No news

Re: No news

by bowl450 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:25 am

Mitchell Gale is a free agent as well and he may be who they need the extra money for ?
even though I'm not totally sold on Gale , I would like to see him with a bonafide O-Line in front of him instead of a makeshift line, as the quality of the O-Line is detrimental to the success or lack of success to the QBs performance.
as far as Lulay, Ray or Burris goes they won't come cheaper than Durant ?
If we have to land one of these 3 we are in bigger trouble than anyone can imagine ?

Depop, can you possibly answer my question as I know that you are a wealth of knowledge ?
how many players that Jones and company brought in, not counting draft picks, and made the roster were from other CFL teams, and how many were from free agent camps or found by the rider scouting staff ?
Veteran

by depopulationINC » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Taleback wrote:Holy smokes. If Burris, Lulay or Ray are Jones's way of looking beyond the now and to the future Riders are in a lot more trouble than I thought. Also Jones on one hand says, in his little interview where he humiliates Durant IMO, that he feels he can win the Q.B.'s that are already on the roster if Durant deal doesn't get done. Then on the other hand he says he needs less money for Durant so he can pay a good second stringer. Guess what. The ones he feels he can win with already on the roster are signed for this year, so what is that extra cash needed for the # 2 Q.B. thing all about? Not saying that I disagree with you or Jones's on how he wants to pursue this thing with Durant, just curious on what his thought process may be.

Yes...heaven forbid that the 2015 MOP/2016 Grey cup MOP should come along for a season or 2!!! that would be horrible! Only concern there is his leg. if he bounces back from that and someone wants an insurance plan, tough to go wrong there.

Same goes for Ray

Same goes for Lulay

you develop someone but have a championship QB who can lead a team.....that is looking to the future
Vet QBs are locked up? If you are looking for a contingency/depth guy with experience...this is the season

O’Brien
*LeFevour
Jacory Harris
Jeff Mathews
Davis
*Glenn
*Nichols
*Durant
*Gale
DeMarco
O’Brien
*And drew Tate I think has the capability of being a FA, and Burris has an out clause that he likely uses if he is not #1 going in

That list has a few competent QBs who may not be the future but at minimum give your team a chance while you are looking for him

Further...the way things used to be was your #3 QB got league minimum and your #2 got that plus about 10 points....that is shifting because of the dollar. You can expect to be paying about 60 and 72-75 now, so about 20-25% more for you backup QBs...and that is no names on their first contract. if you want a promising name like bj Daniels or Adams you are going to pay likely pushing 90 at the minimum....that might not sound like a big deal, but it is
Last edited by depopulationINC on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:40 pm

bowl450 wrote:Mitchell Gale is a free agent as well and he may be who they need the extra money for ?
even though I'm not totally sold on Gale , I would like to see him with a bonafide O-Line in front of him instead of a makeshift line, as the quality of the O-Line is detrimental to the success or lack of success to the QBs performance.
as far as Lulay, Ray or Burris goes they won't come cheaper than Durant ?
If we have to land one of these 3 we are in bigger trouble than anyone can imagine ?

Depop, can you possibly answer my question as I know that you are a wealth of knowledge ?
how many players that Jones and company brought in, not counting draft picks, and made the roster were from other CFL teams, and how many were from free agent camps or found by the rider scouting staff ?

They have stated that OL is the key focus point...something they zeroed in on was that they really focused on tackles in the off-season and not really on OGs...that really burned them when they lost both of their starters out of the gate plus vonk as their backup.

good question on the players....if you asked me 6 weeks ago I probably know rough numbers. It is also kinda hard to say in some senses...what do you mean by other team's rosters exactly? Including FAs and trades i assume...the crazy PR steal from BC...there were guys like Korey Jones (who was a huge pickup and often overlooked IMO...solid solid player)...he asked for his release in Edmonton during the season because he didn't like how he was used and didn't really want to be there...they granted that and Jones pounced on it...he really helped turn special teams around as soon as he arrived, and was solid when in downs.
Anyways...from camps there were probably 12-14 that are still around
other teams...probably 20 or so

