Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

Re: Whatever happened to the NASL expansion idea

by slimjim2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:37 am

-Hammer- wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:
-Hammer- wrote:http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/28/15086716/original-six-cities-canadian-premier-league-revealed-halifax-documents-edmonton

Looks like we are getting closer to seeing a new league start up. I also like to think, if Halifax does end up getting a stadium and doing well in this league, that may be a step towards the mythical 10th CFL team.

If Halifax gets a stadium it will be to accommodate a soccer team in a league drawing 5k to 10k.
Yes it will be a mythical 10th team. The CFL should be concentrating on keeping the Argos alive and what to do about slumping attendance in Vancouver and Montreal.

The point is, if this soccer league does well and begins to draw in Halifax, it's no stretch to think that expanding a stadium and a CFL team getting put there is out of the question. Regardless, I'm more stoked at the idea of Hamilton getting a soccer franchise and bettering our national team.

Also

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/in ... ld-cup-bid

This joint bid could also result in new stadium infrastructure for Calgary and various other venues.

The joint US, Mexico, Canada World Cup bid makes sense. The cost to run the world cup is ridiculous and FIFA insists on large stadiums. I would think that with the three countries hosting that in Canada it would be the existing cities with MLS teams that have a lot of soccer support, Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.
Montreal already has the 60,000 seat Big Owe, Vancouver with 50k, BMO would probably be expanded to 50k with temp seating.
Calgary doesn't even have a second or third tier soccer team, and no known soccer support.
Edmonton hosted the women's world cup and Commonwealth would be a candidate to host a world cup men's event.
All-Star

by Grover » Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Canada Soccer‏Verified account @CanadaSoccerEN 58m58 minutes ago

The Canadian Premier League has received unanimous support to join Canada Soccer. #CANPL

Canada Soccer‏Verified account @CanadaSoccerEN 56m56 minutes ago

In addition, Hamilton and Winnipeg ownership groups have been accepted as members, unanimously. #CANPL

Canada Soccer‏Verified account @CanadaSoccerEN 10m10 minutes ago
Canada Soccer's newest members #CANPL, Hamilton and Winnipeg.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by cats99 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:51 pm

:thup: live soccer my other football , great to have a multi use stadium sign me up for season tickets my same seats please! Great News!

TFC, Chicago Fire FC , FC Bayern, Die Mannschaft ****
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
All-Star

by Grover » Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 am

Statement from Caretaker

PROFESSIONAL SOCCER IS COMING TO HAMILTON!

Ticats Staffby TICATS STAFF| MAY 6, 2017

Fellow Hamiltonians,

Today is an historic day for soccer fans, aka footie followers, in our country. Almost every Canadian has played soccer at one time or another, now we will have our own league to cheer for and for our kids to aspire to play for*.

The leadership of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has shown outstanding commitment to its vision for the future of soccer in Canada with the decision to ratify the Canadian Premier League (CPL) today.

The CPL will fill the existing void in the national Canadian soccer development platform by operating a top level professional league, both on and off the field. The CSA and the CPL’s shared commitment is to foster the development of Canadian players.

Most importantly, I’m really excited the Canada Soccer Association has approved Hamilton’s application to become an official member of the CSA. This approval allows our Hamilton team to apply and join the CPL at the appropriate time. When that time comes, our club will play out of Tim Hortons Field, which has proved to be a world-class soccer stadium and has consistently provided a best-in-class live viewing experience for all of its events. The stadium successfully hosted a Canada Women’s National Team game back in 2015 and all men’s and women’s soccer games at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games.

This day is only possible thanks to the unwavering support of soccer fans across Canada, such as our own Barton Street Battalion supporters. They have tirelessly drummed up interest and support locally (and nationally) for the CPL and Hamilton’s future soccer club over the past 15 months.

This is just the beginning of the fun and excitement to come! We’ll share the details of Hamilton’s professional soccer club in the coming weeks. We will be working with Canada Soccer and its many members, sponsors, fans, followers and supporters as all of us together work to make the CPL into one of the most entertaining and progressive footie leagues in the world.

Until then, visit http://www.hamiltonprosoccer.ca to become a Hamilton CPL fan.

Cheers,

Bob

Caretaker, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (the other football club in Hamilton)

*With three daughters myself, I’m only too aware that there isn’t (yet) a Canadian women’s professional soccer league.

http://ticats.ca/professional-soccer-is ... -hamilton/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Sun May 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Glad for it to become official, hope it is a resounding success.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by cats99 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

What are the next steps in the process and what would be the projected start of a pro team in Hamilton ?
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
All-Star

by PatLynch » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm not a big soccer fan but I do have a rule suggestion for the new league. When you play your championship game, do not end a tied game with a shootout. Man up and play the real game till there's a winner!

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Here's a survey about the new league, don't know if there will be much interest here but I figured with Hamilton in as a founding team I'd post it (not mine, was posted on the soccer forum).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBQ56BS
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by slimjim2 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 am

PatLynch wrote:I'm not a big soccer fan but I do have a rule suggestion for the new league. When you play your championship game, do not end a tied game with a shootout. Man up and play the real game till there's a winner!

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

The problem is that when a championship game is tied they go to two 15 minute halves and it's after that if there is no winner there is a shootout.
You can't really compare with other sports like hockey, soccer players would have been running around for Two hours.
They don't run off and on the field as the play goes on to get a rest, only 3 subs allowed in a 2 hour game.
You can't compare with football either since the game could be won in overtime without scoring a touchdown.
I could make the criticism that football OT should never be decided with a wimpy FG, play until there is a real score a TD.

Interesting that there is going to be a Soccer friendly in Regina at the new Mosaic, July 22nd, NY Cosmos playing the Italian team Valencia FC. Trying to guage interest in Sask for soccer.
Kind of strange that the North American team would be the NY Cosmos. The Cosmos are not even in the MLS they are in the Tier 2 league - the NASL

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/732 ... ue-milton/
Last edited by slimjim2 on Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by PatLynch » Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 am

Play the game till there's a winner. NHL players play 82 games with coast to coast travel and then play up to 28 playoff games in a season. Don't even try to suggest that soccer players walking for 2 hours is comparable.
A real championship game should be played till there is a real winner, not some phony shootout conclusion.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am

PatLynch wrote:Play the game till there's a winner. NHL players play 82 games with coast to coast travel and then play up to 28 playoff games in a season. Don't even try to suggest that soccer players walking for 2 hours is comparable.
A real championship game should be played till there is a real winner, not some phony shootout conclusion.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

But what difference does it make to you? you already said you are not a soccer fan and you would never attend a soccer game. Besides soccer follows FIFA rules and you don't make up your own rules.

I hate hockey I think it's ridiculous that they have a shootout too in Olympic rules. I also think it's stupid and boring that the NHL plays 7 games to decide a series and that a team could get into the playoffs and play 28 games before winning the Stanley Cup.
But neither rules will change and since I hate hockey and I think hockey is one of the most boring sports on the planet, I don't really care, and the millions that love hockey don't care either.
All-Star

by Palmer » Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 am

Have to agree with Pat on this one. In last year's MLS Championship, the big game of the season, Seattle won the game and the league title on a shoot-out, without having taken one shot on goal throughout the game and overtime. That's no shots as in zero, nil, nada. That's like those useless "world cup" hockey games where the defending team just lines up 5 players in front of their goalie and lets the other team try to shoot the puck through a maze. Mohammed Ali called it the "rope a dope". Same philosophy, and deadly for viewer rating and ticket sales for the North American fans.

Let them play until they drop. Maybe then the players will at least try to score. When they are not too busy pretending to be "fouled" with non-existent contact and fake injuries.
Veteran

by rcon » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 am

Ti-Cats fans should be upset that the soccer team will be ruining the field with soccer lines!!!! :wink:
All-Star

Previous