Argos

Argos

by Obrigardo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Rumours of popp and Tresman to the argos
Starter

Re: Argos

by steeltownguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 am

I think Trestman is a great choice for coach, one of the biggest disappointments last season was seeing a CFL team (even if that team was the Argos) get a new stadium, but fall further from the limelight than ever in their own home city.

Trestman could bring some legitimacy back to the organisation, Popp on the other hand...

Maybe it is my personal opinion but I find Jim Popp to be a weasel, the way he GM's the way he coaches, I am not a fan of either. There are plenty of ways to re-invigorate this great rivalry and slapping a chump like Popp in the GM office is probably the worst way to do it.
Practice Squad

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

You can't make the Argos relevant again by remote control out of North Carolina.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by smogmonster » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:42 am

Trestman :thup:

Popp :thdn:
Veteran

by Palmer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:58 pm

steeltownguy wrote:Maybe it is my personal opinion but I find Jim Popp to be a weasel, the way he GM's the way he coaches, I am not a fan of either. There are plenty of ways to re-invigorate this great rivalry and slapping a chump like Popp in the GM office is probably the worst way to do it.

I can't disagree, but I have to say that Popp built a tremendous organization in Montreal, and other than his forays into the coaching ranks, was a shrewd manager in picking up talent via scouting and trades. Trestman re-vitalized the players, especially AC, and seems well suited to the CFL game.

I don't like either guy, but the proof is in the pudding. If past performance is any indication of future performance, the Argos will soon be a force in the CFL.
Veteran

by BIGCAT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Have to wait until it's a done deal but it certainly seems to be the way it's headed with Popp and Trestman joining forces again in the CFL and this time probably in Toronto.

I predicted this back when Barker and Milanovich were let go by the Arblows and Popp was let go by Montreal earlier that it would be a good fit to have Popp & Trestman in Toronto?

Will wait and see??

GO CATS GO!!
All-Star

by Obrigardo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:08 pm

smogmonster wrote:Trestman :thup:

Popp :thdn:

I think having Tresman as coach will keep popp in check
Starter

by of course » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 pm

I think that if Trestman, the QB coahing guru, becomes coach in T.O., the chances are highly likely that Popp tries to persuade Tillman to trade Manziel's rights to Toronto. I see this trade happening at the upcoming CFL draft.
Starter

by hendy77 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:18 pm

I don't see Trestman coming at all. He still has chances of landing an NFL gig...not as a head coach.
THIS…is our year.
All-Star

by stevehvh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 am

If Popp goes to Toronto, that doesn't necessarily mean Trestman will automatically go there too as head coach. I'm sure he'll examine all the opportunities available, if any, and decide which is the most attractive at this stage in his career. At 61, he could just as easily decide to retire rather than ramp it up again in the CFL to try to reprise his success of years ago.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by PatLynch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:54 am

I believe Trestman has one year remaining on his hated "Ravines" contract. The Argos would certainly have to compensate him for that year as well as a long term deal in the Big Smoke.

I hope Popp and Trestman go to Toronto. It would be good for the Argo fans and good for the league. We need a solid Toronto franchise. :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by Obrigardo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm

stevehvh wrote:If Popp goes to Toronto, that doesn't necessarily mean Trestman will automatically go there too as head coach. I'm sure he'll examine all the opportunities available, if any, and decide which is the most attractive at this stage in his career. At 61, he could just as easily decide to retire rather than ramp it up again in the CFL to try to reprise his success of years ago.

I don't think popp gets the job if he can't deliver tresman
Starter

by tabbiefanmcb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:23 pm

From what I've read/heard and recall - Copeland outright said that he wasn't going after Popp some time ago but it seems anyone else from the NFL he's tried to interest in the job has rebuffed him. I've also heard that the blue guys want Trestman but he won't come without Popp. Another little tidbit that I think came from a fan comment so read into what you will - Copeland and Popp didn't really get along well when Copeland worked for the league so I can imagine that he'd be gritting his teeth at having to hire him as his GM. Certainly makes his earlier statement about not going after Popp make sense. I think Trestman can make the Argos better - maybe - not sure about Popp based on the past 2-3 seasons in Montreal. Of course they'll both inherit a roster not of their making and have to live with it for the most part, this coming season.

I listened to the most recent episode of the Waggle where they talked to Desjardins and heard some interesting insight about the way Popp handled signing players in Montreal (remember MD served as an assistant there for a while). Popp tended to sign players to big 2 year contracts knowing that in order to make the cap, he'd have to ask them to restructure and take pay cuts in the second year Sound familiar? Apparently the team was always madly trying to get under the salary cap by the end of training camp because Popp tended to overextend. Probably explains why they let Ellis and White walk after training camp last season saying that they weren't "good enough".
It sounds like Desjardins learned what NOT to do as a GM during his time under Popp.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 am

Week 1 kicks off FOUR MONTHS from now, still plenty of time for the Argos to make some big changes. I see another blockbuster trade coming.
All-Star

by stevehvh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am

Obrigardo wrote:
stevehvh wrote:If Popp goes to Toronto, that doesn't necessarily mean Trestman will automatically go there too as head coach. I'm sure he'll examine all the opportunities available, if any, and decide which is the most attractive at this stage in his career. At 61, he could just as easily decide to retire rather than ramp it up again in the CFL to try to reprise his success of years ago.

I don't think popp gets the job if he can't deliver tresman

Maybe, but it would be a strange way of operating if the GM, who is the boss of the head coach, is dependent on having the HC in place in order to get his GM job, and if the HC is there to keep the GM "in check". Kind of putting the cart before the horse. If that's the way it's going to be, the GM seems superfluous. Why not just hire the HC and make him GM as well?
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

Next