Younger viewers

Re: Younger viewers

by slimjim2 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Xvys wrote:
Liquor Kitty wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:this is the Globe and Mail Survey from spring of 2016.

CFL is 2nd only to hockey in age demographics on who follows each league, so it is FALSE to assume younger demographic is not watching. .

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... e30015716/

I'd like to see a survey that includes female viewers, not just males.

Actually the third graph shows the percentage of females following each sport:

Among females, the CFL is 3 times more popular than the MLS and 4 times more popular than the NBA.
(Only 4% of Canadian females follow MLS; 3% NBA; and 12% CFL.)

Contrary to what we are told, the CFL (23%) has a higher percentage of 18-34 y.o. who follow the league, than NFL (22%), MLB (22%), NBA (21%). So much for the false theory that young football fans are flocking to the NFL over the CFL. :roll:

This Angus Reed/G&M poll mirrors Reginald Bibby's Online Canadian Sports survey quit closely, putting to rest the claim that online surveys aren't reliable.

But these on-line surveys are meaningless. The real polls are in the actual number that show up to sporting events and the Numeris polls that track the real numbers of people watching and the demographics.

If you want proof as to how useless the "surveys" are, you only have to look at the survey before last years Grey Cup, it was something like half of Canadians surveyed stated that they would probably watch all or part of the Grey Cup.
But the Numeris numbers came out showing that it was 4 million watched it or only 15 - 18 per cent of TSN/RDS viewers.

You only have to look at a TFC, Raptors or Jays crowd and see that they have a huge following of young people.
But if you go to an Argo game not only will you see by far the smallest crowd in the CFL but it's an older crowd.
Your survey is useless if you want to look at Toronto

As I stated above, if you look at an Ottawa CFL crowd you will see a lot of young milleniums.
The point is not all markets are the same.
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:05 pm

Xvys wrote:
Liquor Kitty wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:this is the Globe and Mail Survey from spring of 2016.

CFL is 2nd only to hockey in age demographics on who follows each league, so it is FALSE to assume younger demographic is not watching. .

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... e30015716/

I'd like to see a survey that includes female viewers, not just males.

Actually the third graph shows the percentage of females following each sport:

Among females, the CFL is 3 times more popular than the MLS and 4 times more popular than the NBA.
(Only 4% of Canadian females follow MLS; 3% NBA; and 12% CFL.)

Contrary to what we are told, the CFL (23%) has a higher percentage of 18-34 y.o. who follow the league, than NFL (22%), MLB (22%), NBA (21%). So much for the false theory that young football fans are flocking to the NFL over the CFL. :roll:

This Angus Reed/G&M poll mirrors Reginald Bibby's Online Canadian Sports survey quit closely, putting to rest the claim that online surveys aren't reliable.

Sorry, I should have more concise:
I'd like to see a survey that includes female viewers, not just males when it comes to age demographic (since we are talking about younger fans).
I know the Red Blacks for instance have a high young woman demographic ... saw it for myself at Grey Cup. :D
Veteran

by PTBO Dave » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:24 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
But these on-line surveys are meaningless. The real polls are in the actual number that show up to sporting events and the Numeris polls that track the real numbers of people watching and the demographics.

If you want proof as to how useless the "surveys" are, you only have to look at the survey before last years Grey Cup, it was something like half of Canadians surveyed stated that they would probably watch all or part of the Grey Cup.
But the Numeris numbers came out showing that it was 4 million watched it or only 15 - 18 per cent of TSN/RDS viewers.

A poll/survey is a poll/survey. Both take a small sampling and apply it to a larger whole.

And the comparison you try to make is inaccurate because you are comparing the Numeris survey of 4 million average viewership and trying to say that it does not jive with the other survey of total reach. What did the Numeris survey say about total reach? That's the real equivalent, and obviously will be much higher than then average viewership and much closer to the 50% of the other survey.

