Poll

Who is more of a Winnipeg Blue Bomber?

Mike O'Shea
Doug Brown

joe

The name comes up so quickly in any conversation it is surprising to me that the Bombers do not have him involved with the team in some way. Seems he is only treated as the villainous press and no mention of his name shall be uttered at any time kind of thing.

Even as a guest coach in camp. No question he knows the game as well as O'Shea and Bob Younger and is more of a Bomber today then either of these other guys will ever be.

Seems odd to me to not take advantage of the opportunity. Am I missing something?

Lyle B. Style

The name comes up so quickly in any conversation it is surprising to me that the Bombers do not have him involved with the team in some way. Seems he is only treated as the villainous press and no mention of his name shall be uttered at any time kind of thing.

Even as a guest coach in camp. No question he knows the game as well as O'Shea and Bob Younger and is more of a Bomber today then either of these other guys will ever be.

Seems odd to me to not take advantage of the opportunity. Am I missing something?
Big Bubba is seen as a direct threat to Wadzilla. Plain and simple!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

joe

Big Bubba is seen as a direct threat to Wadzilla. Plain and simple!
Sad to have it be so petty. Seems like an over compensation for being short and stout. So much for putting the good of the organization first. 

When the Bombers have someone in charge who starts to put the team first is when the Bombers will return to being a winning organization and a successful franchise imo. Presently they have a me first guy doing whatever he wants answering to no one clamoring for revenues to hide the bungling ineptness of his management team.

As far as the board goes I would be good with a direct swap with the MTC board of directors and don't think the Bombers lose anything. Might admit knowing nothing and actually ask questions.

Thinking of it now it might be a good idea to put Wad in charge of the floundering MTC and to restore the pride over there. Kind of the start to a Paul Robson parade of his own to get him away from the football team. 

My position is to give them the rope and stand by.  

Lyle B. Style

Both Brown & Miller are selfish - but in different ways.

Brown was a physical behemoth who's NFL dream was cut 3 or 4 games short of a full-bodied NFL pension - Brown was basically moving everyone against their will in college and he was seen as a potential NFL superstar - before his ego got the best of him - and he hit the wall in his final season as a Washington Redskin - he found he was unable to break down and move interior o-linemen against their will - in fact history tells us that the bigger and strongest o-linemen basically were able to bring Brown to tears on occasion and get him to question his own abilities.

Pushed out of the NFL Brown was a floundering giant - Calgary had his draft rights but the bombers had absolutely bupkiss for d-linemen and traded a draft pick (or 2) to obtain Brown.

Having signed in Winnipeg Bubba became a quick fan favorite - pushing smaller and weaker Canadian o-linemen against their will. When opposing coaches tagged Brown a threat - they put in bigger guys to stop the bleeding. Brown, a relentless customer gave everyone grief - but he was so consumed by winning physical combats vs. his opponent he forgot his ultimate responsibilities - ie. rushing/scaring the QB, sacking the QB

He ended up in what I used to call football sumo matches - where he usually won the battle - BUT LOST THE WAR - and Winnipeg's coaching staff of no-mind and blown-out mind couldn't get him to change his ways.

Gifted with superior intelligence and a propensity to use 3 or 4 syllable words when one or two would do he became a journalist with a regular weekly column (which continues to this day) plus he did his own 2 hour radio show on bomber station CJOB. Also took over color commentator duties from the old and tired Mitch Zalnasky when Brown could no longer take the rigours of everyday combat. (his sack and penetration numbers declined rapidly his last couple years as Brown decided to lose weight and play skinny (6'8", 275 vs. his threatening stat of 6'8" and 303).

Miller was nothing more than a human fire hydrant when he played a few years w/ his local team (cuz no one else would pay him to play). Known for his Charlie Hussle attitude and willingness to take bumps on the kickoff wedge plays he became a fan favourite due to his diminutive pudgy status (5'7 1/2", 250 lbs). He's probably shrunk under 5'7" and tips the scale at 290 to 310.

Miller tutored as an assistant GM under Lyle Bauer (that's not a great endorsement, like training under Jeff Reinbold to be a head coach)

After exiting football - Miller launched a few successful, few unsuccessful businesses in Wpg. (a personnel company, a juice bar company) and following the CFL from afar. When the Bombers collapsed expectedly under the dead weight of a board of directors who could all be labelled "human vermin" and low end drifters like immortal Joe Mack, Jimbo Bell appointed a frosty-spiked haircut cum radio time salesmen named Garth Butchko the thing toppled into the sewer.

The Board of Vermin, caught with their legs between their tails, decided to cut the pious and unsettled Butchko, replacing him with Wad Miller - Miller quickly found Joe Mack hiding under a desk fort and relieved him of his duties - the only oversight Miller had was Jim Bell - who he released for no apparent reason a short time later.

The next guy who seemed perched for a head coaching position was O'Shea and Miller quickly signed him up even though it was obvious he wasn't ready. Also signed a former teammate and friend in Kyle Walters as GM - another green executive who wasn't ready and had a spotty (read awful) draft record under immortal Joe Mack.

