Vince Young?

Re: Vince Young?

by Migs » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 pm

bobo82 wrote:Let's not also forget the fact that in 2014 the absolute worst franchise on the planet in all of pro football , the Cleveland "Clowns" was Vince's last stop in the NFL before signing with the Riders. Vince only lasted all of 11 days in Cleveland before even they released him. This is a guy who wasn't even deemed good enough to play for the Sh!tty Browns !!! . He last suited up in a game that actually counted in the standings way back in the 2011 season . Just a bit of irony but does anybody remember who our starting QB was way back then ? I'll give ya a hint , this big lump named Young might just be starting ahead of him this year on the Prairies :roll: Yup !!! Good Luck to ya Riders on this one working out for ya's . :) :lol:

Young' stint with the Browns is irrelevant. What is the history of your CFL teams QB with the NFL?
Starter

by blackandgld » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Mostly guys with very limited NFL time.
Cats had Shaun King
Casey Printers
Brian Brohm
Dieter Brock went CFL to NFL
Mike Kerrigan
Timm Rosenbach
Another name eluding me. He was a Heisman finalist, played NFL and was really disappointing for the Cats. African American. I think he might have played New Orl. in NFL but can't remember.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Migs wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:I would have done this signing quietly as possible . The contract is good protection but this is not good PR for a Pro Football League when you make it bigger than what it should be it makes the CFL look desperate for attention .

It's like a fat woman wearing a short tight two sizes too small dress or a moped it may sound fun but you don't want your friends seeing you with either one .

Pretty safe to assume you'd fail any marketing class you'd ever take.

Young is a 2 time pro-Bowl QB, NFL rookie of the year, a legend in Texas. To suggest it's foolish to market the hell out of signing knowing full well it would cost you $0 if it doesn't work out is ridiculous. I saw 3 people already today at the mall wearing his jersey. It's free marketing & if he does play well & make the team, it's an even bigger cash windfall.

Yikes who would buy a Young Jersey ; I guess the guys who bought Smith , Sam and Johnson jerseys ? I like Rider fans Migs I love their Love of the game but this is one that should have been quiet and reserved until he has proven himself HERE . He is yesterdays news who has failed miserably .

Fawning over a guy who is out of football this long and has no recent success suggests pathetic NFL yearnings . I would love for him to make a MIRACLE come back but the optics on this signing are sad for any Football guys who follow both leagues as it makes my first love look desperate for any attention .

The SRR never needed any of this crap to be the most financially successful franchise and any marketer for this league would advise not bringing down the valuation of their players by publicity acts of the scale of Charles Finley . They are not required and I doubt Ronnie Lancaster would approve of this signing .

There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by BigJoeM » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:14 pm

blackandgld wrote:Mostly guys with very limited NFL time.
Cats had Shaun King
Casey Printers
Brian Brohm
Dieter Brock went CFL to NFL
Mike Kerrigan
Timm Rosenbach
Another name eluding me. He was a Heisman finalist, played NFL and was really disappointing for the Cats. African American. I think he might have played New Orl. in NFL but can't remember.

Tom Clements was CFL then NFL back to CFL played with the Cats . Pretty respected QB coach in the NFL . Not sure but there are others probably missing . I don't know of any guy out of football at his age out for so long with such a dismal ending coming up here . If he would have came here after his last NFL shot then I would be okay with it as I do respect him from his College days more than his NFL days . I just think it reminds me of an old timers hockey game or when the great Carl Brewer came back to play for the leafs in 79 -80 after retiring in 74 . Yep I am that old and this sounds like something Harold Ballard would do .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by bobo82 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 am

Migs wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:I would have done this signing quietly as possible . The contract is good protection but this is not good PR for a Pro Football League when you make it bigger than what it should be it makes the CFL look desperate for attention .

It's like a fat woman wearing a short tight two sizes too small dress or a moped it may sound fun but you don't want your friends seeing you with either one .

Pretty safe to assume you'd fail any marketing class you'd ever take.

Young is a 2 time pro-Bowl QB, NFL rookie of the year, a legend in Texas. To suggest it's foolish to market the hell out of signing knowing full well it would cost you $0 if it doesn't work out is ridiculous. I saw 3 people already today at the mall wearing his jersey It's free marketing & if he does play well & make the team, it's an even bigger cash windfall.

Come on Migs , you can tell us all the truth :)
Yup ,they were all wearing Vince Young jerseys alright :roll: :lol:
The only thing that you left out was the fact that they were all actually wearing old Tennessee Titans jerseys . :lol: :P

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 am

Migs wrote:
LeStaf wrote:Je ne vois pas comment un gars qui n'a jamais eu un % de passes complétées de 60% va réussir dans cette ligue.

