Kevin Elliott signs with TiCats and Sinkfield news

Re: Kevin Elliott signs with TiCats and Sinkfield news

by slimjim2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 am

blackandgld wrote:Slightly off topic but i wanted to share this little tidbit. I have seen a few upset that there will be no Matt Coates this season for the Cats.
It usually comes up as Austin missed the boat not signing this important National. I for fun just looked up his career numbers.
He had a career high last season 4 receptions.
34 career games
9 catches and 110 yards, over his 3 seasons.
So he averaged 3 catches a year in his CFL career.
He may be more valuable to another team but he was not valuable to us.
I feel better now that is off my chest.

But he was a backup just like Vandervoot will be and Jones, Uren, Aprile. They will all have similar numbers over 3 seasons.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:32 am

blackandgld wrote:Slightly off topic but i wanted to share this little tidbit. I have seen a few upset that there will be no Matt Coates this season for the Cats.
It usually comes up as Austin missed the boat not signing this important National. I for fun just looked up his career numbers.
34 career games
9 catches and 110 yards , over 3 seasons.

Which is exactly 9 more catches and 110 yards more than Aprile has had over the same 3 seasons. At least Coates would actually catch the ball when it was thrown to him unlike Aprile who can't seem to catch a cold let alone a pass . I'd take a Coates over an Aprile any day of the week on my team. I still remember Aprile dropping a perfect pass for a TD last year that was right on his numbers . Aprile had impressive overall stats while at Queens and was a top prospect coming out of school (ranked 12th best player in the CFL Amateur Scouting Bureau's final rankings in 2012 ) but it sure hasn't translated or shown yet since he turned pro.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by blackandgld » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:20 am

Aprile was a high draft pick of Winnipeg. We traded Matt Buchnor for him. Winnipeg brought him to camp as a safety. Dude caught 120 balls @ Queens and looks like a football player. Lets hope he plays like one this year!
Funny how things go full circle. Coates ends up in Winnipeg, and we could use Buchnor as some National depth in the defensive backfield. Is he still a FA??
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 am

blackandgld wrote:Aprile was a high draft pick of Winnipeg. We traded Matt Buchnor for him. Winnipeg brought him to camp as a safety. Dude caught 120 balls @ Queens and looks like a football player. Lets hope he plays like one this year!
Funny how things go full circle. Coates ends up in Winnipeg, and we could use Buchnor as some National depth in the defensive backfield. Is he still a FA??

Nope N/A to Bucknor , he was signed by the Lions last month in FA . Ironically though when he was a surprise release after T.Camp in Wnp last year Bucknor had offers from both us and the Stamps. He agreed in principal to a contract here initially to return to Hamilton before changing his mind at the last minute and signing with Calgary instead.

All-Star

by Grover » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Elliot will wear 15 this year, he was 84 last season.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Grover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 am

A nice read here about Tyms and Elliott being best buddies! :rockin:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/14/best-frien ... tigertown/

Last edited by Grover on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by ottawacat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Grover wrote:Elliot will wear 15 this year, he was 84 last season.

He's not alone in changing numbers. According to the roster, as it appears now, on this site:
Terrell Davis is now #33 (was #40)
Larry Dean is now #11 (was #49)
Brian Tyms is now #2 (was #82)
Junior Collins is now #18 (was #87)
Travis Lee is now #9 (was #14)
Cassius Vaughn is now #3 (was #24)
Mike Jones is now #12 (was #85)
Demond Washington will be #24 (was #13 in pre-season 2016 and remained listed, as such, on the injured list throughout the year)
And, it appears that Cleshawn Page will wear a different number (possibly #0) than those (#24 & #92) he's worn previously at a TiCat.
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:42 pm

ottawacat wrote:

He's not alone in changing numbers. According to the roster, as it appears now, on this site:
Demond Washington will be #24 (was #13 in pre-season 2016 and remained listed, as such, on the injured list throughout the year)
And, it appears that Cleshawn Page will wear a different number (possibly #0) than those (#24 & #92) he's worn previously at a TiCat.

I don't know about anybody else but for what it's worth all the constant annual year to year player's swapping out and changing of jersey numbers drives me nuts. It's hard enough to keep track of who is who on the roster with the all the turnover we see season to season as it is without half of the team deciding to switch up numbers. :?

All-Star

by bwf029 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm

bobo82 wrote:
34 career games
9 catches and 110 yards , over 3 seasons.

Which is exactly 9 more catches and 110 yards more than Aprile has had over the same 3 seasons. At least Coates would actually catch the ball when it was thrown to him unlike Aprile who can't seem to catch a cold let alone a pass . I'd take a Coates over an Aprile any day of the week on my team. I still remember Aprile dropping a perfect pass for a TD last year that was right on his numbers . Aprile had impressive overall stats while at Queens and was a top prospect coming out of school (ranked 12th best player in the CFL Amateur Scouting Bureau's final rankings in 2012 ) but it sure hasn't translated or shown yet since he turned pro.

You do understand that Aprile is a special teams beast... Coates...not so much...
Veteran

by bobo82 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:52 am

bwf029 wrote:
bobo82 wrote:
Aprile had impressive overall stats while at Queens and was a top prospect coming out of school (ranked 12th best player in the CFL Amateur Scouting Bureau's final rankings in 2012 ) but it sure hasn't translated or shown yet since he turned pro.

You do understand that Aprile is a special teams beast....

Yup , I'm well aware of Aprile being a special teamer BUT I wouldn't exactly call him a special teams beast . Six tackles over 3 seasons does not exactly make one a beast . I wonder if you understand or realize that Aprile has also missed 30 out of a possible 54 games in his 3 seasons here either spending time on the IL or PR at one time or another . So basically he has missed or not dressed at an avg of 10 games per season since joining the Cats in a trade in 2014 . I'm sorry but I'm just not a big fan of the guy considering his career and stats at Queens and his number 12 ranking in his draft class of 2012 . He just hasn't shown me anything so far in his 3 years here that would convince me that so far he hasn't been anything more than a total bust since turning pro. I almost hate to say it but in reality if Aprile didn't have a Canadian passport he probably would've been released or cut a long time ago by this team. Especially when you consider the fact that he has actually spent the majority of his time as a Cat either on the IL or PR in his 3 seasons here and hasn't really done much of anything to impress anybody when he has been on the active roster.

All-Star

by Grover » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 am

Receiver is a very important position in Austin's Offence.
Austin must see something in Aprile or he would not be given this big opportunity with Fantuz out and Coates gone.
I will trust Austin's judgement on this.
If the TiCats draft Vandervoort, it will answer a lot of questions.
All-Star

by Tipper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:21 am

ottawacat wrote:

8) Just proves the fact that it is a waste of money to buy a "personalized Jersey" with the name and number of most of
the current players !!

If you are so inclined to shell out big bucks for one, you are far better off getting the Name and Number of a former
great TiCat player from the past, such as Henley, Coffey, Bethea, Barrow, Krouse, Zuger, etc.

At least they kept their same numbers for their entire TiCat careers !!
All-Star

Previous