Riderfans site

Re: Riderfans site

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:44 pm

slowhand wrote:I don't mind starting from scratch. The loss of some pretty good information posted by others over the years is the hard part.

We might be able to get some of those posts back. There was a LOT of posts, so if we do bring them back, do we bring back all of it, or some of it, or ???

Some threads need to be salvaged like the OSMUPE thread, but others like the Doubles thread should probably die.
Rookie

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Well, it appears that nobody did nothing when the site first went down - the first thing Calgary Rat Fink should have done is call the company he's loading with and ask them to look into their storage room. Shoulda taken no more than 18 hours (from first down to look-see) but they probably let the damn plates grind out! Too bad - some of my best material was on that site. I probably had 12,000 posts before I asked to be banned permanently. But BSD, one of the best CFL fans ever and also one of the funniest - had over 80,000. Word has it he was gonna leave them all to his grand-children! :cowboy:

Well...pretty much assured it is not a scratch platters issue or it would still boot up but would just have issues...if it didn't boot it should be nothing to do a recovery still. I can do some platters but it is not a simple task...I don't have a great setup for it, but i can do certain things. A head it is doable enough. I have seen a couple cases where the head clearly wore on the platter and didn't bother trying...that is a whole nother issue. I do know of a thermal manipulation technique that can help with that and have heard good results...never actually tried it...that type of rubbing does brutal damage. My guess is still that they overheated simply because the place sounds "meh"....my bet says that if one freezes the sucker it is recoverable
All-Star

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Hey all

The testing on the site is done now. In the process of moving it from one provider to another. Fingers crossed that it will be up tonight.

If you notice problems or not sure where things are, there is a trouble shooting forum and inside there is a "best practices" thread where I've (and others) have posted some of our lessons learned, how-to's, and gotchas.

Sully: I passed along your email to CRF (site owner), and he said he'll reach out at some point. So, if you see an email from a Govind that would be him. PM me if you want his email too.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edit: Site will be up tomorrow, not tonight.
Rookie

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:48 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
Lyle B. Style wrote:Well, it appears that nobody did nothing when the site first went down - the first thing Calgary Rat Fink should have done is call the company he's loading with and ask them to look into their storage room. Shoulda taken no more than 18 hours (from first down to look-see) but they probably let the damn plates grind out! Too bad - some of my best material was on that site. I probably had 12,000 posts before I asked to be banned permanently. But BSD, one of the best CFL fans ever and also one of the funniest - had over 80,000. Word has it he was gonna leave them all to his grand-children! :cowboy:

Well...pretty much assured it is not a scratch platters issue or it would still boot up but would just have issues...if it didn't boot it should be nothing to do a recovery still. I can do some platters but it is not a simple task...I don't have a great setup for it, but i can do certain things. A head it is doable enough. I have seen a couple cases where the head clearly wore on the platter and didn't bother trying...that is a whole nother issue. I do know of a thermal manipulation technique that can help with that and have heard good results...never actually tried it...that type of rubbing does brutal damage. My guess is still that they overheated simply because the place sounds "meh"....my bet says that if one freezes the sucker it is recoverable

I had completely forgotten about the freezer thing. I think I did that once some 25 or 30 years ago. Good times.
Rookie

by Preisst » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 pm

JimmytheGreek wrote:I hope they do get the stats back. I joined end July of last year and had over 2300 posts. Not the end of the world of course if they don't, it would just be nice to have.

Just a complete and total question for the purpose of easing my curiousity. Do you really care about how many posts you have on a site? I'm not insinuating or saying there is anything wrong with it, I guess it seems odd to me that anyone would actually care at all about a post count. If the answer is yes, and if you would indulge me, why do you care?

thanks in advance,
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by cflisthebest » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:22 pm

rdavidson wrote:Hey all

The testing on the site is done now. In the process of moving it from one provider to another. Fingers crossed that it will be up tonight.

If you notice problems or not sure where things are, there is a trouble shooting forum and inside there is a "best practices" thread where I've (and others) have posted some of our lessons learned, how-to's, and gotchas.

Sully: I passed along your email to CRF (site owner), and he said he'll reach out at some point. So, if you see an email from a Govind that would be him. PM me if you want his email too.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edit: Site will be up tomorrow, not tonight.

Please give CRF my worst. And tell him he is an Ahole. That he runs one of the worst most corrupt forum around.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Preisst wrote:
JimmytheGreek wrote:I hope they do get the stats back. I joined end July of last year and had over 2300 posts. Not the end of the world of course if they don't, it would just be nice to have.

