DAN38

Yes, Wolverine, it is much easier to right the team off than to stick thru the rough spots. You asked in an earlier thread whether this team was jinxed. I don't know but if something can go wrong, it always does to this team. We can blame whoever for the bad luck but we can't lay 27 years of it on any one person. I still think Lefevour is a diamond in the rough. He just looks like a tough QB should look. I was impressed when he played for Ham and Tor. I like his chutzpah...With Nichols not playing it would be very easy to throw our hands up and quit. We've got a perfect excuse to lose. I'm not built that way... Winning in Cal would give us incentive for the WF and time for the nics to heal. We can do it !... Imagine the confidence boost if either Lefevour or Davis pulls off what we just saw Jennings do. I still have faith.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Lyle B. Style

There is a route to winning in Calgary (which guarantees nothing but a sparsely attended home gate btw) and it goes something like this:

- Calgary has to play a large variety of its spares and guys from its hobo list
- Winnipeg's defense has to put out the best game of their tepid year, holding the Calgary backups to under 20 pts.
- Winnipeg has to hold back concussed RB Andy Harris & damaged QB Matt Nichols no matter what; hopefully Harris will be near 100% by playoff weekend - and Nichols will be on pain-killers and can run a serviceable offense...
- O'Shea has to forget about the smelling salts and turn the game over to Plop La Police and Rich Hall
- Bomber special teams have to produce at least 1 TD (Fogg), a blocked punt and maybe some other magic
- Matlock must kick near 100% of his FGs inside 45, go 4 for 4 or 5 for 5, give the team a chance to score 22 or more pts. (which might be enough if the Calgary spares don't give a damn)
- Dress vermin like Washington, Coates, Wolitarski, Denmark, at WR - between them all they should be good for 1 or 2 receptions. Not very good but all they're trying to do is draw into field goal position - Fever & Dom "Strong Arm/Dumb Brain" Davis don't have the skill or timing to hit more than 45 or 50% of their passes - and most of their stuff will be passes of -3 to 9 yds in length.

That's the Rx - only problem is if Calgary decides to play their A-team for the better part of the first half - runs up a 20 to 24 pt. lead against our woeful defense - the bombers may as well concede the 2pts, walk off the field and start getting ready for next week in Edmonton where Harris could be near 100%, Nichols will be questionable and Dressler might be available.

Other way to get Pope Levi off the field is to start firing off blitzes from all angles and hit him slightly late (not on purpose) to make Davey Deuce think seriously about pulling his #1 guy.

Well, that's the route to victory. Didn't think I could be this positive as most bomber fan/posters on local sites have totally given up the ghost and are posting nonsense like bringing back old bomber vermin like Greg Carr, Ladaris Vann, Arjey Franklin, Max Hall, etc.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

DAN38

There is a route to winning in Calgary (which guarantees nothing but a sparsely attended home gate btw) and it goes something like this:

- Calgary has to play a large variety of its spares and guys from its hobo list
- Winnipeg's defense has to put out the best game of their tepid year, holding the Calgary backups to under 20 pts.
- Winnipeg has to hold back concussed RB Andy Harris & damaged QB Matt Nichols no matter what; hopefully Harris will be near 100% by playoff weekend - and Nichols will be on pain-killers and can run a serviceable offense...
- O'Shea has to forget about the smelling salts and turn the game over to Plop La Police and Rich Hall
- Bomber special teams have to produce at least 1 TD (Fogg), a blocked punt and maybe some other magic
- Matlock must kick near 100% of his FGs inside 45, go 4 for 4 or 5 for 5, give the team a chance to score 22 or more pts. (which might be enough if the Calgary spares don't give a damn)
- Dress vermin like Washington, Coates, Wolitarski, Denmark, at WR - between them all they should be good for 1 or 2 receptions. Not very good but all they're trying to do is draw into field goal position - Fever & Dom "Strong Arm/Dumb Brain" Davis don't have the skill or timing to hit more than 45 or 50% of their passes - and most of their stuff will be passes of -3 to 9 yds in length.

That's the Rx - only problem is if Calgary decides to play their A-team for the better part of the first half - runs up a 20 to 24 pt. lead against our woeful defense - the bombers may as well concede the 2pts, walk off the field and start getting ready for next week in Edmonton where Harris could be near 100%, Nichols will be questionable and Dressler might be available.

Other way to get Pope Levi off the field is to start firing off blitzes from all angles and hit him slightly late (not on purpose) to make Davey Deuce think seriously about pulling his #1 guy.

