewis who played halfback for the Blue Bombers between  the years 1955 and 1966. Leo had rushed for 8861 yards with a remarkable  average of 6.6 yards per carry. You can therefore imagine Bud's  astonishment in 1981 when he was told that a fellow named Leo Lewis had  walked into the Vikings' training camp asking for a tryout. The  applicant was the son of the Leo Lewis that Bud had coached in Winnipeg.  Leo Lewis III not only made the roster that year but played for the  Vikings as a wide receiver and punt returner until 1991.

17.  Bud  Grant had a fear of flying. His Blue Bombers (and of course Vikings)  always flew to their games though. "The players sleep more restfully in a  hotel than they do on a train. I don't matter." was his explanation.  'Nuff said.

Here are some scans of CFL cards from my collection featuring Bud Grant:

1954 Blue Ribbon

1963 CFL Coins

1964 Nalley's CFL Coins

Sly old fox!

hoth

Bud's 1956 Parkhurst card (plus a couple more).

hoth

Two of my all-time favorite cards.
Imo, there's never been a nicer-looking set of football cards than these.

Balticfox

Imo, there's never been a nicer-looking set of football cards than these.

Oh I agree! And yours are fabulous! Are they both as white as they appear on the screen?

Did you buy the cards slabbed or did you yourself get the cards slabbed? 

???

Personally I don't like my cards slabbed. That's not the way I remember the cards I had as a kid and cards for me are all about nostalgia. Moreover I hate PSA's grading standards. PSA doesn't penalize for toning, and I penalize heavily for toning. Toning makes cards look old! PSA though penalizes off-center cards heavily, and I simply don't care as long as they're 90/10 or better. I never cared about centering as a kid, so why should I care now?

I'd only consider getting my own cards slabbed if I was planning to sell them. 

:-\

hoth

Are they both as white as they appear on the screen?

Yup.

Did you buy the cards slabbed or did you yourself get the cards slabbed?

I bought these graded.

Personally I don't like my cards slabbed. That's not the way I remember the cards I had as a kid and cards for me are all about nostalgia. Moreover I hate PSA's grading standards. PSA doesn't penalize for toning, and I penalize heavily for toning. Toning makes cards look old! PSA though penalizes off-center cards heavily, and I simply don't care as long as they're 90/10 or better. I never cared about centering as a kid, so why should I care now?

PSA is much harsher on 1950s CFL cards than NFL.
They are very inconsistent as well. Especially with Blue Ribbon cards where they hand-out some downright stupid grades.

I'd only consider getting my own cards slabbed if I was planning to sell them.

I prefer to buy graded on the very high-end cards. The rare times they come around.
I've never gotten anything graded that I've purchased raw. It's too nerve-wracking putting thousands of dollars worth of cards back into the mail system.

Hank01

Thanks , I Enjoyed the tribute and bio on Bud Grant . Nicely done .

Users Online

49 Guests, 3 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Garney 26, MadJack, Google (AdSense), Google (3), Baidu, Alexa

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)