Thing with camps is I think a lot of the guys they zoned in on never came down because they are exhausting other options still...yes they had some nice pick ups in guys like Cox and Sam E, but the full fruit of that will take a couple seasons. It is kinda like the neg list...you don't chuck out most of the list and rebuild it and see results immediately...even if that list was completed in say January 2016...a few guys are going to be out of school or just graduating this year...most of the real lookers that were already out are on a neg list already unless they are overlooked in a small school...and that is where the benefit of the camps come in. The Riders are getting a lot of attention from these camps and there have been a couple guys that signed on because they or their agent noticed a lot of the Rider presence with those or some of the mass E camps...you see all that staff and they get noticed...you remember that....that presence has made them pick up the phone and call the Riders before anyone else. Also...apparently the small NCAA schools are seeing it to...they are getting more calls from them now from coaches that are saying hey...take a look at this kids highlights...he did/is going to get overlooked at the NFL...good kid give him a look...heard a couple of those now to...that presence has such a huge benefit in the long run. The neg list takes really a year to get low hanging fruit...2 years for much substance because so many are already on one, and many of those on yours are fringe players...so a guy graduating this year won't be seen until late 2017 or into 2018...that's what you want from that list...close to making it down south...just missed. QBs take 3-5 years generally

glancing a bit closer there are about 18-20 from camps of which I would say 7-8 seem like they are a piece of the puzzle...not bad for one year of camps IMO.

About 2 dozen from other rosters...but I mean that includes guys like Muamba, Foster, G Jones...a half dozen or so not exactly other team cast offs to fill a void or trades or anything. Then there is a guy like Bennett...picked up in trade, sure, but a very good pick up...Guy, swiped from a PR.

Edit....actually missing some here...I was looking at the Marvin Golding doping mess and it donned on me that there were a few more that I believe were pulled through the camp system. The Riders had 3 promising rookies at LB this year in Ogbongbemiga, Golding and Grondin. All 3 show some level of promise, but Ogbongbemiga was at that point trailing for a spot. Tough to carry 3 NI rookie LB, so Ogbongbemiga was moved. in hindsight one of course wishes it was Golding this point in time lol. At any rate....of that set of 3 rookies 2 were not drafted and came through extended scouting and camps...2 show a level of promise to have the ability to play in the league for a while, while Grondin shows promise of being a guy who sees more than just special teams. he is very promising and a super find. he is a guy I see developing into a mccullough role
Last edited by depopulationINC on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by Taleback » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:45 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
Taleback wrote:Holy smokes. If Burris, Lulay or Ray are Jones's way of looking beyond the now and to the future Riders are in a lot more trouble than I thought. Also Jones on one hand says, in his little interview where he humiliates Durant IMO, that he feels he can win the Q.B.'s that are already on the roster if Durant deal doesn't get done. Then on the other hand he says he needs less money for Durant so he can pay a good second stringer. Guess what. The ones he feels he can win with already on the roster are signed for this year, so what is that extra cash needed for the # 2 Q.B. thing all about? Not saying that I disagree with you or Jones's on how he wants to pursue this thing with Durant, just curious on what his thought process may be.

Yes...heaven forbid that the 2015 MOP/2016 Grey cup MOP should come along for a season or 2!!! that would be horrible! Only concern there is his leg. if he bounces back from that and someone wants an insurance plan, tough to go wrong there.

Same goes for Ray

Same goes for Lulay

you develop someone but have a championship QB who can lead a team.....that is looking to the future
Vet QBs are locked up? If you are looking for a contingency/depth guy with experience...this is the season

O’Brien
*LeFevour
Jacory Harris
Jeff Mathews
Davis
*Glenn
*Nichols
*Durant
*Gale
DeMarco
O’Brien
*And drew Tate I think has the capability of being a FA, and Burris has an out clause that he likely uses if he is not #1 going in

That list has a few competent QBs who may not be the future but at minimum give your team a chance while you are looking for him

Further...the way things used to be was your #3 QB got league minimum and your #2 got that plus about 10 points....that is shifting because of the dollar. You can expect to be paying about 60 and 72-75 now, so about 20-25% more for you backup QBs...and that is no names on their first contract. if you want a promising name like bj Daniels or Adams you are going to pay likely pushing 90 at the minimum....that might not sound like a big deal, but it is

