Kevin Elliott signs with TiCats and Sinkfield news

Re: Kevin Elliott signs with TiCats and Sinkfield news

by Grover » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Justin Dunk‏@JDunk12 7m7 minutes ago

One year deal for international receiver Kevin Elliott with Hamilton. #Ticats #CFL
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by BYF » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Grover wrote:Drafting McMaster REC Danny Vandervoort at #4 or at #13 would address our NAT REC in the long run.
Losing Matt Coates to Free Agency hurt, I still believe Fantuz will be signed by us.
No matter what happens we need to address our NAT Receiver shortage in this years draft

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/31/present-me ... rt-fantuz/

That was quite an interesting article on Vandervoort and Fantuz. Vandervoort must've taken being compared to Fantuz as quite a compliment.

And I can see this team drafting Vandervoort, as Ptaszek, who coached Vandervoort at Mac, may want him here.

Anyway, that was some good news regarding two receivers who the neighbours down the QEW were generous enough to let us have. It's good to have Elliott here if we'll have four starting American receivers. And I think it would be even better to have Sinkfield back.
Yes, I am that "BobYoungFan" guy. :)
Veteran

by Grover » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am

Vandervoort has Fantuzian like abilities

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by jdc1185 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am

Grover wrote:Vandervoort has Fantuzian like abilities

Looks like he has speed too in order to get behind coverage like that.
Could be a good pick.
Rookie

by Palmer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:22 am

2ez wrote:I laughed...but just wanted to say to bobo that Watt was barely thrown to last year, I will defend that man's season till the cows come home...they never threw it his way, but when they did, he always caught it. That wide side receiver spot can be a death sentence with a bad offensive line who isn't able to give the quarterback any time.

I remember we had this discussion during the season, and the argument that the Cats like to put their Canadian WR at the "Z" position, out in the flat, and then rarely use him. Then, you have other teams, for example, Ottawa, that have four receivers all around or over 1000 yards. To do that, you have throw the ball to all of them, either deep enough to eat up big yards, or open enough to gain them as YAC yards.

It looks like the receiving corp is shaping up with size and speed, now, I suppose, we either need an offensive system to use all receivers and to get the ball out quickly, or strengthen the O-line to create more time so as to target a single receiver. As someone noted, speed in the receivers is not of any use if they are just going to be standing around watching the QB run for his life.

Going to be an interesting first few games!
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 am

jdc1185 wrote:

Could be a good pick.

Except that clip is from a CIS game with a receiver going up against all CIS defenders. Let's see how he does against ex-NFL and NCAA defenders that can cover, are just as fast or faster and can hit hard.
He's going to find out like most CIS receivers, the in the pros it's a different ball game. He may be a great receiver in the CIS but it's likely he will be another backup in the CFL.
There are the exceptions like Fantuz and Sinopoli, two guys that are not afraid to go after a ball and take a hit.
All-Star

by DisplacedCatsFan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Palmer wrote:
2ez wrote:I laughed...but just wanted to say to bobo that Watt was barely thrown to last year, I will defend that man's season till the cows come home...they never threw it his way, but when they did, he always caught it. That wide side receiver spot can be a death sentence with a bad offensive line who isn't able to give the quarterback any time.
Then, you have other teams, for example, Ottawa, that have four receivers all around or over 1000 yards.

That could have been us too, if Fantuz, Tasker, and Owens didn't have season-ending injuries. Those three, along with Tolliver, could most easily eclipsed the 1000-yd mark receiving...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by Palmer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:46 pm

DisplacedCatsFan wrote:That could have been us too, if Fantuz, Tasker, and Owens didn't have season-ending injuries. Those three, along with Tolliver, could most easily eclipsed the 1000-yd mark receiving...

Point taken! However, they were injured and we didn't get the yards. And I believe other teams also had injuries among their receivers? I guess my thought is that if we want Watt to have more yards per season, we have to throw him the ball more often?
Veteran

by ExPat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm

slimjim2 wrote:He's going to find out like most CIS receivers, the in the pros it's a different ball game. He may be a great receiver in the CIS but it's likely he will be another backup in the CFL.
There are the exceptions like Fantuz and Sinopoli, two guys that are not afraid to go after a ball and take a hit.

Sinopoli was never a great CIS receiver. Or even a good one, for that matter.
All-Star

by safetyblitz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm

ExPat wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:He's going to find out like most CIS receivers, the in the pros it's a different ball game. He may be a great receiver in the CIS but it's likely he will be another backup in the CFL.

Which is to say, he wasn't a CIS receiver at all. He was a quarterback, and in his final year of CIS ball he won the Hec Crighton trophy.
All-Star

by BYF » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 pm

jdc1185 wrote:

Could be a good pick.

I don't think I've seen that clip of that highlight reel catch by Vandervoort before. It looks like that was from the CIS game that was played at THF on Labour Day last year. Vandervoort making that one-handed catch was quite impressive, as it looks like Hastings didn't quite throw it to where exactly it should have been thrown. And it looks like Vandervoort is quite speedy as well.

But can he get it done in the CFL? That, of course, is always the question about CIS prospects. I suppose I could trust the judgement of those who'll make the decisions on draft day. We may need to find our future starting Canadian receivers. And so a reason I'd like Fantuz to sign here again is because he could be the de facto assistant receivers coach. He may need to sit out much of the 2017 season, but if he can teach at least some of the things he does, then it would be great to be able to keep him here.
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 am

safetyblitz wrote:
ExPat wrote:

Which is to say, he wasn't a CIS receiver at all. He was a quarterback, and in his final year of CIS ball he won the Hec Crighton trophy.

