wolverine29

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/01/draft-rewind-5-years-1st-round-picks-2/

Read this. Maybe, just maybe someone might understand that it is not a big deal if your 1st rounder doesn't pan out. I said before, I'll say again, A draft is a crap shoot in any league...good to notice how many Bomber 1st round picks are still playing though.

I'm moving on from this needles and worthless discussion but don't let that stop anyone from bringing it up incessantly.
Ekakitie can still develop into a player.  You have to be realistic as to the things that factored into Ekakitie's release.  After Westerman and Bond were gone and the addition of Demski, they moved two starting Nat spots to the offense and essentially made the d-line all import.  It's not the first time a CFL team has had to make a tough decision on a high draft pick after changing the way they deploy the ratio.  And second, the depth of the players on the Dline and across the roster overall meant there wasn't room left for them to keep him around to continue his development.  In fact, they had to cut Casher and Montgomery and both played really well vs the Lions.  It's actually a good sign that we have enough talent on the roster capable of playing today if need be that we can't accommodate a National project anymore at a position not essential to our ratio. Ekakitie will catch on with another team that uses Nationals on their Dline and could still turn out to be a fine to really good CFLer with additional coaching.  If all you want to do is gripe, you'll point fingers and blame Walters for wasting a pick.  Or you can sit back and look at the roster and see how balanced Walters has made the roster and that Ekakitie just wasn't a fit anymore.  
   Are you saying that I'm griping, wolverine, because if so, you better read my posts again. I am neither griping or pointing fingers. I don't think a 1st round pick is anything to lose sleep over and I agree with what you say. You must have me mixed up with someone else.
To be clear Dan I don't feel you are griping whatsoever.  My intent was to offer a different viewpoint in support of your reasoning.  Drafts are a crapshoot, none moreso than the CFL draft given the ratio and how teams needs can change year to year thanks to free agency and management/coaching changes.  Also the draft can have a lot of variables thanks to potential NFL deals and year to year changes in talent level that don't affect other leagues which increase it's unpredictability.  Take Calgary for instance.  On the same day we released Ekakitie, they released their 1st rd pick in Bolling from the same draft class.  At the same time they release Anthony Parker who lost his spot to their 7th rd pick from that draft.  Also, perhaps one of the best players out of that draft class, Tunde Adeleke, was a 3rd rd pick in that draft year so even Calgary passed over him a few times before picking him.  Hindsight is nice, but you can't spend all your time look backwards.  Looking forward with the group we have, I think we should be in good shape.

DAN38

Thanks Wolverine.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

DAN38

My view on Ekakitie is very similar. However, I don't even thing the bomber tall foreheads had the courtesy of a video of this dud. My educated guess is they went back to the old died in the wool 40s and 50s recruiting tool - some 'ol bird dog on his last legs, some dung-whisperer . . . . .

Not only did Faith not work out - he was slow, weak & out-of-shape - the trifecta of bad #1 picks. AWFUL

As for getting attacked Joe - get used to it. But know this

The attacks will usually be personal in nature - not football or strategy related.

You see, the typical attack-troll is mostly devoid of football information. Just disruptors trying to create chaos on a normally solid board thread.

So when I get personally attacked I generally write off the attacker as a no-mind with harmful intention. Plain 'n simple.

Even more dangerous is the hybrid attack-troll. These types usually possess a football IQ between 1 and 3 (out of 10) so they mix in a bit of football talk with their personal attacks to camouflage harmful intent. However, most are near no-minds who think MOS is a brilliant tactical coach, Sam Hurl is a warrior, Ky Walters a draft genius & Danny Mac a never-miss scout.
   Poor Lyle, you are really hard done by, aren't you ? It sure seems you can dish out personal attacks but wither when receiving them.... There must be a team somewhere that is perfect in all aspects otherwise how would you be able to see all the mistakes made by the Bombers.

