Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

Re: Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

by -Hammer- » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Grover wrote:There are 3 MLS teams in our largest markets in Canada, TOR, MTL and VCR
Just in case you didn't know(and you didn't :P ) The MLS Championship game is being played today,
Does anybody care. (crickets!!)
For TFC fans debating MLS vs CFL popularity,I wonder how many avg fans are aware the MLS Cup is today?
Assured everyone knew Grey Cup was on.
The CFL Championship game drew almost 10 million viewers, MLS not so much. :roll:

That's kind of the point though. No one in our country gives a crap about MLS once our three teams get eliminated. Heck, Montreal seems to prefer CONCAAF games over MLS. I can also bet you the Canadian MLB ratings took a nose dive the second the Jays left the playoffs.

If you have Canadian teams, playing other Canadian teams, and teams playing in more then 5 stadiums, then you'd think that would generate more interest, almost by default.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by Grover » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 am

Looks like NASL is on its last legs, no wonder Caretaker wants to invest in a Canadian pro league!

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports 16h16 hours ago Ottawa, Ontario
Minnesota going to MLS. Ottawa & Tampa Bay likely to USL. Fort Lauderdale & Rayo OKC on life support. Feels like 1983 again for the NASL.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:39 am

Grover wrote:Looks like NASL is on its last legs, no wonder Caretaker wants to invest in a Canadian pro league!

Minnesota going to MLS. Ottawa & Tampa Bay likely to USL. Fort Lauderdale & Rayo OKC on life support. Feels like 1983 again for the NASL.

If you listen to Aj jakubec on TSN radio, the USL will probably be made a Div 2 league, right now they are Div 3 and the NASL is Div 2. There are teams in the USL drawing higher crowds and Ottawa and Tampa want to move to the USL.
The NASL is adding San Francisco next year but Minnesota move up to the MLS. NASL is not going anywhere right now.

Teams like Ottawa want to be at the Div 2 level, no talk at about a Canadian league. Maybe the USL with a Canadian division?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/jak ... l-1.571506
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:01 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Grover wrote:Looks like NASL is on its last legs, no wonder Caretaker wants to invest in a Canadian pro league!

If you listen to Aj jakubec on TSN radio, the USL will probably be made a Div 2 league, right now they are Div 3 and the NASL is Div 2. There are teams in the USL drawing higher crowds and Ottawa and Tampa want to move to the USL.
The NASL is adding San Francisco next year but Minnesota move up to the MLS. NASL is not going anywhere right now.

Teams like Ottawa want to be at the Div 2 level, no talk at about a Canadian league. Maybe the USL with a Canadian division?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/jak ... l-1.571506

Funny you should mention no talk about a Canadian league.

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/cs ... gue-launch
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2 ... pdate.aspx

There is buzz right now the question regarding Ottawa is should the NASL not survive to next season, that it's a 50/50 split that they either play in the USL (likely temporarily) or will go dormant for a year and join the CPL in 2018.

As far as USL attendance, for more then half the league, the attendance leaves much to be desired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_USL_ ... Attendance

Only a couple teams are at or better then Ottawa's current NASL attendance.
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:08 pm

I think Bob should get a rugby team in PRO Rugby. Bring back the Tigers.

http://www.prorugby.org/

Teams in Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Denver, Columbus. Expansion rumours for next year include Vancouver, Toronto, New York, Texas team, Midwest team.
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by Grover » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:54 am

steve milton ‏@miltonatthespec 12m12 minutes ago
Reports say #Ticats have registered name #CanadianPremierLeague and two names for Hamilton team in new (2018?) pro #soccer league.

steve milton ‏@miltonatthespec 11m11 minutes ago
Same #soccer reports say #HamOnt would be "flagship" of league. #Ticats
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Yeah, I know a group of us guys are stoked about this league coming to fruition.

@bartonbattalion on twitter
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm no huge soccer fan, but it would be pretty cool to have a Ticats-related soccer team. As long as they're in black and gold!

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by slimjim2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:54 am

jonny24eh wrote:I'm no huge soccer fan, but it would be pretty cool to have a Ticats-related soccer team. As long as they're in black and gold!

The Fury in Ottawa is a REDBLACK-related team and with the same ownership group they do quite a bit of things together in the community. Attendance around 5,500 which is pretty good for a Tier 2 league.
But there are rumblings that Ottawa and a couple of other teams may leave to join the USL. The USL was a Tier 3 league but may become Tier 2.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/09 ... l-Peterson
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 am

jonny24eh wrote:I'm no huge soccer fan, but it would be pretty cool to have a Ticats-related soccer team. As long as they're in black and gold!

The Ottawa Fury will move over to the USL next year. Looks like the big problem with the NASL was the huge expense to travel, they had to fly to a lot of places on the road. The USL will have a lot of teams in the east like Rochester, Montreal a lot less travel time and flying.
Hamilton would be a good fit in that league. Ottawa lost $2 million with crowds of around 5k, I would think that with the cut in travel costs and increase attendance by a couple of thousand they could be profitable.

There were talks of the formation of a Canadian Premier League, but that’s on the backburner for now.

“There still exists a goal, which has been stated by the Canadian Soccer Association, which is to have a national league in the near future,” said Pugh. “At the moment, there is no high-level Canadian professional league. If one was established and it was good for our fans and our franchise, we would look at it. Right now, it’s impossible to say.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/ ... iting-nasl
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

slimjim2 wrote:

The Ottawa Fury will move over to the USL next year. Looks like the big problem with the NASL was the huge expense to travel, they had to fly to a lot of places on the road. The USL will have a lot of teams in the east like Rochester, Montreal a lot less travel time and flying.
Hamilton would be a good fit in that league. Ottawa lost $2 million with crowds of around 5k, I would think that with the cut in travel costs and increase attendance by a couple of thousand they could be profitable.