And the Numeris surveys do coincide with the other survey numbers to a great degree. Numeris surveys show that CFL TV numbers generally do better on a per-game basis than NFL, and certainly much higher than NBA and MLS. The last two years, Blue Jays MLB games have done better than CFL games but non-Blue Jays games not so much.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Xvys » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm

The above 2016 Globe & Mail survey was conducted by Angus Reid pollsters. Their results mirror a number of other recent Canadian sports surveys about the level of support for each sport in Canada.

Not sure why Slim/Mike/CFL Gal would get so angry that Canada's leading pollster has proven that more young Canadians follow the CFL than the NFL, contrary to what Slim pickin's has been spouting in his anti-CFL non-truths for years? (...because not-so-secretly Sim wants the CFL to fail in Toronto paving the way for Canada's NFL team, he has craved for so long.) :roll:
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Xvys wrote:The above 2016 Globe & Mail survey was conducted by Angus Reid pollsters. Their results mirror a number of other recent Canadian sports surveys about the level of support for each sport in Canada.

Not sure why Slim/Mike/CFL Gal would get so angry that Canada's leading pollster has proven that more young Canadians follow the CFL than the NFL, contrary to what Slim pickin's has been spouting in his anti-CFL non-truths for years? (...because not-so-secretly Sim wants the CFL to fail in Toronto paving the way for Canada's NFL team, he has craved for so long.) :roll:

More proof from Yahoo.
This is from the Yahoo Grey Cup write up. It is talking about the 18-34 year old age group with a 15% increase. Also the streaming up 35%. and 2.5 million streaming ESPN. that group is a younger demographic for sure.

I think the younger demographic sees with their own eyes what a great sport CFL football is and the quality of athletes that play in it. Looks like they are not being influenced by Toronto media as it is easily seen as BS by this group.

Here is a the quote from the Yahoo Grey Cup article.

"Among those viewers was a group of 18-to-34-year-olds, 15 per cent more than the number who saw last year’s Grey Cup. In addition to being the hardest demographic to reach, that group is the league’s future. And since the CFL television audience tends to skew a tad on the wrinkly side, this is a real positive that could lead to growth.

Add in the fact that live streaming on TSN digital offerings was up 35 per cent and assuming most of those viewers were not collecting pensions and you’ve got hope for the future."
Veteran

by BigJoeM » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:27 pm

One I Definitely would like to see Live streaming for games . This is a must for cord cutters who are mostly the younger generation and maybe me in the future .

Two I would like to see a CFL game and third a few more promotions like the old DQ Football Helmets from my generation . I would ride my bike and get a Sundae and get one of the nine helmets . Kids love collecting it's something ingrained in our personalities and the helmets was one of the easiest and pleasant ( Hot Fudge Sundae ) collecting experiences ever invented .

Fourth but not last the continued connection to minor contact football and where they don't have contact sponsor flag football .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

BigJoeM wrote:One I Definitely would like to see Live streaming for games . This is a must for cord cutters who are mostly the younger generation and maybe me in the future .

Two I would like to see a CFL game and third a few more promotions like the old DQ Football Helmets from my generation . I would ride my bike and get a Sundae and get one of the nine helmets . Kids love collecting it's something ingrained in our personalities and the helmets was one of the easiest and pleasant ( Hot Fudge Sundae ) collecting experiences ever invented .

Fourth but not last the continued connection to minor contact football and where they don't have contact sponsor flag football .

Agreed, the latest news about "cord cutting" from the Convergence Research Group - they state that this year another 250k will cut the chord and by the end of the year there will be at total of 4.1 million households without the traditional TV - that translates to 10 MILLION viewers who are streaming!!

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/19/mor ... eport-says
All-Star

by Eskimosrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 pm

There are a lot of good suggestions on this post. From basic things like collecting helmets at DQ to half priced season tickets for what I would presume to be children under 7-8 (I think that'd be a good age anyways). It makes me wonder who does the marketing for half of these teams and why the CFL is so bogged down in stale thought.

The Eskimos do a pretty good job at going to schools and giving speeches and autograph signings but could do more, especially with their star players (hard to be available during the off-season, I get it, they move back home). But we have the biggest outdoor stadium in Canada and one of the best in North America. Maybe I just haven't done the research but why not give half priced seasons tickets to kids under 8? Bring back the knothole gang tickets (non-drinking for family friendly seats section) and keep up with the "college corner" seats. We have the bloody room! It's better to sell seats to young fans for half the price than it is to not sell seats to any young fans at all - makes it easier on the parents too.

