TIGER-CATS SIGN FOUR INT. DB'S

TIGER-CATS SIGN FOUR INT. DB'S

by Grover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 am

TIGER-CATS SIGN FOUR INTERNATIONAL DEFENSIVE BACKS

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that the football club has signed four international free agent defensive backs, including Will Hill, Isaiah Lewis, K.J. Morton and Cheatham Norrils.

Hill, 27, appeared in 50 National Football League games over four years with the New York Giants (2012-13) and Baltimore Ravens (2014-15), registering 221 combined tackles, four interceptions, two interception return touchdowns, 14 passes defended, three forced fumbles and one sack. The 6-1, 228-pound native of Jacksonville, Florida, went undrafted in 2011 out of the University of Florida before signing as a free agent with the Giants on May 14, 2012. He also spent time with the Arizona Rattlers in the Arena Football League.

Lewis, 25, spent time in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2015. The 5-10, 211-pound native of Indianapolis, Indiana, originally signed as an undrafted free agent, attended training camp and played in three preseason NFL games with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2014. Prior to turning pro, Lewis played 53 games with 40 starts at safety over four seasons (2010-13) at Michigan State University, posting 227 tackles, eight interceptions and 26 passes defended with the Spartans. His 158 interception return yards rank 10th in MSU history.

Morton, 26, spent the 2016 season with the Arizona Rattlers in the Arena Football League. The 5-10, 190-pound native of Macon, Georgia, played 31 games starting 29 times at cornerback over three seasons (2011-13) at Baylor University. He collected 156 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, eight interceptions, 17 pass break ups, four forced fumbles and 1.5 sacks in his career with the Bears.

Norrils, 23, attended mini-camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2016. The 6-0, 195-pound native of Toledo, Ohio, played 34 games starting 24 times at cornerback over four seasons at the University of Toledo from 2011 to 2015. He accumulated 133 total tackles, three tackles for loss, three interceptions, seven pass break ups and two forced fumbles. Norrils was redshirted in 2014 to retain his senior eligibility and missed the entire season due to illness.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

Re: TIGER-CATS SIGN FOUR INT. DB'S

by schmenger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm

No kicker, DT or linebacker?
Starter

by blackandgld » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:10 pm

schmenger wrote:No kicker, DT or linebacker?

If the team goes 3-4 no additional DTs required. Big if.
Kicker will be easy to fill...punter i am concerned about.
They recently signed LB Kavell Conner, he looks like a player. 6 year NFL vet. Maybe our next Larry Dean.
All-Star

by 2ez » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Will Hill is the real deal, he just has off the field issues which I hope he sorts out. If he can keep his nose clean he will be an absolute steal.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2015/9 ... o-football

Was rated one of the best safeties in the NFL by Pro Football Focus just two years ago...Ravens just couldn't deal with the negative PR after the Rice scandal and had to cut ties asap

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/balt ... use-031616

He unfortunately had four suspensions in the NFL so no team will likely touch him ever again at his age...I am hoping him signing here is a sign he still wants to make things right in football with all the talent he has. Never too late for people to change, just hope he is willing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1gTeqXYWI

Flukey play, but one of my favourite in Ravens history...won my pool at work because of that play on MNF :D
Veteran

by PatLynch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 am

@ 2ez That flukey play started with the Cats draft pick, Brent Urban, blocking the kick. Small world after all! :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:22 am

As soon as I saw the name Will Hill I knew it wouldn't take long for a reply post from 2ez :D :rockin:

For those of us that can't speak or understand Spanish , here is the same clip of that blocked FG return TD from Hill in English :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkjOrYv1Gk

Here is another clip of Hill making a beauty hit WWE style :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1w5TEKFXrU

Hill predicting his own int on the sidelines . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QFRWvcRrmM

No audio for this one but watch Hill absolutely blow this guy up on specials , freeing up the PR for a nice long run and return. The hit occurs at the 16 sec mark of the video . Hill is #31 for the Giants . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVacDdHZdg
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:36 am

bobo82 wrote:As soon as I saw the name Will Hill I knew it wouldn't take long for a reply post from 2ez :D :rockin:

For those of us that can't speak or understand Spanish , here is the same clip of that blocked FG return TD from Hill in English :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkjOrYv1Gk

Here is another clip of Hill making a beauty hit WWE style :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1w5TEKFXrU

Hill predicting his own int on the sidelines . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QFRWvcRrmM

No audio for this one but watch Hill absolutely blow this guy up on specials , freeing up the PR for a nice long run and return. The hit occurs at the 16 sec mark of the video . Hill is #31 for the Giants . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVacDdHZdg

Sounds like you guys have found yourselves a Johnny Manziel to play safety! :D

"The Ravens parted ways with Hill because he failed a drug test and is facing a 10-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, a source informed of his situation told NFL Media's Ian Rapoport. It's the fourth time Hill has ran afoul of the NFL's substance abuse policy since entering the league in 2012."

"The 26 year old's on-field play was up and down in Baltimore, ranging from big-hitting plays to boneheaded blown coverages."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -violation
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by PatLynch » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:44 am

"It's the fourth time Hill has ran afoul"? Cant nobuddy right in good english no more? If that is a Rapoport quote, then Ian needs to try a refresher course or Coles Notes - Grammar Simplified.

