2016 Offseason Discussion

Re: 2016 Offseason Discussion

by papazoola » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

wolverine29 wrote:
papazoola wrote:....Denny will be back...I don't see anyone matching our offer and he luvs the Peg....Can't blame him for trying to maximize his dollars considering the time he has left in his career...

I have a nagging feeling he signs with the Argos. Don't know why. They're desperate and they can match or exceed the money we've offered, plus they have a number of open spots that affords him a starting role day 1 whereas here he's probably inactive until there's an injury. And he has some familiarity with Willy, if Willy stays on the roster that is. Who knows what happens if/when they finally hire a GM and HC.

....Could be right....probably his only move to start and get a better deal financially...Heading to a dumpster fire over us is probably weighing heavy on his mind BUT everyone knows 'cash is king' in the end...I'd be very surprised if it isn't his biggest concern and if he does sign on with us...eventually...I'd say he is one heck of a Bomber...through and through..
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Since itinerant CFL contracts aren't guaranteed - the major consideration for Denmark & his agent is the size of the signing bonus (non-refundable)

If Toronto is offering the bomber FA $100k w/ a 40k signing bonus it doesn't matter if the bombers are offering $110k but only providing $15k up front - the $40k wins the day - a differential of $25k just for signing your name is to much to resist.

If everyone shows up healthy at training camp, Stafford, Adams & the 2 smurfs will snag starter spots - plus whatever low-paid hobos the bomber scouts dredge up for $67k to $80k as backups.

However, all of them have injury histories - Dressler is now 31 and he'll be missing games regularly, Adams also got snuffed a couple times, even the reliable smurf Smith misses the odd games.

Denmark might have to do what he did last year - stay in shape after getting released from camp and wait for a need to arise. He'd be one of the first guys called in (by any team) cuz he has knowledge of CFL (bomber) systems and the complexities of coverage, the larger field surface and opposition DB tendencies.

He'll be worth a bit more if a team gets into injury problems!
All-Star

by drummer_god » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Denmark re-signed with the blue and gold.
Hall of Famer

by papazoola » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:07 pm

drummer_god wrote:Denmark re-signed with the blue and gold.

.........and a darn good signing it is...Good to see Clarence back home....a true blue Blue Bomber :thup:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by DAN38 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 am

Besides being a good football player and class guy, Clarence Denmark deserved, no, is owed this latest signing. When he was dumped last year I was not pleased but he did not complain and when he was needed he came back without an attitude and all he did was perform exceptionally. This is the type of man I want on my football team... A great signing that should never have been in doubt. I would have signed him immediately if I were GM. Honour, leadership and HUMILITY are more worthy than passes caught.

I am also pleased at the Lefevour signing. This guy could well prove very valuable. I like his chutzpah.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by papazoola » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm

.....A lot of pre draft talk going on now...Mocks and speculation starting to pop up...With the no 1 pic overall we stand a very good chance of adding a solid player to our roster...Two of them are o line guys...Gray and Bladek...Gray (hometown kid) figures to be a top choice and depending on his nfl aspirations, he could be our pick at no 1...If he gets a shot down south we could go with Bladek, who is also rated very high...I think we might go receiver at no 6 and this Simonise guy fits the bill orrrrrr Danny Vandervoort, who I've liked from day one..Draft day is a long way off BUT those are my early speculative choices for the first round..

As a little aside...Gray was interviewed by a Regina reporter a little while ago and he came up with this nugget..Now I don't know if he was just trying to schmooze them in riderland but his comment of...; 'I followed the Riders as a kid growing up' made me wonder about his loyalty here...I'd hate to see another Labatte scenario with us vs. them...I think I'll just write off his comment about being a fan of theirs, as bad judgement, and he has now seen the light :lol:
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:29 pm

papazoola wrote:.....A lot of pre draft talk going on now...Mocks and speculation starting to pop up...With the no 1 pic overall we stand a very good chance of adding a solid player to our roster...Two of them are o line guys...Gray and Bladek...Gray (hometown kid) figures to be a top choice and depending on his nfl aspirations, he could be our pick at no 1...If he gets a shot down south we could go with Bladek, who is also rated very high...I think we might go receiver at no 6 and this Simonise guy fits the bill orrrrrr Danny Vandervoort, who I've liked from day one..Draft day is a long way off BUT those are my early speculative choices for the first round..