Joe, I know the team is not perfect but I can still enjoy watching them play. When I'm watching a close well played game of any sport, I never think about that bad trade or bad pick they made, I'm watching the game. If that makes me a 'no-mind' or 'lacking in football information'(2 things Lyle has just referred to me as), so be it. Try to imagine how little I care.
  Joe, I think you are a good poster. I never attacked you personally but I did mention your attitude concerning the team. You recently told me to go screw myself. I understand your frustration and I don't hold a grudge....I am a fan. I overlook mistakes because I am a fan. If the team is so dreadful that I can't stand them, I will no longer want to be a fan but I'm not really like that. I stick it out.  My constant griping and whining does not change a thing, except how I feel.
  I also read every post before i comment. Papazoola was the poster who said we should have picked Vandervoot and he is most likely correct but they didn't and I won't lose any sleep over it. My point is that I read what others have said and try to understand before I attack, as some call it.

Besides the Bombers, the other team I cheer for and have for 60 years is the Toronto Maple Leafs. I know what frustration feels like. I could write a book on the mistakes they have made but to what end?

Cheers Joe.

joe

Again no response to the issue raised in my post. Big whatever on that.

I get the past being the past but it is totally possible that we have the wrong guy driving the bus is it not.

Things are not better than they have ever been. We start the season with a huge question mark at the most important position on the team unless Nichol's salary is reflective of some other factor and for the first time anywhere since 1994 are starting a quarterback with no professional experience. No doubt about who is making that call imo. We'll see if we see what they see.

I am not against Chris Streveler in any way and wish him the best but it is a fairly crazy plan at best and no one else around the league is thinking it is for the best. Plenty of curiosity about the true extent of the injury and plenty of acknowledgement that there are other good pieces in place although doesn't seem like much faith in the Bombers getting it done other than in Bomberville.

And yes I can hear everyone going c'mon quit with this crap already and I understand there is not an reasonable answer to "what were they thinking". Most common reply to that is "I wasn't". No problem. Try again next time.

Thank you Lyle for the support you offer and the concern we share. My apology for not getting back to you sooner regarding George Fleming and Norm Winton but the earliest kicker I remember was Pierre Guindon back in the day before Lakusiak took over. I believe Don Jonas did place kicking as well at one point. Ed Ulmer may have been the punter at the time.

I live in Ontario and during the recent election it came out that the province is $325 billion dollars in debt. That has to be a significant daily interest amount. Yet the spin is open for business and never been better. Totally irrelevant but equally discouraging. Again imo. Not sure about Manitoba. Politicians don't like to talk about those things either.

Anyway, yada yada. Game day is here and looking forward to it. We will soon see what 2018 has in store. I am hopeful of a good showing and no further injuries to key personnel. A win would help but not the end of the world if they don't get it done. Beating Montreal next week will be more of an indication of what they have.

Hoping for a good trick play tonight. Always fun. Enjoy the game.

joe

Besides the Bombers, the other team I cheer for and have for 60 years is the Toronto Maple Leafs. I know what frustration feels like. I could write a book on the mistakes they have made but to what end?

My sympathies on that and another thing I will never understand. Leafs are the NHL equivalent of the Riders to me. Even the Leafs at some point figured out that John Ferguson Jr wasn't gonna get it done and moved on.

I was and still am a Chicago Blackhawk fan but also follow and cheer for the Jets. Hawks didn't know what they had with Byfuglien. Unfortunate imo.

DAN38

Again no response to the issue raised in my post. Big whatever on that.

I get the past being the past but it is totally possible that we have the wrong guy driving the bus is it not.

Things are not better than they have ever been. We start the season with a huge question mark at the most important position on the team unless Nichol's salary is reflective of some other factor and for the first time anywhere since 1994 are starting a quarterback with no professional experience. No doubt about who is making that call imo. We'll see if we see what they see.

I am not against Chris Streveler in any way and wish him the best but it is a fairly crazy plan at best and no one else around the league is thinking it is for the best. Plenty of curiosity about the true extent of the injury and plenty of acknowledgement that there are other good pieces in place although doesn't seem like much faith in the Bombers getting it done other than in Bomberville.

And yes I can hear everyone going c'mon quit with this crap already and I understand there is not an reasonable answer to "what were they thinking". Most common reply to that is "I wasn't". No problem. Try again next time.

Thank you Lyle for the support you offer and the concern we share. My apology for not getting back to you sooner regarding George Fleming and Norm Winton but the earliest kicker I remember was Pierre Guindon back in the day before Lakusiak took over. I believe Don Jonas did place kicking as well at one point. Ed Ulmer may have been the punter at the time.

