Lyle B. Style

If you take Walters at his word, and thats your call, The Big Blew must now have approx. 190k of breathing room.
Surely that's enough to procure a MLB who can tackle.

AND,

I've got a dollar to wager that Montreal sthups Henoc before the third year is done and paid for....
Truth.  Great statement there.
Bomber troika obviously use the Trump model in everyday affairs. Lying and deception have replaced honesty and transparence in this organization - but they still cling to the "Loyalty Model" because it sounds good and easily fools many of the lemming types who are like Trump supporters - they like being told what they want to hear vs. THE TRUTH.

When troika started realizing Samuel Hurl couldn't tackle they quickly pivoted into telling us what a great agent he was in the locker room - how he absorbed blockers during running plays (an easy way to tell folks he was too easily pushed around against his will) and was positionally solid (read: excellent ball-spotter, always near the play but never part of it)

Tons of folks (the majority actually) bought this trash. The dangerous part is the troika learned if people but the verbal vomit O'Shea espoused about Hurl - THEY'LL BUY ANYTHING!
Question about Hurl for you LBB, and of course anyone else...I believe he rotated out at some points in the season...what % of the D plays would one roughly say he was in for over the course of the season?  You look at 65 tackles for a middle LB and gotta cringe at first glance.  When Loffler is your leading tackler playing behind him...yikes.  It is weird, because he is solid on STs so you would think he would react faster to plays.

Maybe a different coach in his ear will help...who knows...but I hope the Riders are looking at contingencies.  I already think Grondin is past him and Judge actually looks like he might be a real player as well.
I don't recall if Hurl was called back from special teams duties (he's a slightly above average special-teamer, nothing great due to physical weakness)
If he had special teams duty then I'd say he was on-field for 70 to 75% of defensive reps; if NOT then perhaps 80 to 85%, maybe a bit more.

In any event Bombers were playing with fire - putting their physically weakest player in the most demanding physical position. NOT SUCH A GREAT IDEA AS BOMBER DEFENSIVE STATS EASILY ILLUSTRATE!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Wumper

Having had Walters make it crystal clear that he had 180+/- for Henoc, Bombers fans better be more than pissed when those funds don't show up spent on this year's team. If the status quo goes to TC, WAD's shorting Kyle's ability to get NOS (that's Mike NO'Shea) what he clearly needs.
Bomber's transparency to we, The Owners?? As I'm happy to re-state, when WAD blows the main valve we'll be told its upper body and he's day to day....
Illegitimi non carborundum

Lyle B. Style

Having had Walters make it crystal clear that he had 180+/- for Henoc, Bombers fans better be more than pissed when those funds don't show up spent on this year's team. If the status quo goes to TC, WAD's shorting Kyle's ability to get NOS (that's Mike NO'Shea) what he clearly needs.
Bomber's transparency to we, The Owners?? As I'm happy to re-state, when WAD blows the main valve we'll be told its upper body and he's day to day....
Obvious Secret of Success for Troika Boys.

Keep yapping about the incredible fans of Winnipeg. Their loyalty. Their respect. Their faith!

Lemmings really love being loved! Trade secret. I've got more! lol

depopulationINC

Well, just because he could make it work it doesn't mean he had it sitting around to use...unless it was for the right player...like Henoc.  It could have meant displacing someone as a part of it.  You also have to remember that GMs don't typically roster to the cap...on a 5.2mil cap they are likely aiming for maybe 4.9mil, perhaps less. That buffer goes towards single game injuries and suddenly available NFL cuts.  That could be a player on their neg list or some surprise availability or maybe someone like Gray becomes available.  There are ways around it by 6 gaming and shuffling like that...but teams do leave a buffer.  Other things are weighing in potential bonuses. You could have a lot of performance incentives that get achieved.  He may have been willing to push into that buffer that will otherwise largely sit and be consumed over the season.  If you have left over buffer that is when you start using it to re-sign players and give them signing bonuses hitting 2018 SMS....thus freeing up money in 2019.

