Ticats add Kaepernick, RGIII to neg. list

Re: Ticats add Kaepernick, RGIII to neg. list

by Palmer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm

We are veering to the political, but when it comes to the US, they are sellers of the sizzle and not the steak. Their country may be in a mess of racism and religious and ethnic persecution right now, but it is still the proud home of the "Grand Ole Flag" and the "Star Spangled Banner". Disagree with them as a nation, if you will, but it will be at your peril. Do it on national TV during the holy rite of an NFL game - well, goodbye Mr Kaepernick, happy job hunting in Mexico (or maybe the CFL for a Canadain born GM and Head Coach). They still believe!
Veteran

by schmenger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Reminds of a verse from an old song....get a haircut and get a real job.
Starter

by tigger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am

YOU HEAR ME: Colin Kaepernick, you come to THE HAMMER<> YOU STAND UP, or I WILL PERSONALLY JUMP ON THE FEILD AND PUT YOUR ASS UP!
Starter

by GeoffW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm

mr62cats wrote:
ticats28 wrote:exactly if it works, free picks for us. if it doesn't, it cost us nothing so why not

Why not? 'Cos what other team would want a mediocre QB with attitude like Kaepernick? Or RG3 who unfortunately has an injury problem. And Manziel is a joke.
This kind of thing makes the CFL looks desperate.

Explain your "attitude" issues with Kaepernick?
" I said I'm hurt she said honey let me heal it"
Veteran

by GeoffW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 pm

tigger wrote:YOU HEAR ME: Colin Kaepernick, you come to THE HAMMER<> YOU STAND UP, or I WILL PERSONALLY JUMP ON THE FEILD AND PUT YOUR ASS UP!

LOL.. hey tough guy, you know his issue is with the United states and how his country let him and others down. I don't want to speak for him but I think it's safe to say he has no issue with Canada.
Veteran

by GeoffW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 pm

safetyblitz wrote:
mr62cats wrote:He certainly had the right to conduct his kneeling protest. But using the NFL product to carry on a personal crusade tells me that he had an an overblown sense of his own importance."

I think he was hoping more players would have the sack to do the same thing he did, and then it wouldn't have been all about him. A few did, but not enough. The values a symbol like a flag is meant to represent are for more important than the symbol itself, which was exactly the point of the protest. If more players had followed suit, the coverage might have been more about the message: America today isn't "the land of the free" for all Americans, and people who claim to love America should be doing more to fix it. The way Kaepernick was crucified for what was in reality a very small, simple gesture has had its intended effect: intimidate players into shutting up and pretending everything is OK.

Values are more important than flags, but oppressors *love* to train people to pretend that the flag itself is more important than what it's supposed to stand for. It's the same reason people who make anti-freedom laws give them Orwell-esque patriotic-sounding names: they know there are plenty of dumb mothrafrickers who think the window-dressing is more important than the substance.

Exactly
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 am

GeoffW wrote:
tigger wrote:YOU HEAR ME: Colin Kaepernick, you come to THE HAMMER<> YOU STAND UP, or I WILL PERSONALLY JUMP ON THE FEILD AND PUT YOUR ASS UP!

LOL.. hey tough guy, you know his issue is with the United states and how his country let him and others down. I don't want to speak for him but I think it's safe to say he has no issue with Canada.

There are things I disagree with about Canada but I would never turn my back on the flag or ignore the national anthem. What if a player decided that he was ashamed with the treatment of natives in this country and turned his back on the Canadian flag?
When we attend a football game there may be thousands with opposing political views but what brings us together is football, players just like fans, should stand and leave their political views at home.
All-Star

by PatLynch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 am

How would you feel if Collaros was a Jehovah Witness and didn't stand for the anthem? His charter rights (freedom of religion) would be denied under your scenario, would they not?

Kap made his point and has moved on. Maybe we should move on, too. :)

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by stevehvh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 am

I'm with you Pat.

Kaepernick had a right to make his point. He made it. Those who criticized him had a right to make theirs. They did. I'm glad we have rights in this country. In USA too. Time for some new news.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 am

PatLynch wrote:How would you feel if Collaros was a Jehovah Witness and didn't stand for the anthem? His charter rights (freedom of religion) would be denied under your scenario, would they not?

Kap made his point and has moved on. Maybe we should move on, too. :)

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

But he's not! and it's a silly argument.
We were talking about POLITICAL statements.
But Jehovah Witness DO stand for national anthems as a matter of respect, but they don't sing it or pledge allegiance!!

Jehovah’s Witnesses (generally) do respectfully stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance, and for national anthems of whatever country. They just don’t participate in the actual pledging or singing of the anthem.

https://www.quora.com/Jehovahs-Witness- ... -terrorist
All-Star

by bobo82 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am

Stand up , sit down , kneel , does it all really matter ? To me it's a moot point because in reality the chances of CK ever signing and actually playing for this team are slim and slimmer . I highly doubt that we'll ever see CK or any of our 3 neg listed QB's ever playing for this team or even in the CFL for that matter ........that is unless we can somehow trade one of them (all of them?) to Saskatchewan so Jonesy can sign them up to backup Vince Young . :roll: :lol:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

Okay, so how many of you stand for the National Anthem when watching a game on Television? :wink:

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Palmer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Grover wrote:Okay, so how many of you stand for the National Anthem when watching a game on Television? :wink:

Good point! And in fact, TSN uses the time to have the panel or in-game hosts talk through the anthem playing, or to run yet another commercial.

My bigger concern is that Kaepernik would not be a cost effective replacement for what we already have on the team. Spend the money on a kicker or on the O-line?
Veteran

by BIGCAT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

This group of players are all potential trade material for the Cats, unless Collaros was to screw up you probably won't see any of these players in Hamilton or maybe not at all in the CFL??

GO CATS GO in 2017!!!!
All-Star

by ottawacat » Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 am

The new EDM GM makes, I think, a good point against the TiCats' recent decision to publicize the names on their neg list:

Sunderland was asked whether he would ever consider revealing any players on his negotiation list, like they’re doing in Hamilton to try and drum up excitement.

“When you do that, it alerts the agents and the players that are on that list and it hinders us because they can invoke the 10-day rule, where if they send that into the league office, it gives us 10 days to negotiate,” Sunderland said. “And right now, we have a lot of players we like on our roster so we don’t want to have to lose a guy and also someone in our pipeline.”
All-Star

PreviousNext