There were talks of the formation of a Canadian Premier League, but that’s on the backburner for now.

“There still exists a goal, which has been stated by the Canadian Soccer Association, which is to have a national league in the near future,” said Pugh. “At the moment, there is no high-level Canadian professional league. If one was established and it was good for our fans and our franchise, we would look at it. Right now, it’s impossible to say.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/ ... iting-nasl

The biggest problem with the USL is that it's fundamentally MLS's farm league. That alone makes it a tough sell. I know Hamilton has soccer fans in town and the region, but I don't think it has enough fans or casual fans who are interested in a league where TFC 2 (Not Toronto FC who plays at BMO. TFC 2 their farm club who plays out of 3,500 seat Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan) is their primary rival.

I mean 20 of the 31 teams are affiliate farm clubs of MLS teams and don't draw very well. The USL likes to boast it's attendance averages in the 3,000s but the bottom 20 teams average around 1622 in attendance, and three of them can't even average 1,000. Due to the presence of the top 4 teams, one who literally has 16 game season tickets for $75, which sure is a great deal...but doesn't exactly bring in a wealth of cash to the franchise. Frankly more then 2/3rds of the league couldn't survive if their MLS affiliate wasn't paying the bills and while some independant clubs are flourishing (Cinciannti 17,300, Sacaremento 11,500 and Louisville 7,200) others are...well not as Arizona, Harrisburg City and Orange County for example are failing to break 2,000 in attendance.

On the plus side, in recent years they've tried to use it and claim that it is an incubator (when they weren't poaching NASL teams) to bring up clubs into MLS and identify future markets. That may happen for places like Cincinati, Louisville and San Antonio. The downside is that it's doubtful any Canadian franchise would ever get such a promotion (mainly due to the astronomical costs and the lack of TV revenue the MLS clubs bring to the table).

I'd much rather see Hamilton bide its time and wait for a new Canadian league then taking a swing at the USL.
All-Star

by Grover » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 am

I really think that Caretaker has a vision to the future of Canadian soccer, growing the game in Canada by having an all Canadian Professional domestic League that will give Canadian players a League to play at a high level and develop.
If Canada is ever to play in or even host a Soccer World Cup, a FIFA sanctioned Domestic Pro League is a must.
Right now our best Canadian Soccer players are not getting enough playing time or opportunities in the other Pro Leagues, you have to play to get better!
Caretaker also wants to run an elite national soccer academy out of THF, hence the talk of a inflatable dome to cover the field in winter.
I do not think that Caretaker is real interested in the USL, his vision for Soccer in this Country goes well beyond that!
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:52 am

A Canadian league would be WAY better than an American farm league- see OHL vs AHL.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by slimjim2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 am

Grover wrote:I really think that Caretaker has a vision to the future of Canadian soccer, growing the game in Canada by having an all Canadian Professional domestic League that will give Canadian players a League to play at a high level and develop.
If Canada is ever to play in or even host a Soccer World Cup, a FIFA sanctioned Domestic Pro League is a must.
Right now our best Canadian Soccer players are not getting enough playing time or opportunities in the other Pro Leagues, you have to play to get better!
Caretaker also wants to run an elite national soccer academy out of THF, hence the talk of a inflatable dome to cover the field in winter.
I do not think that Caretaker is real interested in the USL, his vision for Soccer in this Country goes well beyond that!

As the Ottawa article stated, one of the biggest problems that the Fury had was the travel time and expenses.
A Canadian only league would likely mean long trips and flying to games.
The article also stated that a Canadian league is just not in the cards.
Nothing wrong with having more Canadian teams in the east and playing in a league with US teams and a lot less travel time and expenses.
The switch to the USL means playing teams in Rochester, Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York, Bethlehem. Seems that would be an ideal league for a Hamilton team too.
All-Star

by Grover » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:22 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Grover wrote:I really think that Caretaker has a vision to the future of Canadian soccer, growing the game in Canada by having an all Canadian Professional domestic League that will give Canadian players a League to play at a high level and develop.

As the Ottawa article stated, one of the biggest problems that the Fury had was the travel time and expenses.
A Canadian only league would likely mean long trips and flying to games.
The article also stated that a Canadian league is just not in the cards.
Nothing wrong with having more Canadian teams in the east and playing in a league with US teams and a lot less travel time and expenses.
The switch to the USL means playing teams in Rochester, Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York, Bethlehem. Seems that would be an ideal league for a Hamilton team too.

Jim, The OTT Fury can do whatever they want, you should read the article you posted,
The Fury GM did NOT say "not in the cards"he said the "CPL League is on the back burner" meaning it could start in 2018, I am sure the Fury will not and cannot wait that long, as he said “At the moment, there is no high-level Canadian professional league. If one was established and it was good for our fans and our franchise, we would look at it. Right now, it’s impossible to say.”

As far as travel expenses is concerned, it is like 16 players on a team, a coach and a trainer, equipment is a pair of shorts and a pair of cleats, the players could use carry on! Of course those big mickey mouse gloves the goal keepers wear may need to go into baggage. no walkthrus like CFL, so they can show up on gameday and leave that night.

Compare travel to CFL, 46 man roster 5 coaches 2 trainers and 2 equipment men, 2 days of hotel and food,
tons of equipment, etc.
All-Star

PreviousNext