Ticats add Kaepernick, RGIII to neg. list

Re: Ticats add Kaepernick, RGIII to neg. list

by DisplacedCatsFan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

These guys could be very valuable trade-bait. As Drew mentioned: http://3downnation.com/2017/03/21/ticat ... -neg-list/ there could be at least three teams this season that will need a capable QB in the season to come (the blew ream with Ricky Bobby [too many injuries], Als [DD with an injury history], and the Riders [Glenn may revert to the old Glenn, and Young may not even make it out of training camp]).

All 3 - RGIII, Kap, and Manz - are mobile QBs with strong arms that make them well-suited to the CFL game. Heck, both RGIII and Kap have styles that are very similar to Zach - that alone makes them valuable. IMHO, their best years were when they were allowed to play their mobile/zone-read style, and have an offence built around them. When you try to stick a square peg (mobile QB) into a round hole (drop-back pocket passer), only bad things happen to both the QB and the offence. Imagine a young Tom Brady being told that he has to change from a pocket passing QB into a Russell Wilson-style running QB.

Since the chances of RGIII and Kap playing up here are virtually zero (because there are still NFL options, and they have already made tens of millions), and Manz may even have problems getting over the border with his criminal record (if I'm wrong, please let me know), I think that the brouhaha about them being added to the Tiger-Cats' negotiation list is moot. However, if they WISH to come up here in order to keep playing football...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 am

DisplacedCatsFan wrote:These guys could be very valuable trade-bait. As Drew mentioned: http://3downnation.com/2017/03/21/ticat ... -neg-list/ there could be at least three teams this season that will need a capable QB in the season to come (the blew ream with Ricky Bobby [too many injuries], Als [DD with an injury history], and the Riders [Glenn may revert to the old Glenn, and Young may not even make it out of training camp]).

All 3 - RGIII, Kap, and Manz - are mobile QBs with strong arms that make them well-suited to the CFL game. Heck, both RGIII and Kap have styles that are very similar to Zach - that alone makes them valuable. IMHO, their best years were when they were allowed to play their mobile/zone-read style, and have an offence built around them. When you try to stick a square peg (mobile QB) into a round hole (drop-back pocket passer), only bad things happen to both the QB and the offence. Imagine a young Tom Brady being told that he has to change from a pocket passing QB into a Russell Wilson-style running QB.

Since the chances of RGIII and Kap playing up here are virtually zero (because there are still NFL options, and they have already made tens of millions), and Manz may even have problems getting over the border with his criminal record (if I'm wrong, please let me know), I think that the brouhaha about them being added to the Tiger-Cats' negotiation list is moot. However, if they WISH to come up here in order to keep playing football...

En supposant que ces deux athlètes voulaient venir jouer dans la LCF, ces deux athlètes portent tout de même leurs points d'interrogation. RGIII a été blessé sérieusement plus qu'à son tour et je crois que personne ne prendrait de chance avec lui sans avoir préalablement fait une très sérieuse évaluation médicale. Kappernick, quant à lui, on peut s'interroger sur ses capacités de s'illustrer au football canadien. Il a la mobilité, un bon gabarit, mais ses qualités de passeur ne sont pas celles par lesquelles il s'est illustré. On peut aussi s'interroger sur sa capacité de lire le jeu avant et après la remise, ce qui l'a passablement rendu dépendant de sa facilité pour porter le ballon.

Dans l'optique d'échanger des droits de négociation, si le prix demandé est élevé, je me demande si les équipes ne voudront pas d'abord s'assurer qu'ils veulent effectivement venir jouer au Canada, pour le salaire que ça peut rapporter. Ces joueurs ont eu de gros contrats et ne sont probablement pas à court d'argent pour le reste de leur vie, contrairement à Vince Young qui a dilapidé sa fortune. Bref, oui, ils peuvent être un outils pour transiger, mais il y a quelques pas à franchir avant d'y être rendus. D'autre part, si ces gars peuvent performer dans la LCF, je vois mal pourquoi les Tiger Cats s'en passeraient. Dans mon esprit, s'ils peuvent s'entendre avec l'un d'eux, l'idée d'un échange ne sera que pour celui de ces deux qui restera.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by safetyblitz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 am

LeStaf wrote:Kappernick, quant à lui, on peut s'interroger sur ses capacités de s'illustrer au football canadien. Il a la mobilité, un bon gabarit, mais ses qualités de passeur ne sont pas celles par lesquelles il s'est illustré.