I never said he was a CIS receiver. The guy is truly amazing, he sat around for a couple of years as a backup QB and then they convert him to a receiver and he becomes a 1,000 yard receiver two years in a row and wins the most outstanding Canadian. A players that was never coached, never played that position in high school or in university.
I don't think he gets enough credit. Has it ever happened in CFL history that a player, either Canadian or American trained as a QB, turns around and becomes a 1,000 yard receiver two years in a row?
All-Star

by tabbiefanmcb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19 pm

BYF wrote:
jdc1185 wrote:

Could be a good pick.

I don't think I've seen that clip of that highlight reel catch by Vandervoort before. It looks like that was from the CIS game that was played at THF on Labour Day last year. Vandervoort making that one-handed catch was quite impressive, as it looks like Hastings didn't quite throw it to where exactly it should have been thrown. And it looks like Vandervoort is quite speedy as well.

But can he get it done in the CFL? That, of course, is always the question about CIS prospects. I suppose I could trust the judgement of those who'll make the decisions on draft day. We may need to find our future starting Canadian receivers. And so a reason I'd like Fantuz to sign here again is because he could be the de facto assistant receivers coach. He may need to sit out much of the 2017 season, but if he can teach at least some of the things he does, then it would be great to be able to keep him here.

Ptaszek will no doubt know (or have some idea at least) how well Vandervoort would adapt to the pros. DV is heading to the NFL combine so could garner some NFL interest although there's no guarantee that he'd stick in the NFL even if he did get signed as an UFA. I think he'd be a good pick in the draft and could be the "heir apparent" to Andy who I also hope will re-sign. I wouldn't discount the other Canadian receivers yet either - Uren and Jones as they could take some big leaps this season. Aprile may not have done much as a receiver but can be a sub in a pinch (yes I've seen him drop passes that should have been caught). However, he is a valuable special teamer and that counts for something.

To return to the title of the thread - I like the Elliott signing - had hoped he'd be back. Add in Sinkfield who has apparently agreed to a contract in principle if no NFL opportunity arises by April (my guess is probably by mini camp time at the latest) and I'd say Collaros will have a very good group of receivers to toss the ball to. The trick of course is going to be staying healthy but surely after 2 injury riddled seasons in a row, more players on the team can catch a break and spend more time on the field in the game instead of watching on the sidelines.
All-Star

by BYF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:57 pm

tabbiefanmcb wrote:
BYF wrote:I don't think I've seen that clip of that highlight reel catch by Vandervoort before. It looks like that was from the CIS game that was played at THF on Labour Day last year. Vandervoort making that one-handed catch was quite impressive, as it looks like Hastings didn't quite throw it to where exactly it should have been thrown. And it looks like Vandervoort is quite speedy as well.

Ptaszek will no doubt know (or have some idea at least) how well Vandervoort would adapt to the pros. DV is heading to the NFL combine so could garner some NFL interest although there's no guarantee that he'd stick in the NFL even if he did get signed as an UFA. I think he'd be a good pick in the draft and could be the "heir apparent" to Andy who I also hope will re-sign. I wouldn't discount the other Canadian receivers yet either - Uren and Jones as they could take some big leaps this season. Aprile may not have done much as a receiver but can be a sub in a pinch (yes I've seen him drop passes that should have been caught). However, he is a valuable special teamer and that counts for something.

To return to the title of the thread - I like the Elliott signing - had hoped he'd be back. Add in Sinkfield who has apparently agreed to a contract in principle if no NFL opportunity arises by April (my guess is probably by mini camp time at the latest) and I'd say Collaros will have a very good group of receivers to toss the ball to. The trick of course is going to be staying healthy but surely after 2 injury riddled seasons in a row, more players on the team can catch a break and spend more time on the field in the game instead of watching on the sidelines.

I suppose I should mention that I had forgotten about Jones, Uren, and Aprile. I'm not expecting much from Aprile, as even after starting a few games here, he still has yet to catch a pass for us. And because Uren was an eighth round draft pick, I'm not expecting a lot from him. And I do know that players who are picked in later rounds and even Canadian players who aren't drafted at all sometimes can do well in this league. Maybe Uren could be one of those pleasant surprises. And Jones does seem to have potential. We have already seen some good returns from him. But it would be nice to have more than one Canadian receiver on the team who could be a future starter.

It is true that this thread about Elliott and Sinkfield has become one that is more about the receiving corps in general. And I'm thinking that if Sinkfield does return, the receiving corps will be fine. Sinkfield would be the replacement for Owens, just as Owens seemed to be brought in to replace Sinkfield.
Veteran

by blackandgld » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Slightly off topic but i wanted to share this little tidbit. I have seen a few upset that there will be no Matt Coates this season for the Cats.
It usually comes up as Austin missed the boat not signing this important National. I for fun just looked up his career numbers.
He had a career high last season 4 receptions.
34 career games
9 catches and 110 yards, over his 3 seasons.
So he averaged 3 catches a year in his CFL career.
He may be more valuable to another team but he was not valuable to us.
I feel better now that is off my chest.
All-Star

PreviousNext