It is a fine line.

papazoola

....I look at this way, you never spend near the cap and keep a stipend ready for any acquisition...like an Nfl cut or a CFL target (draft and otherwise)...Like depop says...I'm pretty sure Walters has reserve for Grey if he shakes loose...other than that is anyone's guess.. My thoughts are that Bomber management are willing to go with Knox and cross their fingers...IF he can't get it done in the middle our scouting better have someone else in the pipe...Rigmaiden could be tested and that position is going to be one watched ever so closely by fans and the media...If this costs the team...like it did by employing Hurl in that spot, then critical eyes will be focused on management ...Walters on down...They've known for a very long time we were inadequate in the middle...They better have an answer if everything starts going south

...We have signed a large number of defensive backs and receivers this off season...If I'm a vet. I'd be getting a little nervous and be prepared to bring my A game plus...I've got a feeling a few vets. could be in trouble
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

depopulationINC

....I look at this way, you never spend near the cap and keep a stipend ready for any acquisition...like an Nfl cut or a CFL target (draft and otherwise)...Like depop says...I'm pretty sure Walters has reserve for Grey if he shakes loose...other than that is anyone's guess.. My thoughts are that Bomber management are willing to go with Knox and cross their fingers...IF he can't get it done in the middle our scouting better have someone else in the pipe...Rigmaiden could be tested and that position is going to be one watched ever so closely by fans and the media...If this costs the team...like it did by employing Hurl in that spot, then critical eyes will be focused on management ...Walters on down...They've known for a very long time we were inadequate in the middle...They better have an answer if everything starts going south

...We have signed a large number of defensive backs and receivers this off season...If I'm a vet. I'd be getting a little nervous and be prepared to bring my A game plus...I've got a feeling a few vets. could be in trouble
This is where the Bombers, IMO, need to elevate.  In the pipelines is not good enough.  That player needs to be there already.  If you are crossing your fingers (essentially) on someone, you better have a plan B already...that may or may not work, but it is something you have worked on already. It is understandable not having that ready in year one, but a few in...you better.  This is why the Stamps have been so successful for so long.  It is also largely what Hamilton has built...yeah, I know, it kinda fell apart with the coaching mess last year, but it was suddenly fine once that was fixed.  I would say Edmonton had that but I am not sure if they do now or not, though I believe Brock can pull it off...It hurt losing a pretty active assistant GM (Jones) and then Hervey, so it is not easy to say exactly where they are at.  I believe the Riders are there as well

I will lay it out a bit, and yeah, I am going to use the Riders because it is easiest for me...though I could lay it out for any of the teams I mentioned above as well.

LT was an issue in 2016.  Fulton was a beast and warrior...it was obvious he was on a steep slide and he couldn't hold up.  The writing was on the wall for the season already so they for something for him while they could.  Then they picked up Dennis...the most outstanding lineman in 2016.  I think that most people saw this as a massive win...but man did he struggle for what ever reasons.  I know he got banged up in camp and don't think he ever truly got over that, and I think he had the wrong OL coach for himself (they hired a OL coach with no CFL experience...something I was vocally not liking)...but I mean even when they slid him over to RG he struggled and LaBatte was much much better.  Hope he bounces back in the right system, but man he was a flop last year.  Anyways...Campbell came in and was a stud....but got the PED thing.  They want him back, but Campbell wants to ignore that PED issue in contract value, which is why he is signed nowhere.  They knew mid-season that Dennis was likely gone, so they rotated new guys in and out and stuck with 2...one that they are pretty high on actually.  This allows them to let Dennis go and take a risk on Bond.  They knew they needed to make a move there and came in prepared.  The Bombers had to know they were likely making a change at MLB, but I don't recall anyone being brought in and at least put on the PR to really work out.  They were not entirely absent from this...I saw them do it at WR and really liked some of the guys they brought in, but MLB was a glaring concern...frustrating.

But wait...the Riders adopted that MLB concern!  Indeed...difference being the Riders use a lot of 3-4 so it is way easier to compensate....or at least that is the main theory.  Secondary theory...it won't be Hurl.  I already think Grondin is potentially better than Hurl but I really think the plan is Judge...maybe not immediately...maybe Hurl starts, then Judge gets rotations...then hopefully assumes the role.  If he can't, then Hurl is at least "serviceable" (though obviously not the hope).

Point being...Hurl is gone, they knew he was going to be, and there was no obvious replacement brought into the system...no matter passport.  I think this is where the Bombers are close, but just not quite there...knowing they want to likely improve something in the off-season and waiting until camp to do it.  No reason to wait.  If they improved on that, I think the team would be next level with the likes of Calgary.

