aulcee

I don' see how you blame management for this.They had one of the best in the league signed and a veteran to back him up this spring.It is what every team wants.DD screwed them over and you can' help an injury.I don't get the management angle.I would have ranked us slightly behind Toronto and Edmonton.Ahead of Sask,BC,Ottawa,and equal to Hamilton and Calgary in QB stable.There is hardly a team out there who isn't in trouble when the starter goes down and their backup quits.
Very respectfully. You see it your way and I see it mine.

Now you have a good excuse for 2018. We'll see what next year brings.
I can only see two teams that would be OK if their starter went down. One is Edm and the other Ham. and Ham didn't really plan that Manziel would sign with them so we have to blame every team for not being prepared, except Edm.
 Don't worry, I will jump down management's throat anytime I see a stupid move but I can't fault them for DDs scum move or an unforeseen injury.

Walters and company have addressed every weak spot and more. I am still looking forward to this year, more so than I have for a while. Sometimes these little injuries are a boon. One of the backups may shine. At worst we start the year behind but our guys get game reps and experience.
Riders are in good shape with Collaros and Bridge.  Would also think the Argos should be OK with Franklin or even Bethel-Thompson if Ray goes down.  

The Bombers fully expected Durant to be the backup.  No team goes 3 deep in veteran QBs so to criticize management for not having the forsight to do it is nonsense.  Hopefully it's only 4-6 weeks like they are saying and no surprises.  If it stays that way and we struggle out of the gate, then we're still OK, it's a long season and in the CFL it's more about how you finish the season than the start.  Last year the Riders started 2-4 and finished 10-8 for example.  You just can't start 0-8 like the Tabbies did last year and expect to get in.  
Good to hear from you again, Wolverine !
Thanks Dan.  Had to take a break from all the negativity and name calling.  Looking forward to another BnG season.
Glad to see you back as well.I left for the same reasons.It will be pretty interesting to see what happens tonight.If they can move the ball with the roster that is going out there then they will be doing something for sure

DAN38

I guess I could mope about how we don't have a bona fide backup QB and who's fault that is but I prefer to see what a good game we just played in spite of losing. WOW, we played really well with hardly any starters. The QBs played well and with poise even though the Oline was new. Some great catches were made and the D played pretty good. It was an enjoyable game for a preseason tilt.
  I'm sure we are gonna be a stronger/better team because of Nichol's injury. Funny how a negative can turn into a positive.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

aulcee

I guess I could mope about how we don't have a bona fide backup QB and who's fault that is but I prefer to see what a good game we just played in spite of losing. WOW, we played really well with hardly any starters. The QBs played well and with poise even though the Oline was new. Some great catches were made and the D played pretty good. It was an enjoyable game for a preseason tilt.
  I'm sure we are gonna be a stronger/better team because of Nichol's injury. Funny how a negative can turn into a positive.
Yup,that was throwing those QBs into the fire! A young Oline that had never played together coupled with newbie recievers,backs etc... facing  BCs  starting lineup, I thought it would be alot worse.

papazoola

…..The team as a whole played really well...I was a bit disappointed in a couple of guys....namely Simonize...He didn't seem prepared and seemed to be running wrong routes...BUT what more can you say about this Petterman kid....He played himself on to the AR as far as I'm concerned...What a great pic he's turning out to be...Augustine wasn't as sharp as he was against Edm. but I think the blocking on a lot of his carries was lacking...All in all he's very adequate and should be brought along...A few guys played themselves off the club for sure and the hammer is about to be brought down shortly...Good effort in last nights game for sure
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

joe

Roster is set, we'll see what they can do.

Good on Walters for acknowledging the mistake in picking Ekakitie. Bad on him for picking him. Life goes on but it would be nice to see some accountability for performance. Hoping Corney can step up and salvage the brutal draft history somewhat.

Probably answers Clutch's question about developing players which is hard to do when the team keeps flip flopping decisions year to year. Kids running the show imo with an open cheque book. Wonder which buddy will get to run the soccer team. 

