LOL

Re: LOL

by depopulationINC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:23 am

JimmytheGreek wrote:Frankly I don't care if we have 1, 10 or a 100 on staff and how much they cost. I do care about results though or more to the point lack of them. There is no question in my mind that for all the camps, and tryouts that we have had there has not been a great return so far. I mean when you see guys like fat boy Simms, Mitchel, Young even getting looks it does not exactly seem like impressive results. Oh I know the old saying you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a Prince but if the frog is out of shape or has not hopped in ages then why bother?

I would have no issue if they were testing young,unproven players that at least were in great shape and show some abilities and potential. That is worth it in my opinion, but this "leaving no rock unturned" philosophy is being taken waay to far. It is a waste of time and resources and even if it seems insignificant when its one player, when you start having more then one it does start to add up and again the perception to many is one desperation.

I think Jones and the scouting need to seriously narrow down their focus to players that are going to have an immediate or are potentially very close to being able to make an impact first , and then as we start to get better then expand to more "experimental " projects. The way it is now I think they are wasting valuable time more then anything with these wild long shots that have almost zero chance of making it.

That does not seem to be the case right now and thus we are seeing the Simms and Youngs that everyone is laughing and shaking their heads about.

dismal understanding of the neg list...which has been discussed a fair bit on here...tells you that a QB find in under 2 full seasons is very unlikely and more realistically it is 2.5....and I don't care how many camps you have. You might get the odd rare promising QB slip through cracks not on a neg list and into a camp (ie Franklin) but that is pretty rare. That is simple reality. positions beyond that you see some trickle but the best players beyond that take a year most times...which is where we are sitting now and should realistically JUST be seeing a few of those come through. Camps are where the guys simply missed entirely are picked up. That is how Cox was brought in...that is how Edwards was brought in...I think that is how Holley was brought in....that is how Rodgers who shows some promise was brought in....that is how Hunter was brought in and he shows some level of promise....that is how Euavoen was brought in.
Camps aren't showing results???? we will agree to disagree. If you can get that return every year PLUS the now just bearing fruit neg list...worth it. remember...the base is there now...so if they bring in a handful of guys like this every season that are not thrown into the frying pan moving forward and can actually be developed a bit unlike some of these guys who were green a F and starting...getting that depth in place is massive. It blows my mind that someone could say there is not good value in these camps that are costing them very little other than time...and if these coaches are working 11 months of the year by working at these and reviewing tapes on the players when they are not then I have zero issue with them being paid a bit more than other coaches around the league because it would seem they are giving something back to the organization a way bigger chunk of the season. How does one "narrow down search?" do you want them having only 2 camps and focusing just on the players that attend those? that seems pretty stupid as opposed to being as broad as you can be. Open it to everyone...someone jumps out at you in a position you are not focusing on that is great...potential win. that does not mean they are not primarily looking at given positions with primary focus at the camps or in tape....ps...you need all positions trying out at these to truly evaluate any given position. When you are looking for an employee do you want to look broadly or just recruit from one school? No...you want to be looking at a few places...same concept...I really can't imagine how that would be hard to visualize....like at all. Let people laugh because they make some silly moves with neg list players...big fricken whoop....they are looking at a pile of players and they are going to make the odd move in there that are red flags...same as every team in the league does....but the cold hard reality is that the more players that you look at the better your odds of finding the next gem is....and yes...part of that will always include taking looks at people probably they shouldn't.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 am

nythril wrote:Its a mini camp for FS. If its correct as posted above that to even have a look at a player with 5+ years they need to be on your neg list then this makes a bit more sense. It is not training camp - it is not during the season. It costs the team zip to see him run threw some plays ... rather that they do it in a try out mini camp then have him waste a spot at training camp

as i said...I wasn't sure on the 5 year thing...but it is sticking in my mind for some reason...i will ask someone over the next couple days but don't hold me to that. Either way...it was probably something that would have been needed just to try to appease him to show up for it. Nothing wrong with having some experienced arms in camps. Hell...even if this guy made it through i will say one thing...would love him in 4rd and short :D

I have always been an advocate that neg list info should be more available...this has changed my opinion.
All-Star

by StormRider1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Again Jones proves what a joke he really is, and how he is slowly killing this team, again, cheap players make for a cheap team, almost anyone that was still worth keeping is all but gone, now he brings in a 6 year has not touched a ball player... LMAO, no wonder we are the laughing stock of the league right now, and again we will not be a contender!! No excitement here for this season to start, cuz we know how it will go!! year 4 in the bush here we come!!
Veteran

Previous