As a little aside...Gray was interviewed by a Regina reporter a little while ago and he came up with this nugget..Now I don't know if he was just trying to schmooze them in riderland but his comment of...; 'I followed the Riders as a kid growing up' made me wonder about his loyalty here...I'd hate to see another Labatte scenario with us vs. them...I think I'll just write off his comment about being a fan of theirs, as bad judgement, and he has now seen the light :lol:

I think Gray is a smart kid - he's prolly just putting whatever ammunition he can into his contractual pop-gun; knowing that Miller/Walters will low-ball him into humiliation before settling on a higher number. The key with Gray (after he's selected by us, of course) is what is the frequency, Kenneth? ie. how many years can they sign him for - hope its 3, not 2.

As for Simonise - I agree he'd potentially a great canuck WR - decent speed, way above average hands, not prone to the fear factor (like Richards & Etienne) and finally not from a university in Saskatchewan - only good thing coming out of Sasky is the odd hog, not much else.

My dream draft with 1st, 6th & 11th - would be Gray, Simonise & Boateng (the DL)

I might be prone to snag Boateng at #1 or #6 cuz frankly I have my doubts he'll be around at #11 or #12......

and I'd only pick Gray if his potential indicates 'dominant' vs. 'strong'. Current bomber centre is strong but he's nowhere near dominant (ie. an earth mover), Paddy Neufeld is strong but nowhere near dominant. If Gray or Bladek are dominant (or can become dominant within 2 yrs) then #6 pick should be used to snatch one of them.

#1 could be Boateng - cuz all indications are that he can be dominant - imagine the current group being supplemented by Boateng - if he's strong & dominant it would strike fear into most other teams. If he's just a guy who covers turf and grades out semi-well on film then he's like 90% of the hobos bombers have brought into town last 20 years.

Boateng, Gray, Simonise - my picks. Can we fit them all in to our current draft?

Or do we have to trade the #1 pick back for a couple other 1st rd picks (ie #3 & #7) in order to increase our chances of acquiring all 3? :cowboy:
All-Star

by papazoola » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

....We know riders are going to go with the top o line guy at 2...that's almost a certainty as they have a few holes to fill...That will see one of the top rated o line guys off the table almost immediately, then there's the stretch to 6.. UNLESS they trade down to increase their picks...So much can happen on draft day and hard to predict moves...I like your picks Lyle...some solid talent there and Walters is going to have a tough time deciding on who goes no 1....I say we draft the best o line guy at the top spot....then go with the best player at 6, Simonize or Boateng orrr another o line guy like Woods (6ft. 9' monster who has just made it to the top ten)....It's going to get thin at 15 and I hope we don't ever entertain the idea of going off the board in 17'...Those moves have cost us bigtime in the past..
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

Main concern for bombers in 2017 is no longer primarily players. Think Walters has done an above average job and our roster will be good (on paper) and have more depth than ever before. (which is saying something for me)

BIG CONCERN - COACHING

I think its safe to say the bombers may arguable (feel free to argue) one of, if not the worst coaching staff in the CFL.

Losing Wylie (no replacement named to date) and carrying a hobo coach like Rich Hall as your defensive coordinator doesn't exactly ring of confidence.

Buck Pierce as the QB coach - meh! He's been concussed so many times he doesn't know if he's foot or horseback!

Paul LaPolice (aka PLOP) is the one solid stay as OC - he works well with the current QB and knows his way around a chalk-board. Well-liked and respected. Bomber offense will be in the league Top 4 this year.

The jury is still out on Iron Mike O'Shea. Guy is so universally stoic no wonder he needs smelling salts to get out of the gate. Career winning percentage of just over .400 doesn't exactly ring of greatness either. Right now I'd place him as the 2nd or 3rd worst head coach in the CFL. Obviously Maas and the guy in Montreal are the only ones I'd rate as worse.

