papazoola

Who's Washington? 
.....A receiver languishing on the PR.....''''AND a lot of fans might be asking that hopefully after watching Givens give it a go
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

DAN38

1st round picks this year.

BC- Vandervoot
       Luke

Edm.- Behar

Cal- Colling

Sask- Judge

Winn- Ekakitie
          Gray

Ham- McGough

Ott- Johnson

I've watched a few games this year and I don't think any of these guys have shown superstar status. Draft picks are crap shoots. Most players need time to develop. They aren't brought up breathing football like the mill down south.
    One guy who seems to be on course is Kwaku Boateng, a DL who was taken by Edm. 41st in the 5th round !!!! But Edm. has always been a team that let's it's Canadians develop and PLAYS THEM ! Is it a coincidence that Edm. is a pretty successful team ? I don't think so.
    Another factor that many people maybe don't realize is how well a team is doing through the year determines playing time for rookies. Mired in the basement, a losing team will take a chance and play a rookie much more than a team that is cruising along on top and it's Canadian's are playing well. Who do they take out so the rookie can fit in ?
    I'm a guy who is all for INCREASING the Canadian quota, NOT decreasing it ! If all I'm interested in seeing is a bunch of American players, then I'll watch the NFL....We also need more Canadian coaches and GMs.
   I like our game, much more than I like the American version.

Rant over. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Everyone said 2017 was a weaker draft class so to expect a superstar from that group is maybe expecting too much.  Boateng's been one of the more noticeable players for sure, though Bladek in Regina and Tunde Adeleke in Calgary have had playing time and, Adeleke especially, had some impact.  With Ekakitie, the Bombers said all along he'll need time to develop and our roster has allowed them time to insulate him and let him grow rather than throw him out there before he's ready.  He's getting more defensive snaps now with Westerman out so we'll see what he can do the rest of the way.  And let's not give Edmonton too much credit.  Part of the reason Boateng's gotten playing time is the injuries on their Dline to Sewell, Howard, and Bowers.  Up until Westerman went down, there wasn't much opportunity there for Ekakitie.

And Edmonton is probably not the best team to highlight since they're on a 6 game losing streak, including two losses to the Blue.  And that's despite having a really solid group of receivers even before Walker returned and a QB considered one of the CFL's elites.  And their National starters aren't exactly world beaters either.  They don't have an impactful Canadian as Harris on offense or defense.  Only guy among their starters I would like right now is Adam Konar.  
I can't disagree with anything you've said because it pretty well sums up my rant. My main point was in answer to Winnipeg's supposed bad drafting.
   Harris is another perfect example of why teams should draft locally. It's taken the Leafs many years to understand this, with help from Don Cherry....Harris always wanted to play in the Peg. Do everything you can to draft local boys. We lose too many who want to go home.( Labatte ! ).... Affinity is a good thing !..We should not have let Demski slip by. Another that bothers me is Coombs in Toronto. Every time I see him make a play I wonder how much he would like to play for the Bombers....If we get a whole bunch of Canadians starting, we don't have to worry about the ratio at all. To hell with it.
   I'm afraid that there are so many guys out there who never got the chance mainly based on their nationality and we need to stop the bleeding.
   The fans love that Harris is Canadian and a Winnipeger.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

DAN38

Papa, I can't help that I grew up loving the Leafs and still do. ;D ...I do have a soft spot for the Jets though.

Lyle B. Style

Papa, I can't help that I grew up loving the Leafs and still do. ;D ...I do have a soft spot for the Jets though.
You prolly have a soft spot for the Jets cuz they're a pretty soft team.

Which will be their ultimate undoing - even with a passel of great young players.

Watch tonite's game - over half the Jets penalties (and boy do they take penalties) could be stated "Two Minutes for Being out of Position" . . . . when individual guys are beaten cuz they're NOT coached properly, they instantly go for the penalty rather than trying to recover position - only problem is when facing hard-skating and fast teams - you really can't recover position!

Jets have the best PR coach in the league - but his positional coaching and teaching the art of veering guys off the play without getting charged 2 minutes is weak, at best.

As far as scoring goes - no shortage of firepower. Only problem with Jets firepower is that its indiscriminate - when you don't need the goals they come in bunches - when you need an extra goal, a tying goal, even a goal to get back into the game - there's no shortage of pad-thumpers & blacksmiths!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

DAN38

I can't disagree with your take on the Jets because I believe you are correct and I can't tell you my theory on their woes because in this new and squeaky clean forum, I would probably be banned.

