Riders sign Kalif

Re: Riders sign Kalif

by sparkyjay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am

depopulationINC wrote:
StormRider1 wrote:we hit rock bottom when Jones took over!! this is just one more nail in the coffin!! :oops: :roll: :x :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Personally I don't really care. The guy is a intelligent but totally lacks social grace. I don't think he should be in football because of the things he has done on the field...he should have received a ban by now. As far as what he says away from the game...I don't agree with him but he has the right to voice his opinion and views as long as he is not attacking people...and as unreal as some of the stuff he has put out there has been...he has not done that....that is the B about freedom of speech...the right to it means that people are also going to **** you off. If he is on the tightest of leashes he helps this team just by being on the PR for a while...he will help develop young OLmen

How the hell do you think his tweets are NOT attacking people????? Looks to be an attack on Jewish people or the Chinese... but I guess you don't see it that way either.
Starter

by JimmytheGreek » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:46 pm

sparkyjay wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:
StormRider1 wrote:we hit rock bottom when Jones took over!! this is just one more nail in the coffin!! :oops: :roll: :x :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Personally I don't really care. The guy is a intelligent but totally lacks social grace. I don't think he should be in football because of the things he has done on the field...he should have received a ban by now. As far as what he says away from the game...I don't agree with him but he has the right to voice his opinion and views as long as he is not attacking people...and as unreal as some of the stuff he has put out there has been...he has not done that....that is the B about freedom of speech...the right to it means that people are also going to **** you off. If he is on the tightest of leashes he helps this team just by being on the PR for a while...he will help develop young OLmen

How the hell do you think his tweets are NOT attacking people????? Looks to be an attack on Jewish people or the Chinese... but I guess you don't see it that way either.

Lets face it, Jones is the Fred Shero of the CFL. Yes he may win games but his ethics and means to do so leaves little to be proud of. Pretty sad now as he isn't even winning games and leaving a stain on the team that will not wash off.
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Well no surprise really, Mitchell is not in good enough shape to play. Lol yes what a great plan to bring an out of shape POS onto the team that probably won't be able to contribute for up to a month. Yuppers, way to go Jonesy.

It is starting to look like Jones's grand plan is act first and react later. Don't bother with the minor details though like conditioning or anything significant like that. Lets just tick off a lot of people and tarnish the Rider rep for squat. Then realize this was not going to help the team at all in the near future or probably ever.
All-Star

by bedrock » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Its almost like Jonesy is trying to pi$$ every one off, hopeing that he'll get expelled but still collect on his contract like CC. Good God its going to be a long 3 more years waiting for that to expire.. I appoligise as I don't recall the remaining length of his pay arrangement but its way to long yet. I once had faith in this man, but thats long gone. I would suspect Dressler and the rest of the Bombers will also enjoy a laugh this weekend at the expense of the fans thanks also to Jonesy...
Rookie

by depopulationINC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:25 am

sparkyjay wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

On the Chinese? Did you read it? He clearly stated he did not mean it in an offensive manner because he did not understand that the word was offensive. That seemed sincere to me. He also apologized after learning that it was a derogatory term.

As far as his comments towards Jewish...well...he is clearly stating his opinion on them a lot more specifically things that he feels they have historically done. Is that attacking them? No. Right or wrong he is entitled to his opinion and to voice that and is spreading unfortunate propaganda he has bought into.

Like it or not, it is not illegal to be racist or have racist views, just sad and unfortunate, but people are generally products of their environment....it is not illegal to look down upon a culture, only to attack them...and sorry, but attacking by definition in this situation requires more than words that express opinion....it requires an actual threat. He has never done that.

Why should one not be withheld employment because of their beliefs (besides that being discrimination in itself)...here is something that should not be shocking to most...when you set up walls it does not help the situation...it actually creates a greater gap and the heightened divide generally strengthens one's views. One only has to look at what various forms of mass and individual segregation over history to see what that has generally accomplished.

My wife is Jewish. Her family went through that. I have sat and heard the first hand horror stories myself. Her reaction to this is that she is offended and outraged by the propaganda that he is peddling by it but that he has not attacked anyone in anything she has seen.

