Is this Austin's Pivotal Year?

Re: Is this Austin's Pivotal Year?

by PatLynch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 am

I'm a big Kent Austin fan but as usual, Tommy Boy makes a good point. Bill Parcells used to say that you are what your record says you are. If we have a relatively injury free season, the TiCats should win it all. If we flounder, while healthy, then somebody else might be buying the groceries.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by stevehvh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am

I don't think Collaros is overrated. Overpaid maybe, but not overrated. I'd say he's quite good, better than most, though not necessarily amazing. No spot reserved in the HOF, not yet anyway, though I hope he earns one starting this year. I suspect most people would say something similar about him.

I agree the regular season record vs championship debate is a false binary, as D&P said. I'd like our team to be competitive every year, and be in the GC game and win it our share of the time. I don't expect Grey Cup victories on any particular schedule... there are other teams competing for it too.

I'm an Austin fan too. He's skilled, knowledgeable and experienced. That doesn't mean he should get a pass for life. I'd give him a long leash, but performance counts. We've been competitive on his watch. I expect that to continue.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 am

stevehvh wrote:I don't think Collaros is overrated. Overpaid maybe, but not overrated. I'd say he's quite good, better than most, though not necessarily amazing. No spot reserved in the HOF, not yet anyway, though I hope he earns one starting this year. I suspect most people would say something similar about him.

I agree the regular season record vs championship debate is a false binary, as D&P said. I'd like our team to be competitive every year, and be in the GC game and win it our share of the time. I don't expect Grey Cup victories on any particular schedule... there are other teams competing for it too.

I'm an Austin fan too. He's skilled, knowledgeable and experienced. That doesn't mean he should get a pass for life. I'd give him a long leash, but performance counts. We've been competitive on his watch. I expect that to continue.

That's a very even-handed assessment. I suppose my feeling that he's overrated stems from the superlatives heaped on him by Hamilton fans based on a few half-seasons of elite performance. It's far easier to look good in a small sample size than it is to perform at that level over a full season and across multiple seasons. Who knows? Maybe 2017 is the year Collaros puts together a full MOP-level season and silences detractors like me.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by stevehvh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

disciplineandpunish wrote: I suppose my feeling that he's overrated stems from the superlatives heaped on him by Hamilton fans based on a few half-seasons of elite performance.

You get that here, like you do in any team fan forum. People here said the same thing about Jessie Lumsden. With an even smaller sample size there were those who argued he was the greatest running back in the history of the CFL. Yikes.

disciplineandpunish wrote:It's far easier to look good in a small sample size than it is to perform at that level over a full season and across multiple seasons.

I agree fully.

disciplineandpunish wrote:Who knows? Maybe 2017 is the year Collaros puts together a full MOP-level season and silences detractors like me.

I hope so!
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by ExPat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:06 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:
Not sure what that has to do with the discussion. A player can be overrated -- as I think Collaros is -- while still being good. Yes, I think Collaros is overrated. That doesn't mean I think he's trash. Also, he's still better than Kevin Glenn or Quinton Porter.

I mean, do YOU feel that Collaros is not a significant upgrade on Glenn/Porter? I think he is a significant step up from those two, even though I think he's overrated.

Of course he is better than Glenn and Porter. But to assess whether someone is 'overrated' you first need to know their rating. I don't believe Collaros has ever even been a division all-star or MOP nominee, so it's not like he is 'rated' as the best. If he is rated as, say, a Top 5 QB in the CFL, then is that overrated?

(Cats fans may 'rate' him as #1, but that's because we're Cats fans. And before his injury in 2015, he was playing better than anyone else.)

My larger point is that you can't discount Austin's success by saying it is largely due to the players that Austin brought in or selected for the team. That`s part of his job, and if it contributed to his success then it means he did his job.
All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 am

The fact that this conversation is being dominated by an Als fan shows just how much they love to visit us here - even though uninvited.

Maybe we Ticat fans should start dominating threads on their board also.

To all Als fans... we don't need your opinions here, and we don't need your presence at all in fact. There is the main CFL board for us to mingle, but other fans of other teams need to respect the team board as sacred ground.

The Ticat board exists for Ticat fans, not Als fans, or any other fans. Period.
Veteran

by Lennywasout » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 am

I think they are on this board because the other team forums are near dead. Same two or three people posting and they're likely sick of each other. So they come here to exchange words.
All fine and good as long as they're not TROLLS just spoiling for an argument. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!
It's gotten to the point where my ignore list is getting longer and longer.
Veteran

by seymour » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:05 am

ExPat wrote: I don't believe Collaros has ever even been a division all-star or MOP nominee, so it's not like he is 'rated' as the best.

Then why is he the highest paid quarterback in the league?
All-Star

by Grover » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 am

seymour wrote:
ExPat wrote: I don't believe Collaros has ever even been a division all-star or MOP nominee, so it's not like he is 'rated' as the best.

