26 players already gone from last years team

Re: 26 players already gone from last years team

by Lennywasout » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Grover wrote:Average recovery time from ACL surgery is 9 months
Fantuz had his surgery the 3rd Week of NOV,
9 months recovery time = 3rd week of AUG(Week10)
Week 10 = our last Bye week
Week 11 = LDC :rockin:

I understand that if he is not under contract that he doesn't get paid. But who pays for his rehab and recovery program? if a player is under contract the team would be putting him through physio etc
Do they sign a re-sign a guy and pay him to sit around for 8 months and pay for his recovery?

Maybe since we was an "employee" of the Cats when injured that there might be something to the equivalent of Long Term Disability insurance. Very prevalent in private industry. This would cover all the costs until rehab is completed.
Not sure how this works with pro sports. Would be interesting to find out.
Veteran

by Grover » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:53 am

This is from the previous CFL CBA contract(2014), I suspect it is the same now

Medical Treatment After Injury
Medical coverage has been extended to one year from the date of injury. The previous agreement terminated coverage on the date of the following year’s training camp regardless of when the injury may have occurred during the season.

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/06/29/media-back ... r-new-cba/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by bobo82 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:14 am

seymour wrote:
blackandgld wrote:I would be surprised if Andy signed in TO. He is a great player.
Argos do not have any great players.

Possibly because the Argos have a great coach. The Ti-Cats do not have any great coaches.

It remains to be seen if the Argos do indeed have a great coach . In the world of "What have you done for me lately" Trestman hasn't really been that great . You might get a difference of opinion about Trestman's greatness if you talk to some fans of the Chicago Bears or the Baltimore Ravens . These were Trestman's last two stops in the coaching world that frankly produced less than stellar results. As HC of the Bears for 2 seasons (2013-14) he was a combined 13-19 with a .406 % winning percentage. Not surprisingly he also failed to get the Bears into the playoffs in his 2 seasons there and was subseguently fired for his efforts . Trestman then went on to become the Ravens OC ( Jan 20/15) and held the job for a year and a half before being let go halfway through last season on Oct 10/16 . The reason for the Ravens letting him go was mostly due to the fact that the team had one of the most feeble and unimaginative offences at the time in the NFL and were at or near the bottom in pretty much every Offensive category with Trestman at the controls.

I'll hold judgement on Trestman's greatness until I see how he fares coaching a team like the Argos who last time I looked didn't have an Anthony Calvillo at the controls and nowhere near the talent level that Trestman was afforded and inherited when he last was a HC in the league . Trestman basically took over a ready set veteran laden powerhouse Alouettes team that had already made 5 trips to the Grey Cup in the previous 8 years before he arrived on the scene.

Now don't get me wrong , he might do alright in Toronto but I think that Trestman will find out rather quickly that it's quite a different kettle of fish coaching a rebuilding team with very little to no talent on the roster as opposed to coaching the talent laden Alouettes of the mid 2000's .

Lastly just as a comparison to what I just said I leave you with two words to prove my point above.......Charlie Taffe.... name ring a bell ? remember him ? remember where he coached before coming here ? Enough said . :cowboy:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:05 pm

His Chicago Fanclub sure turned on Trestman at the end

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Lennywasout » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Grover wrote:This is from the previous CFL CBA contract(2014), I suspect it is the same now

Medical Treatment After Injury
Medical coverage has been extended to one year from the date of injury. The previous agreement terminated coverage on the date of the following year’s training camp regardless of when the injury may have occurred during the season.

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/06/29/media-back ... r-new-cba/

Thanks Grover.

I hope that the Cats do the right thing and re-sign him so he is not only ours but at least has income during rehab. After all, they seemed to find a way in the past few years to have what seemed like the largest IR list in the league with some marginal players being protected. Now is the time for them to step up for Fantuz.
Veteran

by seymour » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:26 pm

bobo82 wrote:It remains to be seen if the Argos do indeed have a great coach...

As far as I`m concerned, 2008 through 2012 was a great period for Alouette football. Four East Division Championships, three Grey Cup appearances and two Grey Cup titles in a five season span!

Great football teams require great coaching. Trestman has placed himself in that category IMO.

P.S. I have no idea what Charlie Taffe has to do with Trestman`s accomplishments with the Alouettes.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:38 am

seymour wrote:
bobo82 wrote:It remains to be seen if the Argos do indeed have a great coach...