It deeply saddens me that there are people that have these views....I do not claim to know the best way to combat that....but I do know creating further divides is not the answer...history has taught me that much. I felt that the CFL took a much more positive approach with the issue when he was in Montreal...unfortunately, that likely did not last long as he was released shortly after.

Jones clearly does understand the can of worms he opened...he was the one who initiated the hour long discussion with the CFL before signing the guy. He was the one who formed the ground with them. While I wish he would have just passed on this because of on-field issues (performance and misconduct) I actually liked his approach to the off-field matters. I also liked what the CFL said with one strike, something Jones was a part of initiating. On the verge of bigger NFL cutdowns...this was a bad move and I don't get it...though having his body on the PR for even a couple weeks will help the OL.

I still believe he may have done this as a bit of an FU to the CFL office...If that is true, that in itself I kinda get a chuckle out of. I am going to assume it is, because I like I a good chuckle.
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:18 am

Depop you know for a fact people have been fired for something they posted in social media before so lets not pretend that just because he doesn't act on something, stating it publicly can get you sacked. If as you said this is Jones's way of thumbing his nose at the league does that give you confidence he has the best interest of the team at heart? He would rather bring a player that lets face it is not exactly a poster boy for good sportsmanship or clean play and no other team would touch him with a 10 ft pole but just because Jonsey has a pout on about getting nailed for such a gross an obvious abuse of the rules, that he puts the teams reputation at risk with some people and groups?

Please for the love of God if that is the reason then he should be fired. If he honestly felt that Mitchell would have been able to play immediately and could help even in the short term until the NFL cuts are available I could at least give him a tiniest bit of credit of trying to make the team better. Since Mitchell is not in shape and can not play then it even makes this move more asinine.
However your probably right and this is Jones's way of trying to tic off the league even more, which probably isn't the brightest move ever either, lets bring even more scrutiny on to the team just for fun, make probably most players uncomfortable with him being here. Lets distract players from trying to gel and be a team to quite possibly blowing them wide apart. Have our head coach have to spend time talking to several religious groups trying to explain this, instead of focusing on winning on Sunday. Tarnish the Rider name for being a class team, all as a FU to the league? Really that is suppose to be funny? I find zero about this as "funny" ha ha lets egg the teachers house because we got caught by them doing something wrong. Yup very funny Jones. How about putting on you big boy pants and take responsibility for what you have done wrong instead of hiding behind Reynolds when asked about the player gate? Nah instead we will pout like a little brat and throw a tantrum and try to think up ways to get "even" with the league Instead of focusing on trying to put players on your team that actually could help you win games and not make you look like a total idiot.

Oh and being Mitchel is a vet if we activate him to play even one game will we not be on the hook for his whole season salary? If that is the case and he does play one and is done then once again even more money just P***** away and all for FU to the league? Wow it sounds like something Jones would do though. Yup we have a winner here boys and girls. Enjoy the joke though, ha ha Jones is really showing the league that he is the king of" gotcha." :roll:
All-Star

by sparkyjay » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:14 pm

On the Chinese? Did you read it? He clearly stated he did not mean it in an offensive manner because he did not understand that the word was offensive. That seemed sincere to me. He also apologized after learning that it was a derogatory term.

As far as his comments towards Jewish...well...he is clearly stating his opinion on them a lot more specifically things that he feels they have historically done. Is that attacking them? No. Right or wrong he is entitled to his opinion and to voice that and is spreading unfortunate propaganda he has bought into.

Like it or not, it is not illegal to be racist or have racist views, just sad and unfortunate, but people are generally products of their environment....it is not illegal to look down upon a culture, only to attack them...and sorry, but attacking by definition in this situation requires more than words that express opinion....it requires an actual threat. He has never done that.

Why should one not be withheld employment because of their beliefs (besides that being discrimination in itself)...here is something that should not be shocking to most...when you set up walls it does not help the situation...it actually creates a greater gap and the heightened divide generally strengthens one's views. One only has to look at what various forms of mass and individual segregation over history to see what that has generally accomplished.

My wife is Jewish. Her family went through that. I have sat and heard the first hand horror stories myself. Her reaction to this is that she is offended and outraged by the propaganda that he is peddling by it but that he has not attacked anyone in anything she has seen.