Pat Lynch(the old guy)
All-Star

by of course » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:50 am

The signing of Hill, a very experienced import who can obviously step right in and start at safety for us if he avoids being suspended again, strongly suggests to me that the team is looking at moving Craig Butler (starter)/Nick Shortill (backup) to the LB spot that was a revolving door of imports last year.
Starter

by 2ez » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 pm

of course wrote:The signing of Hill, a very experienced import who can obviously step right in and start at safety for us if he avoids being suspended again, strongly suggests to me that the team is looking at moving Craig Butler (starter)/Nick Shortill (backup) to the LB spot that was a revolving door of imports last year.

Me and bobo were talking bout this, another theory we came up with was Hill at linebacker. He is the perfect size and the SS in the Ravens defence play at the line of scrimmage a lot or close to it, I actually think he'd be a menace at linebacker in the CFL. But you're on the right track, Butler could be on the move to linebacker.

I will add in that I have my doubts it'll pan out due to his history, but one thing I don't doubt is his talent. I probably watched him more than anyone on this forum I imagine, and you don't have to believe me, but he is a pro bowl calibre safety in the NFL, just a guy who can't play by the rules off the field for whatever reason.
Veteran

by canadianfootballfan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm

I would wager that Hill will play HB. That's the hardest defensive position to play.
Veteran

by bobo82 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:I would wager that Hill will play HB. That's the hardest defensive position to play.

I'm thinking that you would probably lose that wager . The Cats might have arguably and potentially the best 2 man inside combo at HB in the entire league this season . I honestly can't see anyone barring any unforeseen circumstances beating out either Abdul Kanneh or Emanuel Davis as starters for the inside spots in the secondary this season .

2ez wrote:
of course wrote:The signing of Hill, a very experienced import who can obviously step right in and start at safety for us if he avoids being suspended again, strongly suggests to me that the team is looking at moving Craig Butler (starter)/Nick Shortill (backup) to the LB spot that was a revolving door of imports last year.

Me and bobo were talking bout this, another theory we came up with was Hill at linebacker. He is the perfect size and the SS in the Ravens defence play at the line of scrimmage a lot or close to it, I actually think he'd be a menace at linebacker in the CFL. But you're on the right track, Butler could be on the move to linebacker.

I will add in that I have my doubts it'll pan out due to his history, but one thing I don't doubt is his talent. I probably watched him more than anyone on this forum I imagine, and you don't have to believe me, but he is a pro bowl calibre safety in the NFL, just a guy who can't play by the rules off the field for whatever reason.

Like the above quote from 2ez says the two of us had a discussion about Hill and we both agree and think that Hill might just be the right fit at the ever revolving SAM lb vacancy for this season . I guess we will all have the answers as to where Austin sees everyone fitting in on this years defence when T. Camp commences and opens FINALLY in approx a month and a half from now. One thing though is for sure and that is that it would appear the team has a lot of options and flexibility ratio wise in how they figure out the who's , why's and where's when it comes to finally nailing down the puzzle of the starting 12 on this years defence. :D

All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

@ bobo

The nickel is often a HB. Though if Reinbold goes with a 3-4 defense, like some suspect, then Hill could be that 4th LB. He's certainly big enough.
Veteran

by bobo82 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm

canadianfootballfan wrote:@ bobo

The nickel is often a HB. Though if Reinbold goes with a 3-4 defense, like some suspect, then Hill could be that 4th LB. He's certainly big enough.

Yes he certainly does have the right size indeed . Taking a quick scan at the current DB's on the roster and Hill is the biggest one of the bunch clocking in at 6' 1", 228 lbs which ironically is the exact same size in height and weight as WILL lb Simoni Lawrence . I have to admit I haven't really considered a 3 - 4 defence for this season but looking at the personnel on the roster as it stands right now it's definitely intriguing and very much doable .

Potential 3 - 4 projected Starting Defence

DE...........John Chick
NT..........Ted Laurent
DE..........Adrian Tracy
WLB.......Simoni Lawrence
MLB.......Larry Dean
MLB.......Kavell Conner
SLB........Will Hill
CB.........Courtney Stephen
CB.........Cleshawn Page
HB........Emanuel Davis
HB........Abdul Kanneh
S...........Craig Butler

All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:55 pm

bobo82 wrote:
canadianfootballfan wrote:@ bobo

Yes he certainly does have the right size indeed . Taking a quick scan at the current DB's on the roster and Hill is the biggest one of the bunch clocking in at 6' 1", 228 lbs which ironically is the exact same size in height and weight as WILL lb Simoni Lawrence . I have to admit I haven't really considered a 3 - 4 defence for this season but looking at the personnel on the roster as it stands right now it's definitely intriguing and very much doable .

Potential 3 - 4 projected Starting Defence

DE...........John Chick
NT..........Ted Laurent
DE..........Adrian Tracy
WLB.......Simoni Lawrence
MLB.......Larry Dean
MLB.......Kavell Conner
SLB........Will Hill
CB.........Courtney Stephen
CB.........Cleshawn Page
HB........Emanuel Davis
HB........Abdul Kanneh
S...........Craig Butler

I like that D, and I wouldn't be shocked if they signed Hill as the potential new SAM, since he is indeed the perfect size for a CFL OLB.
Veteran

Next