As far as I`m concerned, 2008 through 2012 was a great period for Alouette football. Four East Division Championships, three Grey Cup appearances and two Grey Cup titles in a five season span!

Great football teams require great coaching. Trestman has placed himself in that category IMO.

P.S. I have no idea what Charlie Taffe has to do with Trestman`s accomplishments with the Alouettes.

LOL !! Where did I say anything about Taffe having anything to do with Trestman's accomplishments with the Alouettes? The only thing the two have in common is the fact that they both were at one time successful Head Coaches of the Alouettes . I simply used Taffe as a comparison of a HC who was also successful elsewhere in ideal conditions with a stacked talent laden team . A guy who went to another team that was in total rebuild mode with nowhere near the same talent level and failed miserably under not so ideal conditions that he had when hired here in Hamilton . The comparison is simple really , the Argos with Trestman right now are much akin to the sad sack shape that the Cats were in back in 2007 when we hired Taffe to turn things around and rebuild our team back into a contender.

I guess ya didn't read my entire post or perhaps didn't quite comprehend it or maybe you've just chosen to forget all about the hoopla that surrounded the Cats when we signed Charlie Taffe as our HC in 2007. Taffe was supposed to be the magic elixir , the man who was going to solve all our problems and turn our team around and we were all excited when we got him as our new HC . Taffe after all was a very successful HC who won back to back COY awards in '99' and '00' posted back to back regular season W/L records of 12-6 , had back to back 1rst place finishes and a Grey Cup appearance in his 2 years with the Alouettes . Yup , and what did that translate to when he became our HC ? a miserable W/L record of 5 wins and 23 losses in just a little over a season and a half at the helm of a rebuilding team that had nowhere near the talent level that he had at his disposal in Montreal.

Like I said previously I'll reserve and hold judgement on how Trestman will fare with the Argos until further notice . Who knows ? he could prove me wrong and he could very well turn the Argos into an instant powerhouse over night and surprise us all ....OR he might just find out that much like Taffe did here that it's not as easy to make chicken salad when all you have is chicken Image to work with.
Last edited by bobo82 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

All-Star

by my home team » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 am

bobo82 wrote:
seymour wrote:
blackandgld wrote:I would be surprised if Andy signed in TO. He is a great player.
Argos do not have any great players.

Possibly because the Argos have a great coach. The Ti-Cats do not have any great coaches.

It remains to be seen if the Argos do indeed have a great coach . In the world of "What have you done for me lately" Trestman hasn't really been that great . You might get a difference of opinion about Trestman's greatness if you talk to some fans of the Chicago Bears or the Baltimore Ravens . These were Trestman's last two stops in the coaching world that frankly produced less than stellar results. As HC of the Bears for 2 seasons (2013-14) he was a combined 13-19 with a .406 % winning percentage. Not surprisingly he also failed to get the Bears into the playoffs in his 2 seasons there and was subseguently fired for his efforts . Trestman then went on to become the Ravens OC ( Jan 20/15) and held the job for a year and a half before being let go halfway through last season on Oct 10/16 . The reason for the Ravens letting him go was mostly due to the fact that the team had one of the most feeble and unimaginative offences at the time in the NFL and were at or near the bottom in pretty much every Offensive category with Trestman at the controls.

I'll hold judgement on Trestman's greatness until I see how he fares coaching a team like the Argos who last time I looked didn't have an Anthony Calvillo at the controls and nowhere near the talent level that Trestman was afforded and inherited when he last was a HC in the league . Trestman basically took over a ready set veteran laden powerhouse Alouettes team that had already made 5 trips to the Grey Cup in the previous 8 years before he arrived on the scene.

Now don't get me wrong , he might do alright in Toronto but I think that Trestman will find out rather quickly that it's quite a different kettle of fish coaching a rebuilding team with very little to no talent on the roster as opposed to coaching the talent laden Alouettes of the mid 2000's .

Lastly just as a comparison to what I just said I leave you with two words to prove my point above.......Charlie Taffe.... name ring a bell ? remember him ? remember where he coached before coming here ? Enough said . :cowboy:

I totally agree with you, Bobo. Some very good points to consider.

