Franklin starting today...

Re: Franklin starting today...

by depopulationINC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:29 pm

JimmytheGreek wrote:Sure the Riders could use the cap savings this year and spread it around and then sign Darian in January but that in my opinion would be just stupid. Again it is a message to Darian that we have money for those guys but none for him or he isn't deserving of it. That would probably make things even worse.


it is not a message to him if you tell him they want him entirely on the 2017 books. I don't think it is the case...but it does have a level of logic.especially if they come to terms with lower upfront cash.

yeah...100% get why DD wants the cash up front...makes sense...but he might have to wiggle on that because it is high....unfortunately it is what he is used to
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by papazoola » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:31 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
papazoola wrote:.......here's my take on Durant's situation...I think it's simply this...Durant is heading into the 'twilight' of his career....He wants a payday that will ensure that he goes out maximizing his dollars...To my way of thinking Darian is holding the better cards...Jones is gambling that Durant will take what's offered... a foolish weak position..Other clubs will definitely offer more for DD's services and he knows it...Even IF the Bombers do fairly well in the playoffs, Walters is still on the look for a solid qb. to make his club a Cup contender for the immediate and distant future....Bombers will be a solid contender for a Cup win shortly and with that comes extra playoff money and more if you win it all...Darian would be definitely aware of that fact...So a decent offer from Wpg. would be tempting...He probably wouldn't mind the fact he would be a team mate of his pal Weston Dressler and that they would/could end their careers simultaneously..We wouldn't be the only club wanting to sign a quality qb. like DD however...I'm sure one of T.O. or Mont. would also be interested...Presently I see Jones going down the same road he did with Chick and Dressler...I would say he better have a super plan 'B' if Durant walks because the good people of Regina won't be too happy(putting it mildly)if the Riders go into their new digs with an unknown behind centre...Just my take and I'm watching while Jones throws the dice :roll:


This is not really true...DD himself can be seen on the videos on Riderville discussing taking a cut...he knows darned well he would get more elsewhere but he wants to play in Sask...opening the new stadium is extremely important to him. He is only going to go so low...but money is far from the big motivator here.


.....Well the only thing I can say to that is, if isn't the money, then why hasn't he re-upped up until now, and appears to be at logger heads with Jones...I know Durant luvs it in Regina...there's no question BUT if the money isn't right for him and his family, ??? it 'could' very well be the only reason holding up an agreement...Just my thoughts
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 12245
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by depopulationINC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 pm

papazoola wrote:.....Well the only thing I can say to that is, if isn't the money, then why hasn't he re-upped up until now, and appears to be at logger heads with Jones...I know Durant luvs it in Regina...there's no question BUT if the money isn't right for him and his family, ??? it 'could' very well be the only reason holding up an agreement...Just my thoughts


because he has limits on money....but it is not like he is pushing to be one of the top 3 payed QBs. If money was the primary motivator for him he would have asked for 500...same as he knew he could get in Montreal. Just because opening that stadium and potentially playing for another cup (he has said he wants to be the first 2 time Rider QB winner) he still needs to set limits on that.

PS...sounds like there is potentially a GC announcement coming for 2018 in Regina on Tuesday...talking to a friend they say it looks the same as they did it for 2013...so that could be interesting to watch for sure.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by depopulationINC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 pm

I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by ed ohmnes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:16 pm

The more I read here , the it looks like jones is doing everything he can to make durant go away, but trying to make it look like he's trying to sign him. It really looks bad on the organization, but I guess we will have wait and see what happens, the longer it takes, the less likely durant will be back.
Starter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by JimmytheGreek » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:42 pm

depopulationINC wrote:I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back


Yeah Jones is showing his true colors once again. I had to laugh at the sheer irony in this statement.
“You’ve got to be fiscally responsible when you’re making money decisions. You can’t walk up and buy that new Corvette just because you like it if it costs more than what you can afford, and people around here should probably understand that. You’ve got a lot of blue-collar folks here who have to live within a budget and we, as a CFL football team, have to do the same thing. You can’t overspend, and you have to do what’s right, because you have to put a team together. You’re not just putting one or two guys together.


Umm so Jones are you too going to take a pay cut for your mismanagement of so many cap dollars? 130k in cap space GONE due to signing players that played a total of one game Caps GONE and his signing bonus wasted
26k GONE due to violations to league rules So Chris almighty Jones where is that "being fiscally responsible" that your using as a lame duck excuse? Funny when Jones blows the money and gets nothing in return that is all good and fine but to spend on a player that has been "moderately successful" (Darain as described by Jones) for the team and all of a sudden Jones is MR "No exceptions" . The BOD should fire him on the spot for his hypocrisy. This is not a good leader for the team if he can not do what he expects of others. Lead by not what you say but what you do and Jones is as I said showing he is a terrible leader.