Would have liked to see Gause kept around and possibly developed into someone that could help down the road or next year but doesn't appear likely. Quite a bit of hype surrounding the signing and now gone. Things change fast in the CFL.

Defensive backfield with Fogg on the corner will be under the gun. At least we know he can run with the speedsters lined up across from him. Leggett coming back sooner than later will help and it will be interesting to hear something regarding that although I would have no expectation that they would feel any requirement to keep the masses informed.

Also thinking Ambrosie is serious about sms compliance and that would account for some of the cuts around the league. Nice to see Sask get reined in a bit.

Bakari Grant is an upgrade on Dressler imo but guessing most of WD7's money is already in the bank and the commitment has been made. Hopefully his last year. We'll see how many games he plays.

Truly hoping for a good season but not betting the back forty on it just yet. Will settle for a respectable showing and hoping that is not too much to ask.

Johnny Ticat slayer

Does anyone know what happened to the Bomberino poet Lyle B. Style?

He hasn't posted any comical rants for a month. 
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

joe

Does anyone know what happened to the Bomberino poet Lyle B. Style?

He hasn't posted any comical rants for a month.
Lyle is missed no doubt. Hope nothing bad has happened.

Possible the Bomber mafia caught up with him.

He was having a pretty good run and has a couple of toldyaso's to his credit already this year.

Simultini's all around in his honor.

Lyle B. Style

Where's Lyle?

Anyways - could be gloatin' in the floatin' at how the bomber draintrust finally broke in the face of Faith "No More" Ekakitie.

How this dud ever got signed for $90,000+ is beyond me but keep in mind this is the bomber org. so anything is possible! E-Kaka barely had a half-sack in college - he's 25 or 26 and Steven Hawking prolly would have stood him up on a bullrush.

Like the type of guys that Walters & his scouts have provided. Even the B & C teamers seem an upgrade over prior years.

Concerned Sonic Sam (love that nickname btw) Montgomery got cut but that's our deepest area. Hope he gets one of the final 2 yard-dog/taxi spots - unless his contract is fatter than Ekakities. If it is he'll prolly find work somewhere, no doubt.

QB deserves a comment all on its own. But I'm back on my training wheels after serving the appropriate sentence in the penalty box.  
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Johnny Ticat slayer

Where's Lyle?

Anyways - could be gloatin' in the floatin' at how the bomber draintrust finally broke in the face of Faith "No More" Ekakitie.

How this dud ever got signed for $90,000+ is beyond me but keep in mind this is the bomber org. so anything is possible! E-Kaka barely had a half-sack in college - he's 25 or 26 and Steven Hawking prolly would have stood him up on a bullrush.

Like the type of guys that Walters & his scouts have provided. Even the B & C teamers seem an upgrade over prior years.

Concerned Sonic Sam (love that nickname btw) Montgomery got cut but that's our deepest area. Hope he gets one of the final 2 yard-dog/taxi spots - unless his contract is fatter than Ekakities. If it is he'll prolly find work somewhere, no doubt.

QB deserves a comment all on its own. But I'm back on my training wheels after serving the appropriate sentence in the penalty box.  
There he is! Got yourself a temporary ban did you?! Don't worry, it is possible to survive a ban.  ;)

joe

Good to hear from you Lyle. Only an objectionable conduct penalty? Water off a ducks back for a warrior like you. Was thinking you may have been trampled at the white out street party trying to rally the troops from the 3 - 1 deficit. 

Mighty Matt Nichols down with an undisclosed lower body injury is the latest glitch. O Shea likes what he sees though so not to worry. I thought Vernon Adams would add depth but no one else got excited. He shares the Eastern Washington alumni deal with Nichols so they may not mind working together. Cats gave up Kanneh and his big contract for an 8th rounder so it wouldn't take much for Adams I am guessing. Guy is just looking for a place to play imo although quite a few critics are saying he doesn't have it and never did. He is still young.

Tempered expectations with Nichols down. Believe we will see plenty of happy feet Thursday night if Edmonton decides to bring the house after Ross I am guessing. Would be nice to pull one out and get the points and the upper hand in the season series (3 games vs Edm) but the defence will need to hold against Reilly. Edm has issues on their O line imo so we can hope.