Wally is still a top head coach. He out-coached O'Shea in the western semi last season.
Dave Dick is Dave Dick.
Corky Jones may be an arzz-clown but he's got some real good ideas on defense and he's open to ideas to improve his offense.
Porky Campbell is suddenly one of the top 2 coaches in the land (Ottawa)
The other top coach is now Trestman.
Arguable who's better between the volatile Kent Austin and the oft-comatose Mike O'Shea. Austin's teams have been knocking on the door for the last few years. O'Shea's times have been trying to find their proverbial jockstraps!
:cowboy:
Not sure where I'd place Jacques Chapdelaine vs. O'Shea? Perhaps about equal? Maybe O'shea gets a tiny advantage cuz he's been a head coach longer!
All-Star

by papazoola » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Main concern for bombers in 2017 is no longer primarily players. Think Walters has done an above average job and our roster will be good (on paper) and have more depth than ever before. (which is saying something for me)

BIG CONCERN - COACHING

I think its safe to say the bombers may arguable (feel free to argue) one of, if not the worst coaching staff in the CFL.

Losing Wylie (no replacement named to date) and carrying a hobo coach like Rich Hall as your defensive coordinator doesn't exactly ring of confidence.

.....I'm a little nervous going with Hall BUT Walters has come up with some decent talent, Nevis and Okpalaugo that will strengthen the middle...a big problem last year...Will it be enough of an addition to make a difference with stopping the run and pressuring the qb....I believe so but will have to see...Everything looks good on paper...Hall has to deliver.....

....As far as losing Wylie, I believe that's fixed...I can't believe the NFL o line coach we just signed... Paul Boudreau ...Some are saying he's better than Wylie and has the resume to prove it...He's been o line coach on 8 different NFL clubs and has coached some top end winners..He looks to be an upgrade and that's saying something when you're talking about Wylie...O Line is in very good hands.... :wink:
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Back to the draft vs. contemplation of the bombers shallow coaching depth.

Would papa (or anyone else) be opposed to trading our #1 overall pick?

Right now - we're drafting at 1, 6 & 15 - and 15 might not get us much as the draft really bends downward at around 13/14.

So the trade. Give BC our #1 for their #3 & #7 - if we can't get them to budge then toss in #15.

If successful we'd have #3, #6, #7 - dropping only 2 positions to get back to back picks at #6 & #7

Could easily achieve Boateng or Eli Menkou @ #3; Gray or Mason Woods #6 and likely Simonize or Vandervoort @ #7.

Geoff Gray has a ton of positives but U of M coaching really lacks at fundamentals - Gray would have to be a #6 or #7 rotational OL while he absorbs basic fundamentals of CFL blocking. Woods, the 6'9" guy might be more game ready. As I've said before the key, obviously technique is important, the real key is whether either or both guys can be dominant and serve as earth-movers vs. just holding their own!

After drafting Gray or Woods - the bombers don't have to worry about the next pick - cuz they'd control it - hopefully snagging Vandervoort or Simonise.

At 1/6/15 they might be able to get 2 of the following into camp (Boateng, Woods, Gray, Simonise, Vandervoort, Menkou) but chances are extremely remote they'd get 3 of the 6.

The 15 pick is only good if you have extensive enough scouting to uncover a diamond. The bombers have no such Canadian scouting thoroughness.

Bombers need to find 3 quality guys cuz of their good luck trading Willy for the #1 overall.

Their d-line was extremely weak last season - Jakey Thomas might be a great rodeo clown but a starter he's not; Boateng might be able to start early in the season, if not Boateng then Menkou.

Canuck WR has been pathetic for years. Hobos like Kohlert & Feoli taking spots by default cuz they're the best available. No insight at the draft board with epic fails like Richards, Etienne and Hair-Braid boy.

O-line always needs addressing. Gray or Woods might do exactly such.

Might also consider bringing Eddy Steele in for a look-see. Guy might have a couple years left in the tank - especially in a rotation-filled d-line system. And more especially if the bombers can't acquire another pick in the 1st round. Steele would be a solid stop-gap for being unable to snag Boateng or Menkou.
All-Star

by papazoola » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:14 pm

.......Lyle,I think the guy you are referring to as 'hair braid-boy' was Kito 'can't catch' Poblah...who went to the leos and is now out of football...Bad pic for sure and Richards is looking very much the same, but we really don't know for sure, cuz he can't stay healthy enough to find out....Having said that I think Walters has a lot more successes than failures ever since sleepy Joe has vacated...I believe he was whispering bad things into Walters ear in the war room and we crashed and burned on a few pics...Have to say that Loffler has been a big hit and has made up enough for a few of those bad choices...Can't win em all in what is virtually a crap shoot...Trading down is a possibility but I think Walters will be looking at quality rather than quantity and he'll stick with the no1,6, and 15....Don't forget we picked Loffler in the latter rounds and it has worked out pretty good so far....I think we have built some depth now and will be looking at 'best player' when our number comes up...Just my guess and I think we'll have a better picture on things when we get a look at a few combines....We just have to stay away from the players who have nfl written all over them...I'm sick and tired of the Mulumba and Bilukudi type picks that are worth nothing..
Hall of Famer

