Sinkfield not returning to Ticats...?

Re: Sinkfield not returning to Ticats...?

by Grover » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 pm

ticats28 wrote:sink is gone

Thanks for posting

Well good luck to Sink, hope he makes it, but, if not we will always welcome you back to the Hammer.

As a CB he will probably be phenomenal!
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by schmenger » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Sinkfield signs in the NFL, where do you spend the money? Do you sign a Canadian DT, OLine? Or do you sit on the money?
Starter

by DisplacedCatsFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:25 pm

schmenger wrote:Sinkfield signs in the NFL, where do you spend the money? Do you sign a Canadian DT, OLine? Or do you sit on the money?

With the litany of injuries this team has suffered over the past few seasons, perhaps sitting on the cash would be a good idea?
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by stevehvh » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 pm

If he didn't stick in the NFL as a receiver, his natural position, I wonder how long he'll last as a defensive back. I hope it works out for him.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by ExPat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 pm

stevehvh wrote:If he didn't stick in the NFL as a receiver, his natural position, I wonder how long he'll last as a defensive back. I hope it works out for him.

Seems to me it would make quite the story: winning a spot on an NFL roster for the first time, 4 years out of college, at a position he hasn't played (in any league) since high school. It's not quite Delvin Breaux, but I have to think it's not very common.
All-Star

by GOTC1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 pm

His blazing speed is what we will be missing. He was faster than C Williams. Except for Banks (who really isn't a receiver)
we have no one with speed. :thdn:
Previously GOTC since 2006 :cowboy:
Rookie

by blackandgld » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:55 pm

schmenger wrote:Sinkfield signs in the NFL, where do you spend the money? Do you sign a Canadian DT, OLine? Or do you sit on the money?

I think Speedy was going to be the casualty if we got Sink.
Would have been money in money out.
All-Star

by catfish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Don't give up on Sink he not last long at Minnesota's camp at defensive back. :cowboy:
All-Star

by ExPat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:23 pm

catfish wrote:Don't give up on Sink he not last long at Minnesota's camp at defensive back. :cowboy:

If we do get Sink back, maybe we should try him at DB. Historically it's been a weaker spot for us than receiver - although hopefully we've addressed that this off-season.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:57 pm

ExPat wrote:
catfish wrote:Don't give up on Sink he not last long at Minnesota's camp at defensive back. :cowboy:

If we do get Sink back, maybe we should try him at DB. Historically it's been a weaker spot for us than receiver - although hopefully we've addressed that this off-season.

Ya never know Sink could be a dangerous dual threat if he ever comes back here. DB/WR dare I say it , the new Garney Henley ? :) 8)
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by bobo82 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:35 pm

bobo82 wrote:
ExPat wrote:

Ya never know Sink could be a dangerous dual threat if he ever comes back here. DB/WR dare I say it , the new Garney Henley ? :) 8)

Speaking of dual roles I could be wrong on this but if memory serves me correctly the last player to actually play both ways in a game as a Cat was none other than Earl Winfield . In the "89" Grey Cup the Cats as I recall had 2 starting DB's go down with injuries (one of them I believe was Lance Shields , not sure who the other one was ) and with the smaller rosters back then (35 actives ) the Cats were forced to use Earl on a few plays at corner back as they had no DB's left on the roster . As I recall Shields did eventually come back in and finish the game but I'm pretty sure that was the last time that we used a player on both sides of the ball in a game .

So have I got this memory right ? anyone else also remember this ? can anyone else confirm it or am I mistaken ? or can anybody else add something to this story that I might've forgotten about or perhaps got mixed up ? Help me out here folks !!!........hopefully I'm not just having a "Mandela effect" moment :D

All-Star

by Tipper » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 pm

8) You are probably right on that one bobo, but I certainly remember a game going back to either 82 or 83 played in
Ottawa (since I was at the game), where one of our db's got hurt during the game and our star receiver at that time,
Keith Baker filled in at CB for at least 4 or 5 series. He did an admirable job for sure, and I think he even had an
interception !!

The all time best player with Hamilton that was converted over to a CB was undoubtedly Lewis Porter in 1971.
He came to Hamilton as a wide receiver and had blazing speed, but it was decided at that time to switch him over to
defence at the CB position.

Boy, he got burned for 1 or 2 touchdowns a game for the first 3 or 4 games, and then he started to play the position
very well. and became an all star at that position for the next 6 or 7 years !!

Mind you Porter was a great athlete who adapted to his new position excellently. He was one of the best all time
CB's the Cats have ever had, along with another great CB, David Shaw !! The 2 best of all time in Hamilton.
All-Star

by ExPat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:27 pm

bobo82 wrote:
Speaking of dual roles I could be wrong on this but if memory serves me correctly the last player to actually play both ways in a game as a Cat was none other than Earl Winfield . In the "89" Grey Cup the Cats as I recall had 2 starting DB's go down with injuries (one of them I believe was Lance Shields , not sure who the other one was ) and with the smaller rosters back then (35 actives ) the Cats were forced to use Earl on a few plays at corner back as they had no DB's left on the roster . As I recall Shields did eventually come back in and finish the game but I'm pretty sure that was the last time that we used a player on both sides of the ball in a game .

So have I got this memory right ? anyone else also remember this ? can anyone else confirm it or am I mistaken ? or can anybody else add something to this story that I might've forgotten about or perhaps got mixed up ? Help me out here folks !!!........hopefully I'm not just having a "Mandela effect" moment :D

I remember that too. Rosters were smaller then, so if you lost more than one guy at any position you were SOL.

As for the most recent ... are you counting trick plays by defenders like Erik Harris or Joe Hagins who were inserted as receivers on a one-off basis?
All-Star

by bobo82 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:12 pm

ExPat wrote:
bobo82 wrote:

I remember that too. Rosters were smaller then, so if you lost more than one guy at any position you were SOL.

As for the most recent ... are you counting trick plays by defenders like Erik Harris or Joe Hagins who were inserted as receivers on a one-off basis?

Nope . I don't consider them as they were both one offs and designed plays and don't count. Neither Harris or Hagins (who by the way are two of my favourite LB's that have ever played for this team) were thrown in on Offence as an emergency injury replacement necessity due to an injury to one of our starters . I do remember another time though when DT Matt Kirk was forced to play on the O-Line due to injury in I believe either the 2009 or 2010 season. If I remember correctly we only had 6 O-Linemen dressed for the game and sure enough had 2 of them go down to injury. It forced us to throw Kirk in at Guard for the rest of the game. I remember us sitting in the stands and laughing at Kirk as the poor guy was lost out there and was constantly waving his arms at the other Linemen asking them what he was supposed to do and where he was supposed to go on practically every play. The poor guy give him a "E" for effort but he really did look lost out there . :)

All-Star

by blackandgld » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:16 am

Would Casey Printers count?
He threw so many pick 6s that he went offence to defense many times on the same play. :wink:
All-Star

PreviousNext