Long story (too long, I know) short - Miller decided that the same guys coming in year after year was better than a Chinese fire drill. They got lucky when Matt Nichols came available in Edmonton - otherwise the below .500 ways would have continued.

Some good, progressive work has been done - even I have to admit it. But the stadium is a gift, repayment is always optional.

Miller has focused almost entirely on selling tickets, reducing expenses and manpower, hiring shady scouts, chasing away independent food contractors who tried to make extra pocket change by working outside the stadium, hosting the Grey Cup and making ancillary money via Grey Cup, the odd rock concert and the like. It could easily be said that Wad Miller is no more a football man than the fruity-tooty named Garth Butchko - Miller has no vision whatsoever regarding football success - he's left that in Walters hands and Walters has no fear of Miller firing him cuz Miller wouldn't be able to find anyone else of quality.

Is Brown a better football mind than Miller? Probably, but not by much. Doug has never scouted, coached, trained or managed at any level of the game - junior, college, pros.

Would he be better than Miller? By default, yes. But a man asking questions and invoking accountability is a scary man. Brown would be seen by currently protected guys like Hall, O'Shea, McManus, Walters as a direct threat - and mutiny might well ensue.

So the answer to mutiny is the outright dictatorship model that Wad Miller has invoked.

Now, its getting to the point where the familiarity is wearing off and some bomber lemmings are coming to their senses. What is going on, they say? Are we being sold a bill of goods? Apparently so!

Need a Grey Cup within the next 3 or 4 years to replenish the coffers.

But short of that - just not enough good football men at the top of the organization. Not near enough.

Brown would be a good add as an assistant GM/CEO - but because Wadzilla is threatened that can't happen. Miller hasn't had to go cap in hand to the provincial govt. for funds - YET. Brown is a tad more truthful than Miller. Miller uses the Trump model of limited information, backed by extensive little white lies, major lies and mis-truths - use of extensive optimism as a marketing tool.

NOTE: Most sports executives lie to achieve their goals. Miller and the bombers need to lie more than others - just to keep the turnstiles revolving. I'm afraid Miller's genius has nothing to do with football and everything to do with keeping himself employed!

Wumper

Miller will stub his toe, he probably already has.
Illegitimi non carborundum

joe

Good summary and post Lyle. Thanks.

Agree that Doug Brown does not have the background. Green as grass is too much deja vu all over again. Sad that his talents were not better utilized and developed. Still not too late imo.

All comes down to the rudderless ship that is the board. 2 or 3 more years and we might see some action. Until then it will remain take what you get and be thankful. More blue koolaid please.

Lyle B. Style

Good summary and post Lyle. Thanks.

Agree that Doug Brown does not have the background. Green as grass is too much deja vu all over again. Sad that his talents were not better utilized and developed. Still not too late imo.

All comes down to the rudderless ship that is the board. 2 or 3 more years and we might see some action. Until then it will remain take what you get and be thankful. More blue koolaid please.
Fast Eddy Tait and Obby Khan are there to dispense from the kool-aid machine. Tait sold his soul (at the Free Press) for a guaranteed job with the bombers Reichstag and feeds out all the glory and self-congratulatory pap - avoiding critical issues like a scalded dog.
Obby Khan, according to information is the outside snitch that Miller has in place to learn what certain board members or media really think about Miller and his Reichstag operation.
According to sources Obby Khan was the only bomber designated for autograph and meet 'n greet services at last week's CFL event at the Wpg Convention centre who NEVER SHOWED UP FOR HIS ALLOTTED TIME SLOT.

joe

According to sources Obby Khan was the only bomber designated for autograph and meet 'n greet services at last week's CFL event at the Wpg Convention centre who NEVER SHOWED UP FOR HIS ALLOTTED TIME SLOT.
What up with Obby? 

Didn't he screw up with not having tea or something for the Queen a few years back. Maybe he is a doofus and locked the keys in the car or something. 

Was never that big on him as a Bomber and not surprised to hear him and Wad are tight. Priority spot for the Shwarma truck for an ear in the market. How middle eastern.

Guess if the Bombers had some news we could talk about that but until then.

I am sensing increasing tension in the troika's relationships with others lately. Moody and petulant have replaced carefree and happy. Gonna go out on a limb and say the honeymoon is nearing an end. Meat and potatoes time now boys.

Clock has started ticking imo.

Lyle B. Style

I agree with Joe on the big point re: Doug Brown.

Doug may be too meek and timid to effect a takeover of the bomber orifice. Wad has everyone by the balls right now - including the U of M and the provincial govt. regarding payback schedules. So long as Wad gets his 350 to 450 grand out of the pie - he ain't goin' nowhere.

