Connor Mc Gough 4th pic

Re: Connor Mc Gough 4th pic

by tabbiefanmcb » Mon May 08, 2017 7:53 pm

ottawacat wrote::) Some positive thoughts:

This year, the Cats' first pick, at #4, was #20 in the final pre-draft rankings.
Last year, their first pick, at #3, wasn't even in the top 20 final rankings and nobody's complaining, now, about that choice of Brandon Revenberg.

I like the similarity between Revenberg and this year's 2nd HAM pick, Braden Schram, in that they both played at every spot along the OL in college.

It was unfortunate for Hamilton that, through the choices made by other clubs, they didn't get to select one, if not both, of the players they hoped would be available at #4 and #13.

When you look at the 20 top-ranked list, 19 were drafted and only 3 clubs got more than 2 of those players -- EDM with 4, and one or two of them may stick in the NFL -- WPG with 3, one of whom may play in the NFL -- and HAM, most likely IMO to have all three of their to 20 ranked picks at training camp.

If you listen to Austin, they DID get their top ranked player in McGough and planned to pick him above Vandervoort. They'd wanted to trade for a second first round pick to try to get Danny but of course he went much faster than they probably expected. They'll just have to try to woo him back to Hamilton when/id he hits free agency which I think they could do (if they want/need to of course) if Ptaszek remains as the OC.
All-Star

by BYF » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 pm

ottawacat wrote:I like the similarity between Revenberg and this year's 2nd HAM pick, Braden Schram, in that they both played at every spot along the OL in college.

So Schram did play at centre? So now we may know whose name will be listed immediately below Filer's on the depth chart, where Girard's name was?

It's good to have versatile players in the lineup. And I recall TSN making the same point that LeStaf made about the University of Calgary being an OL factory. And maybe our scouts who were at THF during the Vanier Cup game like what they saw from him and McGough.

McGough may not have been rated as high as other prospects, but maybe one or more other teams also thought he was underrated and would have taken him in the first round. And you know how sometimes players who get hyped up leading up to draft day can disappoint and players who are under the radar can do quite well. Some players picked in later rounds can go on to be "steals" and I wouldn't be that surprised if Scarfone turns out being one.

You can't be sure exactly how well a team did on draft day until years later. But I suppose fans will be happy shortly after draft day as long as what gets done on draft day makes sense to them. And if you want to read an article that makes sense of what was done, you can read this: http://3downnation.com/2017/05/08/anoth ... ats-covet/
Yes, I am that "BobYoungFan" guy. :)
Veteran

by tabbiefanmcb » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 pm

If one has listened to Austin and other coaches often enough, one has to know that while talent is definitely important, they are also looking for other qualities in the players that they draft (or sign as free agents) - things like high character, good work ethic, love of football, good fit in the locker room and of course in their schemes, and versatility. The most talented player available isn't going to be successful (or maybe worth the pick) if he isn't coachable, has poor work ethic and can't get along with others in the locker room (think someone like Duron Carter).

BYF - I agree that Scarfone just may be a "sleeper" pick! And yes the results of the draft take some time to assess completely.

Looking forward to seeing how this crop of players develop over time.
All-Star

by ticat1 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:55 am

Great post tabbiefan.
Starter

by vjcos » Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 am

It's nice to see that all the Armchair Scouts and Coaches are alive and Lurking , give it rest fellas the powers to be get paid for coaching and Scouting.
Let them do their jobs.
Starter

by ExPat » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

vjcos wrote:It's nice to see that all the Armchair Scouts and Coaches are alive and Lurking , give it rest fellas the powers to be get paid for coaching and Scouting.
Let them do their jobs.

Shall we shut down the forum then?
All-Star

by Mark » Tue May 09, 2017 6:38 pm

ExPat wrote:
vjcos wrote:It's nice to see that all the Armchair Scouts and Coaches are alive and Lurking , give it rest fellas the powers to be get paid for coaching and Scouting.
Let them do their jobs.

Shall we shut down the forum then?

Oh heavens yes. I was about to comment on something here and then realized that it just wasn't my job. My, my, my.... :oops:
All-Star

by Palmer » Tue May 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Let them do their jobs.

Just as a point of interest, every Ti-Cat fan posting on this forum has won just as many Grey Cups in Hamilton as has the present coaching staff. Indeed, we have won as many Grey Cups since 1999 as have all the Hamilton coaching staffs since that year. So I guess we are just as qualified to comment on the selections made as are the "powers to be" who are "paid for coaching and Scouting"?

Just a point of interest.
Veteran

by Krisiun » Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Sometimes a really high draft pick bolts for the NFL or ends up being a complete bust. Maybe a kid like McGough is a diamond in the rough who who will actually stick around. Tillman and Austin are not dummies and have decades of experience in recognizing talent.
All-Star

by ottawacat » Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 am

From a Halifax newspaper, a nice article on the Cats' third round pick:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/146 ... 91.twitter
All-Star

by Grover » Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 am

ottawacat wrote:From a Halifax newspaper, a nice article on the Cats' third round pick:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/146 ... 91.twitter

Okafor is absolutely sculpted

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Let them do their jobs.

Qui fait vivre cette équipe? Oui, ce sont ses partisans. Aussi, je crois qu'ils ont quelque chose à dire sur ce qu'ils voient de l'équipe qu'ils encouragent avec leurs visionnements et leurs achats. Sans eux, il n'y a pas d'équipe, et tout ce beau monde pourra se chercher du boulot ailleurs, si compétents soient-ils. Et ce ne sera pas différent ailleurs.

Vous pourrez dénigrer qui vous voulez, cette réalité sera toujours là.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by PatLynch » Thu May 11, 2017 5:14 am

LeStaf has a wonderful way with words and ideas. Thanks for sharing, here on the TiCat site. :D :D :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by ottawacat » Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 am

No surprises reported from the Giants' minicamp, attended by McGough:
http://3downnation.com/2017/05/13/no-ca ... mini-camp/
All-Star

Previous