It deeply saddens me that there are people that have these views....I do not claim to know the best way to combat that....but I do know creating further divides is not the answer...history has taught me that much. I felt that the CFL took a much more positive approach with the issue when he was in Montreal...unfortunately, that likely did not last long as he was released shortly after.

Jones clearly does understand the can of worms he opened...he was the one who initiated the hour long discussion with the CFL before signing the guy. He was the one who formed the ground with them. While I wish he would have just passed on this because of on-field issues (performance and misconduct) I actually liked his approach to the off-field matters. I also liked what the CFL said with one strike, something Jones was a part of initiating. On the verge of bigger NFL cutdowns...this was a bad move and I don't get it...though having his body on the PR for even a couple weeks will help the OL.

I still believe he may have done this as a bit of an FU to the CFL office...If that is true, that in itself I kinda get a chuckle out of. I am going to assume it is, because I like I a good chuckle.[/quote]

Clearly, the naiveté lies with you as well!
Starter

by ed ohmnes » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Maybe we need a spark in the next game, hopefully Kalif is ready to go, we're getting close if the penalties would quit RUINING our games; it"so getting hard to swallow, the command centre .
Starter

by prairiedog72 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:01 pm

This team is NOT close.

Khalif is a very talented putz. In the predicament that the Riders D is in, it's not a bad move, BUT what really bothers me is what the move shows. First it speaks blatant desperation. Second, it shows a real lack of talent on the roster. He's here because they can't find anyone else. Why can't they find anyone else? The Riders were heralded by so many for the supposed scouting blitz that Jones send out in waves across the states this spring. Green and white clipboards out there like a plague. And who did they bring in who has made a difference? Holley just had his first good game, although he probably caused that pick by running the wrong route. Collins is ok, but really hasn't made a huge impact. On defense, anyone?? Eguavoen maybe?

ALL of Sask's impact players are either holdovers from previous regime, or brought in from another CFL club. Durant, Labatte, Fulton, Roosevelt, Bagg, Greg Jones (notice that there's only 1 real impact player on defense).

Cox is starting to come along. If anyone would like to add him to the list I'll hear that. AC Leonard? Not really, no. Capicciotti? Biggest FA bust of the year, probably by a mile. Otha Foster? He's been pretty average, if that. I would have expected his tackling technique to be more consistent at least.

The secondary is a MESS. They scare no one at DT. There is no depth at receiver - at RECEIVER! - one of the easiest positions to throw raw talent at - there is no excuse for this.

The scouting dept has been appalling, and THAT is why Khalif Mitchell is here.
Jones' head on a platter, with a side order of Reynolds. Nothing less.
All-Star

by JimmytheGreek » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Well Khalif is gone. http://www.riderville.com/2016/09/12/riders-transaction-september-12th/

Apparently he couldn't get into game shape and was released for football related issues only. Whatever the reason I don't care just as long as he got his road map and an apple for the trip out of here.

Biggest mistake was even entertaining the idea in the first place. It does make one wonder though if his conditioning in fact was so bad then why even consider him being an option. I think the reality is that outside pressure may have been far more then Jones anticipated and add to the issues he wasn't in great shape so in the end it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Matters not really like I said what the reason was other then the assessment of Khalif's ability to help the team if indeed it was all football related for his release. To think that we would have been on the hook for a whole season salary if he had gotten into even one game, now that is really a scary thought.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:26 pm

...as I indicated...didn't expect him around long term and that it was probably he would be on the PR for a couple weeks then be gone

I think his release was a combinations of a few things...
- not capable....both in endurance and the fact he is simply past his best before date
- he was...IMO...only brought in as a big body to attack the OL in practice...something that seems to have helped a bit as the OL is handling the bullrush a bit better since he was there
- Salary counting and him not getting a lot of reps...not that I think he had a huge chance of playing
- potentially an NFL body coming
- his social media probably played a role in it but would not have been the deciding factor...if it was he never would have been in town
- simply didn't cut the tryout...I mean that is what a PR is for...bringing guys in to see how they do. If he had returned to his prime he would still be around.
All-Star

Previous