OK. I see your point. Pretty sure Durant will be back anyway, so at the end of the day this is probably a non issue. Was just wondering what Jones may have had up his sleeve. I actually saw one on your list that I would love to have back one more time.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Taleback wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

Same goes for Ray

Same goes for Lulay

O’Brien
*LeFevour
Jacory Harris
Jeff Mathews
Davis
*Glenn
*Nichols
*Durant
*Gale
DeMarco
O’Brien

OK. I see your point. Pretty sure Durant will be back anyway, so at the end of the day this is probably a non issue. Was just wondering what Jones may have had up his sleeve. I actually saw one on your list that I would love to have back one more time.

I am not confident he will be back....but I am not convinced he won't be either. i think it would be a mistake to let him go...even at his ask. being gm is not generally an easy spot and they are rarely popular lol
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 pm

depopulationINC wrote:

Same goes for Ray

Same goes for Lulay

O’Brien
*LeFevour
Jacory Harris
Jeff Mathews
Davis
*Glenn
*Nichols
*Durant
*Gale
DeMarco
O’Brien

Good Lord man are you serious? OBrien ? Who the hell is that? Jacory Harris? Jeff Mathews? Davis?DeMarco? God man yes lets go dumpster diving why don't we? I guess it makes sense when he brings in a qb so fat he needed a scooter to get to the sidelines. Come on man that is a joke and a bad one at that. Burris. You honestly think Burris would leave Ottawa and come here? HERE? The man has a nice gig waiting for him in television in Ottawa if he wants it and he is going to walk away to come here? You think Burris signs a deal like Jones offered Darian? Phhft highly unfreaking unlikely. Ray oh yes once a very good qb but now can't play two games in a row without being in the tub. He can't throw a deep ball from what I have seen from last year either. Yes Ray what a plan that is . Lulay isn't likely to leave BC and why would he? He has a nice gig there and to come to here? Tate? LMFAO now that is truly funny. I almost spit my coffee out when I read that one. Yeah the guy that has his name plate on the bench and his ***print worn into it is going to leave his cushy gig in cow town and actually earn his pay? He had chances to move on before and passed on them but the almighty Chris Jones comes a calling and Tate comes a running? Wow that is too funny.

So Like I said Nichols is the only viable one that isn't a major downgrade from Darian and Nichols wants 450k so a 100 k more then even Darian is asking and yet Nichols who hasn't won **** is a wiser move? Man if this is Jones's plan B then man oh man what a great plan it is. Look I could gladly move on from Darian IF we had a legitimate replacement or there was one that was attainable. Like I said look at that list you put up and tell me one name that is most likely able to play game in and game out and do as good as Darian. Burris? Oh sure he came in for the last few games of the season and played well no doubt, but can you see him take a beating like Darian did this last season and makes it to the end? I sure don't. Gale is not a starting qb in this league, he has no mobility, that gets you dead in this league. LeFevour, Harris Matthew, have done what exactly? Yeah right sweet FA. So again if this is the secret plan of the great and wise Chris Jones then God help us we are so screwed. Have fun watching another season of "training camp" Yes building for the future so lets sign either Ray or Burris who are both far older then Darian. Pretty fricken sad if you ask me.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 am

JimmytheGreek wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

Same goes for Ray

Same goes for Lulay

O’Brien
*LeFevour
Jacory Harris
Jeff Mathews
Davis
*Glenn
*Nichols
*Durant
*Gale
DeMarco
O’Brien

Good Lord man are you serious? OBrien ? Who the hell is that? Jacory Harris? Jeff Mathews? Davis?DeMarco? God man yes lets go dumpster diving why don't we? I guess it makes sense when he brings in a qb so fat he needed a scooter to get to the sidelines. Come on man that is a joke and a bad one at that. Burris. You honestly think Burris would leave Ottawa and come here? HERE? The man has a nice gig waiting for him in television in Ottawa if he wants it and he is going to walk away to come here? You think Burris signs a deal like Jones offered Darian? Phhft highly unfreaking unlikely. Ray oh yes once a very good qb but now can't play two games in a row without being in the tub. He can't throw a deep ball from what I have seen from last year either. Yes Ray what a plan that is . Lulay isn't likely to leave BC and why would he? He has a nice gig there and to come to here? Tate? LMFAO now that is truly funny. I almost spit my coffee out when I read that one. Yeah the guy that has his name plate on the bench and his ***print worn into it is going to leave his cushy gig in cow town and actually earn his pay? He had chances to move on before and passed on them but the almighty Chris Jones comes a calling and Tate comes a running? Wow that is too funny.

