CFL Commissioner Jeffrey Orridge to step down

Re: CFL Commissioner Jeffrey Orridge to step down

by project.legacy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Grover wrote:
HfxTC wrote:In the CFL the Commish is a phoney titled anyway. He's really a glorified Office Manager.

A glorified manager that pulls in a $1M/yr salary. :wink:

IIRC, Orridge's deal was reportedly around the $750k range. There were a bunch of tweets about it at the time of his hiring. Hopefully it's been posted in one of the forums/threads around here.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 am

project.legacy wrote:
Grover wrote:
HfxTC wrote:In the CFL the Commish is a phoney titled anyway. He's really a glorified Office Manager.

A glorified manager that pulls in a $1M/yr salary. :wink:

IIRC, Orridge's deal was reportedly around the $750k range. There were a bunch of tweets about it at the time of his hiring. Hopefully it's been posted in one of the forums/threads around here.

He was hired as a CEO and he was an executive at the CBC and also ran another company at the same time so I would have to agree that they would have to pay him at least $750k to $1 million. He was the guy that negotiated the CBC rights to the Olympics and also with FIFA for the World Cup, they would have paid him a lot of money to lure him to the CFL.
All-Star

by Slomojo2005 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 am

slimjim2 wrote:
ticats28 wrote:Pinball

Great motivational speaker but they need a business person with contacts that can also negotiate TV contracts, advertising, marketing etc

Look for Chris Rudge. Aka Vancouver Olympics COC Chief Op Officer and former Argo Pres..... maybe retirement is still mot in his cards.
Rookie

by project.legacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
project.legacy wrote:IIRC, Orridge's deal was reportedly around the $750k range. There were a bunch of tweets about it at the time of his hiring. Hopefully it's been posted in one of the forums/threads around here.

He was hired as a CEO and he was an executive at the CBC and also ran another company at the same time so I would have to agree that they would have to pay him at least $750k to $1 million. He was the guy that negotiated the CBC rights to the Olympics and also with FIFA for the World Cup, they would have paid him a lot of money to lure him to the CFL.

Again, while I'm not 100% sure, I do recall the numbers continually being brought up between $750k to $1 million. IIRC, base was around the $750k range, plus some bonus incentives. In either case, Orridge is gone, but hopefully the League will pay the next Commish around the same range, as it will help potentially bring in some top end type of people.

IIRC Cohon's deal was reportedly around the $550k range, and a big sticking point in his 3 year extension was that Cohon wanted more money, of which the Governors were rumoured not to be crazy about unless it was added incentives.
Starter

by BigJoeM » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Cohon was worth every penny that's too bad .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:42 am

BigJoeM wrote:Cohon was worth every penny that's too bad .

Cohon had a pretty good resume too:

Head of international marketing for the NBA and Major League Baseball International as head of corporate development, before becoming President and chief executive officer of AudienceView Ticketing, a company which sells ticketing systems and services to sports, arts and entertainment events.
He was head of Canadian recording artists, which ran the Junos. His family founded McDonald's Canada so I assume he has taken that over too.
Just like Orridge he is a US and Canadian citizen.

I'm expecting someone with similar resumes, they will be probably paid in the $1 Million dollar range. I doubt it will be anyone from the football world, it will be an Orridge, Cohon type person.
All-Star

by cats99 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 am

Need Pinball in that seat !
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

cats99 wrote:Need Pinball in that seat !

No, but maybe hire him as head of CFL Marketing & Promotion.
All-Star

by stevehvh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 am

I like Pinball. He's a great character and supporter of the CFL. But he's not the person for the commissioner's job.

He may be a great motivational speaker, but I think that time has passed him by. I haven't heard anything from him for quite some time. He is listed as a special advisor with the Argos, but I don't know what, if anything, he actually does.

There was a time when he was touted seriously as a potential candidate for mayor of Toronto. No one has spoken of that for years.

The CFL needs a serious executive with excellent media industry relationships and negotiating skills. Pinball could be some sort of league ambassador, but that skill is probably most needed with the Argos, where he is right now.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

Previous