To be fair, as far as Marc Trestman's failure in Chicago is concerned, I will offer two words....Jay Cutler.
Starter

by BIGCAT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Good job, amazing how many players have moved on or are still waiting for new contract?

The depth of this team is already in place as many of the key players and positions are set.

Fantuz will probably get signed closer to the start of the season, really no rush at this point until he gets healthy again and unless he cuts a deal somewhere else as previously mentioned Toronto or maybe back to Regina, will wait and see?

GO CATS GO!!!
All-Star

by seymour » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm

bobo82 wrote:I'll reserve and hold judgement on how Trestman will fare with the Argos...

You take great pains to give a "long-winded" quasi-comparison between Marc Trestman and Charlie Taffe. Unfortunately, your dissertation is completely irrelevant.

If and when Trestman ever flops in this league to the same extent as Charlie Taffe, then you can roll out your comparison essay. Until that time, trying to compare the two makes no sense.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 pm

BIGCAT wrote:Good job, amazing how many players have moved on or are still waiting for new contract?

The depth of this team is already in place as many of the key players and positions are set.

Fantuz will probably get signed closer to the start of the season, really no rush at this point until he gets healthy again and unless he cuts a deal somewhere else as previously mentioned Toronto or maybe back to Regina, will wait and see?

GO CATS GO!!!

Actually when looking at the current Cat roster as it stands right now and breaking it down we still do have a lot of depth at most positions despite the fact that 26 players have departed so far this off season and at the moment the roster is sitting at 60 players (if you include Woods at rb who is currently not officially showing yet)

A quick positional look at the current roster shows that the spots where we are shallow in depth at this time would be of course the already talked about vacant SAM lb , the D-Line and once again much like last year at this team no kicker(s) to speak of at all as of yet.

Here is a quick rundown on positional depth as it stands as of today on our roster :

Offence
QB......3
RB......4 (Woods included - not showing on roster yet )
FB......2
REC...10
OL......9

LS.......1
K/P.....0

Defence
DE.....3
DT.....4
LB.....7
DB...17

Just for fun I have done up a mock projected starting line-up using our current roster . Tell me what you think :D
Starting 7 Cdns are shown with an * Personally I think it's a pretty solid looking starting 24 on paper as it stands right now . Hopefully we get Sinkfield back to swap out and replace Collins with and it would look even sweeter :D :thup:

Offense :QB- Z.Collaros / RB- CJ Gable / REC- S.Tasker ,T.Toliver, K.Elliott, B. Tyms , J.Collins / C- M.Filer* / LT - J.Olson / RT - X .Fulton / RG - R . Bomben* / LG - B .Revenberg*

Defense :DE - J. Chick , A.Tracy / DT - T.Laurent* , M. Atkinson* / WILL - S.Lawrence / MIKE - L. Dean/SAM -Et.Davis / CB - C. Stephan* , C. Page / HB - Em. Davis , A. Kanneh / S- C. Butler*

All-Star

by blackandgld » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:22 pm

I could see the new D Coordinator choosing to go with a 3-4 defense. Teddy would be a perfect nose guy
All-Star

by smogmonster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Love the lineup Bobo but I would have Spencer Watt in there too. When he was thrown to he was reliable. I expect better things from him this year provided he gets a few balls thrown to him. I would like to see him more involved in the offensive scheme of things.
Veteran

by bobo82 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:41 pm

smogmonster wrote:Love the lineup Bobo but I would have Spencer Watt in there too. When he was thrown to he was reliable. I expect better things from him this year provided he gets a few balls thrown to him. I would like to see him more involved in the offensive scheme of things.

I like Watt as well but the thing of it is as I explained in another thread is the fact that I feel if we do start Watt this year and he goes down with an injury we really don't have any experience or depth in the other Canadian receivers on the roster behind him that are capable of stepping in and starting in his place. Aprile has proven that he is not capable of being a reliable replacement and Jones and Uren barely saw the field last year . On the other hand last year with Fantuz as well as Watt and to a lesser extent Matt Coates available we had depth and quality Cdns at the wr position. Add in the fact that we also have Butler coming back this year on Defence as one of our 7 Cdn starters and it affords us the luxury and flexibility of switching up our ratio and hopefully utilizing a 5th import at one of the receiving positions this year.

All-Star

by smogmonster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:00 pm

You are spot on (as usual) Bobo :thup:
Veteran

PreviousNext