"But that will devalue the other seats around them!". No, it won't. You do these things to the seats outside the 20's and do the half priced season tickets to anywhere in the stadium. Maybe to take 30% off seasons seats to university students who can present proof of enrollment. Or create mini game packs where people can select any 3 or 4 games of their choosing to sit at.

Does any of this make sense or am I on crazy pills with these suggestions?

Teams that would instantly benefit from these the most are BC, Edmonton (although our attendance is one of the best, we still have a massive stadium for more), Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal. The other teams I haven't mentioned sell out their stadiums a good portion of the time or at least don't look empty.

Here's the kicker, each of these teams could do this and maybe some of them are, but I have YET to see any advertising for them.
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by Eskimosrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Something I forgot to mention, I've been preaching a GOOD video game for years. I'm 24 years old and game Madden quite a bit. This could be the biggest weapon the CFL can use. Most expensive? Sure. But that's a ship that needs to be sailed sooner than later. If EA won't because of the NFL, why not get the guys who used to do the 2K series? Or maybe reach out to the NFL and discuss things with EA. The NFL has saved our league at least once (they loaned money to SASK in the 70's I believe). It may not seem like it but if something ever did happen to the CFL, it wouldn't be good for the NFL, they know it.

Makes me wonder what Commissioners and the BOG's do half of the time...
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by canadianfootballfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 am

Anytime I go to a CFL game I always see loads of children and teens. No lack of interest that I can see. Big or small crowd... there is always a healthy youth attendance level.
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:Anytime I go to a CFL game I always see loads of children and teens. No lack of interest that I can see. Big or small crowd... there is always a healthy youth attendance level.

But if you have been to an Argo game at BMO you will see a much older crowd. The majority of fans at Argo games are baby boomers. Compare that to a TFC game or a Jays or Raptors game, where you see a majority of young millenials.
All-Star

by Vanhalendlrband2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 am

slimjim2 wrote:
canadianfootballfan wrote:Anytime I go to a CFL game I always see loads of children and teens. No lack of interest that I can see. Big or small crowd... there is always a healthy youth attendance level.

But if you have been to an Argo game at BMO you will see a much older crowd. The majority of fans at Argo games are baby boomers. Compare that to a TFC game or a Jays or Raptors game, where you see a majority of young millenials.

Wait till BMO is full and see how young it is.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 am

Vanhalendlrband2 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:

Wait till BMO is full and see how young it is.

It usually is full for TFC games. Just head over to one of the bars in Liberty Village before a TFC game and you will see line ups outside the bars and they are all young people.
You will never see BMO full for an Argo game and the majority baby boomer Argo fans won't be in the bars in Liberty Village they will be at the Shipyard or the tail gate.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 am

Strange. I see a fair amount of young people and families at Argos games. Yes it does skew on the older side and it does need to grow on the younger side too but to say they don't exist is far from the truth.

Once the other Toronto teams start coming down to earth some of those band wagon crowds will have discretional time and money for other things. The Argos won't get all of them but if they give them a good reason to come out many will.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

REmmett wrote:The CFL has been saying for years that they need new younger viewers but they do nothing to get the attention of the kids. Kids need merchandise to get younger viewers. The NFL has McFarlane football figures, video games, league magnet boards. Football is a hard sports for kids to understand due to the chess match of the Canadian game. The NFL is brilliant at marketing, putting their players and franchise as large than life figures. I understand it is a money issue but the CFL needs to wake up and get with the times.

The Beiber halftime, like it or not, was a brilliant move on the league's behalf....of course most bitched and moaned about it and refused to accept the explanation.

The EA partnership has been a solid move. Success or not it was a solid effort

CFLweek screamed to the youth...it was brilliant. I can see it becoming big and it is aimed at youth.

The mobile app helps with all, but is targeting youth

The increased presence on social media is aimed at youth
All-Star

PreviousNext