Cats Canadian content and depth heading into the draft

Re: Cats Canadian content and depth heading into the draft

by ExPat » Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 am

The fact that we drafted so many D-linemen leads me to reach two possible conclusions:

1) (seems likely) Austin is planning to start two Nationals on the D-line this year. I would have thought both would be at DT, given that we have two solid Americans at DE. However, Austin commented about McGough possibly backing up Capicotti.

2) (speculative) Maybe Austin anticipates that 2017 could be Ted Laurent's last year with the team and wants to groom a successor. Ted takes a big bite out of the free agent budget, and finding a nearly-as-good replacement for a lot less money would allow us to allocate funds elsewhere.
All-Star

by PatLynch » Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 am

I agree that the Cats appear to be developing 2 starting Canadians on the Dline. Laurent and Atkinson could be the starting D tackles with Gill, Vaughan, and Okafor in reserve. McGough is probably a depth guy at D end, along with Cappicotti. Chick and Tracy are locks at starting D ends.

Other than McGough on special teams, the Cats didn't seem to draft any of the usual linebackers for kick coverage. With the emphasis on Oline and Dline in the draft, I assume the special teams are good to go, with the exception of a kicker. I noticed the Bombers took the kid from the U of Montreal.

If we eventually get 2 or 3 starters from this draft, I'd be happy. Butler, Stephen, Laurent, and Atkinson give us 4 starting Canadians on D and Filer, Bomben, and Revenberg are 3 on the Oline. The various sub packages can add to the Canadian content with Prime, Spencer Watt, Timmis, Daly, or Shortill .

In Austin and Tillman we trust! :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by Grover » Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this draft. Would have loved Vandervoort, but he was gone! :(

Team building starts from the lines out and with 3 DL and 2 OL, that is what we got. :thup:
Dennis McPhee is probably the best DLine Coach in the League, these 3 guys will have a great chance to succeed!

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by ottawacat » Mon May 08, 2017 12:54 pm

I wonder if the Cats might give thought, now, to adding the only unpicked player (#17) among the 20 top-ranked in last night's draft. Whether he’s in Guelph, or at home in Welland, he’s not far away.
He seems to be “our type”:
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/comparison ... augustine/
And, he impressed at the combine:
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/25/combine-hi ... augustine/
If this "home town" team doesn’t give a training camp chance, I expect another will.
All-Star

by BYF » Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm

This team did seem to focus on the D line during this draft, perhaps drafting more DLs than they needed. But it is quite possible that Okafor could get moved over to the O line. So if you wanted more to be done about that line, keep in mind that Okafor might have been drafted with possibly being moved there in mind.

Moving Girard from the D line to the O line worked out well. On the other hand, moving J.P. Bekasiak there did not. But we'll see what they do from here.
Yes, I am that "BobYoungFan" guy. :)
Veteran

by tabbiefanmcb » Mon May 08, 2017 8:31 pm

blackandgld wrote:
Grover wrote:Hamilton Tiger-Cats‏Verified account @Ticats 9h9 hours ago

3 DL
2 OL
1 WR
1 RB

I sure hope they were't looking for help on Special Teams with this draft...5 out of 7 guys can't run.

I heard in an interview with Tillman on Tatti and Marsh that McGough (I think) can play special teams and quite possibly Thomas-Erlington and Scarfone would be special teamers. I can't imagine that the coaching staff wouldn't have that covered so maybe it wasn't seen as an area of great need.
All-Star

by tabbiefanmcb » Mon May 08, 2017 8:36 pm

BYF wrote:This team did seem to focus on the D line during this draft, perhaps drafting more DLs than they needed. But it is quite possible that Okafor could get moved over to the O line. So if you wanted more to be done about that line, keep in mind that Okafor might have been drafted with possibly being moved there in mind.

Moving Girard from the D line to the O line worked out well. On the other hand, moving J.P. Bekasiak there did not. But we'll see what they do from here.

Certainly that's a possibility as he has little football experience and is seen as more of a project with a great deal of potential. There's also the possibility that they are looking to the future to replacing either Chick or Tracy (my guess would be Chick as Tracy certainly seems to have entrenched himself in the community and is younger) in another year wit Cappicotti and McGough playing one of the DE spots. What seems to be important to the Ticats is having lots of ratio options and I think that they've managed to accomplish that.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 am

bobo82 wrote: I'll list them by position with projected starters bolded and possible potential starters in Italics depending on how the team decides to work the ratio . Looking at the list we can see where we might need some bolstering and also where we appear to be in good shape and finally where we stand in regards to what positions look to be needing upgrading and added depth.

