Schedule Release

Re: Schedule Release

by Grover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Fri. SEPT 22nd HAM @ BC 11:00 PM EST :cry: :cry:
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Slomojo2005 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:55 pm

safetyblitz wrote:Zero afternoon home games until the playoffs.

Late start on labour day, I guess to maximize the number of fights in the stands?

But the worst thing is having our bye weeks stacked into the first half of the schedule, where they provide the least benefit to the team.

Maybe the early bye weeks will keep people healthy further into the season. Don't mind them at all. Decent schedule except for the Friday 7pm starts.
Starter

by ottawacat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Looking at the schedule, as coaches and players would, I certainly don't like the last 10 games with no bye and having only 4 non-playing days, between games, preceding both regular season visits to Ottawa. That's particularly bad, considering the RedBlacks have 8 non-playing days prior to the first of those games and 13 before the second. TheCats also have another short week, like that, but it's not as bad being between 2 home games in July. I wonder if they might stay and practise in Calgary, after playing there at the end of July, rather than coming home and then going back west to Edmonton? Less likely, but also a possibility, would be not coming home between the late October games in Montreal and Ottawa.
All-Star

by DogsFan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm

James wrote:Ugh, they're killing me. While I like the flow of this season's schedule much more than last year's, we've got a Thursday night game, and 3 Friday night games with 7pm start times. Weeknight games are always hard for people to get to, and to add insult, they're starting 3 of them at 7pm instead of 7:30pm. I hate arriving late, and 6 of the 10 home games (including pre-season) are going to be a pain to get to on time. Seriously, what does the CFL have against Saturday and Sunday games, when people can actually arrive early and have a good time without the stress of fighting traffic after work? If they want better attendance, enough with these weeknight games. Might be time to drop the $4,000 season tickets and just start buying $19 single game tickets for the weekend games.

CFL doesn't have anything against Saturaday games, they just gave them all to the F*cking argos. So many weeknight games for us, and the Argos play 5 Saturday games to try and boost their attendance. I am sick of the way the league bends over backwards for that pathetic excuse for a professional sports franchise. I've seriously had enough. Friday night games suck. Rush from work to the game, get a bite to eat if you can, no chance of tailgating. Ticats games drawing 25,000 are moved to Fridays so the Argos can get their 10,000 fans in their seats on time. It's a joke.
Starter

by ExPat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Grover wrote:Fri. SEPT 22nd HAM @ BC 11:00 PM EST :cry: :cry:

That was one of the most glaring issues I saw.

BC plays 7 of its 9 home games at 10pm EST or later, which is a big disadvantage for Eastern teams in particular (playing football when their bodies think they should be sleeping). This year the opponents for the earlier games are Sask (who would not be disadvantaged by a late start) and Ottawa.

I think I checked once, and Hamilton never gets to start earlier in BC. As in ... never. The other Eastern teams take turns from one year to the next playing afternoon games there, but we always start late. And the scheduling gods must have read my mind when I complained about 10pm, and decided to give us an 11pm start instead. Next year, can I hear midnight?
All-Star

by 2ez » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 pm

My main takeaway is that death run from June 15th-Aug 4th...in a 20 day span we get to play EDM twice, then CGY and BC...4 games in 20 days is crazy, but then it has to be against three of the best teams in the league of course. I'd be happy if we went 1-3 and ecstatic if they managed 2-2 during that stretch.

The bye weeks suck, nobody needs a week 2 bye, I understand that's how it has to be but it is still dumb, especially when they cram both in the first ten weeks.

From the stretch of death to Sept 15th will be what makes or breaks this team. After those four tough games, they then get to play WPG, OTT, TOR at home, then head to OTT for a road game, then back to THF for a contest with the Riders. In my mind they have to go 4-1 in those 5 games if they want a winning record and a shot at first place ... 3-2 at the very least, and please don't lose to Ottawa twice.

Last three games could be very interesting depending on how the rest of the division shakes out, weird that we won't see Montreal till week 18.

This schedule as Drew Edwards noted, is nice for fans, but a pain in the a** for the team. I am just hoping for a .500 record and a healthy team come playoff time. I will say it is nice not to have a ridiculous amount of back to backs or a stretch of 5-6 weeks away from THF.

This one is a real head scratcher, I can't remember a game ever starting at 11:00pm in B.C...it'll be 1:00am ET by time that game is over, and just be hitting midnight around halftime, that's a crazy advantage for the Lions.
Veteran

by Palmer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 pm

ExPat wrote:I think I checked once, and Hamilton never gets to start earlier in BC. As in ... never.

This has been a gripe of mine for years. Yet BC plays here on a Saturday with a 7:30 start? Why not a 1:00 pm start and mess with their "body clocks". If we can PVR the 11:00 Eastern Time start, the BC fans can PVR a 10:00 am start?