Why?? Because he has an All-Star caliber agent!
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by LeStaf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:To all Als fans... we don't need your opinions here, and we don't need your presence at all in fact. There is the main CFL board for us to mingle, but other fans of other teams need to respect the team board as sacred ground.

Parlez-vous au nom de tous les supporteurs des Tiger Cats qui écrivent sur ce babillard? Si oui, qu'est-ce qui vous en donne l'autorité?

Pour ma part, je suis content des interventions avisées de plusieurs supporteurs des Tiger Cats sur le forum des Alouettes et les invite à continuer d'y contribuer. Comme vous le dites, les trolls ne sont pas les bienvenus. Mais sur le forum des Alouettes, les gens de bonne volonté le sont.

Salutations,
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by ExPat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 am

seymour wrote:

Because Austin really likes him and wanted to lock him up for several more years. And as Grover said, Zach and his agent have played their cards well.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:The fact that this conversation is being dominated by an Als fan shows just how much they love to visit us here - even though uninvited.

To all Als fans... we don't need your opinions here, and we don't need your presence at all in fact. There is the main CFL board for us to mingle, but other fans of other teams need to respect the team board as sacred ground.

I think you need to read the forum rules again. Team forums are supposed to be safe spaces as far as trolling and team-bashing go. So obviously if I showed up here saying "TICATS $UCK!!!!!1!1!" that would be trolling. But how is it wrong for me or LeStaf or any other Als fan to have a friendly discussion with y'all about your team? I have been nothing but respectful in this thread.

Also, we sometimes get Cats fans posting on our board and that's no problem, as long as the conversation is respectful.

As for Collaros, I'll just say that while he may not have won any awards, he is making top coin, being paid like an elite QB, as seymour noted. So I don't think it's unfair to say that he is rated very highly -- by his own team, at any rate, if not at the level of awards and championships (yet).
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by schmenger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

I am with you Canadian football fan, it appears some Als fan need to express their depth of football knowledge and opinions with the intent to create an argument. Some feel the need to post their opinion in French and answer their threads on the Als site in English. I am not sure why someone would do what other than to force their point of view. It is nice to be wanted and respected, however when individuals go out of their way to try and dominate opinions with the intent to cause hard feelings. No thanks to you and your supporters............
Starter

by TommyBoy1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:33 am

Preisst Wrote "That's odd. You want to be a good to great regular season team who usually can't win the big game? I like championships"

I would like a championship too. I guess I missed it? In my recollection, the Ticats have been a 500 team with NO championships under Austin.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:
canadianfootballfan wrote:The fact that this conversation is being dominated by an Als fan shows just how much they love to visit us here - even though uninvited.

I think you need to read the forum rules again. Team forums are supposed to be safe spaces as far as trolling and team-bashing go. So obviously if I showed up here saying "TICATS $UCK!!!!!1!1!" that would be trolling. But how is it wrong for me or LeStaf or any other Als fan to have a friendly discussion with y'all about your team? I have been nothing but respectful in this thread.

Also, we sometimes get Cats fans posting on our board and that's no problem, as long as the conversation is respectful.

As for Collaros, I'll just say that while he may not have won any awards, he is making top coin, being paid like an elite QB, as seymour noted. So I don't think it's unfair to say that he is rated very highly -- by his own team, at any rate, if not at the level of awards and championships (yet).

Personally I don't give a damn who posts on this site or which team they might happen to cheer for . As long as the comments are civil and respectful and about the topic at hand and are in no way disruptive or combative or what I would consider blatant TROLLING then I don't have a problem with it . As a matter of fact there are even some fans of the Cats that I wish wouldn't post in here :lol: (just kidding !!! :wink: ) , but then like Lenny has already stated , that's what the foes list is for. :D

Okay on to other things............As for Collaros , I'll just say that Yes it's true that he hasn't won any awards yet BUT there is no one that can tell me any different or otherwise that the ONLY reason that Zach hasn't won anything yet was because of his unfortunate season ending injury in game 12 of the 2015 season. Zach was ripping it up to that point(25 tds / 70.2 %/ 3,376 yds) and the Cats were literally hammering teams on a regular basis before Collaros and just as importantly blindside Tackle Jake Olson both went down with season ending injuries in that same game against Edmonton. The team had an 8-3 record on the season heading into that game and were an over-all 17 - 7 over their last 24 games played going back to the 2014 season.

Absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that if not for his injury that Collaros is the clear cut runaway winner of the MOP Award in 2015 instead of Burris who basically won the award by default (as well as his All-Star selection) due to Zach's injury. Collaros, if he would've/could've played the entire season would've finished up with close to 40 or more TD's on the season , well over five thousand yds passing and more than likely the team romps to first place in the East and into their 3rd consecutive Grey Cup appearance and a more than likely Grey Cup victory to end the season.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

PreviousNext