Wumper

Almost seems like the Bombers may be thinking they have the team they need and want in place the way they are signing the vets.

It is a possibility. All we can do is to wait and see.
Agreed.
Replace Hurl @ MLB, find a quality NI WR, roll back the $$ of a draft beer, they've got it..
Illegitimi non carborundum

Lyle B. Style

Richie Hall is a real drip in terms of tight defense. O'Shea helping him? That's a ruse if I ever saw one - O'Shea isn't going to overrule someone like Hall in the Loyalty-Rewards era!

Ekakatie is a total waste of a roster spot and salary! (but he's loyalled in due to being a #1 draft pick, despite his inability)

Hurl is another waste (even higher price than Faith E.)

Waggoner was born out of the Addison Richards - burn a draft-pick program. NO longer here. Wasted a full #1 pick on that mope. Nothing in return.

Ekakite a bust, The Geoff pick another burn of a #6 spot.

Signing vets and hobos is pretty much the form chart in Winterville.

No Joe Pops or Rick Houses (or even Bob Laroses or Ken Neilsons) in the hopper. (ie. canuck WRs)

Not to mention our relatively immobile star import QB being left out on an island w/ garbage backups!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

papazoola

Walters meeting in Banff with the commish where he has updated our situation a bit....Says were not going to be able to re-sign a few of our stars as everyone wants a raise...Our situation as a rebuild has changed to contender and with that comes greater expectations from the players...We only have so much money to go around under the sms and the paltry 50 grand increase this year won't cut it...Last sentence my words and not Kyle's...Doesn't sound good for a few of our 'stars' to re-up ...I think we may be forced to ask some guys to take a haircut...Probably let a few pursue fa so they can entertain possible better offers...I don't know how other teams can keep their top players year after year UNLESS a team like Cal. or Edm. keeps them around because they are perceived perpetual annual winners...It seems we haven't reached that plateau as yet...Also if the money crunch is that bad, it doesn't bode well for us making a play for talent in free agency...Don't like what I'm hearing...Seems we could just be spinning our wheels in 18' or worse, regressing
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

Walters meeting in Banff with the commish where he has updated our situation a bit....Says were not going to be able to re-sign a few of our stars as everyone wants a raise...Our situation as a rebuild has changed to contender and with that comes greater expectations from the players...We only have so much money to go around under the sms and the paltry 50 grand increase this year won't cut it...Last sentence my words and not Kyle's...Doesn't sound good for a few of our 'stars' to re-up ...I think we may be forced to ask some guys to take a haircut...Probably let a few pursue fa so they can entertain possible better offers...I don't know how other teams can keep their top players year after year UNLESS a team like Cal. or Edm. keeps them around because they are perceived perpetual annual winners...It seems we haven't reached that plateau as yet...Also if the money crunch is that bad, it doesn't bode well for us making a play for talent in free agency...Don't like what I'm hearing...Seems we could just be spinning our wheels in 18' or worse, regressing
I guess the bandits who run the outfit and hole up at the ranch w/ Hop Sing Obby Khan doin' the cookin' are totally resigned to REGRESSION. . . . . form chart says they'll hype up all the hobos and NFL washouts as prime beef talent - until the real test comes - ie. GAMES

Right now, if Nichols is up for 15 or 16 games I see the banditos as no better than a 9-9 team.
If Nichols goes down early - how can he not? I suspect the brew banditos to be anywhere from 6-12 to 8-10

joe

Must be talking about Heath and maybe Randle as the stars that may not be resigned. Seems they have already signed most of the core group.

Thinking Ambrosie is looking at eliminating some of the team loopholes in player remuneration and thus the whining.

Winnipeg has been as fiscally irresponsible as any team in the league since Miller took over. 

Would have thought Randle would be a higher priority than Nevis. 

joe

Liking the Clarke signing. Seemed he was a bit of a favorite over on the Lionbackers forum but didn't fit once they started bouncing Purifoy around. Won't say an all star but believe he comes with attitude and will find a spot in the secondary and on special teams. 

Good luck as well to Captain Henry Morgan who is back to help with national depth. Potential late season, cold weather, special teams hero to help the Bombers go to Edmonton for the cup.

The fantasy lives on. Such is life.

wolverine29

Not as big a fan of the Clarke signing as joe.  He's a bit on the smallish side listed at 5'10" but I guess he has experience I guess.  One pick on four years with BC so not a ballhawk like Heath for instance.  I think his signing actually pretty much means Heath won't be back in Blue for next season.

There's still some room to sign a couple of the pending FAs.  I don't think they are bringing Westerman back so there's a chunk of money there.  They may have an eye on one or two of the other pending FAs that they're saving their money for as well.  

Not a big fan of the Durant move.  There was nothing in his play last year that gives me confidence he could start and win games should Nichols gets hurt.  Maybe his experience with Lapo and and Dressler will help.  I wouldn't be surprise if he's a cut coming out of training camp either.

joe

Sorry if I misled anyone. Heath was / is an all star and it sounds like he is shopping. Replacing Heath with Clarke is going in the wrong direction. Probably a $40,000 difference in salary as well. Clarke is at a point where he needs to play and wasn't getting it in BC. He will be relatively cheap.