Troy Smith 2.0, et le résultat sera sans doute le même, voire pire.

Kerry Joseph 2.0? Doug Flutie 2.0? David Archer 2.0?

Who knows. What we do know so far is that the contract is zero risk, the coaches have loved what they've seen thus far during workout, & that he's got a very good attitude toward this opportunity.

Effectivement, nous n'en savons rien. C'est à l'usage que ceci va se révéler, s'il réussit à jouer.

Ceci dit, dans un passé récent, peu de quarts-arrières ayant affiché un taux de passes complétées inférieur à 60% ont réussi dans la LCF. Le fait que Young ait été si longtemps absent du football n'augmente en rien ses chances de réussite. Il y a longtemps qu'il n'a pas eu à apprendre un livre de jeux, encore moins à composer avec des receveurs qui arrivent à la ligne de mêlée à pleine vitesse et 5 joueurs dans la tertiaire. A-t-il seulement déjà joué une fois sur un terrain de 65 verges de large? Il aura beaucoup à faire pour montrer qu'il peut y performer.

Le contrat qui lui a été accordé est peu risqué pour les Roughriders. Ils peuvent renvoyer Young chez lui quand ils le veulent. En ce sens, qu'ont-ils à perdre. Mais pendant ce temps, Young va prendre du temps d'entraînement aux jeunes qui sont avec l'équipe et qu'elle pourrait développer. Avant de se retrouver chez les Lions, Jonathon Jenninigs a passé chez les Roughriders. Jones est-il à ce point certain de pouvoir mettre James Franklin sous contrat qu'il peut se permettre de négliger le développement des jeunes quarts-arrières qu'il a sous la main? J'ai un peu l'impression qu'il fuit en avant avec cette annonce.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by Tipper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 am

Migs wrote:I saw 3 people already today at the mall wearing his jersey[/size][/i][/b] It's free marketing & if he does play well & make the team, it's an even bigger cash windfall.

Image[/quote]

8) What you meant to say, was that you saw three sucker morons wearing his jersey at the mall !! :lol: :roll:
All-Star

by safetyblitz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:29 pm

BigJoeM wrote:Fawning over a guy who is out of football this long and has no recent success suggests pathetic NFL yearnings

I don't like this inferiority-compleex driven hype either, but I see why they're doing it. It gets people talking about the Riders and football. Nobody is going to *stop* watching the CFL over this kind of misplaced hype, and those who would use it to bash the CFL are already lost. This is just fodder for more football conversation, and doesn't involve drug tests, gunfire, assault, or concussions, so it falls under the "no such thing as bad publicity" umbrella.

And for Riders fans who are skeptical of Kevin Glenn, it sends a message to fans that the Rider management are continuing to take action to provide competition at training camp.
All-Star

by Abendschan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm

safetyblitz wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:Fawning over a guy who is out of football this long and has no recent success suggests pathetic NFL yearnings

I don't like this inferiority-compleex driven hype either, but I see why they're doing it. It gets people talking about the Riders and football. Nobody is going to *stop* watching the CFL over this kind of misplaced hype, and those who would use it to bash the CFL are already lost. This is just fodder for more football conversation, and doesn't involve drug tests, gunfire, assault, or concussions, so it falls under the "no such thing as bad publicity" umbrella.

And for Riders fans who are skeptical of Kevin Glenn, it sends a message to fans that the Rider management are continuing to take action to provide competition at training camp.

Positive answer in all honesty I agree with you safetyblitz.
Saskatchewan Roughriders - Rider Nation
Los Angeles Rams - Ram Nation in LA
Starter

by BigJoeM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm

safetyblitz wrote:

I get what you r saying but if they did this to the Redblacks I would cancel my tickets I already went thru this BS with the Glieberman show . It would damage the goodwill with my team big time . If I was Kevin Glenn I would be pretty happy having Vince as competition because they are saying Glenn it's your team buddy we got nothing else on the shelf. A NFL guy who last played a meaningful game was in 2011 is nothing rider fans should be happy about .

For me and others this is a kick in the face to CFL players , CIS players and anyone who respects the product on the field . Jones is the only coach I know of that did not have his team on the field for the national anthem . I feel sorry for a SRR team with such a beautiful stadium , great fan support and loyalty like the guys standing up for Jones on this thread have not been given a better manager for a proud franchise .
Veteran

Previous