Blue Jays and MLB 2017

Re: Blue Jays and MLB 2017

by TravelPat1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Mr. Pike wrote: Whats a school day crowd ? Do kids get off school to go to a baseball game ? :roll: if so , why ? and if so , do they get in for free ?

They have a couple of them a year. Usually one around now and another in mid June. Schools from not only the GTA - but beyond take their students to the game at discounted ticket prices that the Jays offer. So something like 20,000 + students at the games. A friend of mine who teaches in Brantford was at the game with her class today.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 am

TravelPat1 wrote:
Mr. Pike wrote: Whats a school day crowd ? Do kids get off school to go to a baseball game ? :roll: if so , why ? and if so , do they get in for free ?

They have a couple of them a year. Usually one around now and another in mid June. Schools from not only the GTA - but beyond take their students to the game at discounted ticket prices that the Jays offer. So something like 20,000 + students at the games. A friend of mine who teaches in Brantford was at the game with her class today.

Our tax dollars hard at work :roll: Yup , must be nice to get to go to a ball game on a work day . So basically these teachers all got a fully paid work day to go enjoy a ball game , something that the majority of the rest of the world has to do on their day off from work or have to use a sick day or vacation day on . Yup , rough life these teachers have.....Christmas off , week off for March break , Summers off , weekends off , more long weekends then you can shake a stick at due to P.D days curiously all being booked on a Friday or Monday and to top it all off actually getting paid for going to a ballgame instead of actually working on a regular workday. :roll:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by letsgoticats » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

bobo82 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:

Our tax dollars hard at work :roll: Yup , must be nice to get to go to a ball game on a work day . So basically these teachers all got a fully paid work day to go enjoy a ball game , something that the majority of the rest of the world has to do on their day off from work or have to use a sick day or vacation day on . Yup , rough life these teachers have.....Christmas off , week off for March break , Summers off , weekends off , more long weekends then you can shake a stick at due to P.D days curiously all being booked on a Friday or Monday and to top it all off actually getting paid for going to a ballgame instead of actually working on a regular workday. :roll:

I'm usually the first to say that teachers have it easy. But having to supervise kids on a trip like that is probably more difficult than their day-to-day job. I bet a lot of them wished they were back in the classroom.
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:49 pm

letsgoticats wrote:I'm usually the first to say that teachers have it easy. But having to supervise kids on a trip like that is probably more difficult than their day-to-day job. I bet a lot of them wished they were back in the classroom.

For every lazy teacher, there is a teacher who works his/her butt off. I know one.
All-Star

by letsgoticats » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:15 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
letsgoticats wrote:I'm usually the first to say that teachers have it easy. But having to supervise kids on a trip like that is probably more difficult than their day-to-day job. I bet a lot of them wished they were back in the classroom.

For every lazy teacher, there is a teacher who works his/her butt off. I know one.

Very true. It's just a few bad apples that give the rest of them a bad name.
Starter

by TravelPat1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Don't get me wrong - I would love it were I a teacher as a Jays fan - but the teacher friend of mine (who is not a baseball fan) was at work as usual by about 7:45AM and did not leave the school after the busses got them back to Brantfod until the last student was picked up by parents at about 6:30PM last night. She hated it and was exhausted by the time she got home. She would have much preferred a regular day - with a lunch hour - and on the road home by shortly after 4:00PM.
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 pm

I think few would object to an outing to see theatre at Stratford as part of the English curriculum so going to a sporting event as part of a physical education class to help motivate kids to take up a sport perhaps shouldn't be a problem either.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by rcon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 am

Gotta love the "positive" spin Rogers puts on a 4 and 13 team. :roll: Greg Zahn going on for 5 minutes about Whifftista hitting a ball to opposite field, which was caught, that he was getting better in hitting and that Whifftista is on the verge of a "breakout"! https://youtu.be/SGD69Q9rz3M :lol: :lol:
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Well here in Southern Ontario we are about to move from 80% Leafs coverage and the other 20% split between the Raps, Jays and TFC to a situation where the Raps - as long as they last will get at least a good chunk of the coverage - but the Jays share will rise substantially from what it has been because that is where a chunk off Leafs fans and coverage will naturally migrate to.

So the Jays (and their owners and Sportsnet) have to be hoping today's come from behind win is an omen of better things to come compared to the sh*t show they've had on display so far.

Personally - I'm doubtful - but now that my Leafs are done - I certainly am hoping for a MASSIVE Jays improvement and a Raps improvement too - otherwise the next couple of months may drag a bit.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Greg Zahn & Husky Heavy Wilner can yap all they want - but the real key for the 4-13 Jays is to get to 10 Wins before they get to 20 losses!

At 10-18 a wild card spot (#2 wildcard) is still a reasonable but diminished possibility) but at 8-20 I'd say they'd need to get on a couple 12 game winning streaks - just to crawl back into contention.

With current roster - current Triple A/ MLB pitching I'd say this team will be dumping contracts and trading away by early to mid-August.

Whifftista might come on - but even rising to his normal .223 average, he's still a below average player - especially for his 20 mill. salary. Wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take on a few "special" nicks in order to go on the DL like Tulowhiffski & Donaldson.

Guys like Barney, Smoak, Goins are game but not quite MLB talent "spares".

Rooster Martin has really desecrated himself as a hitter. Still a capable catcher but certainly not Top 10 catchers in the league. My guess is he'll be the next Jays manager within 2 or 3 years.

Donaldson looks somewhat chronic - injured from the getgo of pre-season and now plagued with an uncertain return date. Tulowitzki probably the most consistent of the big-money guys but his health is starting to go, too!

Travis has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. No reasonable return on him is possible now.

Guys I'd trade in a heartbeat - even for draft picks = Bautista, Martin, Travis, Tulowitzki, Smoak. Lots of teams would want a guy like Smoak to come in off the bench. Tulo probably has at least two years of top=flite play left in him. Bautista is a massive risk - but less so if the Jays take on part of his contract, even after trading him. Martin is an above average catcher with rapidly diminishing hitting powers. A contending team with young pitchers could use his savvy as a 1 or 2 game a week catcher. Might be able to trick a couple low-end teams to part with top prospects for either/both Travis/Smoak. :cowboy:
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am

Jays 5-14. Split with the Angels and they were lucky to do that - could have easily been 1 and 3.

Sadly, they have the poor Arizona Cardinals for the next 4 games.

Injury bug has struck the team. That`s a shame. :lol:
All-Star

by Mr. Pike » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:Jays 5-14. Split with the Angels and they were lucky to do that - could have easily been 1 and 3.

A baseball team playing a football team , what the heck are they thinking , Kevin ? :D :lol:
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 am

Mike Wilner has apparently booked Maple Leaf Gardens for a special ceremony honoring Bautista and the recent "rise" of the dirty birds - Bautista didn't get any hits last nite but his card was exemplary - he begged two walks and maintained his stellar .138 average.

Slipped on a banana peel in right field while chasing a Mike Trout blooper - probably cost the Jays the winning run on that one!

BTW - who's Mike Coghlan and why is he a baseball player?
Last edited by Lyle B. Style on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Mr. Pike wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:Jays 5-14. Split with the Angels and they were lucky to do that - could have easily been 1 and 3.

A baseball team playing a football team , what the heck are they thinking , Kevin ? :D :lol:

:)

My bad... Arizona Diamond Backs... I think.
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 pm

They are playing the St. Louis Cardinals for 3 games Kevin. :-)
All-Star

PreviousNext