No it isn't Darian that needs to change or move on it is YOU MR JONES head on a platter with a side of fries and nothing less if he blows this deal with Darian.

This isn't about what is good for the team but more about what Jones wants for the team. He wants this to be HIS team and not made up of players from the past. This is HIS legacy he is trying to build and not the teams.

Perhaps the BOD needs to be replaced also if they are so blind to what is unfolding before their very eyes. Jones is a false prophet that will not bring prosperity but could in fact bring this once great franchise to its knees. This is of no concern of Jones as he will skip out of town moving on to try his shtick wherever he can.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by JimmytheGreek » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:37 pm

papazoola wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:
papazoola wrote:.......here's my take on Durant's situation...I think it's simply this...Durant is heading into the 'twilight' of his career....He wants a payday that will ensure that he goes out maximizing his dollars...To my way of thinking Darian is holding the better cards...Jones is gambling that Durant will take what's offered... a foolish weak position..Other clubs will definitely offer more for DD's services and he knows it...Even IF the Bombers do fairly well in the playoffs, Walters is still on the look for a solid qb. to make his club a Cup contender for the immediate and distant future....Bombers will be a solid contender for a Cup win shortly and with that comes extra playoff money and more if you win it all...Darian would be definitely aware of that fact...So a decent offer from Wpg. would be tempting...He probably wouldn't mind the fact he would be a team mate of his pal Weston Dressler and that they would/could end their careers simultaneously..We wouldn't be the only club wanting to sign a quality qb. like DD however...I'm sure one of T.O. or Mont. would also be interested...Presently I see Jones going down the same road he did with Chick and Dressler...I would say he better have a super plan 'B' if Durant walks because the good people of Regina won't be too happy(putting it mildly)if the Riders go into their new digs with an unknown behind centre...Just my take and I'm watching while Jones throws the dice :roll:


This is not really true...DD himself can be seen on the videos on Riderville discussing taking a cut...he knows darned well he would get more elsewhere but he wants to play in Sask...opening the new stadium is extremely important to him. He is only going to go so low...but money is far from the big motivator here.


.....Well the only thing I can say to that is, if isn't the money, then why hasn't he re-upped up until now, and appears to be at logger heads with Jones...I know Durant luvs it in Regina...there's no question BUT if the money isn't right for him and his family, ??? it 'could' very well be the only reason holding up an agreement...Just my thoughts



First I would like to thank you for a very civilized and non trolling couple of posts. It is very appreciated by myself anyways.

While money is the factor it isn't that it is "big money" that Darian is after to stay here. He wants very much the things that Depop has pointed out, being the qb that opens the new stadium, win the second GC as the qb of the Riders. That is so important to him personally and Jones knows this all too well and now is holding it as a carrot in front of Darian. This is not only a huge mistake it is very stupid and a terrible way to treat a player of Darian's stature with Rider fan's and team mates. He is practically daring Darian to call his bluff and that is never a smart move when your holding nothing in your hand.

No Darian is not going to play for nothing as Jones wants but Jones is just stupid enough to think he has the upper hand. It will be his undoing if he goes through with it.

Jones is playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun and he has it pointed at his head. The question is he stupid enough to pull the trigger? I think he is.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by depopulationINC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:48 am

JimmytheGreek wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back


Yeah Jones is showing his true colors once again. I had to laugh at the sheer irony in this statement.
“You’ve got to be fiscally responsible when you’re making money decisions. You can’t walk up and buy that new Corvette just because you like it if it costs more than what you can afford, and people around here should probably understand that. You’ve got a lot of blue-collar folks here who have to live within a budget and we, as a CFL football team, have to do the same thing. You can’t overspend, and you have to do what’s right, because you have to put a team together. You’re not just putting one or two guys together.


Umm so Jones are you too going to take a pay cut for your mismanagement of so many cap dollars? 130k in cap space GONE due to signing players that played a total of one game Caps GONE and his signing bonus wasted
26k GONE due to violations to league rules So Chris almighty Jones where is that "being fiscally responsible" that your using as a lame duck excuse? Funny when Jones blows the money and gets nothing in return that is all good and fine but to spend on a player that has been "moderately successful" (Darain as described by Jones) for the team and all of a sudden Jones is MR "No exceptions" . The BOD should fire him on the spot for his hypocrisy. This is not a good leader for the team if he can not do what he expects of others. Lead by not what you say but what you do and Jones is as I said showing he is a terrible leader.