BREAKING NEWS: He ain't goin' nowhere now. Bombers will be taking a second seat to the Winnipeg Jets. If the Jets can slither past the first round of playoffs (remember the Jets have NEVER EVER WON a playoff game) then we'll be playing white-out hockey in the peg until late April, maybe even into May. Lots of coin going into Jets tickets - re-sale market might be as high as $2000 a ticket by late 1st round or 2nd round for sure. BIG BITE OUT OF MONEY PRE-DESIGNATED FOR BOMBERS THAT WILL SHIFT TO HOCKEY

joe

BREAKING NEWS: He ain't goin' nowhere now. Bombers will be taking a second seat to the Winnipeg Jets. If the Jets can slither past the first round of playoffs (remember the Jets have NEVER EVER WON a playoff game) then we'll be playing white-out hockey in the peg until late April, maybe even into May. Lots of coin going into Jets tickets - re-sale market might be as high as $2000 a ticket by late 1st round or 2nd round for sure. BIG BIT OUT OF MONEY PRE-DESIGNATED FOR BOMBERS THAT WILL SHIFT TO HOCKEY
Yes, it is playoff hockey time. Fingers crossed for the Jets to make a good showing.

Still having trouble with the white out since they switched to home blue but that's on me and I can live with it.

Lyle B. Style

Joe - the white-out has little or nothing to do with team colors.

Jets are mostly blue, red & white.

White Out is a term of frenzy, trying to egg on the fans to go crazy, give opposing teams and media a bitter taste of Winter in Winnipeg - which is mostly WHITE = until the damn stuff melts and its mostly BROWN . . .

So the white-out is mostly the WINTER-OUT immo

papazoola

White Out is a term of frenzy, trying to egg on the fans to go crazy, give opposing teams and media a bitter taste of Winter in Winnipeg - which is mostly WHITE = until the damn stuff melts and its mostly BROWN . . .

White-out started way back when the Jets were in their NHL infancy...before the sellout by Barry Shenkarow to the Americans in Phoenix ...We made the playoffs with the likes of Hawerchuck, Babych and Steen and that's when someone dreamt up the idea of everyone coming to the game in white...hence the white-out...I'm pretty sure it was us who came up with the White-Out...but in any event it went like Lyle says...the fans were rabid for it...We might see a few more white-outs this year if the Jets can get on a roll..

As far as the snow goes Lyle...I think it takes on more of a black hue than brown but in either case it turns from pretty to putrid and the countdown begins to green

I have to say...(and I won't and don't say it often lol) I was out to lunch on the firing of Maurice behind the Jets bench...They started out so poorly that I thought he was toast by mid-season..I was wrong and they sure got their act together to produce a winning reg. season...I'd say Paul is pretty safe as far his employment goes in Winnipeg....don't know if we can say the same about Mike O...YET...............GO JETS
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Wumper

Barry "the shank" Shenkarow.
Named a liquor store strip mall on Pembina after a family member, "Carrie's Place", then named the rink after his wife, Rena.
The Winnipeg a Rena.......

Lyle B. Style

White-out started way back when the Jets were in their NHL infancy...before the sellout by Barry Shenkarow to the Americans in Phoenix ...We made the playoffs with the likes of Hawerchuck, Babych and Steen and that's when someone dreamt up the idea of everyone coming to the game in white...hence the white-out...I'm pretty sure it was us who came up with the White-Out...but in any event it went like Lyle says...the fans were rabid for it...We might see a few more white-outs this year if the Jets can get on a roll..

As far as the snow goes Lyle...I think it takes on more of a black hue than brown but in either case it turns from pretty to putrid and the countdown begins to green

I have to say...(and I won't and don't say it often lol) I was out to lunch on the firing of Maurice behind the Jets bench...They started out so poorly that I thought he was toast by mid-season..I was wrong and they sure got their act together to produce a winning reg. season...I'd say Paul is pretty safe as far his employment goes in Winnipeg....don't know if we can say the same about Mike O...YET...............GO JETS
So long as Mike O keeps on yapping about loyalty, respect, no drugs (except his lifetime supply of sniff-glue) he should be fine. O'Shea knows where his toilet-paper is buttered - - - - and shining shoes and buffing arses of the constituents is a sure way to keep on keepin' on.
That said, if the team meets disaster (a quick Nichols injury away) and comes out of the chute 1-7, 0-6 or 2-8 I suspect an emergency board meeting between Wad Miller and Ky Walters will be called - with Mike relieved of his duties! (PLOP Version 2.0 is the backup plan if they have to pull the pin on O'Shea)

joe

Joe - the white-out has little or nothing to do with team colors.

Jets are mostly blue, red & white.

All in good fun Lyle but if you are going to stick to that story you will need to explain it frequently. I'm with papa on this and do agree it all started in Winnipeg. Washington may have been the first to steal the idea.

Taking Lyle's explanation to the sensory deprivation tank and mulling it over I came up with the coldest form of winter turns things blue so how about a blue blizzard. I can see myself busy explaining that one a lot as well.

An easy one that could unite and be relevant would be a True Blue related theme. Scary to think how loud that could get.

Anyway... that's all I have so take it and run with it or flush it with the others. Hockey helmet is on.

Users Online

103 Guests, 19 Users (24 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pdson2, Balticfox, Onemoredork, Motown Texan, Hammertown Proud, Oskie18, longtimetcfan, Niagara Als, chosa84, ALLsPLS, bowl450, Lyle B. Style, Rick16, Google (AdSense) (14), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)