Brett Maher cut by Browns already...

Brett Maher cut by Browns already...

by MakeTheCFLGreatAgain » Tue May 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Maybe he re-signs here again. Let see what happens...
Practice Squad

Re: Brett Maher cut by Browns already...

by blackandgld » Tue May 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Welcome back Brett!!
Maybe just a little early...
All-Star

by NZFan » Tue May 02, 2017 6:26 pm

That was one cold brown 'cuppa coffee served up. :oops:
Rookie

by Grover » Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 pm

He knows the winds at THF, I say welcome back at a reasonable $$$ contract

Have him compete with Castillo at camp

His problems started when his holder(Tasker) missed the last third of the season with injury.
and then his backup 2nd holder(Fantuz) went down at the end of the season.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/02/forme ... ed-browns/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Palmer » Wed May 03, 2017 7:38 am

Grover wrote:He knows the winds at THF, I say welcome back at a reasonable $$$ contract

Have him compete with Castillo at camp

His problems started when his holder(Tasker) missed the last third of the season with injury.
and then his backup 2nd holder(Fantuz) went down at the end of the season.

Absolutely. It seems more and more with the kicking game, that you only get what you pay for. "Better is better" and this is a good opportunity to see who is better.
Veteran

by TommyBoy1 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 am

I don't like when receivers are holders. I think it should be a back up QB. Receivers are bound to miss time over 18 games (especially Tasker and Fantuz). Back Up QBs are less likely to be injured. Receivers can also be winded from the previous play etc.

Also, it gives you more options for fakes and broken plays having a QB there.
All-Star

by Mark » Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am

TommyBoy1 wrote:I don't like when receivers are holders. I think it should be a back up QB. Receivers are bound to miss time over 18 games (especially Tasker and Fantuz). Back Up QBs are less likely to be injured. Receivers can also be winded from the previous play etc.

Also, it gives you more options for fakes and broken plays having a QB there.

I agree completely here. 3rd string QB position if possible.
All-Star

by blackandgld » Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Best man for the job to be a holder IMO. If the starting receiver is better than the 3rd string QB at being a holder done deal or vice versa.
FGs are a tough enough job without having the best placement that you can have from a holder.
I can't even tell you who held for FGs down the stretch when Maher started to fade. It could have been the 3rd string QB.
All-Star

by Grover » Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm

blackandgld wrote:Best man for the job to be a holder IMO. If the starting receiver is better than the 3rd string QB at being a holder done deal or vice versa.
FGs are a tough enough job without having the best placement that you can have from a holder.
I can't even tell you who held for FGs down the stretch when Maher started to fade. It could have been the 3rd string QB.

1. Tasker - injured week 14
2. Fantuz - injured week 19
3. 3rd string QB Mattews
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by PatLynch » Wed May 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Maher's holder could have been, like most NFL teams, the punter. Doug Flutie didn't need a holder when he kicked for the Patriots. Yes, bring back the dropkick!

I saw Maher's problem as being his punting. Early in the season he took too many steps that led to blocked kicks. His directional kicks went out of bounds between the 20s and we were penalized. His on side kicks were less than stellar. The Browns didn't seem to be too impressed with him and remember they are the Browns!

Maybe he might be better this year but we need to look at lots of kickers. Cat fans have been spoiled with Cam Fraser, Bernie Faloney, Joe Zuger, and the Wizard of Oz. Like my first wife said, "why settle for average when good is available?" :lol:

Pat Lynch (the old self-deprecating guy)
All-Star

by stevehvh » Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm

And don't forget Sudsy, Tommy Joe, and Bernie Ruoff, all great place kickers. Nobody touches Joe Zuger as a punter in my books.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Grover wrote:
blackandgld wrote:Best man for the job to be a holder IMO. If the starting receiver is better than the 3rd string QB at being a holder done deal or vice versa.

1. Tasker - injured week 14
2. Fantuz - injured week 19
3. 3rd string QB Mattews

How hard is it to hold a football while someone kicks it? you practice with the kicker over and over again.
Tasker held the ball for him for 14 weeks, then Fantuz held it for another 5 weeks.
Did all his misses occur when Mathews was the holder?
All-Star

by ottawacat » Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Everyone on the published roster of 74 signed players has, as of May 19th, now been issued a jersey number, with the exception of Cleshawn Page and Jeremy Stewart who are both listed as "0."
#6 hasn't been assigned. Can we read something into that?
All-Star

by blackandgld » Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm

ottawacat wrote:Everyone on the published roster of 74 signed players has, as of May 19th, now been issued a jersey number, with the exception of Cleshawn Page and Jeremy Stewart who are both listed as "0."
#6 hasn't been assigned. Can we read something into that?

I think i know....Marquay McDaniel is coming back
Or is there another #6 you were referencing :wink:
All-Star

by Mark » Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 pm

stevehvh wrote:And don't forget Sudsy, Tommy Joe, and Bernie Ruoff, all great place kickers. Nobody touches Joe Zuger as a punter in my books.

I agree that to many of us Joe was the best ever. In today's day and age he might not get a look because of his style. Joe was all about quickness and distance. Today it's height and placement. In my mind he would ace these qualities as well if he gave it a shot but it sure gives room for the debates between us old guys and all the young 'uns.
All-Star

Next