2016 Offseason Discussion

Re: 2016 Offseason Discussion

by papazoola » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

wolverine29 wrote:
papazoola wrote:....Denny will be back...I don't see anyone matching our offer and he luvs the Peg....Can't blame him for trying to maximize his dollars considering the time he has left in his career...

I have a nagging feeling he signs with the Argos. Don't know why. They're desperate and they can match or exceed the money we've offered, plus they have a number of open spots that affords him a starting role day 1 whereas here he's probably inactive until there's an injury. And he has some familiarity with Willy, if Willy stays on the roster that is. Who knows what happens if/when they finally hire a GM and HC.

....Could be right....probably his only move to start and get a better deal financially...Heading to a dumpster fire over us is probably weighing heavy on his mind BUT everyone knows 'cash is king' in the end...I'd be very surprised if it isn't his biggest concern and if he does sign on with us...eventually...I'd say he is one heck of a Bomber...through and through..
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Since itinerant CFL contracts aren't guaranteed - the major consideration for Denmark & his agent is the size of the signing bonus (non-refundable)

If Toronto is offering the bomber FA $100k w/ a 40k signing bonus it doesn't matter if the bombers are offering $110k but only providing $15k up front - the $40k wins the day - a differential of $25k just for signing your name is to much to resist.

If everyone shows up healthy at training camp, Stafford, Adams & the 2 smurfs will snag starter spots - plus whatever low-paid hobos the bomber scouts dredge up for $67k to $80k as backups.

However, all of them have injury histories - Dressler is now 31 and he'll be missing games regularly, Adams also got snuffed a couple times, even the reliable smurf Smith misses the odd games.

Denmark might have to do what he did last year - stay in shape after getting released from camp and wait for a need to arise. He'd be one of the first guys called in (by any team) cuz he has knowledge of CFL (bomber) systems and the complexities of coverage, the larger field surface and opposition DB tendencies.

He'll be worth a bit more if a team gets into injury problems!
All-Star

by drummer_god » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Denmark re-signed with the blue and gold.
Hall of Famer

by papazoola » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:07 pm

drummer_god wrote:Denmark re-signed with the blue and gold.

.........and a darn good signing it is...Good to see Clarence back home....a true blue Blue Bomber :thup:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by DAN38 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 am

Besides being a good football player and class guy, Clarence Denmark deserved, no, is owed this latest signing. When he was dumped last year I was not pleased but he did not complain and when he was needed he came back without an attitude and all he did was perform exceptionally. This is the type of man I want on my football team... A great signing that should never have been in doubt. I would have signed him immediately if I were GM. Honour, leadership and HUMILITY are more worthy than passes caught.

I am also pleased at the Lefevour signing. This guy could well prove very valuable. I like his chutzpah.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

Previous