No it isn't Darian that needs to change or move on it is YOU MR JONES head on a platter with a side of fries and nothing less if he blows this deal with Darian.

This isn't about what is good for the team but more about what Jones wants for the team. He wants this to be HIS team and not made up of players from the past. This is HIS legacy he is trying to build and not the teams.

Perhaps the BOD needs to be replaced also if they are so blind to what is unfolding before their very eyes. Jones is a false prophet that will not bring prosperity but could in fact bring this once great franchise to its knees. This is of no concern of Jones as he will skip out of town moving on to try his shtick wherever he can.


It doesn't matter if the Riders have a million dollars in cap room left for 2016...they are not going to deviate from their numbers. This is what has made both Huf and Wally so good for so long. only difference is that right now it is tough to do that because they have not developed anyone else behind DD like those 2 guys always have...
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by Taleback » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:34 am

depopulationINC wrote:I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back


If I'm Durant, after reading this, My first call is to my agent telling him "under no circumstances are we signing there
now, go get me the money". Durant just found out what Jones thinks of him and IMO they can are no longer co-exist on the same team. If I'm betting, Durant has zero chance of being a Rider again even if Jones were to give him his asking and then some. No way Durant will let Jones define him and his time in Sask. Labour day next year will be Durants first on the new Mosaic turf.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by papazoola » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:54 am

Taleback wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back


If I'm Durant, after reading this, My first call is to my agent telling him "under no circumstances are we signing there
now, go get me the money". Durant just found out what Jones thinks of him and IMO they can are no longer co-exist on the same team. If I'm betting, Durant has zero chance of being a Rider again even if Jones were to give him his asking and then some. No way Durant will let Jones define him and his time in Sask. Labour day next year will be Durants first on the new Mosaic turf.


.....I think you're bang on Taleback....I made my original posts before I read Vanstone's article...The big question that would be considered now is where does Durant sign...and by the reaction of a lot of fans, like yourself, it won't be in Regina???Lot's can happen meantime, I would say, even a return to the Riders BUT I think the writing on the wall is becoming a little clearer, with regards to DD moving on :roll:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 12245
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by Taleback » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:09 am

I just can't see Durant going to Toronto. He is to much of a competitor and the gong show and lack of anything enthusiastic in Toronto, not even money could by for Durant. Montreal will be high on his list, as I'm sure they will offer up the most bucks, but I think it will be Winnipeg as that's where the passion is and that is what describes Durant to me.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by papazoola » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Taleback wrote:I just can't see Durant going to Toronto. He is to much of a competitor and the gong show and lack of anything enthusiastic in Toronto, not even money could by for Durant. Montreal will be high on his list, as I'm sure they will offer up the most bucks, but I think it will be Winnipeg as that's where the passion is and that is what describes Durant to me.



....Could be the Peg ..He certainly wouldn't be upset about having a couple of his former targets to throw to... Darian,Dressler and Smith were pretty good together...Never know??..I think you're closer with the Mont. take though....Durant would be a great mentor for Adams...and it seems that's the direction they want to go, making Cato available....Jones could have interest there although he would be a poor replacement for DD...We shall see...The off season could be full of all kinds of surprises :wink:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 12245
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by bowl450 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:22 pm

It is hard to let go of someone who is a fan favorite, such as Darian Durant because of money and ego , not talent, but what is even harder to grasp of the situation, is that there is NO bonafide QB in place to take over should DD leave,
losing DD makes it that much harder to accept.
to be a successful football team you need 2 quality QBs,
IMO we only have 1, soon to be none ?
I hope that I am wrong and that DD will be resigned.
Veteran
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by JimmytheGreek » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:25 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
JimmytheGreek wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:I must admit that after reading Vanstone today I feel it is less likely DD is back


Yeah Jones is showing his true colors once again. I had to laugh at the sheer irony in this statement.
“You’ve got to be fiscally responsible when you’re making money decisions. You can’t walk up and buy that new Corvette just because you like it if it costs more than what you can afford, and people around here should probably understand that. You’ve got a lot of blue-collar folks here who have to live within a budget and we, as a CFL football team, have to do the same thing. You can’t overspend, and you have to do what’s right, because you have to put a team together. You’re not just putting one or two guys together.


