Rumour, Ticats make offer to Fantuz

Re: Rumour, Ticats make offer to Fantuz

by habcat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Grover wrote:The TiCats will be tight against the Cap with Collaros' contract kicking in for a $270K raise on his last contract.
I would think that Tolliver just signed for a nice raise and they signed Fulton also.
Owens was reportedly making $200K on his last years contract, the only way I would want him back is for less than one half of that. If he wants to sign for $90K and stay close to his family and then collect some playoff bonus $'s, I would welcome him.
It would be DB Emanuel Davis that has earned and deserves a decent contract over Owens,
I would prefer what little Cap $'s we have left on Davis, another F.A. DB(Rico) and Sinkfield

I agree with all of your statement there! Yes to Owens but only at the right price!
Veteran

by cats99 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:55 am

Boys your forgetting two major facts on Andy #1 he is a Canadian!
And #2 he has played way back for Austin in Saskatchewan and Austin knows Andy very well and would trust his gut feeling on performance/ Health vs Cost
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

cats99 wrote:Boys your forgetting two major facts on Andy #1 he is a Canadian!
And #2 he has played way back for Austin in Saskatchewan and Austin knows Andy very well and would trust his gut feeling on performance/ Health vs Cost

But he's had major ACL surgery and he won't finish rehab until July, the coach and Fantuz have no idea what he will be like after he returns. He could be as good as he was or he may not recover from it, there is no "gut feeling" when you have had major surgery.
All-Star

by ExPat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:14 pm

So what's the downside? If he can't return to form we keep him on the injured list all year with no cap hit. And if he does return to form, we have one of the top Canadian receivers in the league who has great rapport with our QBs and coaches. And obviously we will have someone else taking his spot to start the season, so if/when Andy returns we will have better depth at receiver.
All-Star

by BillyDee87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:59 pm

ExPat wrote:So what's the downside? If he can't return to form we keep him on the injured list all year with no cap hit. And if he does return to form, we have one of the top Canadian receivers in the league who has great rapport with our QBs and coaches. And obviously we will have someone else taking his spot to start the season, so if/when Andy returns we will have better depth at receiver.

Hard to argue with this logic.

Fantuz in form makes the Cats a better team.
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.
All-Star

by Grover » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Drew EdwardsVerified account ‏@scratchingpost 2h2 hours ago
#Ticats agree to terms with Canadian receiver Giovanni Aprile

Would rather have seen Coates as a replacement for Fantuz if that is the plan!
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by schmenger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 pm

I agree Grover, I would have preferred Coates. There still some time before FA.
Starter

by ExPat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 pm

schmenger wrote:There still some time before FA.

Currently 13 hours ...
All-Star

by cats99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Anybody have any news on Andy and his rehab ?! Hope he is doing well and will be catching the pigskin sooner than later.
The 13th Man At THF- Loud and Proud
All-Star

by Slomojo2005 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 pm

PatLynch wrote:Fantuz is a big part of Cat offence. If you're complaining about his speed, then you never saw Hugh Campbell play. The guy ran great routes and caught everything. His speed was glacial but glaciers pound rocks. Back in the day, our best Db was Garney Henley and his assignment was to try to contain Campbell. It was the hare guarding the tortoise but the tortoise caught his fair share. Campbell was that good and so is Andy.

I hope Andy is back with the TiCats. :D :D :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

Alelluia. Well said Pat. Need him back.
Rookie

by Slomojo2005 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
ExPat wrote:
heapbag wrote:
Fantuz is to ME is as polarizing as Banks/Owens/Dyakowski.

Good thing you included "to ME". Traditionally, "polarizing" would imply lots of people on each side of an issue. I'm not sure there are too many on your side. Granted he has to come back from injury, but if he does (as he has in the past) I expect him to be at or close to his 2016 performance level. I didn't hear a lot of complaints last year as he was breaking records.

I think his rehab will take him into the end of July so he will likely start the season on the 6 game and his salary won't count against the cap.
I wouldn't expect him to be at or close to his 2016 performance level, he will be recovering from an ACL and 35 years old. If he hasn't recovered by august then they give him the opportunity to retire or he's released.

33 going on 34....... still young enough to put up some good numbers.
Rookie

by ottawacat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm

It'll be interesting to see, and it sounds like we may soon, how creative the club is in signing Andy. It was VERY unfortunate, for him, to blow out his knee, with only 1 game and a playoff game to go, before completing his final season, prior to becoming a free agent. It doesn't make sense for the club to sign him now and give him $10,000. game cheques through this coming season when, at best, he might play a very few games, very late in the schedule. If/when he makes it back on the field, I want him to be TiCat, but at what cost is a big question. I think I said it before, somewhere in one of these threads, that maybe he could "retire" and be paid, outside the cap, as a coaching "consultant" or team "ambassador" until he's healthy and ready to come out of retirement, with maybe bigger game cheques then, if, and when, that occurs.
All-Star

by Grover » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Ticats closing in on deal with Andy Fantuz, says Austin

Hamilton Tiger-Cats general manager and head coach Kent Austin left the strong impression that the team is close to an agreement with free agent Canadian receiver Andy Fantuz.

“I think we’ll have some pretty good news here soon,” Austin said. “We’ll just leave it at that.”

“We want him to be here and Andy wants to be here and we’re just working through the situation,” Austin said. “But I think we’re going to come to a pretty positive conclusion shortly.”

More here
http://3downnation.com/2017/04/25/ticat ... ys-austin/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 pm

It's looking good according to Drew Edwards in these two recent tweets from today :

:D :rockin: :D :rockin:

Drew Edwards @scratchingpost - 4h
Kent Austin says #Ticats closing in on a deal with Andy Fantuz
#CFL
3Downnation.com/2017/04/25/tic...

Drew Edwards @scratchingpost - 7h
#Ticats head coach Kent Austin says he's expecting good news on free agent
Canadian receiver Andy Fantuz .
#CFL
3Downnation.com/2017/04/25/tic...

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by RiX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am

Count Floyd wrote:
PatLynch wrote:Fantuz is a big part of Cat offence. If you're complaining about his speed, then you never saw Hugh Campbell play. The guy ran great routes and caught everything. His speed was glacial but glaciers pound rocks. Back in the day, our best Db was Garney Henley and his assignment was to try to contain Campbell. It was the hare guarding the tortoise but the tortoise caught his fair share. Campbell was that good and so is Andy.

I hope Andy is back with the TiCats. :D :D :D

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

I agree 100%. The Hall of Fame is full of guys with less than blazing speed but great hands like Andy has: DiPietro, Brian Kelly, Ben Cahoon, Ray Elgaard, Darren Flutie....Fantuz will certainly join them one day. Here's hoping we get to watch him in black & gold for another couple of years.

When you're in a jam, and there's a guy in the endzone, you want hands like Fantuz...or Tasker. You don't always need 45 yard bombs to win football games, that just puts the ball back in the hands of the opponent faster. As long as he can run the first 10 yards fast and make the catch, the rest is gravy.
Starter

PreviousNext