I've tried a couple of times to stop posting here but then I realize how much I miss talking sports, especially with guys who know as much and way more than I do. I like the interchange of ideas. I've lost the few friends that loved sports as much as I do. We used to talk hockey and football for hours. The sports section of the newspaper was the gold at the end of the rainbow.

papazoola

.......Bloody disaster last night Dan ...not for you but as a Jets fan I'm po'd....Bombers are the big ticket in town now and that bunch running the hockey team better be given an apple and a road map....what a disgrace...Leafs had a good night though...at the Jets expense...I'm already slating Maurice as the first head coaching casualty (never did care for him and you can see why)...AND IF Cheveytakethedayoff doesn't get this thing straightened out early, he'll be the next casualty...I thought the Jets should have parted company with these two last year BUT unfortunately True North got suckered into contract renewals...Seems a tad early to see the writing on the wall becoming clear, but this hockey team is going nowhere fast...BUT I digress...This is a football forum and I'm sure glad the Bombers are not stinking up the city anymore and are headed in the right direction.. Gives one a great feeling

Lyle B. Style

.......Bloody disaster last night Dan ...not for you but as a Jets fan I'm po'd....Bombers are the big ticket in town now and that bunch running the hockey team better be given an apple and a road map....what a disgrace...Leafs had a good night though...at the Jets expense...I'm already slating Maurice as the first head coaching casualty (never did care for him and you can see why)...AND IF Cheveytakethedayoff doesn't get this thing straightened out early, he'll be the next casualty...I thought the Jets should have parted company with these two last year BUT unfortunately True North got suckered into contract renewals...Seems a tad early to see the writing on the wall becoming clear, but this hockey team is going nowhere fast...BUT I digress...This is a football forum and I'm sure glad the Bombers are not stinking up the city anymore and are headed in the right direction.. Gives one a great feeling
Its a football forum yes, but we've added an NHL comment section in the non-football related area of the site. Some good out of Manitoba commenters on the site, too!
As far as Bombers & Jets are concerned they're the equivalent of the Army & Navy college teams of NCAA lore . . . . . lots of camaraderie and symbolic patriotism but rotten at the core and colleges that most talented kids avoid like the plague.

Jets have some firepower but Fred Babcock gave everyone a textbook case of how you diminish the Jets to rubble - you put one man on Laine w/ another man backing him up and making the Jets more inferior shooters pad-thump opposing goalies.

Yes, Maurice is a magnificent P.R. coach who can tell a bunch of stories with the best of them but can't design effective and workable coaching strategies to limit the shot-pelting on his own mediocre goalers. That said, if the Jets can find a few teams that don't follow the plan on Laine they'll be able to solidify a few wins, keep themselves in the hunt for a playoff spot until they're mathematically eliminated with 4 weeks or less left in the season.

DAN38

Take a look at the Jet's roster. There's the answer. They only have 9 Canadians on the team ! Nuff said.

I usually get the racist label thrown at me after the above statement.

Wumper

Jets payroll is TEN  times the Bombers, for half as many players, yeh, they play a lot more games...

When they "just show up" and your sitting there in your too tight seat clutching your too expensive
beer, watching another game in a four game in six night home stand while they mail it in, with one guy missing because he wants to play left D not right, realizing that a ton of revenue is leaving the team so the Owner can convert your hard earned's into a real estate empire, you gotta wake up.

My Buzz/cost ratio for sport in Winnipeg is:
CIS Volleyball
CIS Basketball
CIS Hockey
then
Blue Bombers
then
Goldeyes baseball
then
Charleswood Hawks MMJHL
then
Winnipeg South Blues MJHL
then
any AA or AAA hockey game
then, if I'm gifted them,
Jets seats.

And yes, twenty of the goals they score are worth watching.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Wumper

Just answer one question, if Chungh held out, went home, because he wanted to play left guard and MOS and PLOP wanted him at right, he stayed there for a few months and the season started, would he still be a Bomber??
These spoiled rotten NHL'rs used to annoy me, now its just a good laugh.

Jagr, a 45 year old, gets a million for a year in that league? Meanwhile an injured CFL'r is fund-raising for his needed surgery? WTF.. C'mon, its over the top.

Want to break your NHL habit, chew on this, perhaps fifteen million of your hard earned's go towards Gary Bettman's salary and bonus's.

