DAN38

I don' see how you blame management for this.They had one of the best in the league signed and a veteran to back him up this spring.It is what every team wants.DD screwed them over and you can' help an injury.I don't get the management angle.I would have ranked us slightly behind Toronto and Edmonton.Ahead of Sask,BC,Ottawa,and equal to Hamilton and Calgary in QB stable.There is hardly a team out there who isn't in trouble when the starter goes down and their backup quits.
Very respectfully. You see it your way and I see it mine.

Now you have a good excuse for 2018. We'll see what next year brings.
 I can only see two teams that would be OK if their starter went down. One is Edm and the other Ham. and Ham didn't really plan that Manziel would sign with them so we have to blame every team for not being prepared, except Edm.
 Don't worry, I will jump down management's throat anytime I see a stupid move but I can't fault them for DDs scum move or an unforeseen injury.

Walters and company have addressed every weak spot and more. I am still looking forward to this year, more so than I have for a while. Sometimes these little injuries are a boon. One of the backups may shine. At worst we start the year behind but our guys get game reps and experience.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

aulcee

I don' see how you blame management for this.They had one of the best in the league signed and a veteran to back him up this spring.It is what every team wants.DD screwed them over and you can' help an injury.I don't get the management angle.I would have ranked us slightly behind Toronto and Edmonton.Ahead of Sask,BC,Ottawa,and equal to Hamilton and Calgary in QB stable.There is hardly a team out there who isn't in trouble when the starter goes down and their backup quits.

Seriously,you are writing off the year or are you joking?

papazoola

....But we both see it slipping away.../great line from an Eagles song/

....4-6 weeks ....whew...we slipped one there

....Now if Streveler or another young gun can hold us in there...we should be alright,,,Defence will have to play lights out for the 'O' though...

....Apparently we got a call from Durant....he would like to help us out............................excuse me while I upchuck

...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

aulcee

I don't want that weasel anywhere near this team.Although it would be great to see how he would be greeted by our home crowd.

DAN38

Can't we say we are interested, let him come here on his dime and then tell him.. too bad. Take a flying .....

joe

Seriously,you are writing off the year or are you joking?
Zero expectations. Play the games and see what happens. I will be watching.

I thought the Bombers could go 5 and 3 against the east division before the Nichols injury. Splitting in the west gave them another 5 wins. Thinking now starting with who ever they decide on and barring a catastrophe will probably cost them 2 games somewhere leaving them at 8 and 10. Not sure there is playoff money to divy up with that record. Won't even bother with the many 3rd place teams have won the cup song.

Also taking O'Shea's comments somewhat cautiously given his penchant for secrecy regarding his locker room. Another it will be what it will be and Nichols will be back when he is ready.

The important thing for me is to position yourself in the future so the situation does not reoccur. Would have to think the injury will influence discussion related to the position down the road. Do they reup at the same price or maybe go after another free agent like Bridge?

Not much to clink glasses about tonight. 

DAN38

The important thing for me is to position yourself in the future so the situation does not reoccur. Would have to think the injury will influence discussion related to the position down the road. Do they reup at the same price or maybe go after another free agent like Bridge?

Not much to clink glasses about tonight.
   Every single team would like to have an insurance policy like you are talking about. Even then, how do you keep two starters happy ?

joe

Every single team would like to have an insurance policy like you are talking about. Even then, how do you keep two starters happy ?
Step 1 may be recognizing the issue and allocating reasonable funds to the position.

Two starters is almost a fantasy but skimping on number two to have the most expensive kicker in the league could bite.

Too much money to Nichols to leave anything for #2 imo. Bombers had their chances and chose to go in another direction. Worked last year but not looking too good right now.

joe

Thinking more about it why would the Bombers not be interested in Vernon Adams if he is on the market. Maybe they bite on Simonize seeing Chapman is m.i.a. Open the door for Peterman to step up. Or Peterman.

Doesn't mean he needs to be number 1 but he would surely add to the depth situation ahead of Ross.