I live in Ontario and during the recent election it came out that the province is $325 billion dollars in debt. That has to be a significant daily interest amount. Yet the spin is open for business and never been better. Totally irrelevant but equally discouraging. Again imo. Not sure about Manitoba. Politicians don't like to talk about those things either.

Anyway, yada yada. Game day is here and looking forward to it. We will soon see what 2018 has in store. I am hopeful of a good showing and no further injuries to key personnel. A win would help but not the end of the world if they don't get it done. Beating Montreal next week will be more of an indication of what they have.

Hoping for a good trick play tonight. Always fun. Enjoy the game.
  I never think of the Leafs and the Riders together. My brain won't let me.

What response am I missing? You asked quite a few questions. I may have thought it was part of your cadence.

If we do have the wrong guy driving the bus, it ain't a good idea to change when we're on the highway. We either go with this driver now or pull over.

5 years this crew has been running the show... Mistakes ? Lots ! Buddy boy system ? Probably ! Some wrong players ? Undoubtedly !
   5 years ago we were in a terrible mess and now we have stability, we are a contender and we have players wanting to come to the team. I see a massive turnaround with minimal problems. We will put it together. Maybe you would rather have Calgary's problem ? They have everything running smoothly and can't win the Cup when it is right in front of them. Or how about Montreal's problems ? Nah, I like where we are. We will put it together. I have faith.

wolverine29

If we do have the wrong guy driving the bus, it ain't a good idea to change when we're on the highway. We either go with this driver now or pull over.

5 years this crew has been running the show... Mistakes ? Lots ! Buddy boy system ? Probably ! Some wrong players ? Undoubtedly !
   5 years ago we were in a terrible mess and now we have stability, we are a contender and we have players wanting to come to the team. I see a massive turnaround with minimal problems. We will put it together. Maybe you would rather have Calgary's problem ? They have everything running smoothly and can't win the Cup when it is right in front of them. Or how about Montreal's problems ? Nah, I like where we are. We will put it together. I have faith.
At least I'm hopeful and excited to watch this team play week in and week out.  For far too long before the Walters/O'Shea era cheering for this team was tedious and frustrating.  We were a middling team whether we were in the East or West, too many sub-.500 seasons, and a roster that had deficiencies. Back then we just hoped to get into the playoffs.  The expectations are a lot higher now, even with the Nichols injury, and we have a team that should be able to consistently give itself a chance.  

Your example was spot on.  Calgary was the best team in the CFL the last few years and I'm sure they feel like they should have a couple more Grey Cup wins but they've been beaten by the East teams who were by all accounts "weaker" division.  There's no guaranteed road to winning the cup.  However, unlike what it's been like here in the past, this team is finally built up to the point where there's enough talent and depth that gives it a chance to get to the playoffs and a shot at getting to the Cup game year in and year out.  

The Nichols injury is a set back, for sure.  The QB depth is inexperienced, but it will get a chance to learn on the job until Nichols is back.  If we're to lose our starting QB, it's better we lose him now and have him good to go for the playoffs.  And finally, I think the roster has enough experience and a tight knit group on both sides of the ball to help mitigate some of the drop off from not having Nichols under centre.  It may be rough, but I don't expect us to get blown out for the next while like many are expecting.  I'll at least wait to see how the first game plays out before I shout about the sky falling.

Lyle B. Style

Two things -

1. Lots of folks feel sorry for bomber braintrust after Nichols nuked his leg in spring training - NOT ME. They thought they had solved the problem of backup by signing Durant, sight unseen - but I have severe problems with this. Why not work this guy out? He's 36 going on 56, an injury machine so to speak - so before bestowing him with $70k of provincial govt. monies why not give him a work out? Or at least make sure he shows for rookie camp (which he skipped).

2. Streveler will do just fine in the interim - might not win a ton of games but only a few obsessives expect it. Leave him in there - let him learn from Plop, Buck & Nichols in the brace.

3. Faith Ekakitie just landed a spot with the Als. No surprise - Kavis is short on national talent in a number of areas - very little depth to boot.

