Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

Re: Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

by jbticats » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:19 am

No one will go to these soccer games unless it is a MLSE team... and even then expect AHL bulldog numbers. We need Concerts at THF not a soccer team!
Practice Squad

by oo DAWG oo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 am

Soccer has been tried many times always the same result.
And I know some here would go be a fan because Bob Young owns a team or because its called Ti-Cats or have the cats colors.

And the attendance? Some of these leagues are small in numbers always have been always will be it happens when your not the big show and people and cities that host them know this so shouldnt be a surprise.
For instance here in Jacksonville we have a great stadium that could host the NASL team we have but they play in a minor league baseball diamond modified to fit the field because everyone knew the fanbase was small.

Times do change i am aware of that but the past soccer episodes speak for themselves
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:50 am

jbticats wrote:No one will go to these soccer games unless it is a MLSE team... and even then expect AHL bulldog numbers. We need Concerts at THF not a soccer team!

If there is a market for it the fans will come out. Crowds of 5k would be good for a 2nd tier soccer league, if you consider that Canada is a hockey country and we get crowds of 5k for AHL and OHL. No one is expecting the 20k plus MLS numbers that Toronto or Montreal get. Just like the NHL, Hamilton will not get an MLS team but a lower tier league.

More concerts at THF? You aren't going to get too many concerts at THF that would bring in 25k plus, the days of big rock concerts are over.
Most big name acts can play in front of 18k at the arena and if there is high demand like there was for Paul McCartney they put on two shows. Besides THF can only be used in the summer.
All-Star

by bobbythefinch » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 am

Frankly I'd rather see the Tiger-Cats invest their energy and money in developing and growing Canadian gridiron football vs. another sport.
Starter

by Grover » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:58 am

New Canadian pro soccer league makes major hire

In a major step toward its projected 2018 debut, soccer's Canadian Premier League has hired its first official employee.
And, in the Canadian footy world, he's a biggie.
Paul Beirne, who was also the first employee of Toronto FC, is the project manager for the new professional league which he says will start play with "six to 10 teams across the country." Most will be there for the projected league kickoff in 2018, he says, although some might wait until 2019 to begin play.
"It's totally viable (for 2018)," Beirne told The Spectator Monday morning. "I'm just helping sift through what is real and working hard to make it happen."

Beirne says when it comes to potential ownership groups "there's not a lot to talk about", although the Tiger-Cats are in and have a played a significant role in getting the concept off the ground. It's expected that ownership in some other Canadian cities will have either full or partial connection to CFL teams.
It's anticipated that there will be teams in Hamilton, Regina, Calgary and Winnipeg and perhaps Victoria and that the Fury and Edmonton FC will move over to the CPL as well.

The new league will have some form of quota system to ensure that Canadian players have significant opportunities, although the roster ratios and how long an implementation period will be required is not yet known.
Beirne did confirm that potential CPL club owners would have to be deep-pocketed and that there would be a salary cap.
"That, combined with making sure expenses are under control," Beirne said. "Sport is a funny business, you want to maintain a viable business but you also want to win. Owners need to be protected from themselves.
"Expenses will be controlled not just for players but for everything."

more here
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/696 ... ajor-hire/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:26 am

These guys are an enthusiastic bunch, the "Barton Street Battalion" - great to see the enthusiasm.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/709 ... -cheering/
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Good to see. :thup: it would be really nice if we can avoid the animosity they have going down the 401, and all Hamilton fans be friendly even if not necessarily fans of each sport. Rock on Battalion :rockin:
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by -Hammer- » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:47 pm

jonny24eh wrote:Good to see. :thup: it would be really nice if we can avoid the animosity they have going down the 401, and all Hamilton fans be friendly even if not necessarily fans of each sport. Rock on Battalion :rockin:

Hey guys

I'm actually a member of the Battalion and I can say, that's likely not as major a concern. There are a few people in the Battalion who are completely disinterested in Football, but there's no rancor there. A good chunk of the members are actually Ti-Cat season ticket holders or at least occasional game goers as well. If there are any questions you want to float my way, I'll do my best to try to answer them.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by Mark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

-Hammer- wrote:
jonny24eh wrote:Good to see. :thup: it would be really nice if we can avoid the animosity they have going down the 401, and all Hamilton fans be friendly even if not necessarily fans of each sport. Rock on Battalion :rockin:

Hey guys

I'm actually a member of the Battalion and I can say, that's likely not as major a concern. There are a few people in the Battalion who are completely disinterested in Football, but there's no rancor there. A good chunk of the members are actually Ti-Cat season ticket holders or at least occasional game goers as well. If there are any questions you want to float my way, I'll do my best to try to answer them.

And i, for one, am glad that there is no Rancor there.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rancor

Those guys are DANGEROUS!

---------------

PS - Nice choice of word.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Mark wrote:And i, for one, am glad that there is no Rancor there.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rancor

Those guys are DANGEROUS!

---------------

PS - Nice choice of word.

:lol:

I was more referring to

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rancor

noun
bitter, rankling resentment or ill will; hatred; malice.