Wondering if Evan Gill coming available does anything for Walters. Big dude, home town boy, listed as OL / DL. Not from Guelph but we can't have everything.

Lowered my forecast to 8 and 10 and am feeling the hate but don't see it any better than that. Crazy things happen though so who knows. If the Bombers start 0 and 2 the fat lady will need to start getting her outfit ready. Again, all imo.  

Lyle B. Style

Uncle Joe - you carried the warrior tradition proudly in my absence. Great job - especially fending off the crossover insects who despise real discussion and just toss flame-bombs all over the field.

You musta gone to Nasty Nate University - cuz the first rule of flame-bomb is don't engage the flame-bomber. Period!

As for the QB problem - I can easily see the bombers staggering out of the gate at 1-5, 2-4 at best.

Also see part of the 4 to 6 week halo on Nichols as part P.R., part reality programming Matt might be ready to rehab in 4 or 5 weeks - but he'd be a fool not to wear a knee gizmo/harness which will slow him down even more.

Can't see 3 Men & a Truck (Ross, Streveler, Brian) doing more than trying to avoid pics but taking sacks and fumbles in the process. Plop has his work cut out for him.

Like you I love the overall personnel upgrade in the organization. . . at almost every position, too. Nice to see! Of course, still the little wee problemo w/ QB but none of the rah-rah fans really care, do they?

Should be able to overwhelm Drew Willy (if he's not out by Week 3) and the Als, same with Hamilton but Johnny Manziel might be a bit of a problem if he's all jacked up and mentally ready to rumble.

The E-KaKa experiment finally ends. Glad to see bomber troika biting the bullet and cutting a guy who probably couldn't win a bulrush over Stephen Hawking. Get him into a post-grad program - football just ain't in the cards Faithy! Keeping him around would just set off mini firestorms in the fan pallet. Don't think anyone will pick him up. Should also have fired the bird dog who put the whisper in Walter's ear that this guy was a great find - obviously sight unseen by bomberland.

Minor concern when Nichols returns that he'll be somewhat out of shape with limited timing - and if the team is 1-5 or 2-4 they'll be fierce pressure to win with limited allowance for losses. Plop has tons of weapons, hopefully The 3 Men & a truck can find their way to no worse than 2-4, possibly a crack at 3-3. But 3-3 was the record I was going to bestow if Nichols was healthy!

Pat Neufeld in for Bubbles Bond could signal pain. Mucho pain. Could also reduce running space for Harris & other running men. If Hardick is out too long that's another hole - so perhaps Bond might be on speed dial.

One prediction - bomber troika might be stoic and proud (forced reaction) to play the 3 guys w/ toy trucks but if they go 0 fer in first 3 games - they'll be on the blower to bring in an experienced dude. Bet on it! (just not the mortage money)

DAN38

Same old, same old.... If you and your sidekick Pancho Joe really think the Bombers are so rotten, why not take your Quixotic sojourn to another team. There must be a team with more windmills than Winnipeg. ...

This stuff is very tiring, makes me wonder why you are not tired of it. Did something tragic happen in your childhood ?.. How many posters will leave because of your return this time ?

Keep whipping that dead horse named Faith. Probably get a few years on that 'toadaso.' Whew...

papazoola

…..I'm going to start out with something positive...we've got enough negative and it ain't good to kick the team around when it's down...(Nichols mia)....I hope the fans don't dump on any of the starters that are green IF they don't look that 'scintilating' out of the gate...Especially the qbs....we're in a tough spot like any other team losing their no 1 would be...support them..rather than tearing them down

...Anyway looking at who we start (likely Ross) he'll need to be patient and take what the opposition gives him ….don't force the ball that will lead to all kinds of trouble...He has to protect the rock as well....DON'T COUGH IT UP.....I just know our D is going to give the opposition all kinds of trouble...We cut some pretty good players who couldn't supplant the guys we have....very good sign and I'm looking for a shutdown D with Bighill holding the hammer...A couple of nice recruits on the O as well ...I HOPE we can work this Petermann kid into the starting lineup...this kid is a baller....Augustine as well

..Looking at the game Thurs.....IF we can pressure Riley all game and get him off his game we should have a chance....AND if we have a respectable showing against what I think is the best team in the league....bodes well for our start

Lyle B. Style

Good positivity Papa - so I'll try and keep this on the ups.