Just a complete and total question for the purpose of easing my curiousity. Do you really care about how many posts you have on a site? I'm not insinuating or saying there is anything wrong with it, I guess it seems odd to me that anyone would actually care at all about a post count. If the answer is yes, and if you would indulge me, why do you care?

thanks in advance,

No I don't really care about it,its just a marker or milestone of how involved you are . Like I said if they get them back then fine, if not certainly not a big deal.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:54 pm

rdavidson wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

I had completely forgotten about the freezer thing. I think I did that once some 25 or 30 years ago. Good times.

yeah...honestly as stuff advances and the tolerances get tighter and tighter it really doesn't take much to mess things up so the freezer trick is actually crazy handy...smaller denser parts don't react as much but the tollerances are so tight it doesn't take much
All-Star

by Preisst » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:56 pm

JimmytheGreek wrote:
Preisst wrote:

thanks in advance,

No I don't really care about it,its just a marker or milestone of how involved you are . Like I said if they get them back then fine, if not certainly not a big deal.

Thanks, like I said I was just curious......

The one thing about that other now dead site was at least there was a LOT of activity on it. The Off Topic section had a lot of good information for basically anything anyone ever needs to know about anything. Other then the double standards and the megalomaniac jackoff mod it was good as there was literally always something going on for discussion.......
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Lyle B. Style » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am

Anyone remember who the "Megalomaniac Jack-Off Mod" was on riderfanatics?

I mean his screen or fictional name. I thought most of the mods there were kinda out of their mind. Graduates of Trump Doomeversity if you will. :cowboy:
All-Star

by Preisst » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:Anyone remember who the "Megalomaniac Jack-Off Mod" was on riderfanatics?

I mean his screen or fictional name. I thought most of the mods there were kinda out of their mind. Graduates of Trump Doomeversity if you will. :cowboy:

That's probably cause you were posting inflammatory crap and were given multiple warnings about it.

Then you were given multiple warnings about where you heading with your inflammatory crap.

Then when you got what you wanted and were permanently banned you resorted to whining and complaining and taking no blame even though ALL the blame was on you.

Then you took to name calling on other sites where the ones you attack have no recourse to defend themselves.

Maybe you should rethink?

In my case I absolutely DESTROYED the megalomaniac jackoff mod in multiple debates, he couldn't handle it, and was on a vendetta.

I warned him what would happen and when he continued his double standards I stopped posting and left on my own accord.

I was never banned that I know of but was given bullpoop infractions for the exact same thing that numerous other posters were doing every single hour.

I won and left. Their site crashed, PERMANENTLY. Not saying the two were directly linked but it sure smells like poetic justice. :rockin: :rockin:

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by rdavidson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Preisst wrote:
Lyle B. Style wrote:Anyone remember who the "Megalomaniac Jack-Off Mod" was on riderfanatics?

That's probably cause you were posting inflammatory crap and were given multiple warnings about it.

Then you were given multiple warnings about where you heading with your inflammatory crap.

Then when you got what you wanted and were permanently banned you resorted to whining and complaining and taking no blame even though ALL the blame was on you.

Then you took to name calling on other sites where the ones you attack have no recourse to defend themselves.

Maybe you should rethink?

In my case I absolutely DESTROYED the megalomaniac jackoff mod in multiple debates, he couldn't handle it, and was on a vendetta.

I warned him what would happen and when he continued his double standards I stopped posting and left on my own accord.

I was never banned that I know of but was given bullpoop infractions for the exact same thing that numerous other posters were doing every single hour.

I won and left. Their site crashed, PERMANENTLY. Not saying the two were directly linked but it sure smells like poetic justice. :rockin: :rockin:

Nope. It's back up and over 400 members have re-signed up. But, if you had a problem with the mods before, you'll likely have the same problems.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/
Rookie

by Preisst » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm

rdavidson wrote:
Nope. It's back up and over 400 members have re-signed up. But, if you had a problem with the mods before, you'll likely have the same problems.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/

I was referring to the old site that permanently crashed.

They now have a new site which is operational.

Anyway I think my posts defending the old site are quite clear. I had no problem with it other then one megalomaniac jack off mod. So, and not to nitpick, you saying I had a problem with mods [plural] is inaccurate. I had a problem with a poster who happened to be a mod, who then exerted his mod powers over me cuz as a poster he was a dud. :rockin:

Anyway. Enjoy it over there. Being the fair person I am I may take a look at it at some point in the future.

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Lyle B. Style » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 pm

The mopes (er, I mean mods) are gonna have fun trying to figure out who I am on the new site!!! lol :cowboy:
All-Star

by Preisst » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:The mopes (er, I mean mods) are gonna have fun trying to figure out who I am on the new site!!! lol :cowboy:

What name did you use to sign up under?

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

PreviousNext