...but yeah, the Battalion does not as of yet own a Rancor. We haven't let ourselves go far enough yet to be a group of obese gangster slugs, quite yet.
All-Star

by Mark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Might be an interesting Mascot. That would be one team that didn't go in for diving. :D
All-Star

by Grover » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 am

Latest info from Steve Milton on Caretakers fledgling CPL

Ball rolling on professional soccer in Hamilton
By Steve Milton, Mar 17, 2017

TORONTO — The president of Soccer Canada says that "more than 10" potential owners have expressed interest in the impending national professional soccer league, which would include a Hamilton franchise at Tim Hortons Field.

The league, likely called the Canadian Premier League, is endorsed by FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, as a "premier" league. Tiger-Cats "caretaker" Bob Young will own the Hamilton franchise.

"In terms of what (number of teams) we're going to end up at, I don't know," said Victor Montagliani.

"But we want to make sure that that first number, whatever it is, is solid. Some teams might not be ready to come in it in the first year, they might come in the second."

It is not clear whether Soccer Canada will have a proprietary interest in the new league, but it is certain that they have a player-development interest.

"It's been discussed at every board meeting for the last three years, and it will be discussed at this one (next weekend)," said Montagliani who was elected president of CONCACAF, the governing body for the Americas and Caribbean, and will step down as Soccer Canada president in early May.

"We'll make an announcement when we're ready for it. We're quite happy with the progress of it.

"At the end of the day, we've been very clear: We're a sovereign football nation and every sovereign football nation has its own league. It's no disrespect to the leagues that do business in this country … but they are not ours. We have a right to have ours, and for anybody to question that, this might be the only country that might ask that."

At first blush it would appear that Montagliani was referring to Canadian teams (Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto Footbal Club, and Montreal Impact) in the U.S.-based Major League Soccer. TFC president Bill Manning was widely quoted last month emphasizing that his franchise "is very protective of Toronto" and its market.

But, Montagliani, said, "Their statement is that they support (the new league). They've been unequivocal in their support, even in my private discussions with them. I want to state that categorically.

"Their issues might be with some details. Fair enough. You're going to have issues with details even with some owners in the league. I think there's support, not only at the grassroots level, but at the professional level."

There's clear support from Octavio Zambrano, whom Montagliani introduced in Toronto Friday as the new coach of the men's national team program.

"There are a lot of Canadian players, who are peripheral players in the organizations they are currently playing in North America, and Europe as well," Zambrano said. "But they are not playing: they need quality minutes.

"(The Canadian league) would give me some chance to work with the players. As well, we would not have to rely on the MLS players, and what they decide. The Canadian soccer league would make decisions for the benefit of the players and the country, and that is a huge step forward."

Montagliani conceded that the new league is getting short on runway for a 2018 launch, but says it's still possible for it to begin play next year. He considers six the minimum number of franchises required to kick off a season.

No one connected to the league has commented publicly on membership, but it's believed that core franchises would be located in Hamilton, Regina, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton, all CFL cities. The latter two have teams in second-tier U.S. leagues, Ottawa in the USL and Edmonton in the NASL. Other possible locations include Quebec City, Winnipeg and Halifax, which has expressed strong interest. It's also possible that MLS teams would want to enter their development teams in the league.

Montagliani told The Spectator he's more interested in handling the construction of the league correctly than he is in setting a start date.

"We just have to make sure we get it right," he said. "The interest has been tremendous from potential ownership groups, so we want to make sure that we don't close the door on any of that."
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:32 pm

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/28/1 ... s-edmonton

Looks like we are getting closer to seeing a new league start up. I also like to think, if Halifax does end up getting a stadium and doing well in this league, that may be a step towards the mythical 10th CFL team.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:11 am

-Hammer- wrote:http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/28/15086716/original-six-cities-canadian-premier-league-revealed-halifax-documents-edmonton

Looks like we are getting closer to seeing a new league start up. I also like to think, if Halifax does end up getting a stadium and doing well in this league, that may be a step towards the mythical 10th CFL team.

If Halifax gets a stadium it will be to accommodate a soccer team in a league drawing 5k to 10k.
Yes it will be a mythical 10th team. The CFL should be concentrating on keeping the Argos alive and what to do about slumping attendance in Vancouver and Montreal.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:42 am

slimjim2 wrote:
-Hammer- wrote:http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/28/15086716/original-six-cities-canadian-premier-league-revealed-halifax-documents-edmonton

If Halifax gets a stadium it will be to accommodate a soccer team in a league drawing 5k to 10k.
Yes it will be a mythical 10th team. The CFL should be concentrating on keeping the Argos alive and what to do about slumping attendance in Vancouver and Montreal.

The point is, if this soccer league does well and begins to draw in Halifax, it's no stretch to think that expanding a stadium and a CFL team getting put there is out of the question. Regardless, I'm more stoked at the idea of Hamilton getting a soccer franchise and bettering our national team.

Also

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/in ... ld-cup-bid

This joint bid could also result in new stadium infrastructure for Calgary and various other venues.
All-Star

PreviousNext