Why would you support that?

There's better entertainment available for a hundredth the cost.  Jets sell out, for now, Bombers don't, huh?

papazoola

......Have to agree with a lot of what you said Wumper...too much money and not enough play for me in the NHL...This league is nowhere near the old 6 team league I used to know..I used to have some knowledge and acquainted myself with most players back in the day....now the rosters are so big you can't possibly follow individuals...so I just follow the locals....Overpaid...for sure and poor value for it most of the time...Fans will pay it though...It's becoming a game of the elite to watch...not the average Joe...Anyway...I'm glad that most fans can still afford the CFL and I feel they get solid entertainment for their buck...I have to laugh a lot of the time at some friends of mine that pay and scramble for Jets tix to be poorly entertained...then if I ask them who won the Stanley Cup a couple of years ago, and they haven't a clue...Badly spent dough as far as I'm concerned..

DAN38

I'm a Leaf fan, yes, but I rarely watch a reg season game anymore. Too many games ! My excitement recently comes from my two sons' excitement over the look of the team. They are building a team almost the right way. We need a good French-Canadian goaltender in the mold of Patrick Roy.
Would I ever buy a ticket for the ACC ? Never... And if gifted a pair ? I would probably give them away too. It's not worth the time, money or effort.

I agree with you guys, the CFL is the best bang for the buck. It makes you wonder why only a few of us have figured that out. ;)

Wumper

Friday Night football!!
Son has my seats I'm firing up the BBQ @ 6, beef and salmon, invited a half dozen friends who are not Bomber addicts!! They watch the game, they get fed. They cheer for Cats, that's OK as long as they cheer. 
A few lawyers in the crowd, I'm thinking my charge rate is $295.00 plus disbursements.....first half hour is free, then I back end them. 

CFL football, where the players always out perform the Officials!!!

Lyle B. Style

Jets payroll is TEN  times the Bombers, for half as many players, yeh, they play a lot more games...

When they "just show up" and your sitting there in your too tight seat clutching your too expensive
beer, watching another game in a four game in six night home stand while they mail it in, with one guy missing because he wants to play left D not right, realizing that a ton of revenue is leaving the team so the Owner can convert your hard earned's into a real estate empire, you gotta wake up.

My Buzz/cost ratio for sport in Winnipeg is:
CIS Volleyball
CIS Basketball
CIS Hockey
then
Blue Bombers
then
Goldeyes baseball
then
Charleswood Hawks MMJHL
then
Winnipeg South Blues MJHL
then
any AA or AAA hockey game
then, if I'm gifted them,
Jets seats.

And yes, twenty of the goals they score are worth watching.
and of the 20 worth watching (I agree with your number War Man) 12 to 15 are probably 1-timers by The Thin Finn, 3 or 4 by Blacksmith Schiefele, a couple by French Perrault, and the odd ones from Jacoby Trouba, Buffalo Butt Byfuglien & Blade Wheeler. Key to beating Jets is putting some extra muscle on the Thinn Finn (Laine) and letting the rest of the Jets roster pad-thump you to death - or hit iron like Blacksmith Schiefele does so well

Lyle B. Style

Friday Night football!!
Son has my seats I'm firing up the BBQ @ 6, beef and salmon, invited a half dozen friends who are not Bomber addicts!! They watch the game, they get fed. They cheer for Cats, that's OK as long as they cheer.
A few lawyers in the crowd, I'm thinking my charge rate is $295.00 plus disbursements.....first half hour is free, then I back end them.

CFL football, where the players always out perform the Officials!!!
You seem to have it down pat, W.. . . . . btw I like salmon!

Might need one of your most powerful lawyer friends - finally got a refund on my mom's room at the nursing home - years after she passed. The vermin at this nursing home were very lucky I'm a balanced and straight-thinking person, otherwise their might be one less noising home on the landscape.
Trouble is they made the cheque out to "The Estate of Mrs. ___ ___" and the estate lawyer finished his work on the estate nearly a year ago. Thus, I can't cash the bloody cheques anyways! But vermin like that is not worth engaging with - they had no concern for my mother during her stay there, why would they not want to steal the money I gave them for my mom??

Users Online

99 Guests, 13 Users (15 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bowl450, The Last Word, KevinRiley2, bobo82, tony, Taleback, habcat, EastVanMark, Iconic SR, Mark, GOTC1, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)