Riderfans site

Re: Riderfans site

by Lyle B. Style » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Preisst wrote:
JimmytheGreek wrote:Well like I said there are the extremists there but there are also the average joe rider fans too. I take what is posted most of the time with a grain of salt depending on the level of extremity. Still like I also said they do get some good stuff and usually are on top of anything good or bad about the team so if you want to get the latest happenings on and off the field dealing with the Riders it is a very good source.

As for bullying newbies I haven't noticed a ton of it but I'm sure it does occur as it does at most forums. I found if you believe something or in your opinion as long as you don't trash talk others, most are respectful of you. Yes there are always the exceptions but again that happens at most forums so nothing new there.

In truth that site was on top of all the happenings on and off the field for the entire league. They just need to eliminate the double standards.

As for the bullying of newbies, I never saw it. Matter of fact they used to make new posters feel very welcome.

They just need to restart without that one megalomaniac jack off mod and they would be okay, and FTR I was not banned that I know of so this isn't sour grapes talking.

Time is ripe for some legitimate person or persons to start up an alternative Riders/CFL site. Problem is finding a "legitimate person" who wants to invest a few hundred dollars in layout, design & site/cloud storage plus programming costs. Prolly no one under 14 in that province who cares about rider goings on and those are the ones who could program and set-up a site in under 48 hours.
Brendan Taman still lives in Sask'n but I suspect he'd be averse to setting up RiderNapkins.Com or somesuch. Much better counting his severance money and drooling into his napkin.
Mutant Mike, the sickopath who runs the bomber site mourningbigblue.com could also be inducted into the cause. Mike really sucked up to the riderfan owner and all the mods to generate publicity for his dwarf-like bomber site (by comparison to this site or riderfans)
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:
Preisst wrote:
JimmytheGreek wrote:Well like I said there are the extremists there but there are also the average joe rider fans too. I take what is posted most of the time with a grain of salt depending on the level of extremity. Still like I also said they do get some good stuff and usually are on top of anything good or bad about the team so if you want to get the latest happenings on and off the field dealing with the Riders it is a very good source.

As for bullying newbies I haven't noticed a ton of it but I'm sure it does occur as it does at most forums. I found if you believe something or in your opinion as long as you don't trash talk others, most are respectful of you. Yes there are always the exceptions but again that happens at most forums so nothing new there.

In truth that site was on top of all the happenings on and off the field for the entire league. They just need to eliminate the double standards.

As for the bullying of newbies, I never saw it. Matter of fact they used to make new posters feel very welcome.

They just need to restart without that one megalomaniac jack off mod and they would be okay, and FTR I was not banned that I know of so this isn't sour grapes talking.

Time is ripe for some legitimate person or persons to start up an alternative Riders/CFL site. Problem is finding a "legitimate person" who wants to invest a few hundred dollars in layout, design & site/cloud storage plus programming costs. Prolly no one under 14 in that province who cares about rider goings on and those are the ones who could program and set-up a site in under 48 hours.
Brendan Taman still lives in Sask'n but I suspect he'd be averse to setting up RiderNapkins.Com or somesuch. Much better counting his severance money and drooling into his napkin.
Mutant Mike, the sickopath who runs the bomber site mourningbigblue.com could also be inducted into the cause. Mike really sucked up to the riderfan owner and all the mods to generate publicity for his dwarf-like bomber site (by comparison to this site or riderfans)

I have never entirely understood unofficial sites. If more people migrated to the CFL forums then they would likely put more into them. Realistically though forums are not used like they used to be...so many other social media options now. I am more at a point now when I put stuff out there I do so in a medium that puts my name on it...which for some reason I am not willing to do in forums. The last really good juice I had was on the Hervey stuff...I think a lot (definitely not all) of that is really out there now though.
All-Star

by leeinq » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Hum, well I certainly found the site to generally be a good one, certainly it is one of the few that I have seen players post on from time to time. I certainly have taken alternative views from the norm and it never ended in a banning. There are a number of mods, and some of them do have good connections with people in the league.