UPDATED LIST after Draft....

I've placed an asterisk (*) beside who I'm projecting to be a part of the opening day active roster (21 act / 1 res), that is of course hopefully barring any unforeseen injuries .

With the way the draft went it's looking more and more likely that our ratio will break down probably something along these lines depending on how the team wants to work out the SAM , SAFETY and CORNER positions :

3 O-LINE - Filer -c / Bomben - g / Revenberg - g
2 D-LINE - Laurent - dt / Atkinson - dt
1 S /SAM - Butler
1 CB / S - Stephen

Offence (17 players )

rb.....Mercer Timmis *
rb....Sean Thomas- Erlington ( 2017 draft selection 8th rd - 66th overall)
fb..... "C.O. Prime" *
fb.....Felix Fauber-Lussier (rookie)
wr....Giovanni Aprile
wr.... "Spencer Watt" *
wr....Mike Jones *
wr....Matt Uren
wr...Jacob Scarfone (2017 draft selection 6th rd - 47th overall )
ol.....Mike Filer *
ol.....Ryan Bomben *
ol.....Brandon Revenberg *
ol.....Landon Rice *
ol.....Everton Williams (rookie)
ol....Braden Schram ( 2017 draft selection 2nd rd - 13th overall ) *
ol.....Brett Golding ( 2017 draft selection 7th rd - 58th overall )

ls.....Aaron Crawford *

Defence ( 17 players)

de....."Justin Capiccotti" *
dt......Ted Laurent *
dt....."Michael Atkinson" *
dt......Evan Gill *
dl....Connor McGough (2017 draft selection 1rst rd - 4th overall ) *
dl.....Kay Okafor (2017 draft selection 3rd rd - 21st overall )
dl....Justin Vaughan ( 2017 draft selection - 5th rd - 38th overall )
lb......"Nicholas Shortill" *
lb.....Geoff Hughes
lb.....Terrell Davis *
lb.....Mitch Barnett
db....Courtney Stephen *
db....Craig Butler *
db..."Mike Daly" *
db....Jay Langa *
db...Tyler Storie (rookie)
db...Tristan Doughlin (rookie)

Well with the 2017 Canadian Draft now in the books It's time for an update on our Canadian talent and depth on our roster heading into T.Camp . The new list is showing and assuming that the team hopefully signs all 7 draft picks and that all will be here and ready to go when camp opens up at the end of the month . It's getting oh so close , been a looonnng off-season (seems like one of the longest in memory ) BUT we are etching oh so closer to finally saying these 4 beautiful words........IS IT JUNE YET ?!? :D :rockin: :D
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am

ottawacat wrote:I wonder if the Cats might give thought, now, to adding the only unpicked player (#17) among the 20 top-ranked in last night's draft. Whether he’s in Guelph, or at home in Welland, he’s not far away.
He seems to be “our type”:
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/comparison ... augustine/
And, he impressed at the combine:
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/25/combine-hi ... augustine/
If this "home town" team doesn’t give a training camp chance, I expect another will.

Well ottawacat here is your answer, he is invited to Esks Training camp

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/10/unsel ... dded-esks/

University of Guelph running back Johnny Augustine has been added as a non-counter by the Edmonton Eskimos and will attend training camp with the club.

Augustine, who was ranked at No. 17 in the final version of the CFL Scouting Bureau, went unselected in last Sunday’s draft but was added by the Esks as one of two Canadian players each team can bring to training camp as long as they have not played a down in the CFL. They, like CFL Draft picks, do not count as part of the team’s 75-man roster.

The 5-foot-10, 210 pound ball carrier has played four seasons for the Gryphons playing in 27 games while registering 361 carries for 2,052 yards and 19 touchdowns. He had a strong performance at the CFL Combine in March in which he performed well in the pass protection and one-on-one receiving sessions.

Most CFL teams employ an American at running back and scouts sayAugustine doesn’t have much by way of special teams film – a key component for young Canadians trying to make a CFL roster – and that may have ultimately caused teams to shy away from selecting the Welland, Ontario native.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

Previous