So Like I said Nichols is the only viable one that isn't a major downgrade from Darian and Nichols wants 450k so a 100 k more then even Darian is asking and yet Nichols who hasn't won **** is a wiser move? Man if this is Jones's plan B then man oh man what a great plan it is. Look I could gladly move on from Darian IF we had a legitimate replacement or there was one that was attainable. Like I said look at that list you put up and tell me one name that is most likely able to play game in and game out and do as good as Darian. Burris? Oh sure he came in for the last few games of the season and played well no doubt, but can you see him take a beating like Darian did this last season and makes it to the end? I sure don't. Gale is not a starting qb in this league, he has no mobility, that gets you dead in this league. LeFevour, Harris Matthew, have done what exactly? Yeah right sweet FA. So again if this is the secret plan of the great and wise Chris Jones then God help us we are so screwed. Have fun watching another season of "training camp" Yes building for the future so lets sign either Ray or Burris who are both far older then Darian. Pretty fricken sad if you ask me.

i simply listed all of the FAs....the pretty little asterisk symbols would be the leading contenders...sorry thought that was obvious.

Would Burris leave Ottawa if he felt he had more opportunity for reps elsewhere...in a heartbeat....and he would sign about anything to get that crack...if he even returns...he wants every down he can get at this point. As far as his TV gig...it will be there in a year or 2 as well...but he would likely fail miserably at it as he simply is not the brightest star....I am also not sure if he would take that over giving more attention to his Rock Wood venture.

Ray as a contingency QB....why wouldn't someone want him?

Why would Lulay leave BC...because i am betting Wally won't give him a contract, and if it is it will be lowball.

Tate is one of the better backups in the game. don't forget that if he hadn't gotten banged up he likely starts over BLM...they were nose to nose for the job...I don't like either of them but that doesn't make it false...he does not "want" to be a backup, but he is a team first guy and takes it in stride...kudos to him on that. He has discussed it fairly PC a few times.

Nichols has publicly stated his ask is 4 and he called out the media for stating it was 450...straight up called bs to them...4 is his opening offer...i am pretty darned confident he would sign most things that gave him a chance at around that, or 350 if had less incentives...Like i said...he seems like a good fit for what they want to do on O here, and in all honesty, Gale might be to. He looked fairly good out there overall other than when he had pylons in front of him. As far as mobility...Glenn, AC, Ray, McManus, Ron Lancaster, Kent Austin, Dieter Brock, Tom Burgess....theres a half dozen QBs that are far from being mobile yet are HOF Qbs and all time passing leaders...there is more than one style that is successful and saying that a cfl QB "needs" to be mobile is a straight up 100% farce....some of the best QBs in both leagues are known more for their fast release...something they actually measure now because it is so important and something that QBs go to coaching specialists to work on now. In the nfl going back a half a decade there were maybe a half a dozen QBs that had a sub 2.5s release...now it is around 18 or 20. It is still a fairly new stat but it is becoming massive and is one of the biggest evaluation stats that has come along for Qbs in decades. Don't get tunnel vision on what a QB needs to be....in a timing route laden short pass heavy flats offense (like the Riders want) that release is a massive deal. If you are stretching the field more frequently it is less critical, but when the DB is in over coverage that release is what he is jumping a ball on...a tenth of a second is massive....i will straight up say that it is a point of concern for DD and always has been (I have brought it up in here many times)...though he has progressed amazingly in that area.
All-Star

by Taleback » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 am

JimmytheGreek wrote:So Like I said Nichols is the only viable one that isn't a major downgrade from Darian