Well, that's the route to victory. Didn't think I could be this positive as most bomber fan/posters on local sites have totally given up the ghost and are posting nonsense like bringing back old bomber vermin like Greg Carr, Ladaris Vann, Arjey Franklin, Max Hall, etc.
    And my wife thinks I'M negative. You must wear a permanent scowl, Lyle. Next to you I'm a veritable Pollyanna. I truly understand reality but I also understand the power of positive thinking. GO BOMBERS !

papazoola

.....Dan....I appreciate your loyalty and never 'say die' attitude BUT there comes a time when the odds are so stacked against you ...reality takes a firm hold...The reality is...Lefevour ...who by the way is the reason that Harris is on the shelf, throwing a stupid dump pass that should never have been thrown, is a no arm running quarterback who is great at short yardage plays...Davis looks like he's shell shocked and after being on the roster for 3 years, I expected a lot more than that shoddy performance he showed us against the leo's...With all of the other injuries to key personnel, I believe it's insurmountable...You'll say different and I appreciate that...I will watch us go through the motions but realistically ...going up against Cal. who will not want to enter their bye week on a 3 game losing streak heading for the final, will prove to be too much....I can't see us pulling it off BUT miracles do happen and we sure as hell need one...Edm at home in the semi and/ or Sask in our park in the semi, will be a huge task for us to come out on top in, considering our depleted/hurting line-up...We could have Harris and Nichols back for either of those encounters but even with an extra weeks rest and hoping they will be 100 percent (unlikely) we will be up against it...Unless Edm. and or Sask. destroy each other trying to get to play us...I don't see it...Those are my feelings and it's tough for a long standing loyal fan like me to admit, but there it is....I will be watching and pulling for the guys and hoping for a miracle..and IF they pull it off, I'll be the first to admit I was way off base and should retire from posting...I'll sure have egg on my face... AND Dan by the way,   how are you at serving up omelets............ :-\
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

DAN38

Don't ever retire from posting, Papa. We need your wisdom here.

I Think everything you've said is spot on but have you ever cornered a wild animal, a wounded wild animal ? They are fighting for their life. Very dangerous and unpredictable.

I've been a Bomber fan since the Jonas days. I can't give up now.

My wife says I make the best omelette she's ever tasted. ;D

DAN38

I've never heard of a 3rd string QB calling his own plays and that's what would have had to happen for Lefevour to be blamed for Harris getting hurt. More than likely Lapo called the play and the Lions were ready for it but if we have to blame Lefevour , so be it. Davis is the guy I am more disappointed in.

Hey guys, I'm just as frustrated, fed-up, disgusted and pissed off as anyone. What we are seeing is the trend of not playing back-ups and not developing CDNs. Sometimes it works but mostly it bites you back. Looking for a back up to come in and shine is for dreamers. Most have to play to get good. The blame is solely on the coaches across the league. Having depth doesn't mean a bunch of guys sitting on the bench waiting for their turn. Successful teams know this.

Lyle B. Style

I've never heard of a 3rd string QB calling his own plays and that's what would have had to happen for Lefevour to be blamed for Harris getting hurt. More than likely Lapo called the play and the Lions were ready for it but if we have to blame Lefevour , so be it. Davis is the guy I am more disappointed in.

Hey guys, I'm just as frustrated, fed-up, disgusted and pissed off as anyone. What we are seeing is the trend of not playing back-ups and not developing CDNs. Sometimes it works but mostly it bites you back. Looking for a back up to come in and shine is for dreamers. Most have to play to get good. The blame is solely on the coaches across the league. Having depth doesn't mean a bunch of guys sitting on the bench waiting for their turn. Successful teams know this.

While O'Shea continues to play his "Mystery Meat" game with his roster of depleted, injured and unprepared players - Cowboy Bob Irving (de facto head of player personnel and media relations) indicated this a.m. that Dapper Dan The Fever will start vs the cowboys. Weather might have something to do with it - as the temps in Calgary are proposed in the minus 10 range with strong winds and possibility of snow or rain. Donkey Davis may be more athletic and younger than Dapper but there's no way his southern mind would be able to handle such conditions and he'd probably be an icicle by half-time.
Dan could conduct a mostly rushing (himself, Flanders & Harris if he's dressed) option offense. Neither Dan or Davis have the powerful arm to throw into bad weather (heck Dan is pretty mediocre in half decent weather) so Bombers will be unable to stretch the field vs. Calgary - and we all know what that means - Harris and Flanders will have guys on them like white on rice wherever they go. Same with Dapper Dan - he'll have Singleton spying him wherever he turns.