Given having a hobo like Ross starting - not that he's had so few reps in the league but the basic knock on him is mediocre reads and progressions. That's what Nichols does best - limited picks, solid ball protection although Nichols quite capable of attending extensive 2 & Out festivals.

So more pressure on the defense and a hoped for spectacular debut for Biggy Blue (Bighill).

Obviously winning the game would be outstanding but I only see a 5% chance in that outcome.

Wins - in losing:

1. Holding Reilly/Esks to under 30 pts.
2. Scoring more than 20 pts w/ green quarter-backing
3. Winning the special teams battle
4. Standoff in takeaways

No E-KAKA to kick around (not that he did anything bad like Hurl, KAKA was barely on the field) and I'll give get outta jail passes to Ross & Streveler so that means my guy remains near $200k mediocre punter and lowest FG % in league Medlock

Perennial concerns = Paddy Neufeld, Dressler getting nicked, Demski not quite 100% and Lord Richie Hall's defense. Other than that - ticketty boo!!!

joe

Same old, same old.... If you and your sidekick Pancho Joe really think the Bombers are so rotten, why not take your Quixotic sojourn to another team. There must be a team with more windmills than Winnipeg. ...

This stuff is very tiring, makes me wonder why you are not tired of it. Did something tragic happen in your childhood ?.. How many posters will leave because of your return this time ?

Keep whipping that dead horse named Faith. Probably get a few years on that 'toadaso.' Whew...
Same old, same old is right.

Reminds me of the definition of insanity to repeat behaviour and expect different results. Or maybe that is the stupidity one.

Give a guy a break for stating the obvious. And I am also very tired of the same crap over and over.

Consensus opinion on the forums across the league was the best possible fill in for Nichols would be Kevin Glenn if he was available. Sunderland says he is not and no issue with that. Oddly enough he finished the 2016 season as a Blue Bomber only they just brought him in for insurance and kept insisting Dom Davis was legit and the #2 guy. Might have given him one series late in the season and if I remember went 3 for 4 and the incompletion was an end zone pass that bounced off Rory Kohlert's chest. Wasn't a guy to go forward with but he took Sask to 10 wins including a Bomber miracle win off Dresslers uncovered 87 yard td. One of 3 Dressler td's on the year I believe but he is a guy we can depend on. Must be the 6 game list they are talking about.

Mighty Matt Nichols the $420,000 man being replaced by some guy playing on an entry level deal is real genius. Nichols is a two steps back and a 3 yard pass to Harris quarterback. Harris does the work to get the yardage and the Bombers would really be done without AH working his butt off. League leading completions but only 4400 yds? What up with that? Nichols was worse after he dinged his finger and dumped the ball even quicker than before. Then we put it on Clarence Denmark who can't get open. Problem with Denmark was there are no yards after when it is a td even if it is 10 yds deep in the end zone. 15 tds in the season and a half will be tough to replace. Hopefully Demski is the guy.

Lyle makes a good point about Nichols coming back. Everyone is hoping for bigger, stronger, faster and full of confidence. We will see how that goes. Can't wait for mumbles next press conference when he tells us everything is all good. Thinking Matt Nichols is the quarterback of the future at this point is very optimistic. Reality is he only needs one more good contract and he is set

You have a choice as well rather than to post on this board. Everyone on the team site has the Bombers winning the cup so maybe that would be a good place to hang out. Nice when the mods jump in and take threads off to other subjects or just end them. Keep trotting out that damn Joe Mack and now how Durant really screwed us over

As for Thursday, Alex Bazzie will be happy to see his old buddy Ross again I am thinking. Bombers will be hard pressed to pick up 200 yds offence. Maybe that will be enough. Will have to check the betting line.

Play the games. We will see. 

Users Online

60 Guests, 0 Users (10 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (AdSense), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 121. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)