I have complained to the Commissioners Office three times over four years, and so far, have received zero replies.
Veteran

by 2ez » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Just took a peak at the Argos schedule...apparently they will be joining the NCAA when the semester starts in September...9 out of their last 10 games are on a Saturday, with the outlier being Labour Day...guess you gotta give the league credit for trying.
Veteran

by Evil Doctor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Grover wrote:Here it is

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/

Bye weeks, week 2 and week 10

1st home game, week 4 vrs BC

No afternoon home games...

Absolutely freakin' wonderful....

:x
Starter

by hendy77 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm missing three...without any other commitments that I know of yet!

Sheesh!
1-17, here we go.
All-Star

by RiX » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 am

DogsFan wrote:CFL doesn't have anything against Saturaday games, they just gave them all to the F*cking argos. So many weeknight games for us, and the Argos play 5 Saturday games to try and boost their attendance. I am sick of the way the league bends over backwards for that pathetic excuse for a professional sports franchise. I've seriously had enough. Friday night games suck. Rush from work to the game, get a bite to eat if you can, no chance of tailgating. Ticats games drawing 25,000 are moved to Fridays so the Argos can get their 10,000 fans in their seats on time. It's a joke.

I think what they fail to realize is that most Argo fans probably live and work in Toronto. While many Ticat fans commute closer to Toronto for work and have to fight traffic to get home on a daily basis. I, myself work in the west end of Toronto (Jane & Bloor), and commute daily to Mud and Upper Centennial. Luckily I have every other Friday off, but the one game in November, I leave work at 530 and the game starts a 7. I'll be lucky to make it before kickoff and that's with a direct drive to the stadium. I understand that my situation isn't typical, but I'm sure there are others with a similar situation. Trying to get home from Mississauga, Oakville or Burlington is a nightmare in itself.

Friday games in Toronto would be perfect. People could leave work, grab something to eat on their way down to BMO. Those who work there but live outside TO wouldn't have to make that extra trip in on Saturday for a game. I've done it for Blue Jay games and I hate it.
Starter

by Wildcat42 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

@Rix - I completely agree. I work in DT Toronto and try and organize an outing to the Argos every year. Always look for a weekday game as people are more interested in going after work than on weekends. But it is a bit difficult to get down to BMO by streetcar, but its not terrible. And once you are there the atmosphere is so much better than the dome.

As for the Tiger-cat schedule... I will really miss the afternoon games. Nothing quite beats sitting in the warmth of the summer and watching football outdoors. And then as the weather turns cooler we have all evening games. As mentioned above I work DT Toronto so its difficult for me to get back for a 7:30 start, never mind a 7:00 start time on a Friday night. All that said I will make best efforts. Perhaps the idea is to sell more beverages to fans rather than have them drink outside the stadium. I know Friday night sales must be greater as people may not have as much time to tailgate after work?

On another point, I noticed there are 4 instances I think week 5, 15, 19 and 20 (I'm not looking at schedule so could be wrong) where there are overlapping games. I generally try and watch all the games in a season, and this year it seems more of the western games start on Friday night before the eastern game is finished. I counted 4 instances of that. Not sure why the league couldn't have pushed the kickoff out of those games 30 mins or 1hr (to allow for potential OT or TV pre-game).
Rookie

by mightypope » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:21 am

ExPat wrote:I think I checked once, and Hamilton never gets to start earlier in BC. As in ... never.

1974, 1981 and 1984 were the last times the 'Cats have played an afternoon game in Vancouver 2:00 p.m. (5:00 ET). Thirty-three years is a long time for not having an afternoon game in B.C.. I do know that when Braley owned both the Lions and Argos that Toronto played several afternoon games in B.C. so the time difference wouldn't have been as disruptive.
All-Star

by ottawacat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

The boat boys' schedule is interesting. In their first 7 games, they've got 4 short weeks, each with only 4 non-playing days between games. While we have no day games at home, they've got 6 afternoon starts at BMO; 5 on Saturdays @ 4 o'clock and 1, same time, on a Sunday.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 pm

ExPat wrote:

That was one of the most glaring issues I saw.

BC plays 7 of its 9 home games at 10pm EST or later, which is a big disadvantage for Eastern teams in particular (playing football when their bodies think they should be sleeping). This year the opponents for the earlier games are Sask (who would not be disadvantaged by a late start) and Ottawa.

I think I checked once, and Hamilton never gets to start earlier in BC. As in ... never. The other Eastern teams take turns from one year to the next playing afternoon games there, but we always start late. And the scheduling gods must have read my mind when I complained about 10pm, and decided to give us an 11pm start instead. Next year, can I hear midnight?

But the Lions have the worst travel time of any team, they have to fly to all away games. At least when the Ticats play at BMO it's a short drive, they don't stay overnight in a hotel. The Ticats can also take a train to Ottawa & Montreal, same with all the teams in the east.
To overcome the west coast time lag most teams are flying in two days earlier on a charter flight.
It's not a problem, the only tiredness or body clock issue are fans that want to stay up and watch the games.
I see that Ottawa plays in Vancouver on Saturday afternoon at 4PM local, 7PM est, that's brutal
All-Star

PreviousNext