Receivers

Re: Receivers

by blackandgld » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I am not a CFL prospect expert but all mocks and rankings that i have seen has Vandervoort right were the Cats pick.
A position of need, and a local product adds up to a no brainer selection for the Cats. Will Austin however move up in the draft as he has done in the past to secure this player or roll the dice that he will still be there when they pick??
All-Star

by Mark » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:01 pm

DisplacedCatsFan wrote:Correct, Andy is still a free agent. It makes me wonder WHY he's still a free agent. Look, he's recovering from a torn ACL, and that takes at least a year (personal experience) to recover. While the CFL (and good on the League and CFLPA for doing this) covers the rehab for a player for a year from the injury date, it still means that he will be unavailable for the first 12 games (or so) of the season.

I would love to see (those who know me may be in for a bit of a shock) Andy sign a 2-year contract with the Ticats - probably with a lower base salary with LOTS of incentives, and then he can retire a Tiger-Cat. He was on his way to a 1000-yd season last year, and probably had a chance to eclipse his career best. He proved to me that he is the best National receiver in the League, and probably in the top-10 overall.

We haven't heard much about Andy this off-season, but it makes me wonder if: 1) he (or his agent) are asking for too much; 2) he is going to take a year off to completely rehab his knee (although he won't be making any money from football); 3) he'll make himself available for a late-season signing; or 4) he's planning to retire.

The good thing is, with the number of National starters we have, we could actually start 5 International receivers and not have to worry about a guy like Aprile...

Nice idea, Sig.
All-Star

by DisplacedCatsFan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Mark wrote:Nice idea, Sig.

Which one, Mark?
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by schmenger » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 pm

ApriIle is a valued special teams player. As a receiver from what I have seen he has fairly good speed and blocking abilities. Unfortunately, so far he has hands of stone. I recall when he did have an opportunity to play, one of our QBs hit him right in the hands in full stride. Yup you guessed it, he dropped the pass. I sure hope they find a suitable replacement for Fantuz and backup for Watt.
Starter

by Mark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:53 pm

DisplacedCatsFan wrote:

Which one, Mark?

Giving Andy a shot on a 2 year deal. Shook my head at first but I can see the logic in it.
All-Star

by DisplacedCatsFan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am

Mark wrote:
DisplacedCatsFan wrote:

Which one, Mark?

Giving Andy a shot on a 2 year deal. Shook my head at first but I can see the logic in it.

If you think about it, any cap hit due to Andy playing will be minimal, even if he has a base salary of, say, $150k. If he's on the IL for the first 12 games, then only $50k would count against the cap. Heck - the team could even give him a hefty signing bonus and STILL have a minimal cap hit. If it takes Andy a full season to recover, then so be it. His experience would pay huge dividends where he could be a de facto coach on the sidelines (a la Zach last year). If things don't work out (ie: his knee doesn't heal fully, or if he retires) then his full salary will NOT count against the cap. I think it's a win-win situation for both the team and Andy, assuming something like this happens.
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by Slomojo2005 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:28 pm

:thup: Displaced. Good logical approach . I'm going to Vegas and betting that Andy will be back sooner rather than later. Taking the UNDER!!!!!
Rookie

Previous