As for the one pick it seems BC for some reason does not make many interceptions. Not sure why.

Also wondering if Keenan Lafrance might come available. Not seeing where he will get many reps with Sask and think he would pair up well with Andrew Harris. Will keep the fingers crossed on that one.

Lyle B. Style

Keenan LaFrance, Nic Demski or optimally both would be a huge upgrade to the bomber roster. Both revered ex- U of M Bisons - LaFrance was actually Demski's backup at running back - now LaFrance is a solid backup RB while Demski (who doesn't have enough power to be an everyday RB is making noise as a near-starting WR/slotback.

Demski has a bit more speed and is far more elusive than LaFrance but his hands have betrayed him on occasion since Sask'n snapped him up from the fingertips of Kyle Walters at the draft table.

LaFrance's success is far greater than Demski. An instrumental man in Ottawa's march to the Grey Cup with an inferior .500 team.

I think both are free agents. Whether Wadzilla wants two ex-Bisons playing out of their U of M field, I do not know. Demski would be an everyday slotback in Wpg., LaFrance would back up Harris and give him more time off and less nicks.

Demski probably wants $100k to $110k as a 3rd year starter.

La France is probably at that level already - would Wpg pay him that kind of coin to back up Harris? Prolly not. . . .  my guess $92 to $95k with some built-in bonuses!

joe

Demski would be a good addition.

Potential returner and fill in for when Dressler goes down.

Would be an easy guy to cheer for.

We can hope. 

papazoola

.....Demski is a no-brainer...He would be a nice addition and make JFG expendable....Don't know what to think about the Heath situation...unless another club is willing to put out the bread for him that is in a Cup contending capacity, I just don't see him moving along..Might be wrong on that one though...Big relief when Randle re-upped....that would not have been a good situation to see him take flight....So we might have a few dollars to spend in fa in a couple of weeks,give or take...I say we go after a receiver to complement Adams and Denny is cut again...Liked the little guy a lot but his play has really tailed off...Middle Linebacker has to be top on the list for next year...Fingers crossed Walters has someone in mind and Hurl is history...that's a must if this team is to progress..We shall see

joe

I will be amazed if both Hurl and JFG / KFC are not on the 2018 Bomber roster. Sadly you are being too optimistic that the team is open to change.

Hearing John White is looking for a spot to play. Only 26. Import yes but probably can be had cheaply. Worth bringing to camp and seeing if he makes it imo. Keep Flanders honest if nothing else. 

joe

Maybe they are listening or maybe this means Heath coming back is not assured but Anthony Gaitor brings experience and some good cover skills to the secondary. I am happy with this one. No idea what they are paying of course to really know how good of a deal it is or for whom but understand that side as well. He didn't have a spot in BC so would guess he came at a reasonable price.

Only 5' 10" so will be challenged going against the bigger receivers perhaps. 

Hoping he turns out to be another Shannon Garrett type long time player. Not sure he is better than Bruce Johnson but like Papazoola commented those boys are no longer here so let it go.

Curious who will be next. Receiver or linebacker would be big.

joe

Apparently the roster was not big enough for 2 DD's. No surprise.

Good luck in the future and thanks for coming out.

Makes me wonder once again about MOS declaring / anointing Davis as #2 and the comments made regarding concern at the position. Same as the trade for KG but maintaining Davis as his #2 guy. 

In the end the team should be better in the event of an injury to Matt Nichols with Durant and that is a good thing. Leaving it at that is probably best.

Lyle B. Style

Apparently the roster was not big enough for 2 DD's. No surprise.

Good luck in the future and thanks for coming out.

Makes me wonder once again about MOS declaring / anointing Davis as #2 and the comments made regarding concern at the position. Same as the trade for KG but maintaining Davis as his #2 guy.

In the end the team should be better in the event of an injury to Matt Nichols with Durant and that is a good thing. Leaving it at that is probably best.

Walters & O'Shea both had severe sinking feelings that Dominque Davis was rubbish; also that LaFever's arm was shot. Despite that they managed to cut Kevin Glenn to make room for these two mopes.

They thought Nichols was invulnerable to injury. He wasn't - nobody is. Worst bomber nightmare occurred when they were exposed - and forced to trot out D Davis who showed his profound level of incompetence.

Now its Durant's turn to play The Invisible Clipboard Holder - he'll be great so long as he's restricted to meetings, interviews with Bobbles Irving, strutting around practice, etc.

Very similar to when the bombers went to the Grey Cup without Kevin Glenn a few years back - and were forced to trot out Old Blue Eyes, the incomparable (but never-ready) Ryan Dinwiddie!

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE!

Users Online

111 Guests, 16 Users (16 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MrLucky, Hamilton2005, yougottabekidding, TravelPat1, heapbag, tabbyfan, Augustus67, Taleback, Bigshot, rshmglsky, papazoola, Count Floyd, ExPat, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 153. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)