He's Back!!!

Re: He's Back!!!

by ottawacat » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Palmer wrote: "........ the Cats are doing something allowed within the rules, sort of like Toronto did with Kackert (?) acting as their strength coach until he was healthy enough to resume a position on the active roster. I don't see it as sketchy, .........

Exactly.
All-Star
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:35 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by Lennywasout » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Veteran
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: He's Back!!!

by Grover » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Absolutely love it, Fantuz can help coach the receivers while rehabbing, collect a big paycheck while on staff and then sign a minimum $ cfl contract when ready to play! :rockin:

And it is already okayed by the League.

Derek Taylor ✔ @DTonSC
I'm told the CFL approved the hiring, the salary and is fully aware.
2:56 PM - 18 May 2017
Image
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by Slomojo2005 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Slimjim still doesn't know what he is talking about. Andy will be playing before Slimjim's brain de-scrambles enough for him to say "great move Cats". Great news Cats.
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: He's Back!!!

by slimjim2 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 am

Slomojo2005 wrote:Slimjim still doesn't know what he is talking about. Andy will be playing before Slimjim's brain de-scrambles enough for him to say "great move Cats". Great news Cats.


Why can't you just debate and express your opinion without the childish name calling?

Why will Andy be playing "before my brain de-scrambles"? I don't get that one at all.
The article clearly says that recovery from an ACL will take 12 months. Unless you know something ?

As I said earlier - he won't be contributing as a receiver until after Labour Day and no guarantee that he will be a starting receiver again.
If the Ticats think he can be a "co-ordinator of player development" - good for them maybe he will stay in that job for the whole season.

Also what is wrong in having an opinion that the Ticats will have the worst receiving corps in the East this season?
It may hurt some feelings on here but again it's "IMHO" based on looking at all the rosters.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: He's Back!!!

by stevehvh » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am

I think there are several rather over-the-top comments in this thread.

Signing Andy Fantuz as a coaching supplement pending his hoped-for return as a player is a neat move. Whether it makes us instantly better is not proven. Will he be a strong asset as a co-ordinator/ coach? I hope so, and feel confident about that, but not certain. Will he ever return as a player, and return in pre-injury form as a starter? I hope so, but have no idea really. If not, would his presence as a backup for depth make him a good asset on the roster? Sure, unless there's someone better when the time comes. Would he be a good assistant coach if his playing days are over? I guess that's one for Kent Austin to decide.

As for the relative strength of our receivers compared to other teams in the east, we have some known good ones but some unknowns too. To me, that doesn't prove we'll be the best, or the worst. Slimjim is entitled to his opinion. I think he's a bit premature in making his declaration about that at this stage. He definitely messed up and undermined his own argument when he described Tyms as a backup Canadian. That aside, maybe our receivers will have a great year, maybe not. Some of their effectiveness will certainly be determined by the health and performance of our quarterbacks.

I feel good about our prospects. It should be a very interesting year in the east. There are questions around every team. Can Ottawa repeat last year's performance? Can Hamilton rebound? Can Montreal recover some stability? Can Toronto improve under their new leadership? I look forward to seeing it play out.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star
 
Posts: 2517
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:01 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by bobo82 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Also what is wrong in having an opinion that the Ticats will have the worst receiving corps in the East this season?
It may hurt some feelings on here but again it's "IMHO" based on looking at all the rosters .


Okay fair enough , so let's take a look at all four Eastern team's rosters in regards to the receiver position heading into T.Camp . The list is based on "IMHO" who I would consider each team's top 6 receivers are currently on their roster :

Hamilton.......Terrence Toliver , Luke Tasker , Brian Elliott , Brian Tyms , Junior Collins , Brandon Banks

Ottawa..........Greg Ellingson , Kenny Shaw , Brad Sinopoli , Diontre Spencer , Tori Gurley , Juron Criner

Montreal........Earnest Jackson , Nik Lewis , BJ Cunningham , Sam Giguere , Tiquan Underwood , Devon Bailey

Toronto.........S.J. Green , Jeff Fuller , Devon Wylie , Brian Jones , DeVier Posey , Khalil Paden

So there ya have it everybody . I did just like Slim supposedly did when he said he based his opinion on supposedly looked at all the rosters , I've just done the exact same thing . So please judge for yourselves on "IF" Jim actually did bother to look at all the rosters or as usual is just talking out of the other side of his arsehole and making it all up as he goes along . :roll:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS
12,13,15,28,29,32,43,53,57,63,65,67,72,86,99

Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: He's Back!!!

by my home team » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am

"How can he make the team better?
They don’t even know if he will be able to run again and if he does get healthy he can't help the team until the second half of the season.
I think they are desperate after not signing Vandervoort, it was supposed to be a shoe-in to sign Vandervoort.
If they had picked up Vandervoort they would never have re-signed Fantuz"


An experienced, productive veteran will always make the team better...don't know why you can't comprehend that...

I'm sure Kent and his staff have been communicating with Fantuz and the doctors...and thus have a much clearer picture on his injury and return.

I don't think ANYONE described Vandervoot's drafting by Hamilton as a "shoe in".

There's no guarantee if Vandervoot will even start in this league, let alone be able to replace a talent and veteran like Andy Fantuz.

I get your skepticism, but let's not take it to extremes.
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:10 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by tcmike » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am

Happy to have Andy back, he will be back on the field in no time I am sure. Most likely the second half of the season. For all we know he asked for this type of role while rehabbing. To think he is done is a total misjudgement. He is 33 not 43
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:56 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by ExPat » Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 am

bobo82 wrote:Hamilton.......Terrence Toliver , Luke Tasker , Brian Elliott , Brian Tyms , Junior Collins , Brandon Banks

Ottawa..........Greg Ellingson , Kenny Shaw , Brad Sinopoli , Diontre Spencer , Tori Gurley , Juron Criner

Montreal........Earnest Jackson , Nik Lewis , BJ Cunningham , Sam Giguere , Tiquan Underwood , Devon Bailey

Toronto.........S.J. Green , Jeff Fuller , Devon Wylie , Brian Jones , DeVier Posey , Khalil Paden


HAM: Tasker and Toliver are proven, and very good. Lots of upside for Tyms, who showed well but had very limited reps and has to be considered unproven. Banks can change the momentum of a game at any time but has not been used much as a receiver for whatever reason.

OTT: Looks pretty solid. Not as good as the last couple of years, but no real weaknesses. Sinopoli clearly the best NAT receiver in the conference.

MON: I predict Jackson will do well, but not as well as last season when he had such a great supporting cast to divert the attention of defences. Others seem to be middling talents. Sammy a perennial underperformer. Nik getting old.

TOR: Kind of troubling. All hopes pinned on SJ's successful return from a major injury? Fuller was good a couple of years ago, may regain form.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 3489
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:34 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by Grover » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

Then there is this! :?

Scott Mitchell‏
@ticatmitchell
Just to be clear, you cannot pay a player some exaggerated front office salary, activate him & save cap space with a minimum salary. #ticats
Image
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by Grover » Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am

From Fantuz news conference


Marsh Verified account @TSN_Marsh 7m7 minutes ago
#Ticats Fantuz, "It's not the most serious injury I've had but it's certainly the longest recovery. I know when to pull back & push forward"


Marsh Verified account @TSN_Marsh 9m9 minutes ago
#Ticats @andyfantuz on signing a contract not tied to playing, "I wanted to be here, I wanted to help this team. No timeline yet" #CFL


Marsh ‏Verified account @TSN_Marsh 10m10 minutes ago
#Ticats @andyfantuz on progress from ACL, "I'm already running around, starting to do some controlled cutting" #CFL

Marsh ‏Verified account @TSN_Marsh 12m12 minutes ago
Fantuz on player development role, "rehab is my top priority but I'll help in every way I can outside that (film, prep, etc) #CFL

Marsh Verified account @TSN_Marsh 3m3 minutes ago
#Ticats Head Coach Kent Austin on the unique nature of @AndyFantuz signing, "we wouldn't have done this with just about anyone else" #CFL

Image
Image
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

Re: He's Back!!!

by tabbiefanmcb » Fri May 19, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm really pleased to see this arrangement which I see as a win/win for both Andy and the team. :thup: :thup: :thup:
He has a deep knowledge of the offense and can help the younger players get up to speed more quickly. He'll be able to work with the receivers as a group or with players one on one (according to his presser) in whatever capacity is most beneficial. He could also be a help to Ptaszek who probably is still not as versed in the offense after one year as Andy would be after five years (including the one year he worked with Austin in Saskatchewan). He may be able to give some insight from a player perspective that could help with game planning. He's under contract with the Ticats and can't be poached by any other team when he is ready to play again - hopefully in the stretch run. He has a close connection with Austin - one of the reasons that they came up with this solution.

The league has no problem with this arrangement or it wouldn't have become a "done deal". Anyone who still has questions about this should listen to the pressers that are now posted on the Ticats site.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7884
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 10:17 am
Location: Orillia

Re: He's Back!!!

by cats99 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm

A class act who can help on and off the field :thup:
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Section 114 Golds Row 2!

Re: He's Back!!!

by FenderGuy69 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:02 am

stevehvh wrote:I think there are several rather over-the-top comments in this thread.

Signing Andy Fantuz as a coaching supplement pending his hoped-for return as a player is a neat move. Whether it makes us instantly better is not proven. Will he be a strong asset as a co-ordinator/ coach? I hope so, and feel confident about that, but not certain. Will he ever return as a player, and return in pre-injury form as a starter? I hope so, but have no idea really. If not, would his presence as a backup for depth make him a good asset on the roster? Sure, unless there's someone better when the time comes. Would he be a good assistant coach if his playing days are over? I guess that's one for Kent Austin to decide.

As for the relative strength of our receivers compared to other teams in the east, we have some known good ones but some unknowns too. To me, that doesn't prove we'll be the best, or the worst. Slimjim is entitled to his opinion. I think he's a bit premature in making his declaration about that at this stage. He definitely messed up and undermined his own argument when he described Tyms as a backup Canadian. That aside, maybe our receivers will have a great year, maybe not. Some of their effectiveness will certainly be determined by the health and performance of our quarterbacks.

I feel good about our prospects. It should be a very interesting year in the east. There are questions around every team. Can Ottawa repeat last year's performance? Can Hamilton rebound? Can Montreal recover some stability? Can Toronto improve under their new leadership? I look forward to seeing it play out.


Excellent post! :thup: :thup: :thup:
All-Star
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests