Spencer Watt Cut

Spencer Watt Cut

by schmenger » Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Spencer Watt has been released. Mike Jones or Aprile will take his spot at Z?
Starter

Re: Spencer Watt Cut

by mightypope » Mon May 15, 2017 6:45 pm

schmenger wrote: Mike Jones or Aprile will take his spot at Z?

Or more than likely they will go with an all import receiving corps.
All-Star

by Grover » Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 pm

According to Dunk, The Cats were trying to trade Watt before the draft

"The Ticats were shopping Watt before the 2017 CFL draft, but found no one will to part with assets due to the salary he commanded on his deal at the time."

http://www.3downnation.com/2017/05/15/t ... ncer-watt/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by ottawacat » Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 am

While checking his stats (21 catches as a TiCat) http://ticats.ca/players/158162
I noticed this statement about an accomplishment, while playing for TOR: " ..... Became the first player in CFL history to record a touchdown and kick the ensuing convert." That's gotta be wrong. I'm sure there were more, but the first name that comes to mind is that of #75, pictured, as always, with mightypope's comment above.
All-Star

by blackandgld » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 am

ottawacat wrote:While checking his stats (21 catches as a TiCat) http://ticats.ca/players/158162
I noticed this statement about an accomplishment, while playing for TOR: " ..... Became the first player in CFL history to record a touchdown and kick the ensuing convert." That's gotta be wrong. I'm sure there were more, but the first name that comes to mind is that of #75, pictured, as always, with mightypope's comment above.

I am sure Lumsden (Dad) would have done it too.
All-Star

by ExPat » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

I really thought Watt was going to be one of our National starters. While underused, he generally delivered when the ball came his way. The fifth receiver spot in our offence seems to be largely a decoy role anyway, so it's not clear why we "need" an import to play the decoy role. (Then again, by that same reasoning, I suppose any of the other National receivers on the offence could also be a decoy.)

My main worry is that we don't have much wiggle room. If we are counting on four NAT starters on defence, then an injury to any of them could throw our ratio out of whack. When Butler and then Stephen went down last year we didn't have enough NAT players to step in, and had to alter the ratio elsewhere on the field. On D-line, however, it appears we are well covered.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:45 am

ottawacat wrote:While checking his stats (21 catches as a TiCat) http://ticats.ca/players/158162

No possible way that Watt was the first to do it , not a chance even , not even close . I'm not sure about Coffey being the first to achieve it BUT a fast check of the record books shows that Coffey in his 14 yrs in the league had totals of 65 career TD's and 204 career converts . The stats don't lie and even if he wasn't the first to actually do it Coffey most certainly did it many times over long before Watt ever came along .

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by mightypope » Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am

Just off the top of my head, Ches McCance who played with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the late '30's and Montreal Alouettes in the late 40's, certainly accomplished that feat, but it might even go as far back as Hugh Gall who played in the first Grey Cup game for the U of T Varsity Blues.
All-Star

by Palmer » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am

Is it possible that the release is a way of bringing him back at a lesser salary? Not saying that Spencer was a key cog by any stretch, but he did play at least a part of most games? Just seems a weird situation given the loss of Fantuz and Coates, and the lack of experience with Aprile and Jones.

Granted he played the decoy in most alignments, but someone obviously did not respect his pass catching abilities, whether it was the OC or the QBs or both, to throw him the ball very often.
Veteran

by Grover » Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 am

According to Loonie Cap he was making at minimum $100K/yr or more and also has a lengthy injury history.
Start Jones or Aprile,(both play Special Teams) and sign Fantuz with that $100K
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 am

Grover wrote:According to Loonie Cap he was making at minimum $100K/yr or more and also has a lengthy injury history.

Right now Hamilton has the worst receiving corps in the east. Every team except sask has better receivers than Hamilton.
Why would they sign Fantuz with that $100k when he's not expected to return until at least August and no guarantee that he can even run.
All-Star

by mightypope » Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Right now Hamilton has the worst receiving corps in the east. Every team except sask has better receivers than Hamilton.

Toliver, Tasker, Elliott, Tyms, Collins and Banks are worst receiving corps in the East?? I say slimjim2 knows SFA about football!!!
All-Star

by Grover » Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Grover wrote:According to Loonie Cap he was making at minimum $100K/yr or more and also has a lengthy injury history.

Why would they sign Fantuz with that $100k when he's not expected to return until at least August and no guarantee that he can even run.

Why??
Because he is one of the very few NAT Receivers in the League that actually deserves and has earned a 6 figure salary.
All-Star

by Lennywasout » Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am

mightypope wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:

Toliver, Tasker, Elliott, Tyms, Collins and Banks are worst receiving corps in the East?? I say slimjim2 knows SFA about football!!!

Slim just doesn't like Fantuz....ignore him. :thdn:
He's such a "Negative Nelly" :rockin:
Veteran

by bobo82 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 pm

mightypope wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:

Now , now Pope , Jimbo might be onto something here . :roll: BUT alas I think NOT !!!! :)

Yup , let's take a look at the situation in the East when it comes to each teams receiving corps shall we..........

I mean Toronto with maybe a healthy Green along with Who , Who , Who and Who as starting receivers are in great shape :roll: . Watch for Who to have a breakout season this year , although I'm not sure which Who it will be . :)

The Alouettes are just a tad bit ahead of Toronto considering they have Jackson , Lewis , Who , Who and Who as their starting 5

The REDBLACKS are definitely ahead of the Alouettes , light years ahead of Toronto and maybe just slightly ahead of us with Ellingson , Sinopoli , Shaw , Spencer and Gurley .

So when it comes to being worst as I see it we stand no worse than maybe 2nd best in the division . In fact you could even say that the REDBLACKS right now are #1 -A and we are just ever so slightly behind them at #1 -B and then way below these two would be Montreal sitting at #3 and then even farther down the ladder way below the Als bringing up the rear in dead last would be that team that nobody bothers to watch that plays at BMO . :D
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

Next