Of the above 3 points, 2 of them involve signing guys BLIND. Durant coming into his late 30s and showing signs of parts falling off - and then EKAK with zero to little face time, no direct scouting and only believing what some scoundrel puts into your ear.

Streveler is a godsend compared to Durant & Ekaka
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

papazoola

…..The way I see it is that we're going to find out just what we have in the bullpen....Could be another Jim Van Pelt.....orrrrr a lame duck like Lefevour who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn but sure as heck could run..... We already know that Streveler can run and also is a pretty good chucker ...How he manages a game with all of the starters in place will be very important.. Nichols being sidelined is NOT the way you want to start the season..BUT we have to use this misfortune and play around it....Bodes well for the future if indeed we have another Van Pelt but just as important to keep the hunt for another quality qb. as a no 1 priority if it turns out differently....You can't do anything about the past but you sure as hell can do something about the future...In any event I'll be supporting our guys in any way I can.... GOBIGBLUE...nail the schmoes
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Wumper

I was polite yesterday, it's game day so let's get it on...

Edmo O line is close to the one we handled in pre.
Bomber front seven plus Lofler is nasty.
MR is now 33 years old and has been taking CFL style poundings for several years. He's had at least two major injuries.
He isn't afraid to put himself at risk to finish a play.
Mike, meet Jason, Trent, Adam and Taylor...
If Bombers get to him, we've got a good shot at this one.
Talk is about Edmo blitzing, I'm looking for a nasty rush from the BB D....and this year, with Biggy, they won't get hurt by it.
This one will be Closer than most think
Illegitimi non carborundum

DAN38

Wade Miller arranged the TWO delays so the sheep fans would be closer to the concessions longer to buy overpriced popcorn and hotdogs. He needs the money for his in-ground pool. Supreme court investigation for this clown !

Mike O'Shea can't coach. He's a mere shadow of his former self. We need a new HC !

Ritchie Hall doesn't know anything about Defences. Get rid of him pronto !

Kyle Walters lost the game last night because he drafted Faith Ekakitie 1st overall and he should have known better. Fire him !

Matt Nichols is faking. It's all part of the Illuminati plot to keep the team mediocre. Where's our backup QB ?

NOW, repeat, repeat, repeat, over, over, over, hypnotically...like they were the lyrics of a Sting/Police song.

joe

Oh so close. The two points would have been nice. I honestly thought with 6 mins left the Schmoes would not have the time to get it done. Been wrong before, sun is most likely to come up tomorrow.

Did not see anything from Edmonton that makes me think they will be in the Grey Cup. Seemed like a confused secondary, maybe due to injuries but still several costly mistakes. Oline got pushed around by the Winnipeg pass rush. In the end Riley got it done by the skin of his nose to win. Thanks to everyone for coming out.

Bombers had many good showings. Noticeable to me was Jovan Santos Knox who stood out imo. Jeffcoat and Trent Corney were in the Edmonton backfield all night and I hope that is a sign of things to come. Drake Nevis also gets high marks for disrupting whatever stood between him and his target. Nice to see his enthusiasm. Did not notice Roh or Okpalaugo as much but would say in general the D  played well. Good on Streveler to take advantage of the Edmonton breakdowns and put up the points he did. Dressler contributed. Bomber O is still in tough but consider a baby step taken. As mentioned the 2 points would have been nice.

Looks like we need to move on from bashing Zach Collaros. Riders looked better than I hoped to see. Didn't notice much from Sam Hurl who I tried to watch. Maybe that is to his credit. Still very early but Sask will need to be taken seriously.

TO never seemed to get untracked. James Wilder M.I.A. and a couple of SJ Greene drops. All good when you play in the east. Still defending champs so can't drop your guard.

Not sure Hamilton was aware of the game starting but came around after leaving Bo Levi on his own for the first quarter. Was surprised to see Nik Lewis in the Ti Cat backfield wearing a jersey with Whitlock on the back. Definitely had to be Nik. Masoli played very well before tossing the late interception. Hamilton has good value with him and the $350,000 all bonuses attained deal. (yes Dan, that was a shot).

Calgary will be for real again. Just missing, hitting uprights but getting it done. Bo Levi is the man and Stamps are a playoff team if he stays healthy. Adeleke stood out on D with several good plays.

BC needed a win and got one. Lots of positives. Jennings has a good O line in front of him. Defense got beaten early but seemed to adjust at the half. Ty Long played great. (another shot Dan)

Montreal showed some promise and was respectable which they needed to be. A win would have been gravy. I would not be surprised if Travis Bond is not an Alouette soon but maybe not if the money is an issue. They were crazy to not keep Olafioye but Sherman is connected and should be able to find meat if they think they need it. Liked that Willy went right back to Chris Williams after he dropped a pass and think they have a good looking receiving group. 87 (Lewis?) made some nice YAC yards. Liked what I saw from Willy getting up after a couple of hard hits as well and think they might not be as bad as everyone is expecting.

Week 1 according to Joe in the west goes:

Calgary
Saskatchewan
BC
Edmonton
Winnipeg

We'll see what week 2 brings.

joe

Bombers not seeing much love from the masses. Only a 2 point favorite when I checked earlier. Seems like an easy pick to go Bombers imo.

Good to hear Moe Leggett was taking part in practice today. Will definitely help if he is back up to speed and hope they do not feel they need to get him in the lineup if he is not ready. No doubt Als will test him if he is out there.

I see 20 + touches > 100 all purpose yards for Harris unless the Bombers get up by a comfortable margin early. If they do maybe Demski gets the ball. Will be surprised if they go away from the short passes and look to Petermann to stretch it out. Thinking they will try to get Bowman involved and would also like to see LaFrance have a good first game as a Bomber. Hopefully the first of many.

Saw Montreal is looking at 4 nationals on the O line which could be trouble for Willy and good news for the Winnipeg D. Liking Willy more now than when he was a Bomber and hope he has a decent outing for his sake. Still want the Bombers to win. 

Definitely an important 2 points up for grabs. Bombers don't need to lose any more ground right now.

High odds on the Bombers rolling out a trick play. Can't go two games in a row without one.

Stay tuned.

Lyle B. Style

2 pts up for grabs is the operative statement Joe.

Don't know if Willy is capable of finding open acreage in a Richie Hall defense but a lot of guys worse than Willy have ravaged that defense.

Streveler more like a Kenny Ploen prototype - slightly better arm than old #11, but #11 did more than QB-ing - he was an excellent DB in the Jim Van Pelt championship season, a half decent running back and flanker and even kicked some extra points when the team couldn't afford to harbour a kicker - or when Gerry James was ill.

Don't know if Mike Sherman's 1 game of CFL experience is enough to surpass Mik O'Shea as a CFL head man - but I guess we'll find out.

O'Shea is getting quite the rep for strange decisions when under duress. Will that continue? Guess we'll find out.

No Wade Miller house party at IGF? Thought he might take a tip from True North and try bomber parties for $10 and lower priced beer (ie. $7 instead of $11) but its still early. (btw, don't think that type of thing would attract more than a few hundred, maybe a 1000 to cavernous IGF)

joe

Thinking defensive battle shaping up.

Streveler in game #2 will do good to stick with the plan and avoid turnovers. I am not expecting him to dominate and go 300+ in the air. Would be nice if he can capitalize on mistakes and mismatches. He will be looking but will need to be careful and pick his spots. Personnel wise Montreal has a better D than what Edm rolled out last week.

A few ex Bombers that may want to show they still have it as well. Henoc probably doesn't care but Jamaal Westerman will play with his usual chip on the shoulder and may be trouble. Wouldn't expect to see Faith. Chip Cox was awesome 3 years ago. Similar to Moe Leggett in ability. Lapo will test him no doubt.

Bomber D needs to stop the run. No need to worry about Willy rolling out I would think. O line will have their hands full of Bomber jerseys or whatever they can grab. I see the Bombers winning that matchup. Would say over/under on sacks is at least 3 and likely attained.

Montreal has some nice pieces on their offence as well but getting them the ball will be the challenge. Chris Williams among them and although he was bashed last week I like what Stefan Logan brings. He is more than just a returner in his opinion.

Turnovers may decide the game. Could see 12 points coming from Medlock and betting Dressler is back holding. Hope for no further injuries to key personnel, grab the two points and head for Hamilton. Easy on paper. We will see. 

Users Online

70 Guests, 0 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (9)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)