Umm so Jones are you too going to take a pay cut for your mismanagement of so many cap dollars? 130k in cap space GONE due to signing players that played a total of one game Caps GONE and his signing bonus wasted
26k GONE due to violations to league rules So Chris almighty Jones where is that "being fiscally responsible" that your using as a lame duck excuse? Funny when Jones blows the money and gets nothing in return that is all good and fine but to spend on a player that has been "moderately successful" (Darain as described by Jones) for the team and all of a sudden Jones is MR "No exceptions" . The BOD should fire him on the spot for his hypocrisy. This is not a good leader for the team if he can not do what he expects of others. Lead by not what you say but what you do and Jones is as I said showing he is a terrible leader.

No it isn't Darian that needs to change or move on it is YOU MR JONES head on a platter with a side of fries and nothing less if he blows this deal with Darian.

This isn't about what is good for the team but more about what Jones wants for the team. He wants this to be HIS team and not made up of players from the past. This is HIS legacy he is trying to build and not the teams.

Perhaps the BOD needs to be replaced also if they are so blind to what is unfolding before their very eyes. Jones is a false prophet that will not bring prosperity but could in fact bring this once great franchise to its knees. This is of no concern of Jones as he will skip out of town moving on to try his shtick wherever he can.


It doesn't matter if the Riders have a million dollars in cap room left for 2016...they are not going to deviate from their numbers. This is what has made both Huf and Wally so good for so long. only difference is that right now it is tough to do that because they have not developed anyone else behind DD like those 2 guys always have...



It may have contributed to their success but I don't recall either Wally or Huff mismanaging cap or money like Jones has either. Jones is a charlatan, a fraud, a snake in the grass, all the " gosh and shucks I'm just a blue collar guy" and "small town boy" song and dance is just a front for what he really is. In my opinion he is a power hungry, back stabbing, douche bag and that is being a kind description of what I really think he is. He had no intention of signing Darian back and instead of being truthful he just makes an offer that he knows full well that Darian won't accept and then stands there all innocent and makes a statement to the media that it was a very fair offer. For a guy that doesn't like to discuss contracts in public he sure had no issue with down playing and to the point of insulting Darian and his accomplishments in the media. That is doing things "behind closed doors"? Nope he has stoop to such a low level of all but saying Darian is an average qb at best and can only do well with very good players surrounding him. Not only is it not true but it borderlines being slanderous to Darian's abilities. Is this the kind of character that we want leading our team? A man that belittles the accomplishments or abilities of one of the great players here? Jones points to Darian having only won one cup as a starter but was it Darian's fault that we had too many men on the field? Was it Darian's doing that we had a very good lead on Montreal and the defense just folded? Of course it wasn't and it is playing once again silly bugger bending the situation to suit his purpose.

Lets think about this which of course Jones does not have the intelligence to do, how many FA's are going to sign here after seeing an icon like Darian get this kind of treatment? What kind of message does it send to the players that are on the team? Yeah well done Jones your really making a good impression and I'm sure no one is paying attention to how your conducting yourself.

I will admit he almost had me convinced he wanted to keep Darian and he respected him as a player especially as it has been pointed out that Jones could have traded Darian and got some good assets. Since he didn't when he had a golden opportunity to do so logic would tend one to think this would be evidence to support that theory. Jones though I think was playing everyone for fools and yes like I said I was buying it too for the most part. Instead I think it was all a rouse to give that impression and all the while it was not his intentions. Like I said Jones is a snake in the grass and a schemer and here is why I feel that way. So you know that Darian is very popular with the fans and there is going to be some heat from them if you come out and say I want to get rid of him. Instead you put on a good act and make it look like you do want to keep him, even though it would be better for the team to be honest and have gotten something for Darian in a trade you instead just throw that opportunity away all for the sake of the charade you are pulling.

This is where the BOD should step in and call him on this. This is not the actions of a man that has the team's best interests at heart if he did he would have traded Darian and got some picks or players or both. Instead we will get nothing and Jones will have accomplished what he wanted anyways at the team's expense.

I wouldn't be surprised that he signed Roosevelt as trade bait to the Eskimos for Franklin. I trust nothing that this man will do anymore and for very good reasons.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Franklin starting today...

by StormRider1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Like I said, Jones is an egotistical a hole, From what he said about DD I also think DD was never part of his plans, The Riders had better put the stops to this crap, if DD goes I am sorry but there is not much to cheer about, and no reason to follow his losing team, cuz he has done little to improve it. Reynolds better get his head out of his arse, and put a stop to this madness. I have always said I do and still don't like Jones, he has an ego the size of China and the brains of a peaon. If I was DD, I would not blame him taking his talents else where, I pray he stays here.. but not looking good!!

I'm still pissed over Chick and Dressler!! this will finish it for me until jones is gone!!
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:43 am
Location: Prince Albert, Sask

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests