Ticats/City of Hamilton Stadium Talks Thread

Ticats/City of Hamilton Stadium Talks Thread

by mr62cats » Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 am

From today's Spec and also the Toronto Star:

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/775787

The Mayor also admits if the province adds more money to expand the stadium it could be a "deal clincher."
All-Star

Good grief !.... what is the Mayor up to now?

by deerhunter » Wed May 26, 2010 5:02 am

This is puzzling as to why he was in Toronto yesterday making these kinds if statements to the media when there is supposed to be an agreement in place to not discuss this stuff publicly while the facilitator is trying to do his job.

Aside from that, does anyone know what the he seems to be up to? I thought he said previously that investors were lining up ? Now he wants more provincial money ?.......for what?.....the West Harbour?

With all due respect, this sounds like desperation and a clear undermining of the facilitation process.

:roll:

Mayor looks to premier if Pan Am site talks drag on

Toronto Star
(May 26, 2010)
Mayor Fred Eisenberger says if council and the Tiger-Cats can't agree on the location of the city's new stadium for the Pan Am Games and beyond, Premier Dalton McGuinty should wade into the dispute.

(some excerpts)

"But Eisenberger said, with the clock ticking toward the 2015 Games, the premier should speak up if talks continue much past the city's latest deadline, July 8, for agreement on a site."

and

"The mayor said the west harbour site fits Ontario's "Places to Grow" strategy that stresses urban intensification over sprawl."

and

"If we don't come to terms that fits the Pan Am vision and the city vision and the Places to Grow vision, I would expect that the province would step in at some point and say: 'This is the right thing for Hamilton, get on board,'" Eisenberger said."

and

When asked if the province offers cash to increase the size of the stadium -- a projected additional $30 million to $50 million is needed to bring it up to 25,000 seats -- could be a "deal clincher" with the money-losing CFL team, Eisenberger nodded and quietly said: "Yes."

click this link to read entire article

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/775787
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum fly-over - Labour Day Classic 2012
Two great organizations coming together to honour our veterans and give the fans a thrill.
As the woman in the video says: AWESOME !
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=444337692283760
All-Star

Re: Mayor looks to Premier if Pan-Am site talks drag on

by AKT » Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 am

I didn't read the post but I assume it included the link to the Spec article
http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/775787

Curious he'd make that pronouncement before serious talks have really begun. Gotta believe he's clued in that there isn't any money coming to complete the stadium he wants

The mayor said the west harbour site fits Ontario's "Places to Grow" strategy that stresses urban intensification over sprawl.

and

"If we don't come to terms that fits the Pan Am vision and the city vision and the Places to Grow vision, I would expect that the province would step in at some point and say: 'This is the right thing for Hamilton, get on board,'" Eisenberger said.

When asked if the province offers cash to increase the size of the stadium -- a projected additional $30 million to $50 million is needed to bring it up to 25,000 seats -- could be a "deal clincher" with the money-losing CFL team, Eisenberger nodded and quietly said: "Yes."
All-Star

by BigPOlish » Wed May 26, 2010 5:27 am

Indeed but if he can squeeze more money out of McGuinty hats off to him. Saves Bob from opening up his wallet and we still get our stadium.
Stand up for our City! No Future Funds for Osmington's next strip mall! Tell your city you want your stadium at West Harbor! http://www.ourcityourfuture.ca/OR HAVE IT PRIVATELY FUNDED
Starter

by ronfromtigertown » Wed May 26, 2010 6:34 am

No class at all. Is Mayor Fred running scared, now?

Could it be that Mayor Fred has no business case
for the Rheem facotory site and no business partners?

I will give ya' 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

When asked if the province offers cash to increase the size of the stadium

...could be a "deal clincher" with the money-losing CFL team,

Eisenberger nodded and quietly said: "Yes."

He should be embarrassed.

He's been spinning his wheels on the Rheem factory site all this time.

There is no solid ground under it, Fred, no commercial developer!

They wouldn't want a "mom and pop" store on that isolated property,

let alone risk 10's of millions on a large commercial/stadium complex.

You know bob's good reasons for not wanting the stadium there.

I am going to give you a piece of advice now. For the last time, listen up.

It's about the stadium's legacy stupid, not your legacy

unless you want as your legacy a failed stadium.
God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.
"
All-Star

Re: Good grief !.... what is the Mayor up to now?

by mr62cats » Wed May 26, 2010 6:35 am

deerhunter:

My apologies for starting a new thread when you had already posted this.
I woke up early and missed it after my morning glance at the online papers.
All-Star

by deerhunter » Wed May 26, 2010 6:54 am

So, because Fred doesn't have any of his previously mentioned investors or developers after all, he now wants the Ontario taxpayers to pony up yet another $50-60 million to make a 30,000 seat stadium that will still have no tenant.......this is getting beyond bizarre............did he make some sort of deals concerning the West Harbour that we don't know about?.....maybe with the Sopranos? Yes, I am joking about the Sopranos, but something strange seems to be driving him....he appears to be desperate and is clearly ignoring the agreed upon gag order between the City and the Ticats .......I hope the facilitator is noticing his seemingly rogue behavior.
Two great organizations coming together to honour our veterans and give the fans a thrill.
All-Star

by mr62cats » Wed May 26, 2010 6:57 am

BigPOlish wrote:Indeed but if he can squeeze more money out of McGuinty hats off to him. Saves Bob from opening up his wallet and we still get our stadium.

BigPOlish: I agree.
Perhaps the Mayor has seen the writing on the wall re the discussions with Mr Fenn and has decided to make his next move quickly as the only way to end the stalemate. Time is running out.

I, for one, would not object to having my out of town provincial and Fed tax money (probably about 18 dollars and 96 cents) go towards a paid up stadium for Hamilton if it keeps the Tiger-Cats in town.

Especially after reading that the G-20 summit in Huntsville a month from now could top 900 million just for the security costs. And it's only a 48 hour meeting!!
Last edited by mr62cats on Wed May 26, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by deerhunter » Wed May 26, 2010 6:57 am

mr62cats wrote:deerhunter:

No big deal.........if the mods want to delete this one and keep yours alive, I'm good with it :)
All-Star

by mr62cats » Wed May 26, 2010 7:02 am

deerhunter wrote:

"................I hope the facilitator is noticing his seemingly rogue behavior."

deerhunter: That may not be a problem. If I recall correctly....in the Bill Kelly-Michael Fenn interview recently, Mr Fenn said something about not having any problem with public comments being made. He ruled out making comments himself on the strategies that he could use during the talks.
All-Star

by mr62cats » Wed May 26, 2010 7:08 am

deerhunter wrote:
mr62cats wrote:deerhunter:

No big deal.........if the mods want to delete this one and keep yours alive, I'm good with it :)

Deerhunter: Mods????
It's open season now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All-Star

by Earl » Wed May 26, 2010 7:29 am

Well maybe onknight was right when he talked about an arbitrator and the arbitration process better than a facilitator, if needed of course. And what's nice about an "arbitrator" like the premier is that he's an "arbitrator" who can pony up more cash! That works. :wink: :thup:
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by Earl » Wed May 26, 2010 7:36 am

Well maybe onknight was right when he talked about an arbitrator and the arbitration process better than a facilitator, if needed of course. And what's nice about an "arbitrator" like the premier is that he's an "arbitrator" who can pony up more cash! That works. :wink: :thup:

posted in the other thread also
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by CaptainKirk » Wed May 26, 2010 7:40 am

deerhunter wrote:This is puzzling as to why he was in Toronto yesterday making these kinds if statements to the media when there is supposed to be an agreement in place to not discuss this stuff publicly while the facilitator is trying to do his job.

But when Bob Young does, you wrote, "Bob Young isn't playing games, but is being classy and fair enough to serve gentle notice that he is not happy right now........would you rather he hit people across the head with a 2X4 to wake them up?"

There was a whole thread about Bob Young's comments made on the eve of Micaheal Fenn being named facilitiator and no one criticised him for " making these kinds if statements to the media when there is supposed to be an agreement in place to not discuss this stuff publicly while the facilitator is trying to do his job"
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55369

Personally, I don't care if either makes comments, but if one is going to criticise one party for doing it, then that same criticism should be directed to the other party as well.

So should bob Younmg's comments about leaving the Tiger-Carts leaving Hamilton be characterized as, "With all due respect, this sounds like desperation and a clear undermining of the facilitation process." ?
Hall of Famer

by CaptainKirk » Wed May 26, 2010 7:48 am

deerhunter wrote:So, because Fred doesn't have any of his previously mentioned investors or developers after all, he now wants the Ontario taxpayers to pony up yet another $50-60 million to make a 30,000 seat stadium that will still have no tenant

it works both ways. Bob Young has no site or investors either, and at thi spoint seems totally dependant on the $102m of public money.

Since the city and the Tiger-Cats have differing agendas, I sumit, yet again, that the financing formula set out by the Pan Am Games committe ( or the province, or whome ever) is flawed because it is not working.

There must be a different fianancial arrangment for this to work for both sides.

Extra provincial money would seem to be a big step in the right direction, if not the solution.
Hall of Famer

Next