As for some of the comments in this thread about the ownership of the site and the 'white' good old boys, well considering the actual owner, CRF, that is more than a laugh.
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I guess it all depends on what your looking for from a site forum like Riderfans. If your looking for everyone getting along and all singing kumbaya while holding hands then nope this isn't the site for you. However if your wanting the latest news, rumblings, and grumblings well you will certainly get your fill of it there.

Could there be improvements? Of course but that could be said of almost all fan forums. Yes as I said some get way too full of themselves and yes its best to just ignore them and not engage with them as they will just carry on and on usually saying the same things over and over. Still there is some interesting topics and points of view and while sometimes it gets ugly there are also plenty of times there is some pretty interesting or funny posts made.

I actually like the forum myself simply because of the updates on the team. There is plenty of stuff I just ignore, so its up to the individual a lot on what kind of experience it is there. If you go to get the juice then you won't be disappointed but if your there to try and win battles then you can be in for a bumpy ride. I have got into a few scrums but I found if you stand up for yourself without getting personal then most will respect your view, and if they don't well screw em.

Yes fans of other teams are given a rough time at times but then some go asking for it too, still some of the regulars on there should be reigned in a bit as they do get away with far too much. That would be the biggest improvement and could change the environment if it happened I think.
All-Star

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 am

Hi everyone

The site is almost back up. Some changes have occurred.

Looks like we are now on the latest version of V Bulliten now.

Everyone is starting from post 1 now. So, it might be possible to stay up with BSD and his 80,000+ post count. That might change though, I talked to CRF and he is looking into migrating some of the backend data back in. I don't know if that is going to happen or not.

Believe CRF is moving to a new host at some point before going live. There are a couple of us in there now posting stuff, but mostly testing new features and getting some of the settings tweaked so formatting looking right and the site has a Rider flavouring to it.

I believe it's going to be the same mods as before. At least from what I can tell, so if you had a problem with an old mod, you'll likely still have the same problem(s) if you decide to come back.

That's about it. I'll post again as the mods get closer to a final version.
Rookie

by sully » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 am

rdavidson wrote:Hi everyone

The site is almost back up. Some changes have occurred.

Looks like we are now on the latest version of V Bulliten now.

Everyone is starting from post 1 now. So, it might be possible to stay up with BSD and his 80,000+ post count. That might change though, I talked to CRF and he is looking into migrating some of the backend data back in. I don't know if that is going to happen or not.

Believe CRF is moving to a new host at some point before going live. There are a couple of us in there now posting stuff, but mostly testing new features and getting some of the settings tweaked so formatting looking right and the site has a Rider flavouring to it.

I believe it's going to be the same mods as before. At least from what I can tell, so if you had a problem with an old mod, you'll likely still have the same problem(s) if you decide to come back.

That's about it. I'll post again as the mods get closer to a final version.

Glad to hear it. Shoot me an e-mail (address in my signature) if you folks need any technical assistance; I've run vBulletin for years.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.
Site Staff

by nowhereman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:04 pm

JimmytheGreek wrote:
I actually like the forum myself simply because of the updates on the team. There is plenty of stuff I just ignore, so its up to the individual a lot on what kind of experience it is there. If you go to get the juice then you won't be disappointed but if your there to try and win battles then you can be in for a bumpy ride. I have got into a few scrums but I found if you stand up for yourself without getting personal then most will respect your view, and if they don't well screw em.

Yea I'm with you on this one Jimmy...I've never registered and just lurk for good info...a lot of flotsam and jetsam that extends some threads wwwaaayy too long.
Starter

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm still surprised they could not get anything from the old hd
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I hope they do get the stats back. I joined end July of last year and had over 2300 posts. Not the end of the world of course if they don't, it would just be nice to have.
All-Star

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

depopulationINC wrote:I'm still surprised they could not get anything from the old hd

CRF had the hosting company look at it, and they said they couldn't retrieve anything from it. That assumes they know what they are doing to begin with. I have doubts on that. as they were supposed to do backups and test them, and they couldn't get that part right.