by wolverine29 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Whether Gray likes the Riders or not is kind of irrelevant IMO. After his showing in the US and considering he's having a pro day for NFL scouts, I think it would be silly to take him first overall. Barring a sudden change, his sights are set on the NFL and we shouldn't waste a first overall pick on a futures. Our second pick in the first round? Still a bit high but more reasonable I think. There's a few options but I could see us going with someone who can play DT or add depth to the OL. That's where five of our National starters are, that's where you want to make sure you have the depth I think. Some intriguing names at receiver but Simonise could be back in a NFL camp after being with the Bengals last year before returning to Canada, and no. 1 overall is too high I think for Vandervoort. There's a RB too that could be interesting to add behind Harris, may depend on whether he has any NFL interest.

Four picks in the first 3 rounds - my guess is 3 of those consist of OL, DL, and R.

Doesn't sound like we have the cap room, but if they could fit in Eddie Steele somehow that would completely change the draft outlook. A DL of Westerman/Corney, Nevis, Steele/Thomas, and Okapalago could be a good one.

Walters I think with scored nicely signing another released Eskimo in Morris. FB and special teamer, more than adequate replacement for the departed Jason Tuck.
All-Star

by papazoola » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm

.....Two real nice signings in the last couple of days....Miller and Miles.....Miller a fullback and special teams ace spent 6 yrs. with the Esks. ... picked him up after they released him...Good friend of Nichols who had nothing but good things to say about the guy....Miles a National LB who played the last 3 seasons in T.O., is another real good special teams player and a solid linebacker....I remember last year Mike O saying the game can and will be won with special teams....I would say that were well on our way to having one of the best, or thee best in the league....Great work on Walters part. :thup: :thup:
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:38 am

papazoola wrote:.....Two real nice signings in the last couple of days....Miller and Miles.....Miller a fullback and special teams ace spent 6 yrs. with the Esks. ... picked him up after they released him...Good friend of Nichols who had nothing but good things to say about the guy....Miles a National LB who played the last 3 seasons in T.O., is another real good special teams player and a solid linebacker....I remember last year Mike O saying the game can and will be won with special teams....I would say that were well on our way to having one of the best, or thee best in the league....Great work on Walters part. :thup: :thup:

I like those 2 hires, too! Both guys probably victims of cap-hit scrap-heapin' so the latter term only applies to picking up cuts - bombers can utilize both dudes under the cap, perhaps offering chunky signing bonuses in lieu of slightly lower salary packages. You really want to limit Miles' reps cuz Bill Gates still can't outrun The Flash - Miles is most easily burned off the edge - particularly when he has no support and is unable to use the angle to force the play.

Still nervous about our receivers - good guys but we don't have a breakaway artist like Adarius Bowman or a super-possession guy like S.J. Greene. This trait will force our QBs to throw into smaller windows, relying on precision accuracy - could mean more picks to be sure.

Not sure about how "dominant" our o-line will be. Sure has come a long way since Kyzilla took over for Drowsy Joe. But would you call it dominant? Bond is the one guy I would call dominant but mostly his interior blocking - our other guard (the Canadian) is very good for a two year guy but maybe still NOT DOMINANT. Goose is OK but definitely NOT dominant. Hopefully one of our 3 top picks will upgrade o-line power.

Finally, I'm hoping Nichols doesn't suffer a 2nd year slump. He was near top of the league in many categories last season. If his WRs can't get open - Matt will either eat the ball more often, risking injury and/or turnovers or tossing into tighter windows he'll suffer more picks. Matt looked like a legit #1 QB, almost star quality at times last season (mostly in leadership) but remember he came in to follow up on that disaster mope called Drew Willy. Now his standard for comparison is his first season with the bombers! :cowboy:
All-Star

PreviousNext