Sorry Jimmy but I would have to include Glenn on that list. He has provided the best Q.B.ing the Riders have had since 2013 even when you include Durant in the mix. Would be O.K. with him coming back if Durant feels he can no longer Co-exist with Jones after Jones's moronic assessment of him at the end of the season. I still think that Durant is going to end up having the final say in this thing and I'm not sure his desire to be a Rider can trump the feelings he has for Jones now. I'm sure he would love to stick it in his face with another team just to show Jones how out of touch he really is.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Taleback wrote:
JimmytheGreek wrote:So Like I said Nichols is the only viable one that isn't a major downgrade from Darian

Sorry Jimmy but I would have to include Glenn on that list. He has provided the best Q.B.ing the Riders have had since 2013 even when you include Durant in the mix. Would be O.K. with him coming back if Durant feels he can no longer Co-exist with Jones after Jones's moronic assessment of him at the end of the season. I still think that Durant is going to end up having the final say in this thing and I'm not sure his desire to be a Rider can trump the feelings he has for Jones now. I'm sure he would love to stick it in his face with another team just to show Jones how out of touch he really is.

You say Glenn provided the best QBing in a few seasons...which is bang on in reality, though be prepaired to get flamed for saying it..I normally am...but then say DD can show Jones he is wrong playing elsewhere. So which is it...you just said that Glenn has outdone DD in one breath and that DD is the guy and can "show jones" in another breath

Glenn was putting up stunning numbers as a Rider before he went down...he was built for that O and was on pace to be around 6000 yards and projected only give up like 9 sacks on the season...mainly due to his quick release,....he fit JC's O so well.

While I don't like that Jones said what he said in the media...everything he stated was true. People can put some of those numbers on the team all they want...tough...it is a team sport and it happens. BLM is looked at as some kind of Greek god, and while he is a very good QB a lot of his success comes from what is built around him. Lots of people look at Ray and say he has lost it...maybe that is true, but the reality is his team sucked...team sucked so automatically Ray did...one of the best QBs in league history.

Product of environment...
like it or not DD has only dressed 18 games 2 times.
like it or not DD is 1 and 2 in the GC
like it or not DD 34 and has most likely peaked...he may stay where he is at for a few years...he may not...most don't if you are playing the odds
like it or not DD is not a quick release QB...though he has improved on it more than I thought he ever would.
like it or not DD is just above 500

I hope DD is back...I truly do...but if Glenn can do better numbers and perhaps Nichols in this system can as well...sentiment matters not to this GM...he is team first
All-Star

by Taleback » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:42 pm

I was referring to what I think Durant is thinking of those comments, along with the one where Jones said Durant is O.K. if you surround him with great players. I'm referring to what I think Durant feels, not necessarily what I feel.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Bombers release Glenn, that's interesting
Starter

by depopulationINC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 pm

ed ohmnes wrote:Bombers release Glenn, that's interesting

mehh...likely means they are freeing up room to ink Nichols. They were tight on cap this year...they actually renegotiated a couple contracts mid season to avoid going over. Willy's coin is obviously gone, but they have now signed their kicker...one of the guys who took a midseason cut...and they re-upped Bryant...time to start freeing up some money.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:35 am

A bit of news , Atheist riders. 5 and 15. Record is the record of. Jones , he likes to put the blame on durant it seems like but he is responsible for the surrounding cast. , They say it takes a year and a half to rebuild, so we should be rocking by labour day, I guess we'll just have to wait and see now.
Starter

by depopulationINC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:38 am

ed ohmnes wrote:A bit of news , Atheist riders. 5 and 15. Record is the record of. Jones , he likes to put the blame on durant it seems like but he is responsible for the surrounding cast. , They say it takes a year and a half to rebuild, so we should be rocking by labour day, I guess we'll just have to wait and see now.

who is "they" because that is the first I have ever heard that gem. there is no magic number on a rebuild.

yeah..."Jones bad Durant good"
gimme a break. It is pathetic how some people need someone to be a bad guy in this so take a comment like that an make a mountain out of that. These same people are the reason there is a hurt feelings room in many work places now.

Really sounds like you are making this comment a big deal because you want to make a big deal out of something because you need a bad guy in this or that you simply can not take unscripted comments in balanced analysis....not everyone can.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 pm

No I would be quite happy if they let jones go. He's getting paid far to much anyways. For a cfl team to pay a coach that much, it seem like an awfull lot
Starter

PreviousNext