CRF mentioned there are older backups he has taken. I haven't seen them, so I don't know how old they are, or even if things can be transferred nicely, or if the community actually wants to go down that road.

If the provider is able to ship that failed drive out, I do have tools to remount it and see what failed and what is retrieval. It depends if CRF is interested in going down that road. It can be time consuming.

I'm a Database Administrator as my Monday to Friday job, and believe that the vButtitin's back-end is a MySQL DB, so getting data out is trivial once I get physical access to that DB. But it's not really a priority at this stage.
Rookie

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

rdavidson wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:I'm still surprised they could not get anything from the old hd

CRF had the hosting company look at it, and they said they couldn't retrieve anything from it. That assumes they know what they are doing to begin with. I have doubts on that. as they were supposed to do backups and test them, and they couldn't get that part right.

CRF mentioned there are older backups he has taken. I haven't seen them, so I don't know how old they are, or even if things can be transferred nicely, or if the community actually wants to go down that road.

If the provider is able to ship that failed drive out, I do have tools to remount it and see what failed and what is retrieval. It depends if CRF is interested in going down that road. It can be time consuming.

I'm a Database Administrator as my Monday to Friday job, and believe that the vButtitin's back-end is a MySQL DB, so getting data out is trivial once I get physical access to that DB. But it's not really a priority at this stage.

Well...did they indicate if it was logic failure or mechanical? If it is logic it is generally pretty simple to get the data. If it is mechanical it really depends...if it is the plates there might be a bit of data loss but it is pretty unusual to actually get no recovery. If the thing was grinding for days there might be some scratching on the plates and thus some data loss...but I would really hope they would have noticed a HD putting out noises...at the same time these peeps sound like they are a bit of arse hats so if I was betting I would bet on lack of cooling and that it was a gradual catastrophic failure...which is usually fine to recover. I would be demanding the hardware because I wouldn't trust people who don't back stuff up as a server host with doing any data recovery.
All-Star

by rdavidson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
rdavidson wrote:

Well...did they indicate if it was logic failure or mechanical? If it is logic it is generally pretty simple to get the data. If it is mechanical it really depends...if it is the plates there might be a bit of data loss but it is pretty unusual to actually get no recovery. If the thing was grinding for days there might be some scratching on the plates and thus some data loss...but I would really hope they would have noticed a HD putting out noises...at the same time these peeps sound like they are a bit of arse hats so if I was betting I would bet on lack of cooling and that it was a gradual catastrophic failure...which is usually fine to recover. I would be demanding the hardware because I wouldn't trust people who don't back stuff up as a server host with doing any data recovery.

I don't have any information on the how / why / what of the HD failure. But, you are right it depends on the failure if anything is retrievable. I have tools to do some diagnostics on, but it is up to CRF on the direction he wants to go. It might not be worth the time and energy to get that data if he has a "recent" backup.

Judging from the mood around there regarding the post history, I got the feeling the posters would like to start fresh. But, there is some nostalgia for the Osmupe thread, and I brought the RiderGirl thread as something to resurrect for giggles. We'll see if that goes anywhere.
Rookie

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 pm

It really shouldn't matter if it is a soft or hard failure...it is all recoverable generally. I've not done a pile of recoveries...if done buttload of flashes and such...maybe 30 or so HDs and most of those were mechanical and have never had one without recovery. The worst I had was off of an SD card and I got 93%.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
rdavidson wrote:

Well, it appears that nobody did nothing when the site first went down - the first thing Calgary Rat Fink should have done is call the company he's loading with and ask them to look into their storage room. Shoulda taken no more than 18 hours (from first down to look-see) but they probably let the damn plates grind out! Too bad - some of my best material was on that site. I probably had 12,000 posts before I asked to be banned permanently. But BSD, one of the best CFL fans ever and also one of the funniest - had over 80,000. Word has it he was gonna leave them all to his grand-children! :cowboy:
All-Star

by slowhand » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't mind starting from scratch. The loss of some pretty good information posted by others over the years is the hard part.
Practice Squad

PreviousNext