Essentially if falls on the Winnipeg D to salvage a W. A pop-tart offense w/ either QB option isn't gonna move the ball - especially if Big Bond the Earth-Movin' Man is missing at LG. . . . . . . but a relatively turnover free line that reads as follows might be enough if the defense turns ferocious:

Dapper Dan - 10 for 19, 98 yds, zero picks

Rushing
Dapper Dan - 9 for 35, longest 8, no fumbles
Flanders - 10 for 46, longest 10, no fumbs
Harris -    5 for 29, longest 6, no fumbs
Normand - 2 for 9, longest 6, no fumbs
Davis - 1 for 2 yds, no fumbs

Receiving
Dressler - 3 for 28, longest 12
Denmark - 2 for 9, longest 9
Normand - 2 for 7, longest 4
Flanders - 2 for 5, longest 3
Harris - 1 for 16
Guido -  2 for 10, longest 6
Coates - 1 for 8
Givens - 2 for 14, longest 9

Kicking
Matlock - 39.0 punting avg. (shortest 32, longest 49)
Matlock - 4/4 FGs inside 35, 1 for 3 FGs 38 to 43, no FGAs outside 45

DAN38

That scenario sounds peachy Lyle.( i just wanted to use the word peachy beside your name Lyle ;D)

I've watched the lame ducks that Lefevour throws (Davis too) but I also remember him throwing some long bombs for Ham and Tor. Wonder if something went wrong with his arm that we don't know about. He is a bull rusher tho. Hard to bring down.

Davis looked lost and scared.

papazoola

....I know 'theFever' can play better than he showed last game....He is capable with a playbook designed around him, something that wasn't there last game...Davis....FORGET IT....how the hell we kept this guy on board this long is beyond me....I thought the kid Apodeca (I think that's how you spell it) showed better in tc....Sometimes I have a serious concern about the way we judge talent on this club....It appears loyalty to 'hangers on' overrules talent (see Hurl, Addison Richards..and more recently Roc 'Dudson' and now Davis)...That is not building a winner.

DAN38

....I know 'theFever' can play better than he showed last game....He is capable with a playbook designed around him, something that wasn't there last game...Davis....FORGET IT....how the hell we kept this guy on board this long is beyond me....I thought the kid Apodeca (I think that's how you spell it) showed better in tc....Sometimes I have a serious concern about the way we judge talent on this club....It appears loyalty to 'hangers on' overrules talent (see Hurl, Addison Richards..and more recently Roc 'Dudson' and now Davis)...That is not building a winner.
   I hear ya. I gotta ask myself how well does anyone work if you know you won't get fired regardless of your output. If you are playing FOR your job or if you know there is a chance you can get fired, I think a guy tries harder. We've seen the loyalty effect with the sloppy tackling yet we are the least penalized team so we know something is working. I'm all for firing asses out the door. We want to win the whole shebang, not the congeniality award.

Lyle B. Style

Rock Dudson - best non Nasty Nate nickname in at least 10 yrs. Welcome to my world, son!

papazoola

......Glad you liked the handle....I think you're rubbing off on me Lyle....good bloody grief.....Anyhoooo....Cal. seems to be going into self preservation mode while we go into persevering mode...Starting Buckley (cough cough) over the best qb. in the land (I know Riley will quarrel over that one) is a bit of a break for our guys...Weather conditions not great and we do have a 'mudder' in Harris (if he's a 100 percent) and to some extent Flanders ...Could we pull this one off???????If Danny boy can put up some decent numbers...just maybe I says. 

Lyle B. Style

......Glad you liked the handle....I think you're rubbing off on me Lyle....good bloody grief.....Anyhoooo....Cal. seems to be going into self preservation mode while we go into persevering mode...Starting Buckley (cough cough) over the best qb. in the land (I know Riley will quarrel over that one) is a bit of a break for our guys...Weather conditions not great and we do have a 'mudder' in Harris (if he's a 100 percent) and to some extent Flanders ...Could we pull this one off???????If Danny boy can put up some decent numbers...just maybe I says.
I think a random number genetator could do as well or better than Joe Walters. Drafting mostly vermin or NFL reserves. Last 6 years - 48 guys, only goods = Chungh, Goosen, Corney, Muamba.  Really missed boat on Boateng & Junior Luke.

Users Online

130 Guests, 9 Users (22 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MrLucky, letsgoticats, narles, rpaege, 15_championships, Taleback, Grover, CFL in QC, Google (22)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)