Seen this before with the Bombers turning their nose up at different opportunities insisting they are good with what they have. A bit arrogant imo which is one of the things I do not like about O Shea. 

wolverine29

I can only see two teams that would be OK if their starter went down. One is Edm and the other Ham. and Ham didn't really plan that Manziel would sign with them so we have to blame every team for not being prepared, except Edm.
 Don't worry, I will jump down management's throat anytime I see a stupid move but I can't fault them for DDs scum move or an unforeseen injury.

Walters and company have addressed every weak spot and more. I am still looking forward to this year, more so than I have for a while. Sometimes these little injuries are a boon. One of the backups may shine. At worst we start the year behind but our guys get game reps and experience.
Riders are in good shape with Collaros and Bridge.  Would also think the Argos should be OK with Franklin or even Bethel-Thompson if Ray goes down.  

The Bombers fully expected Durant to be the backup.  No team goes 3 deep in veteran QBs so to criticize management for not having the forsight to do it is nonsense.  Hopefully it's only 4-6 weeks like they are saying and no surprises.  If it stays that way and we struggle out of the gate, then we're still OK, it's a long season and in the CFL it's more about how you finish the season than the start.  Last year the Riders started 2-4 and finished 10-8 for example.  You just can't start 0-8 like the Tabbies did last year and expect to get in.  

DAN38

Riders are in good shape with Collaros and Bridge.  Would also think the Argos should be OK with Franklin or even Bethel-Thompson if Ray goes down.  

The Bombers fully expected Durant to be the backup.  No team goes 3 deep in veteran QBs so to criticize management for not having the forsight to do it is nonsense.  Hopefully it's only 4-6 weeks like they are saying and no surprises.  If it stays that way and we struggle out of the gate, then we're still OK, it's a long season and in the CFL it's more about how you finish the season than the start.  Last year the Riders started 2-4 and finished 10-8 for example.  You just can't start 0-8 like the Tabbies did last year and expect to get in.  
  Good to hear from you again, Wolverine !

papazoola

.....I say we roll the dice with what we have on the roster and wait for Matt to recover...No panic moves.....I'll be watching very closely tonight to see what our back-ups can accomplish...I know our D is very deep and could carry this club even with a green qb....Wouldn't be sustainable for any length of time but maybe enough to keep us in the hunt...Have we got another Jim Van Pelt on our roster..(for those who don't remember Van Pelt...he came into the league as an unheralded  rookie....Was lights out behind centre...had a great natural ability, rifle for an arm and knocked Kenny Ploen out of a job...Grant said (Grey Cup team by the way) that he couldn't see benching the kid because he had it all and he became our starter....I sure hope history repeats itself and we have a gem in Streveler....Ya just never know  in this crazy game.... here's hoping

DAN38

.....I say we roll the dice with what we have on the roster and wait for Matt to recover...No panic moves.....I'll be watching very closely tonight to see what our back-ups can accomplish...I know our D is very deep and could carry this club even with a green qb....Wouldn't be sustainable for any length of time but maybe enough to keep us in the hunt...Have we got another Jim Van Pelt on our roster..(for those who don't remember Van Pelt...he came into the league as an unheralded  rookie....Was lights out behind centre...had a great natural ability, rifle for an arm and knocked Kenny Ploen out of a job...Grant said (Grey Cup team by the way) that he couldn't see benching the kid because he had it all and he became our starter....I sure hope history repeats itself and we have a gem in Streveler....Ya just never know  in this crazy game.... here's hoping
 Can't disagree at all.

wolverine29

Riders are in good shape with Collaros and Bridge.  Would also think the Argos should be OK with Franklin or even Bethel-Thompson if Ray goes down.  

The Bombers fully expected Durant to be the backup.  No team goes 3 deep in veteran QBs so to criticize management for not having the forsight to do it is nonsense.  Hopefully it's only 4-6 weeks like they are saying and no surprises.  If it stays that way and we struggle out of the gate, then we're still OK, it's a long season and in the CFL it's more about how you finish the season than the start.  Last year the Riders started 2-4 and finished 10-8 for example.  You just can't start 0-8 like the Tabbies did last year and expect to get in.  
 Good to hear from you again, Wolverine !
Thanks Dan.  Had to take a break from all the negativity and name calling.  Looking forward to another BnG season.

papazoola

......I echo Dan's sentiments.....good to see ya back Wolverine

Users Online

59 Guests, 0 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (AdSense), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 121. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)