Agreed on the vet comment...IMO if you aren't scaring your vets you failed before the season even started.  That said, they have 22 DB on the roster lol.  Axe 4 of those and bring in MLBs.  9 OL with no new import competition yet?  Those 3 vets must be feeling pretty safe in their off-season thus far...maybe a body or 2 will come out of mini-camp, but OL/DL is usually not a hotbead since it is not full contact.  3 import for 2 positions, 6 nationals for 3 plus a 6th olMan for game day?  You need more competition than that.  Mini-camp will weed out a lot of DB and WR...so hopefully there will be about 8-10 of those gone and you will see OL, LB and maybe some DL names added to the roster moving into camp.

Lyle B. Style

Other than some coaching brainfarts at the worst possible times the main weaknesses in the Winnipeg football club are as follows:

1. Failure to recognize and admit weakness in either coaches or players.

2. Exceptional failure in building adequate scouting, signing and renewal networks in both USA and Canada. Some would call it dumb - others (like me) call it scrimping

3. A non-football CEO/President. Sure, Miller was an ex fireplug special teams assassin but his football knowledge is very limited, and actually his business knowledge is rather helter-skelter. He's partners in a few franchise juice bars, a couple athletic therapy outfits and a manpower outfit that finds jobs for hobos loading beer to office & middle management.

In review - when the organization has a blind spot (see #1 above) that leads to so many other problems.

A properly run football organization should have had 5 to 10 players with MLB abilities in its pipeline the last few years - and at least 2, perhaps 3 should have already filtered down into the organization. Instead we have to put a glorified ball-spotter (Hurl) into the breach and not only watch in horror as he regularly breaks down - but also have to put up with coaches and management adhering to their blindspot - that nothing is done to repair or improve the pipeline!

depopulationINC

Other than some coaching brainfarts at the worst possible times the main weaknesses in the Winnipeg football club are as follows:

2. Exceptional failure in building adequate scouting, signing and renewal networks in both USA and Canada. Some would call it dumb - others (like me) call it scrimping

3. A non-football CEO/President. Sure, Miller was an ex fireplug special teams assassin but his football knowledge is very limited, and actually his business knowledge is rather helter-skelter. He's partners in a few franchise juice bars, a couple athletic therapy outfits and a manpower outfit that finds jobs for hobos loading beer to office & middle management.

In review - when the organization has a blind spot (see #1 above) that leads to so many other problems.

A properly run football organization should have had 5 to 10 players with MLB abilities in its pipeline the last few years - and at least 2, perhaps 3 should have already filtered down into the organization. Instead we have to put a glorified ball-spotter (Hurl) into the breach and not only watch in horror as he regularly breaks down - but also have to put up with coaches and management adhering to their blindspot - that nothing is done to repair or improve the pipeline!
1 - I don't expect them to admit anything...definitely not publicly.  That would be horrible.  I would say they do recognize some of it...hence Hurl being gone.  Waiting until after the season to start auditions...that makes no sense.  They don't need to get in the game, but they can audition in practice.

2 - 100% agreed.  It is the one thing I know for sure I like with Jones (I question a lot, not that).

3 - Why does the CEO need a huge knowledge base?  His job is putting the right people in place and letting them do it.

Lyle B. Style

1 - I don't expect them to admit anything...definitely not publicly.  That would be horrible.  I would say they do recognize some of it...hence Hurl being gone.  Waiting until after the season to start auditions...that makes no sense.  They don't need to get in the game, but they can audition in practice.

2 - 100% agreed.  It is the one thing I know for sure I like with Jones (I question a lot, not that).

3 - Why does the CEO need a huge knowledge base?  His job is putting the right people in place and letting them do it.
Re: #1 - agreed, NOT PUBLICALLY - but behind the bunker there has to be confession of weaknesses - or the organization continues to linger. Continuity (Miller, O'Shea, Walters) has enabled the team to be competitive - but it still hasn't won a playoff game - going into the 5th year of the re-build

#3 - I wouldn't say a CEO needs a huge knowledge base. But if his job is putting the right people in in place and activating them - he (she) needs a reasonably good knowledge base. Otherwise - duds infest the organization at key spots (Hall running the defense, McManus running scouting, Hurl imbedded at MLB) and re-calls are akin to long walks in the desert with no water.

Users Online

59 Guests, 1 User (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Ticatsfan25, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)