Perhaps others have noticed this before, but Google Translate reads the French for "passer" as "ferryman". Made me do a double-take, since not only are these not homonyms in English, but at least in this part of the world, "ferryman" isn't even a commonly used English word. Perhaps "ferryman" and its French translation are used more commonly in the maritimes? FWIW, the first online dictionary I checked translated "passeur" as "smuggler". :D
All-Star

by Palmer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

I think it is just a case of being in the "silly season". Not too much happening, plenty of time for rumours and speculation, lots of fertile minds playing "what if". And why not - always good to be talking football and the Cats!
Veteran

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:16 am

mr62cats wrote:
ticats28 wrote:exactly if it works, free picks for us. if it doesn't, it cost us nothing so why not

Why not? 'Cos what other team would want a mediocre QB with attitude like Kaepernick? Or RG3 who unfortunately has an injury problem. And Manziel is a joke.
This kind of thing makes the CFL looks desperate.

No.

This kind of thing makes the Ticats looks desperate.

Johnny fixed it! :D
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 am

safetyblitz wrote:
LeStaf wrote:Kappernick, quant à lui, on peut s'interroger sur ses capacités de s'illustrer au football canadien. Il a la mobilité, un bon gabarit, mais ses qualités de passeur ne sont pas celles par lesquelles il s'est illustré.

Perhaps others have noticed this before, but Google Translate reads the French for "passeur" as "ferryman". Made me do a double-take, since not only are these not homonyms in English, but at least in this part of the world, "ferryman" isn't even a commonly used English word. Perhaps "ferryman" and its French translation are used more commonly in the maritimes? FWIW, the first online dictionary I checked translated "passeur" as "smuggler". :D

That would explain the Chris de Burgh song "Don't pay the passeur".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kNwvIEQsg0
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by schmenger » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Johnny Peanut Butter, I doubt the Tight Cats are desperate to place C.K and RG 3 on their negotiation list. If I understand the process correctly, this is a wish list and there is no cost unless another team wasn't a specific player from their list.
Starter

by LeStaf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 am

Palmer wrote:I think it is just a case of being in the "silly season". Not too much happening, plenty of time for rumours and speculation, lots of fertile minds playing "what if". And why not - always good to be talking football and the Cats!

:thup: :thup:
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by Habsfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 am

I can't stand Kaepernick. He isn't very good, has a huge ego and is nothing but a distraction.
Rookie

by DogsFan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 am

Habsfan wrote:I can't stand Kaepernick. He isn't very good, has a huge ego and is nothing but a distraction.

I think you're wrong on all points. He would be very good in the CFL, he does not have a huge ego.. in fact I would say he is very humble and charitable. American society made him a distraction. He kneeled for a flippin song for christ sakes and now nobody wants him. Americas a funny place right now.
Starter

by of course » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree that Kaepernick is simply not a good QB any more. If he was, an NFL team would have signed him by now, despite his other baggage.
Starter

by HfxTC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Kap is finished. He's got about as much of a shot to get a contract with the NFL as Adrian Macpherson had.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by PatLynch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 am

Coach Harbaugh of the Ravens, says Kap has got lots in the tank for any NFL team. I can't stand the Harbaughs but I'll take his word , since he does wear a very large ring. :lol: NFL owners are very conservative and probably don't want the negative publicity of "dissing" the flag on their watch. Kaepernick said that those protests won't be happening again and I believe him.

The guy was trying to make a point and was willing to take the heat. His charitable donations ($500 000) are probably more than some of the NFL flag waving owners.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by mr62cats » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Pat: I have a different take on this......

"Willing to take the heat".......yeah and he should have known that blacklisting would be included.

He certainly had the right to conduct his kneeling protest. But using the NFL product to carry on a personal crusade tells me that he had an an overblown sense of his own importance. His charitable donations were the way to go but unfortunately the lengthy kneeling incident overshadowed his generosity. Bad judgement on his part.

He was a mediocre QB. I don't want him in the CFL because it would make our league look desperate. Not sure yet about RG3.

So I hope the talk about Kaepernick being on a negotiating list is just Austin's version of "March Madness."
All-Star

by safetyblitz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 pm

mr62cats wrote:He certainly had the right to conduct his kneeling protest. But using the NFL product to carry on a personal crusade tells me that he had an an overblown sense of his own importance."

I think he was hoping more players would have the sack to do the same thing he did, and then it wouldn't have been all about him. A few did, but not enough. The values a symbol like a flag is meant to represent are for more important than the symbol itself, which was exactly the point of the protest. If more players had followed suit, the coverage might have been more about the message: America today isn't "the land of the free" for all Americans, and people who claim to love America should be doing more to fix it. The way Kaepernick was crucified for what was in reality a very small, simple gesture has had its intended effect: intimidate players into shutting up and pretending everything is OK.

Values are more important than flags, but oppressors *love* to train people to pretend that the flag itself is more important than what it's supposed to stand for. It's the same reason people who make anti-freedom laws give them Orwell-esque patriotic-sounding names: they know there are plenty of dumb mothrafrickers who think the window-dressing is more important than the substance.
All-Star

PreviousNext